Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RGW Naya Sligh

Banned

Nov 2009
    Chicago

RGW Naya Sligh

What is Naya Sligh:

Naya sligh is RGW burn deck augmented with the fastest damage dealing creatures in the game. The deck playes creatures in early turn and scates in as much damage as possible and finishes the opponent off with burn by the time the opponents better creatures kill off your offense. This deck varies is its most common variation by not running Tarmogoyf as it is to slow!

This deck gold fishes turn 3 about 65% of the time and turn 4 is generally the rest. The deck is easy to play and also relatively cheap for legacy to get together. Your strategy is simple kill them ASAP. Clear blockers and burn them away.

It races dredge and ANT at close to 50/50 if not better in the latter case and can put common aggro on its back foot very easily. It has some weakness with lifegain for obvious reasons and heavy mana denial. It can operate fairly efficiently with a single red mana so its not all crippling.

Standard Naya Sligh List:
    Creatures: 15
    4 Steppe Lynx
    4 Wild Nactl
    4 Goblin Guide
    3 Grim Lavamancer

Spells: 26
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Magma Jet
    4 Fireblast
    3 Incinerate
    3 Price of Progress

Lands: 19
    2 Mountain
    2 Taiga
    2 Plateau
    13 fetches that grab mountains

Heavy Aggro Meta List:
    4 Steppe Lynx
    4 Wild Nactl
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Grim Lavamancer

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Magma Jet
    4 Fireblast
    2 Price of Progress

2 Mountain
    2 Taiga
    2 Plateau

Heavy Control/Stax Meta:
    4 Steppe Lynx
    4 Wild Nactl
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Qasali Pridemage
    3 Grim Lavamancer

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Magma Jet
    4 Fireblast
    2 Price of Progress

2 Mountain
    2 Taiga
    2 Plateau

The Mandatory's:
    Steppe Lynx: He is inconsistant in a long game but in the early turns when you play land he is often a 4/5 on turn 2 as well as 3. Great synergy with magma jet.
    Wild Nactl: Best zoo beater of all time, nuff said.
    Goblin Guide: 2/2 haste seems good? In addition he has other uses with his triggered ability. Knowing what theey have on top in a counterbalance battle is useful and also giving them lands is offset by the fact that you run price of progress main or in the board.

All 3 creatures = 6 damage on average by turn 3 if played turn 1 (sometimes 8 with lynx).

Mandatory Burn:
    4 Lightning Bolt: 1 cc 3 dmg
    4 Chain Lightning: 1cc 3dmg
    4 Rift Bolt: 1 CC , 3 dmg and converted CC of 3
    3-4 Fireblast: This card simply puts your clock a full turn ahead no complaints there.

Mandatory Land:
    1 Mountain
    2 Taiga
    2 Plateu
    13 fetches
    + 1 more fetch or 2nd mountain

The Core Deck:
    4 Steppe Lynx
    4 Wild Nactl
    4 Goblin Guide
    2 Grim Lavamancer

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Rift Bolt
    3 Fireblast

the rest fill with burn spells of your choice.

The "Advanced Choices"
    :based on metgame calls or testing.

Tarmogoyf - It is slower then the rest of your creatures at an average of 3/4 on turn 3. It is still goyf and the best midgame creature there is (depending on your definition of midgame). I think hes a better choice as a 3 of in a aggro heavy meta then burn or other cards.

Grim Lavamancer - Many people advocate a 3rd copy and I dont disagree. In the games that he does matter (Merfolk, Goblins, Countertop) Hes a beast. 2 dmg a turn even if they counter your spells. Also combined with burn will keep a weenie board cleared nearly indefinetly.

Qusali Pridemage - Hes +1 dmg on turn 2 if a 1 drop creature was played on turn 1. He blows the bad stuff up! (Chalice at 1 and counterbalance) but what is scarey is the GW meaning you need a taiga and a plateau to play him which often will prevent fetching a mountain for wasteland protection early. Metagame call IMO.

