Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Counter-Rebel Still

Oct 2010
    Germany

Re: Counter-Rebel Still

Hey,

i played rebels yesterday at our tournament. Went 4:0 with the following list:

1 Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero
    2 Mirror Entity
    2 Defiant Falcon
    4 Ramosian Lieutenant
    4 Ramosian Sergeant
    1 Amrou Scout
    1 Knight of the holy Nimbus
    1 Big Game Hunter

4 Brainstorm
    4 Training Grounds
    4 Force of Will
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Daze
    4 Spell Pierce

3 Tundra
    5 Plains
    3 Island
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Polluted Delta
    3 Gaea's Cradle

Sideboard:

1 Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero
    1 Runed Halo
    2 Serenity
    3 Hydroblast
    1 Children of Korlis
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Bound in Silence
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Worship
    1 Aven Riftwatcher
    1 Relic of Progenitus

Played against Dredge (2:1), CounterTopThopter UWr (2:1), Solidarity (2:0) and MonoU Merfolk (2:0)
    Most games were close, i think i could've won one more game against CBTop but i messed up. Solidarity found his 4th Land too late G1 and i could stop him with double Spell Pierce and Daze. G2 he never found a 3rd land, so that was a little lucky on my part.

After this i feel like 4 Pierce main was great. It won me at least 3 games. I'm not that happy with my sideboard though. I think i will remove Worship and at least 1 Hydroblast for somethink else.

Jun 2010
    Germany

nice!

wow, 3 Gaea's Cradle. I played only 1 last time but Children of Korlis and Aven Riftwatcher main. As I got 3 Cradles anway I'm gonna try it out :)
    sb Serenity is great right now,too right?

Oct 2010
    Germany

3 Cradle works well so far, i raised the land count to 22 to fit them in.
    Serenity is decent right now. I used it against CBTop, but i brought them mainly for affinity and MUD.

Dec 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark

This deck surprises me! I just thought I would play some rebels for some good laughs, but after testing against AggroBant, going 7-3, I am surprised by the strength of the deck! The endless blockers and uncounterable Mirror Entities are a much bigger threat than I initially thought they would be. Maybe it's because I didn't play during the MM times, and as such never witnessed the power of rebels, but I still take my hats off to you guys. Smooth ride :)

Mar 2008
    Indianapolis, IN

Nicely done preddi , and yeah man about that solidarity matchup . its horrible unless lady luck is on our side .

Oct 2010
    Germany

Hey, now after the New Phyrexia spoiler is online, i was a little disappointed becaurse there were no rebels again :/...
    But i think Mental Mistep could be a nice addition to the deck. I'm trying to find space for it. As i really love my spell pierces main, i thought maybe Swords or Daze could go.
    What do you guys think?
    I'd love to raise the blue count a little with it and i think it's actually the ideal problem solver for this deck. It has problems with decks that are a little faster (goblins mainly, affinity) and decks that run much removal such as zoo.

Jun 2010
    Germany

I think about replacing Swords to Plowshares with Mental Misstep because the creatures we fear the most are usually Grim Lavamancer and Goblin Lackey anyways. What do you think about adding Wastelands then? MM kills Noble Hierarch and Nacatls, too so with Wasteland we stand pretty good against Bant/Zoo for a tempo game. Not necessarily for Bant but Zoo has always been a problematic matchup...
    the problem is that Zoo will be likely to run Mental Misstep, too so we will end up in the same situation if they will play it.

Knight of the Exemplary
    Apr 2011
    Singapore

i tried the rebel deck before but i realised when the opponent dropped a tarmogofy with FOW backup against my STP it is usually good game for me, my list were without Gaea's Cradle though

it seems the deck is very reliant on Gaea's Cradle and with wasteland rampant in my metagame i'm not sure if the deck can hangs on

below is the my decklist. i dont have a playset of FOW thus i'm using sub-par counters

//Rebel Still
    //Creatures [17]
    1 Amrou Seekers
    1 Aven Riftwatcher
    1 Children of Korlis
    1 Defiant Falcon
    1 Defiant Vanguard
    2 Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero
    2 Mirror Entity
    2 Ramosian Lieutenant
    4 Ramosian Sergeant
    1 Shield Dancer
    1 Whipcorder
    //Spells [21]
    4 Arcane Denial
    1 Bound in Silence
    1 Day of Judgment
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Standstill
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Wrath of God
    //Lands [23]
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scrying Sheets
    6 Snow-Covered Island
    9 Snow-Covered Plains

My Legacy Decks :
    Mighty Quinn
    Legacy Knights
    FOWless Blue/White Merfolk

My Modern Decks:
    Modern Knights
    Modern Ninjas

Oct 2010
    Germany

I don't think that Zoo would run Mental Misstep. What would you cut for it? Burn Spells? I don't think so, but maybe i'm wrong ^^.

