Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [Worldwake] Set Discussion Thread

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

[Worldwake] Set Discussion Thread

The spoiler has started and I hope there are many more solid reprints.

http://mtgsalvation.com/worldwake-spoiler.html

And so it begins...

Edit: Wow its only a 145 card set.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Re: Worldwake New Set Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by rockout View Post
    The spoiler has started and I hope there are many more solid reprints.

http://mtgsalvation.com/worldwake-spoiler.html

And so it begins...

Edit: Wow its only a 145 card set.
    I guess the Smother reprint is to bring Smother back into Extended.
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

Team Bad Guys
    Sep 2007
    Michigan, specificly Lansing

So in standard right now the removal suit is as follows.

path to exile
    lightning bolt
    terminate
    maelstrom pulse
    and now smother? really?

and players wonder why a large consensus of magic players are pissed off that there is no such thing as the 2 drop counter anymore.

While I do understand that negate, remove soul, and spell pierce are in the same format I also understand that they are obviously too linear to work. . .

To me this is just another example of how the game has been dumbed down to help inexperienced players comprehend the complexities of the game one format at a time.

Your life total: 4, My life total: 20
    Jul 2008

I agree with mossivo. Too much removal in standard right now. Also you forgot doom blade technically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    The first time I heard of the site, I went to www.thesource.com and was greeted with a full-page picture of some thug pointing a gun at me. I immediately realised that Legacy was the most hardcore format ever.

Quote Originally Posted by FoulQ View Post
    I agree with mossivo. Too much removal in standard right now. Also you forgot doom blade technically.
    It's hilarious that something as solid as Doom Blade is on the lower tiers of standard's removal package.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Being a 1C 2/1 with an ability isn't enough to make a card good by default. Elvish Archer is to First Striking as Dark Confidant is to card draw, and Nezumi Graverobber is to robbing graves as Tarmogoyf is to being much much better than a 2/1, but what the fuck does that even mean?

Re: [Worldwake] Set Discussion Thread

Sweet more old bordered cards to confuse new players with in my Standard decks.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

Whatever

Mar 2006
    L'Aquila, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by MtgSal
    Explore is a sorcery which allows you to draw a card and play an extra land.
    My guess:

Explore :G:
    Sorcery
    You may play an additional land this turn, that land comes into play tapped.
    Draw a card.

CIPT to avoid chaining multiples on the first turn.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity - Seneca, Roman dramatist

mull to the skull
    Oct 2007
    SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
    It's hilarious that something as solid as Doom Blade is on the lower tiers of standard's removal package.
    Doesn't help that a good chunk of standard's best creatures are black. I just witnessed my friend playing Jund yesterday on MODO. The way the deck generates card advantage literally puts shame to control. If they keep supplementing aggro with such resilient strategies and nerfing control, I don't see draw-go coming back anytime soon. But then again, maybe it's good for a change, after dealing with Tron, Solar Flare, Dralnu, and Quick n Toast.

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

I'm a little excited for the new Jace, but I also think it's time to quit printing Planeswalkers. Dunno, needs something sexier than a Turbo-fog engine and something less broken than Tezzeret (in T1, at least).

Edit: Fake, but nice: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showp...9&postcount=16
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Dodge this.
    Jan 2005
    Westland, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Yesmilord View Post
    Doesn't help that a good chunk of standard's best creatures are black. I just witnessed my friend playing Jund yesterday on MODO. The way the deck generates card advantage literally puts shame to control. If they keep supplementing aggro with such resilient strategies and nerfing control, I don't see draw-go coming back anytime soon. But then again, maybe it's good for a change, after dealing with Tron, Solar Flare, Dralnu, and Quick n Toast.
    Yes sir. That deck is pretty ridiculous. There is no doubt as to why it is the to beat in standard right now.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Not confirmed yet, but seeing that two diffrent people stated that they saw the card, i think it would be fun just to discuss at least

Another Vanila powercreep:

Leatherback Baloth
    Creature - ?? (?)
    4/5

basically a average goyf for 1 more CMC without the hassle of getting it to 4/5 and no graveyard vunerability.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Not confirmed yet, but seeing that two diffrent people stated that they saw the card, i think it would be fun just to discuss at least

Another Vanila powercreep:

Leatherback Baloth
    Creature - ?? (?)
    4/5

basically a average goyf for 1 more CMC without the hassle of getting it to 4/5 and no graveyard vunerability.
    Triple green makes it pretty awful.