Possible Burn:
    Incinerate – Simple burn, fairly costed. And on a rare occasion you get to remind your opponent that he cannot regenerate his critter .

Magma Jet – I recommend running this card as a four of. Even though its burn to mana ratio is far from hot, this deck needs any sort of library manipulation it can get . A turn 1 steppe lynx followed with turn 2 magma jet vs a blocker and making sure u make a 3rd land drop actually nets you 2-4 damage beyond the card itself.

Price of Progress – No burn spell scales so immensely. Nothing feels as good as dealing 8 damage from a 2cc spell. I however have been choosing to sideboard it as opposed to maindeck it. The format is in flux at the moment and while its the best burn spell against many decks with the printing of enemy fetchlands and more secure manabases it is deffinetly not quite as good.

Seal of Fire – It is an enchantment if you happen to be running goyfs. It is quite good in the dredge match up fotrcing them to play around you killing your own guy. It also forces people to misplay on occasion trying to play around it.
    Tarfire – Likely a poor choice unless your version runs 4 goyfs otherwise not an alternative in my opinion.

Cursed Scroll – I think its to slow and mana intensive in a deck that goldfishes turn 3. I honestly think Jitte in the SB fufills all the rolls you would want it for + more.

Rift Bolt – 3 damage for 1 mana. However, this deck often hits top deck mode and “hard casting” this spell is terribly cost inefficient compared to your other spells. On the other hand the 3 CC gets around counterbalance fairly often, as well as Chalice at 0. It also allows you to kill an opposing fattie next turn on 1 mana with a lightning bolt.

SB Cards:

Krosan Grip - It deals with CB and Jitte in that you cant stop sort of way!

Duergar Hedge Mage - I havent tested it personally but both goyf sligh and boros deck wins have has mixed opinions. The idea of effectively 3 for 1ing someone by adding a 2/2 killing a counterbalance and a artifact sounds nice but I dont know if thats just a hope and dream situation.

Umezawas Jitte - It seems ok against a aggro heavy meta but if your having to play midrange your likely on your backfoot allready. Its awy to slow against anything not aggro.

Tormod’s Crypt, Relic of Progenitus, Trap, ETC -
    I reccomend not having a sideboard for dredge because you can race them on the play and get rid of bridges with all the burn and your own weenies. If your metas graveyard stuffed with reanimator, dredge, and loam decks I reccomend 1 crypt, 1 relic, and 1 trap.

Board Sweepers -
    Volcanic fallout does 2 dmg cant be countered and kills some creatures. Its not fantastic against midrange zoo and you should crush gobos and merfolk as is.

Tin Street Hooligan - Hes a possible slightly more agressive version of pridemage. Mana constraints our the only reason I would consider him over pridemage.

Sulfuric Vortex - I think it is a must have for your board, it stops Jitte, and other life gain from yer midrange aggro which is honestly the scaries thing they can play. Its also 2 damage a turn against slower decks and hell even a permanent to sack to smokestack if needed.

Red Blasts – "I originally thought that these may be good in the board, but they don’t deal any damage. And, son, you’re running a burn deck, not a control deck" - Goyf Sligh primer.

Storm SB'ing: Simply put, dont. Belchers gonna probably get there. 6 sideboard slots and it still is likely 2. Real combo like ant you outrace. I very seldomly lose to ad naus tendrils with 0 SB cards. I just adjust the deck by taking out lavamancer and tossing in PoP. You can race them and there usually at 10 at the end of your turn 2. If they have the nuts grip post draw so be it, nothing short of FoW's going to stop a turn 1 kill anyways.

Other noteworthy cards
    :

Sylvan Library: May be good for reach and filtering but it seems to slow most of the time.
    Vines of the Vastwood: Double green makes it bad in our deck.

Hopefully I covered the basics, I think this deck has alot of power to it in the current meta. Cheers!