@Nabbydian: I suggest reading the last pages at this thread. There are some Lists that seem to do pretty well. When i look at your list i think you should cut some rebels and add some great cards like Training Grounds and Brainstorm.
    Without FoW though i think this deck is not very potent. You need some free counterspells. Maybe even Reverent Mantra as a little FoW replacement against removal spells. It is also good for an alpha strike with protection from blockers ^^.

Jun 2010
    Germany

yea maybe I just swam with the wave of overreacting :D so basically Mental Misstep is a Swords or Daze replacement
    do you play CBTop now preddi?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Honestly, I wasn't really excited with Daze on this deck. The deck needs to hit each of it's land drops. I think Mental Misstep is a great replacement for Daze. Though you cannot deny the goodness of Daze.

Isn't Swords to Plowshares doing it job? Why would we cut it in this deck?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Jun 2010
    Germany

I considered cutting Swords because of the low blue count...but I think I'm gonna play 3 Swords,4 Mental Misstep,4 FOW;4 Brainstorm,4 Spell Pierce, 4 Training Grounds

Oct 2010
    Germany

The main reason i thought about cutting swords is to raise the number of blue cards. I need swords to handle lackey or buy some time. Maybe misstep can fill that role too. but running daze, pierce, fow and mistep looks like an overkill to me.

Alexeezay:
    I play no CbTop right now. The deck felt pretty solid without it so i havenīt changed anything. But i still think itīs a great tech vs combo and slower decks.

Jun 2006
    Germany

Since the spoiling of Mental Misstep I've been testing Rebels extensively and this deck is definitely one of the best uses for it. The deck has a solid combo matchup combined with a redundant engine. So far my testin has been quite promising.

My current list is pretty straight forward:

4 Arid Mesa
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Tundra
    2 Plains
    1 Island
    1 Gaeas Cradle

4 Ramosian Sergeant
    4 Defiant Falcon
    2 Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero
    2 Mirror Entity
    2 Stoneforge Mystic

4 Mental Misstep
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Training Grounds

4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawas Jitte
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine

SB:

4 Peacekeeper
    4 Meddling Mage
    4 Spell Pierce
    1 Thermal Glider
    1 Children of Korlis
    1 Bound in Silence

So far it has been consistent, redundant and still powerful enough most of the time.

Stoneforge Mystic improves the aggro matchups and is just necessary in today's metagame. The board is geared towards beating combo and Merfolk, simply because those are matchups where we have

A) Things to board out.
    B) Tools to fight them efficiently (unlike Zoo)

Mar 2008
    Indianapolis, IN

wow 12 fetches ?

Oct 2010
    Germany

I like the Peacekeepers in the sb. But when i look at Muradin's list i think, that it doesn't have enough recruiters. I play 4 Lieutenant, 4 Sergeant, 2 Falcon, 2 Amrou Scout at the moment and i think you need many for removals and for consistancy, but i haven't tested my list with missteps yet.
    Stoneforge Mystic is a good card no doubt, but i think it is too slow against most aggro decks. I mean you can equip jitte turn 4 and you are usually way behind in board position. Having no good carriers except for falcon maybe is also a problem.
    I'm testing Counterspell in Daze's place atm becaurse i want more hard counters. Dunno if it works out, but the format has slown down a bit since misstep.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I never really liked Daze in this deck because all the land-drop this deck makes is important to it. Daze sets this deck back up a turn. If this deck ran Vials, it might be okay but even then Vials aren't needed.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Jun 2010
    Germany

Muradin's list is good, especially the stoneforge mystics. they are just necessary.
    Although I would replace 4 Daze with 3 Spell Pierce and 1 more Recruiter (probably Ramosian Lieutnant) and replace 1 Swords to Plowshares with Big Game Hunter/Bound in Silence mb.
    together with sb children of korlis you still got the rebel's toolbox fun ;)

Why no E.Tutor sideboard?

Mar 2008
    Indianapolis, IN

I think it's pretty awesome he runs a full set of Mages in the board for sure .

I assume the peacekeepers are for Merfolk , because most of the other decks will have a way to deal with that one . I doubt anyone sides out removal vs a Rebel deck .

That said , without really knowing what meta he is preparing it's hard to talk about sideboards . But i'm going to assume that his meta is full of 4 EPlague in everyone's SB so the Mages and the Pierces would help with that .

That said . . .

Muradin , I like the Enlightened Tutor Sb because Rebels generates card advantage , I seldom ever miss losing 1 card in a game to find an answer .

I've felt that recently , ETutor got a little bit weaker because of all the Missteps around right now . So I could see going to a more card heavy approach over a silver bullet approach .

Jun 2010
    Germany

ah right missed that on e.tutor. Gonna try the list as it is except the spell pierce/daze thing

Thread Information