Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [Worldwake] Set Discussion Thread

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Re: [Worldwake] Set Discussion Thread

Multikick might be what Replicate should have been. Although I confess I'm way tired of Standard and Limited being all about mana ramping for the win.

Along with Storm, Replicate's probably the most powerful keyword ever made. It just never got any truly ridiculous cards to go with it. It should attest to the keyword's power that cards that say "Destroy target artifact" and "Tap or untap target permanent" saw use in several formats just because of the keyword.

Multikick might allow for more design freedom without risk of breaking something.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Along with Storm, Replicate's probably the most powerful keyword ever made. It just never got any truly ridiculous cards to go with it. It should attest to the keyword's power that cards that say "Destroy target artifact" and "Tap or untap target permanent" saw use in several formats just because of the keyword.
    Same could be said about split second or indestructible or affinity or half a dozen other keyword abilities. I don't see how that analysis is useful.

It's worth pointing out that Kgrip sees tons of play, but 2G Replicate 2G destroy target Artifact/Enchantment would see no play in any format.

And R: Split Second, Destroy target artifact would see a good amount of play. So at least some cards would rather have Split Second than Replicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddian View Post
    Same could be said about split second or indestructible or affinity or half a dozen other keyword abilities. I don't see how that analysis is useful.

It's worth pointing out that Kgrip sees tons of play, but 2G Replicate 2G destroy target Artifact/Enchantment would see no play in any format.

And R: Split Second, Destroy target artifact would see a good amount of play. So at least some cards would rather have Split Second than Replicate.
    That's not what he's talking about.

Replicate and Storm are both so good because they make copies of themselves, which then go directly onto the stack. That means that they get around countermagic of both the regular and triggered variety, since countering the original card does nothing to stop the copies, and the copies themselves have to be countered individually, using actual cards (since they appear directly on the stack, Counterbalance and Chalice don't do anything to them). The immunity to countermagic is exacerbated by the fact that many copies can be pointed at the same target, ensuring that one gets through no matter what (unless the target becomes illegal first, which would fizzle just about anything).

Split Second isn't busted because it doesn't generate an effect that's way out of proportion with the original spell. Sure, it acts as cover for the spell and virtually ensures that the spell will do what you want it to do, since the opponent can't interfere, but at the end of the day it's still just one spell effect. Replicate and Storm both generate tons of spell effects.

To use your example: sure, a R: Destroy target artifact with either split second or replicate would be comparable if there were a single artifact in play, and the split second one gets better if the artifact has a sacrifice ability or something. However, when there's more than one artifact in play, replicate becomes much, much better.

The tl;dr version: Replicate and Storm both have inherent card advantage because they allow you to cast lots of "spells" off of only one card. Replicate could have been absolutely retarded, but Wizards probably recognized the dangers of it and made all of the cards that had it relatively weak.

I bet someday they'll revisit Replicate and give it to all colors. And when they do I hope they make the white Shattering Spree that kills enchantments. Because fuck you, Counterbalance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

Sep 2005
    Boston, MA

I'm actually going to defend Leatherback as well. Not as a card, but as an idea. Let's face it, everyone's complaint about 'goyf is that he's just so splashable! Oh look, here's a creature with (essentially) the same stats, no graveyard dependence, and only one more mana! But wait, he's TRIPLE GREEN!?

Actually, I think this is just what the format needs. Right now, especially with the additional fetches, tri- and even quad-color decks are rolling over the format. It'd be nice to have some motivation to restrict the number of colors in my deck and still have it be competitive. While this guy may not be, if he's a trend for other cards in the set, I approve.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsabo_tavoc
    Thanks for your reply. I believe it is my wording that has made you unpleasant. My fears were something like Angel Stompy ruling Legacy.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddian View Post
    Replicate's power comes from getting through triggered shit like CB and Chalice. Good luck blowing up a chalice at 1 with a split second R blow up artifact card. Even CB has a decent chance of revealing a 1 on your split second card.

I agree with wanting a replicate blow up enchantment for W card. Good hate against both CB decks and enchantress (doesn't see much play anymore but still).