EDIT: That isn't really power creep, either. Triple green is quite a lot to ask for outside of a casual play environment, since it requires you to be in one or two colors, and with ridiculous fixing in the latter.
    Last edited by Aggro_zombies; 12-08-2009 at 04:36 AM.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Triple green makes it pretty awful.

EDIT: That isn't really power creep, either. Triple green is quite a lot to ask for outside of a casual play environment, since it requires you to be in one or two colors, and with ridiculous fixing in the latter.
    It just got confirmed, and im going to defend it for a bit:

One, i don't think triple green is that bad in this day and age, with so many fetchs around you can easily still play this is a G/X deck like thresh. If Rhox war monk is able to get played despite his mana cost i don't see GGG that hard if your playing only 2 colors and/or mana fixing. Speaking of mana fixing decks with mana elves, noble heirach, bop, love this card going turn 1 land + accle, turn 2 this.

Two, green aggro decks had a problem with playing down a turn 2 goyf since it was ussually only a 1/2 for them, now instead they can play this as a 4/5 turn 2. I admit this won't change the metagame, but i absolutely think it will find its way into green aggro decks of various kind. Also a simple B/G rock with this + goyf + lots of removal and discard doesn't seem that bad either.

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

The like the picture of leatherback baloth. Will it see play? I guess its possible but hopefully the set has some real power in the form of legacy playables and less vanilla creatures for GGG.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

I guess Survival could well cast it, if it needs more beaters and wasn't splashing b&w (for Doran). All the lands already make green.

Better not be a rare though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

Montreal's legacy scene
    Sep 2008
    Montreal

New forcespike1U
    instant - unco
    counter target spell unless its controller pays 1
    "multikick" U : counter target spell unless it's controller pays 2

That's pretty good for standard, not promising for legacy (even if it's not terrible against combo, as it can targets multiple spells, it looks way too slow).

P-M

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    New forcespike1U
    instant - unco
    counter target spell unless its controller pays 1
    "multikick" U : counter target spell unless it's controller pays 2

That's pretty good for standard, not promising for legacy (even if it's not terrible against combo, as it can targets multiple spells, it looks way too slow).

P-M
    Is "Multikick" that you can pay the cost as many times as you want?
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

Team Giancoli
    Jul 2008
    Woodbridge, VA

Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    Is "Multikick" that you can pay the cost as many times as you want?
    Correct. It's supposedly the same thing as kicker, but able to be added unlimited times.
    "Maybe a long life does have to be filled with many unpleasant conditions if it's to seem long. But in the event, who wants one?"
    "I do," Dunbar told him.
    "Why?" Clevinger asked.

"What else is there?"

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Leatherback Baloth makes me go "Ooo! Pretty!" until I realize it's sadly near useless. MattH pretty much summed it up perfectly.

@New Force Spike, New Jace, and Explore: Links to sources would be greatly appreciated.

Explore, if it actually puts a land into play and draws a card for a single green, will completely reshape the format, be found in every green deck ever, and make Land Destruction strategies quite viable in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Explore probably only puts basics into play, similar to that 1/1 common Elf for from Onslaught (Elvish Pioneer?).

New Jace is known because he's mentioned on one of the precon inserts as being a good card to add. What he does is currently unknown, but the precon insert makes it sound like he's just another mill dork (meaning the new version will probably be to the original as the new Chandra is to the older one). He exiles part of/all of the opponent's library as one of his abilities.

Multikicker looks vaguely interesting, but I keep thinking that Replicate would just be better because then the opponent would have to deal with the copies too. Then again, blue is pretty sucky in Standard right now, so counters aren't really of much concern I guess. Blue needs better card draw/library manipulation.

Thread Information