Learned Lurker
    Jun 2008
    Santa Barbara, California

Re: RGW Naya Sligh

Standard Naya Sligh List:
    Creatures: 15
    4 Steppe Lynx
    4 Wild Nactl
    4 Goblin Guide
    3 Grim Lavamancer

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Magma Jet
    4 Fireblast
    3 Incinerate
    3 Price of Progress

2 Mountain
    2 Taiga
    2 Plateau
    Chalice for one would seriously rain on your parade.

Also with 19 lands, it seems like Steppe Lynx may only be able to get in 1 good swing before running out of gas. Your choosing him suggests otherwise? I'll have to test him.

My immediate reaction is to recommend cutting down to 3 fireblasts and going up to 4 Price of Progress, or at least fitting the other one in the board.

Have you tried running Hellspark Elemental?
    -Michaelq

Pox
    Chalice
    Tempo Thresh

Banned

Nov 2009
    Chicago

Chalice for 1 does hurt really bad, fortunetly there arent that many decks that run it main and you can compensate with sideboard. Steppe lynx 13 fetches and magma jet means over the course of the game it averages 6+ dmg for 1 mana. Well worth it.

Ive tested against pretty much every deck there is and gw aggro packing mb jitte was the hardest match up. Chalice is hard to get around but not impossible and to tell you the truth the list i entered in the primer isnt what I run its just the most common core list. I personally main deck 3 goyfs and a few PoP to help with it. On occasion goyf slows yer clock down by a turn and PoPs dead but ill accept that for making my bad matches good. Lynx is a beast alot of the time and sometimes dead but if you test him he will almost always dish out as much damage as his CC is worth or far more.

stifle/wasteland is going to suck really, really hard.

So, um, how is this better than Zoo, exactly? You trade stability for speed and explosivesness, sure, but the problem with traditional Sligh is that it rolled over and died if the opponent could stabilize. Zoo can get around that by just dropping tons of ridiculous monsters, but you don't even have that.

The Courage Wolf
    Sep 2007
    Tucson, AZ

Chalice @ 1 doesn't hurt as bad as Trinisphere. A good answer for Chalice would be Ingot Chewer. Trinisphere is much more difficult to deal with.

Something that bothers me is that for a "Heavy Control/Stax" meta, you just added 4 Qasali Pridemage and took out nothing. Maybe this is a mistake. Also, if I were in a heavy Stax meta, I'd add more basic Mountains to ensure I have 3 mana to work around Trinisphere. Kataki might be a nice addition to the side, as he'll tax that Stax player for playing permanents that hurt you.

Typo in your OP. Under Rift Bolt, change it to Chalice at 1, not 0.

In all honesty I think I have to agree with aggro_zombies though. That Zoo may lack the burst of this deck, but it also doesn't die to an opponent putting a couple of speedbumps in the way. What are you going to do if there's a Goyf with a big butt in your way? How about two of them?

Dec 2006
    Spain

I suppose that in USA you have a more Control oriented metagame, with a lot of Blue and Counterbalance.

In Europe, we have a more Aggro-Combo metagame, with a lot of Aggro, Aggrocontrol and a bunch of combo decks. I didn't face a single Counterbalance in a year except our testing matchs.

Trading stability for speed would be a good choice here.

Looking the Standard list, I don't like the Lavamancers. All your T1 critterswould would make 6 damage or more at T3 for 1 mana, but Lavamancer needs a lot of cards and mana, that you can use to play your hand. Do you test some 2cc guys in this slot?

Banned

Nov 2009
    Chicago

Ive heard a great many of those points before and playtested against them. Goyfs irrelevant.

It can 2 for 1 sometimes but if they played a turn to goyf 50% of the time its a 2/3 and bolt can kill it

if not r u run yer creature into it and bolt it play a goblin guide etc.

im not saying its all around better then naya zoo, it does have a better dredge/storm match up by far. It out races zoo fairly easily on the play on the draw the match can be difficult but not to much harder then a mirror is of the same deck. Your burn compensates for there more small creatures and steppe lynx can race goyf. The game can go either way , either you blow them out or vice versa.

The only cards this deck really hates is chalice at 1 and a slow start against a fast start with jitte. Otherwise you dont really care. Mana denial hurts but it hurts everything. yer common UBG CB deck needs 3 mana or so to operate at efficency we only need 2. We can also fetch mountain without a problem.

