Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Pyromancer Ascension

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Re: [Deck] Pyromancer Ascension

You need to have another copy, that's the same with flashback. Those spells are on stack while being played.

Edit: strange Rufus claims the contrary. I might have missed something?

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

Maybe taking this in another direction? This may be a crazy thought, but what about getting rid of the blue? R/W/G maybe. Chaining Orim's Chants seems just as strong as Turnabout and is safer against AnT and countermagic. The color combo gives access to Naya Charm which is a little redundency with Regrowth and it has a couple other relevant modes. White gives Enlightened Tutor to find your Ascension, but it loses some usefulness after you get the first one. Lightning Helix seems good for the life gain in some matchups (AnT). Silence from the board for AnT? Wrath of God for Zoo, Goblins, etc.

The really hard part about it is the lack of card draw or tutors. Maybe Gamble wouldn't be so bad with the regrowth effects?
    Agreed. It kinda looks a little better via Orim's chant against combo or as protection against control. The only problem is how do you get redundancy of cards? You lose cantrips, and tutors. Sylvan Library sounds legit, as does enlightened tutor. In game 1 you could have 2 or so MD Isochron Scepters for Scepter + Chant (obviously it gets hosed G2 but its good all the same) or you can go for helix + chant against aggro. Red also gives you Burning Wish (but wish is RFG after so minor draw back, and you will then have to run 3 copies of everything MD.

Yeah, AK is definitely needed in this. Drawing 6 for 2 mana just seems too good to pass up.
    Last edited by TOGITwill; 11-25-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: not reading previous posts.
    Team Donkeypunch

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Kindle might actually make some decent early creature kill and a finisher in a weird way. Odd, but definitely possible and worth trying.

Steve Carpenter's my friend.
    Feb 2009
    Poughkeepsie, Ny.

SB:
    11x
    4 spell pierce
    You need to protect Pyromancer Ascension while staying alive/activating seems cool because it holds its straight in the late game if pyro is active.

K-grip just seems annoying so I like the 4 regrowth.

Possible ideas coming out of my head are:
    Spell pierce
    Bob
    impulse

Nov 2009
    Moscow, Russia

when ascension is charged up, manamorphose seems good here.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveric78f View Post
    Edit: strange Rufus claims the contrary. I might have missed something?
    Nah, I just need to remember the rules.

If you have trouble cutting cards then cut them to 3 and put the other one in the sideboard and play Cunning Wish x3 or so. Meaning effectively playing your cards x6 in the main. Seems good enough for me.

Team Lucksack - Founder
    Oct 2007
    Columbus, Ohio

I don't know that this will ever be tier 1, or 1.5 even, but it seems like an optimized deck would be fun to bring to a small event. It seems like it plays like the izzet precon deck, where the endgame involved copying your burn spells multiple times aimed at your opponent's dome. My take/list:

4 pyro ascention
    4 intuition
    4 regrowth

4 brainstorm
    4 ponder
    4 acumulated knoledge
    4 manamorphose

2 repulse
    4 lightning bolt
    4 magma jet

4 force of will

4 scalding tarn
    1 strand
    1 delta
    2 misty
    4 volcanic island
    2 tropical island
    1 underground sea
    1 tundra
    1 island
    1 mountain

SB:
    4 jund charm
    4 spell pierce
    4 life burst (probably the only way to beat sliegh/burn other than the DECK nonbo of chalice @ 1) (unsure if we should even bother to board for this, as even with burst, its not favorable at all, short of double/triple burst. If this or jund charm is not run, the tundra/sea can be replaced with trops)
    3 krosan grip

IMO, with 8 burn spells and regrowth in the deck, I don't think we need another kill mech, as a charged ascention, regrowth, and two used burn spells is quite a lot of damage, and regrowthing regrowths with an active ascention is the hotness.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Phasing is absurdly complicated. Did you know that if a token phases out with Equipment attached to it, the Equipment phases out, the token will cease to exist and the Equipment will never phase back in?

Well, now you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Media314r8 View Post
    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

First question that pops in my head.

Is it faster then burn.dec itself?

If not why would we even play this over it?
    Afcorse it looks very cool in my eyes but are we even able to force the ascension on the board?

Nov 2007
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Waikiki View Post
    First question that pops in my head.

Is it faster then burn.dec itself?

If not why would we even play this over it?
    Afcorse it looks very cool in my eyes but are we even able to force the ascension on the board?
    Having access to more colors gives the pilot different answers to handle more crappy situations.

Also, because it plays cantrips and FoW, I think this deck at least deserves some development. Simply because they are, well, good cards

But on the other hand, the deck has a more fragile mana base than Burn and I believe it is a bit slower. (I haven't tested it at all)
    "You're English is terrible and inconsistent."

-DownSyndromeKarl

Nov 2006
    Hungary

This is not a burn deck, it's a combo control deck. The fact that the card has "Pyromancer" in the name is an accident. You can kill by recurring Vision Charm for all I care. You can use significant amounts of burn in it if you want to, but nowhere does it say that you have to.

Anyway, judging by the fact that 0 other adepts have posted in the thread, I assume the deck is probably crap either way.
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

Dec 2006
    Spain

Playing URG, you can cut Green if you play Relearn. It can't return the Ascension, but can recover any other card in the deck.

With the WGR version you can play Early Harvest to get infinite mana

I am skeptical of the deck's ability to ever beat a Counterbalance.

Really though, I'm unimpressed because I don't think you have any real ways to get majorly ahead. Even when you're going off with Pyromancer's Ascension, you need to combo to do it. The T2 lists have stuff like Cruel Ultimatum and Time Warp. Those are fine on their own. It seems like your goal is trade, trade trade, trade, not have a way to stop Goyf and lose.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Anusien, the list I posted in the Regrowth/Pyromancer Ascension deck thread is designed to get around this. It's designed to be able to get ahead with the Ascension, and only use the Ascension in the late game. Rather than using the Standard deck's strategy where it copies huge spells for insurmountable advantages, it recurs cheap spells to get big effects every turn (like 6 damage lighting bolts and Draw 2/Tap 2 ices).

Nov 2006
    Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post
    I am skeptical of the deck's ability to ever beat a Counterbalance.

Really though, I'm unimpressed because I don't think you have any real ways to get majorly ahead. Even when you're going off with Pyromancer's Ascension, you need to combo to do it. The T2 lists have stuff like Cruel Ultimatum and Time Warp. Those are fine on their own. It seems like your goal is trade, trade trade, trade, not have a way to stop Goyf and lose.
    Doubling all your cantrips and Regrowths will get you quite a bit ahead. And the deck still has something like 8-10 free slots which can be used for affecting the board or whatever.

But as I said it's probably insufficiently good either way. Was just an idea.
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

If I go through that much work, I want to more than double all my cantrips. Casting Divination for {U} is pretty lame. For that matter, {R} for 6 damage is only exciting to me because it kills Goyf, and Early Frost has never been an awesome card.
    Magic Level 3 Judge

Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

It's much better than early frost (which is terrible). The drawing 2 cards is what makes it a good play--you can cut them off from a color for a turn, stalling them, plus you draw 2 cards for 2 mana. That's a powerful play that can easily seal the game. Or, you can tap their creatures and draw 2, another powerful play.

No, it's not. Tapping guys and drawing cards is a great way to stall for a turn, but then they destroy your Ascension with Krosan Grip and you lose. If this is to be a deck, you have to find a good way to affect the board permanently. Something like Rite of Replication. If only there were a control magic instant or sorcery besides Dominate that doesn't suck.
    Magic Level 3 Judge

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

Double Post deleted

Thread Information