Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which are currently the best Black creatures in Legacy?

Which are currently the best Black creatures in Legacy?

I am trying to build a monoblack deck and I'm trying to figure out which would be the most efficient and reliable choices in my disposal.

I'm looking for creatures that will really affect your opponent's gameplay, either by disrupting or heavy beatdown.

After doing some research, I came across those 5, which look like the best for the buck in monoblack:

Tombstalker
    Hypnotic Specter
    Nantuko Shade
    Dark Confidant
    Phyrexia Negator

Which of those 5 creatures are worth a spot in a monoblack deck(NO green or red splash, please don't mention Tarmogoyf), or remind me if I am missing a good creature from this list.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Re: Which are currently the best Black creatures in Legacy?

Phyrexian Negator is awful, even Urami and the Phyrexian Totem see more play than Negator.

If you have Top in there you can use TOmbstalker and Confidant.. if not then you need to check your curve for COnfidant. This isn't really groundbreaking advice, anyone would tell you the same.

Negator hasn't been good in a while, and is only for aggro.

Shade is ok

Specter is underrated, but the format isn't real scarred of him any more

And I am not mentioning this to be a jerk, but maybe even Malikar Bloodwitch, pro StP ain't bad. It is too new, and probably too high cost; but I play more casual so it is ok there
    Do you like drugs?
    Do you like sex?
    Or maybe, you just like to get down...
    To Purple Funky Monkeys!

Quote Originally Posted by DrJones View Post
    Phyrexian Negator is awful, even Urami and the Phyrexian Totem see more play than Negator.
    I left Negator in my list since I have been playing him in Vintage where he rocks, not sure about Legacy though since I am new to the format, hence the thread I created. :)

XIII
    Jun 2009
    Germany

Shriekmaw is a decent one.

Team Lucksack - Founder
    Oct 2007
    Columbus, Ohio

Some unconventional newer mono black cards:

Gatekeeper of Malakir and vampire nighthawk both seem to border on playable, nighthawk racing extraordinarily well, especially with jitte, and both capable of killing goyf with some profit. (albiet for three mana)

Dusk Urchins is a conditional ancestral recall that trades profitibly with everyone but goyf.

Demigod of Revenge is decent is a combo/control deck, or some odd damnation, tenrils, chainer's edict poxless MBC similar to train wreck.

Ashenmoor Gouger is probably better than Negator right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Phasing is absurdly complicated. Did you know that if a token phases out with Equipment attached to it, the Equipment phases out, the token will cease to exist and the Equipment will never phase back in?

Well, now you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Media314r8 View Post
    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Whatever

Mar 2006
    L'Aquila, Italy

Tombstalker
    Hypnotic Specter
    Nantuko Shade
    Dark Confidant
    Gatekeeper of Malakair
    Withered Wretch
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity - Seneca, Roman dramatist

Quote Originally Posted by Media314r8 View Post
    Some unconventional newer mono black cards:

Gatekeeper of Malakir and vampire nighthawk both seem to border on playable, nighthawk racing extraordinarily well, especially with jitte, and both capable of killing goyf with some profit. (albiet for three mana)

Dusk Urchins is a conditional ancestral recall that trades profitibly with everyone but goyf.

Demigod of Revenge is decent is a combo/control deck, or some odd damnation, tenrils, chainer's edict poxless MBC similar to train wreck.

Ashenmoor Gouger is probably better than Negator right now.
    I don't like those options, except perhaps for Gatekeeper of Malakir, he looks pretty efficient if you ask me.

Demigod of Revenge is too slow for a fast aggro deck with efficient beaters, same with Dusk Urchins.

Vampire Nighthawk isn't bad, but I can't find a single reason anyone would play it over Hypnotic Specter.

Ashenmoor Gouger isn't bad, but he just feels kinda underwhelming.

So far I am sticking to Hypnotic Specter, Tombstalker, Nantuko Shade and perhaps Gatekeeper to complement the removal spells.

Is Nantuko still considered top notch for monoblack, or is it outdated?