Effectively I look at it like this:
    +10/-10% based on die roll
    ANT 70% favorite in match
    Dredge 50/50
    Weenie agggro (goblins/merfolk) 65%
    Aggro GW/naya traditional aggro about 45/55
    Stax I cant honestly do a % either they early chalice at 1 and yer really behind or they turn 1 trinisphere and play the nuts or you absolutely crush them. If they crucible, into smoke stack likely taking 4 from ancient tomb, there dead by there turn 3.

Its really dependant on stax's draw where as your draws gonna do what it does almost everytime. Not what I want 2 play against but dotn eally mind either.

Really the diffrence between this deck and naya aggro is this.

2 turn faster clock on average if they play the fast build.
    1 land weaker manabase and the only other card that miss MD is priemage i wont lie I miss that otherwise .

Personally when playing aggro I like it to crush them as quick as possible, if I wanted mid range I would play control/aggro.

Try the deck out for a few test runs against a few tier decks and post your results.

Banned

Nov 2009
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by chokin View Post
    Chalice @ 1 doesn't hurt as bad as Trinisphere. A good answer for Chalice would be Ingot Chewer. Trinisphere is much more difficult to deal with.

Something that bothers me is that for a "Heavy Control/Stax" meta, you just added 4 Qasali Pridemage and took out nothing. Maybe this is a mistake. Also, if I were in a heavy Stax meta, I'd add more basic Mountains to ensure I have 3 mana to work around Trinisphere. Kataki might be a nice addition to the side, as he'll tax that Stax player for playing permanents that hurt you.

Typo in your OP. Under Rift Bolt, change it to Chalice at 1, not 0.

In all honesty I think I have to agree with aggro_zombies though. That Zoo may lack the burst of this deck, but it also doesn't die to an opponent putting a couple of speedbumps in the way. What are you going to do if there's a Goyf with a big butt in your way? How about two of them?
    I agree multiple goyfs can really suck but thats unlikely and as I said I run 3 goyfs myself. + draw a land steppe lynx is 4/5 which is as likely as big as goyfs going to get early in that match.

As far as pridemage its just a suggestion you could even throw in duergar hedgemage or other fun stuff.

Nov 2006
    Hungary

Glad to see a separate thread for this variant. You could sideboard Smash to Smithereens to combat the Chalice at 1 problem.
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Consider Reckless Charge as well. It's fantastic with Steppe Lynx and Wild Nacatl. Sucks against STP and Removal, but gets you another attack step. In testing, it's been game winning in certain matchups, putting you way ahead early.

Banned

Nov 2009
    Chicago

Reckless charge may have not been good enough as a instant, as a sorcery it seems like just 1 more way to get disrupted. + you have no tramplers.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Quote Originally Posted by JudasKilled View Post
    Reckless charge may have not been good enough as a instant, as a sorcery it seems like just 1 more way to get disrupted. + you have no tramplers.
    Well Berserk tramples. With Steppe Lynx, thats 14 dmg for 3 cards and 3 mana.

and btw, wtf are you talking about? Haste only matters pre-combat.

Adding a steppe lynx to goyf sligh doesn't really necessitate a new primer, does it?

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Quote Originally Posted by lebron jim View Post
    Adding a steppe lynx to goyf sligh doesn't really necessitate a new primer, does it?
    It sure changes the deck alot. You now need G/W on turn one more than R/G. It's a very different deck when you add Steppe Lynx.

Banned

Nov 2009
    Chicago

I havent tested it myself , ijust dont wanna be in a game where me 1st turn creature gets removald and draw to recless charge instead of burn I suppose.

and if youve played regular sligh and this deck you would understand how the strategy is similar but it runs very diffrently.