May 2007
    Penn State

Quote Originally Posted by tivadar View Post
    Actually, I think this is just what the format needs. Right now, especially with the additional fetches, tri- and even quad-color decks are rolling over the format. It'd be nice to have some motivation to restrict the number of colors in my deck and still have it be competitive. While this guy may not be, if he's a trend for other cards in the set, I approve.
    I keep wishing they will reprint Blood Moon as I am sick of decks running so many colors and not being punished for it. But, alas, that is very unlikely to happen. =[

A few guys in my playgroup as well as I would also like to see another LD card. It could be something like 1BR or 1GB - destroy target land. Four mana is wayyyyyy too much for a LD card.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Quote Originally Posted by workingdude View Post
    Of course, rare. I think is too high a cost for Legacy, though.

Edit: would this not be better were the cost and a 2/1 instead?
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post

I think that this card could be a sign of other powerful manlands. Perhaps there are some 3 or 4 mana ones with powerful abilities? And anyway, it could show up in Landstill with 1-2 copies.

Nov 2006
    Hungary

Vigilance is pretty dumb when you'll need to pay five mana again if you want to block with it. But yeah, probably a cycle. Maybe there'll be a good one in it.
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

Nov 2006
    London

CIPT sucks :(((((((((

Looks decent for Standard though.

They work as Dual lands too, I'll be picking up the cycle for my cube at least.

2224 players? Count me there!
    Sep 2006
    Rio de Janeiro

Perhaps - putting bold on the perhaps - Landstill or Ultimate Walker could make use of a pair of this land. It's late game stuff with a little built-in inevitability. Its EtBT and activation cost are worth debate against Factories' colorless mana, small size and lack of evasion, at least.
    Tapping lands and watching the sky falling since 1995.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    FeFe Team - Fame, girls and Mox Diamonds
    AHHHHHHH MULHEK!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------
    Elen Síla Lúmenn Ommentielvo!

Yeah, I don't think this card is playable in legacy, and I don't even like this for standard. Since unless they are also printing some control deck saviour, getting to the 7th turn so you can have 2 mana and counter backup and activate and swing with this together seems too long of a time to wait (though vigilance is cool, since you can swing and use it for mana also), and tapping out any earlier than turn 7 just to make a 4/4 until eot is pretty inefficient for standard.

Though I guess that's not really the card's fault, but more the product of the format (I mean, in the current standard, you even have Goblin Ruinblaster just running around in every Jund deck's sideboard, which makes this card a sad panda).

Though I'm optimistic that the other colour combo will give us better manlands.

Team Lucksack - Founder
    Oct 2007
    Columbus, Ohio

tumbnail from the thread: (pulled directly from the pdf)

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...1&d=1260396477

Anyone else smell a troll? (albeit a successful one) The pixilization of the art, and the gritty expansion symbol both reek of MSE to me.

tl;dr: I smell a fake.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Phasing is absurdly complicated. Did you know that if a token phases out with Equipment attached to it, the Equipment phases out, the token will cease to exist and the Equipment will never phase back in?

Well, now you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Media314r8 View Post
    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Dan
    Sep 2008
    NoVA

Anyone else smell a troll? (albeit a successful one) The pixilization of the art, and the gritty expansion symbol both reek of MSE to me.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...0&d=1260396289

Congratulations on your failure.
    Rules Advisor

Cards always look pixelated and shitty when Wizards puts them into PDFs. I have no idea why, but it's no worse on this one than it was previously.

Team Lucksack - Founder
    Oct 2007
    Columbus, Ohio

My bust. Just got posted on MTGsalvation. Confirmation enough for me. (insters foot into mouth)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Phasing is absurdly complicated. Did you know that if a token phases out with Equipment attached to it, the Equipment phases out, the token will cease to exist and the Equipment will never phase back in?

Well, now you do.
    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Mar 2007
    RI

It has a few solid perks over tradition man lands. 1) it's also a "dual" land 2) it has Vigilance. So in the early game where getting flooded with Factories can inhibit casting, getting a Factory and the new land might not as much. And in terms of activating it's ability later in the game it won't be tapped so in the case of something like Treetop Village or Fairie Conclave that tapped 3 lands for the creature, this one will be tapping 5, but the man-land remains untapped giving you access to U/W and potentially access to it as a blocker in the very late game (11 land on board).

I could see Landstill running this as a 1 of since it supports the general themes of the deck, smooths mana and is a 5 turn clock.
    TPDMC

Thread Information