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

You are all forgetting Korlash.
    And I smell some serious potential in the form of Dross Harvester.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

This is a short list.

1. Dark Confidant
    2. Gatekeeper of Malakir
    3/4. Tombstalker/Nantuko Shade.

Confidant's only as good as your ability to not die horribly off of him, and if this is Mono Black Control, I'd say you're better off with Phyrexian Arena or something else entirely.

Gatekeeper of Malakir belongs in nearly every mono black deck that doesn't strive for a combo finish.

Stalker's better than Shade in a vacuum, but Stalker has that downside of fighting every other ridiculously good card in the format for graveyard resources, meaning Tombstalker gets a little weaker with things like Tarmogoyf or Grim Lavamancer. Tombstalker also doesn't fill as fast without fetchlands. Tombstalker's also very dangerous to run alongside Confidant.

Shade's solid, but is at his best when you don't have to overcommit mana elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

The Sources Headache, your gunna need more than a tylenol.
    May 2009

don't forget oona's prowler its another terribly under estimated card.
    "I realize none of you like me. I accept it. But like all dark people, I'm rejoicing on your pain! Muwhahaha! "

How about Nyxathid, combined with powerful discard spells such as Hypnotic Specter, Hymn to Tourach, Duress and Thoughtseize?

Mecum omnes plangite
    Aug 2009
    45°33'2"52 N, 09°20'41"28 E

Shriekmaw, Dark Confidant, Tombstalker. Either you run Confidant, or you run the other two.
    0.05.14 [Digital Devil] <Digital Devil> Ach! Hans, run! It's the Tarmogoyf!
    0.05.17 [Hans (GER)] <Hans (GER)> ...
    0.05.20 [<System>] <System> Player Lost

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by DeMarki View Post
    How about Nyxathid, combined with powerful discard spells such as Hypnotic Specter, Hymn to Tourach, Duress and Thoughtseize?
    Nyxathid is pretty bad. Discard is great, but there are creatures that compliment it more than Nyxathid: Tombstalker for example. Playing discard spells means your GY will fill fast -> Tombstalker is easily powered out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nidd View Post
    Nyxathid is pretty bad. Discard is great, but there are creatures that compliment it more than Nyxathid: Tombstalker for example. Playing discard spells means your GY will fill fast -> Tombstalker is easily powered out.
    You could play both. :)

By the way, how is Hypnotic Specter in Legacy, is he still considered a threat, or just annoying?

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by DeMarki View Post
    You could play both. :)

By the way, how is Hypnotic Specter in Legacy, is he still considered a threat, or just annoying?
    Turn 1 Hypno is great, turn 3 Hypno is decent. He's still disruptive as ever, but the damage isn't amazing so as a 2/2, you won't be relying on it to kill the opponent. Its primary purpose is clearing out the hand.

And yeah, you usually play it in decks with Ritual 'cause turn 1 Hypno kicks major butt but turn 3 is merely "Ok". Without the chance of dropping it turn 1, I wouldn't play it.

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

I don't think a T1 hypnotic specter is really that great right now. So many decks will be able to deal with that already with:

+Lightning bolt
    +Daze
    +Force
    +Swords

One of which is in pretty much every deck. Yes, removal is not a reason to necessarily argue for/against a creature, but I think that in this case it matters for a card which is not that great unless you get him out first turn, since even then it's not looking that great.

That said I also think oona's prowler is a very underrated card, though I have no experience with it in Legacy.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Royal Assassin
    Stone-Throwing Devils
    Juzam Djinn

Trying to trade into power!!!
    Hit me up if you have any unlimited power that isn't creased. Maybe we can make a deal.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by Valtrix View Post
    I don't think a T1 hypnotic specter is really that great right now. So many decks will be able to deal with that already with:
    "Use a counter or a removal spell. If you don't, you're in deep shit" is about as good as you can ask of your turn 1 play.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Would running 4 Gatekeeper of Malakir be enough for maindeck removal or should he compliment other removal spells for a deck to be effective?

Thread Information