The mad statistician
    Nov 2009

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    It sure changes the deck alot. You now need G/W on turn one more than R/G. It's a very different deck when you add Steppe Lynx.
    I adamantly agree with this statement, but wish to take it to a logical next step. Because G/W is now more important on turn 1 than G/R, I wonder if there are other cards that take advantage of the newfound White presence. After all, now that Naya has W on turn 1 to drop Lynx, there may be other cards that fit the deck's strategy that also use white. Depending on your matchups, the following come to mind.

1) Qasali Pridemage: Maindecked answer to Countertop, Jitte, and various other nasty cards. Fits in the curve nicely and is relatively aggressively priced.

2) Mother of Runes: Protects your creautures and makes them unblockable in certain situations. A particularly nice inclusion as you will have to worry far less about Swords and Path to Exile when Berserk becomes a factor.

3) Watchwolf: Fits nicely into your curve.

4) Woolly Thoctar: Speaking of fitting into the curve...

These are only a few possibilities to take advantage of the inclusion of white. Of course, White does not have to be used in the deck past Lynx. It might, however, give Naya an additional set of resources that it currently lacks (especially Mother and Pridemage).

-ktkenshinx-

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

Do you ever find Fire/Ice or Lava Dart ruining your day? I mean presumably Lynx is an 0/1 during your opponent's turn.

It just seems like the deck is taking too many risks.

The mad statistician
    Nov 2009

Quote Originally Posted by freakish777 View Post
    Do you ever find Fire/Ice or Lava Dart ruining your day? I mean presumably Lynx is an 0/1 during your opponent's turn.

It just seems like the deck is taking too many risks.
    Statements like these abound whenever a new deck is proposed, or a new variation of an existing deck postulated;

"Does not this deck/card die to [Card X1], [Card X2]...[Card XN]? This deck appears to be subpar."

To an extent, it is a good avenue of questioning to take. Decks should be thoroughly scanned and vetted for potential weaknesses and oversights. Yet, the fact that Lynx is a vulnerable 0/1 does not even begin to invalidate it as a viable creature choice; Lavamancer has 1 toughness, and no one questions his inclusion. Even if they do torch the poor little cat, you will still have a host of threats left to fill in the ranks. If they do not, however, then you have an incredibly potent turn 2 and 3 threat to completely stomp your opponent with.

freakish777, I understand your concern about the clearly fragile creature, but considering that Lynx is not a necessary, irreplaceable component of the deck, its death will not be a total loss (at least not moreso than any other creature). And if it does not die, then you will have an excellent chance to bring some hell.

-ktkenshinx-

Banned

Nov 2009
    Chicago

I agree with ktkenshinx the same can be said of anything , now that people can run 4 stp and 4 path everything can be blown out for 1 mana. Not everything runs 4 stp 4 path and 4 terror because a deck thats all removal craps out to often because they have no real pressure. if they kill a reature with bolt, STP or whatever, you both lost a card and they burned a turn or half there mana in a turn to do so.....so be it im ok with that. Thats almost a time walk for this deck - the draw. (From an optimistic point)

Pridemage and Goyf are fantastic creatures ktkenshinx!

"1) Qasali Pridemage: Maindecked answer to Countertop, Jitte, and various other nasty cards. Fits in the curve nicely and is relatively aggressively priced.
    I agree its +1 dmg if you player yer 1 drop but the problem is the mana cost you often want to fetch mountain as one of your 1st 2 lands against anything that even could run wasteland so that makes it rough. His damage is a bit behind as well.

2) Mother of Runes: Protects your creautures and makes them unblockable in certain situations. A particularly nice inclusion as you will have to worry far less about Swords and Path to Exile when Berserk becomes a factor.

I think in this deck you dont care about protection, you dont care about mid game, you dont care about removal, you care about killing them as quick as possible, MOR doesnt do that.

3) Watchwolf: Fits nicely into your curve.
    3/3 for GW....I have a 3/3 for 1, a 2/2 with haste, and a potyential sing with a 4/5 on turn 2 aqnd 3, there not even playign in the same league unfortunetly, but I liked the bugger back in the day.

4) Woolly Thoctar: Speaking of fitting into the curve..."
    By the time I would swing with thoctar this deck usually killed you and would rather draw burn.

Thread Information