Thread: Ω Stompy (Artifact/Blue Tomb Aggro)

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

Ω Stompy (Artifact/Blue Tomb Aggro)

Heya. Managed to eke out some free time in my life to play online magic again. Noticed that I've been out of the loop long enough to know f all about sets following Ravnica Returns. Decided to solve the issue by not letting my opponents play their fancy new spells no more. Enter another iteration of artifact 8-ball.

Lands (25)
    2 Island
    1 Seat of the Synod
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Wasteland
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Blinkmoth Nexus
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb

Creatures (20)
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Trinket Mage
    4 Master of Etherium
    4 Phyrexian Metamorph
    4 Lodestone Golem

Stuff (15)
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Welding Jar
    1 Sigil of Distinction
    3 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Crucible of Worlds

Sideboard (15)
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Engineered Explosives
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Masticore

The gameplan with stompy decks is, as always, to Chalice @1, ramp to 3-4 mana and pray that your beaters get there before the opponent can recover. I always did like artifact stompy shells for a variety of reasons. Most importantly, they somewhat get away with running more lands than the Chrome Mox variants due to utility lands and low color requirements. Since the printing of Metamorph there's also a sensible creature base in the 3-4 cost bracket around which to base the strategy - copying either MoE or Lodestone is usually enough to seal the game when the opponent doesn't have an immediate answer, and there's plenty of tricks to play with it as boardstate dictates. Revoker and Trinket Mage are both solid if uninspiring creatures in their own right. The trinket toolbox should be fairly self-explanatory - chalice because, seat for a guaranteed land drop and Sigil of Distinction for when there's f all going on in your hand and you need a hail mary beater. The exception is Welding Jar, which is surprisingly.. good? Most tomb decks folds like a pack of cards if the opponent happens to pack an answer to their main question - this 0-mana spells ensures they need 2. Likewise, Caverns making the main threat uncounterable adds a modicum of staying power. Jitte because I hate the swords of whatever and Crucible since wastelock plays into the Lodestone/Metamorph denial plan and it can sometimes recur manlands for those last few points of damage.

Sideboard should be self-explanatory. Graveyard hate because legacy, EE because Elves and assorted Delver shenanigans, Thorn because having 16 lock pieces + Trinket + Metamorph is amusing vs control/combo, Crucible because wastelock with resistors is the only way I see this beating miracles ever and Masticore because little green creatures of various varieties.

What else? I suppose the manabase could probably support Magus of the Moon if I were to swap out the Islands for Volcanics but.. better not. Anyone else got experience with this kind of jank they want to share?

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

Re: Ω Stompy (Artifact/Blue Tomb Aggro)

Trinisphere seems at home here, though I suppose with Lodestone Golem adding to costs, it might invalidate sphere rather quickly (especially if you're copying Lodestones with Metamorphs).

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

Trinisphere hasn't been good maindecked in any tomb deck since Armaggeddon Stax. In fairness, it wasn't all that good in stax either.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitium View Post
    Trinisphere hasn't been good maindecked in any tomb deck since Armaggeddon Stax. In fairness, it wasn't all that good in stax either.
    Well that's just nonsense.
    Hill Giant means business.

Quote Originally Posted by kusumoto View Post
    Well that's just nonsense.
    Agreed. It was the best turn one play that deck had. Trinisphere is very good.

From my phone. I do my best, dammit!

Thread Information