Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Ur tears of nerdrage taste so sweet to me.
    Feb 2008
    Do not care.

[SCD] Jace, the Mind Sculptor

http://www.wizards.com/mtg/images/da...rly45ts2mv.jpg

UHM WTF?!

(for all who can't decypher his abilities:

[+2]: Look at the top card of target player’s library, you may put it on the bottom of their library.

[0]: Draw three cards, then put two cards from your hand on top of your library in any order.

[-1]: Return target creature to its owner’s hand.

[-12]: Exile all cards from target player’s library, then that player shuffles his or her hand into his or her library.

Control get's some new goodie I guess?
    Team Legal Actions.

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

Re: [SCD] Jace, the Mind Sculptor

I like the ability to brainstorm every turn its too bad he costs 4 but still seems really good.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

Quote Originally Posted by rockout View Post
    I like the ability to brainstorm every turn its too bad he costs 4 but still seems really good.
    This. Four mana restricts him pretty much to control, but he's arguably much better than Jace #1 there if there's not too much already in the four-drop slot.

It's an extra card every turn off the back of a brainstorm (with no loss to loyalty). Seems very strong to me! Probably mostly useful for Landstill.

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

I wish the +2 ability was more relevant. If it could protect itself at a net gain in loyalty counters, then I'd really love it. Even if we could just use its bounce ability as an instant, I'd be pleased.

Obviously, the cost puts it at dedicated control or at the very least, more controllish versions of agro-control.

The card looks less relevant when you are in a losing position (often the game state in the first 4 turns of a dedicated control deck).

If you drop the card while your board position is even to your opponent's, then it can quickly put your opponent away. The second brainstorm activation becomes card advantage. I think two brainstorms are easily worth an FoF, so if you can make that happen, it is efficient enough.

I think it won't make much of a splash, but it could see some play.

peace,
    4eak

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Isn't there already a thread for discussing Worldwake?

Costing 4 is a bitch, and potentially dying to Lightning Bolt or Nacatl or Qasali swing or Goyf if you Brainstorm immediately is just rough. But it's so gamebreaking in the control mirror that I can't imagine it won't see play, at least in sideboards.

There's absolutely no reason to SCD this. It won't see play outside of Landstill or other control shells, so just discuss it there.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddian View Post
    Isn't there already a thread for discussing Worldwake?
    Good cards (like Ponder, Thoughtseize) can have their own SCDs even if they're in a new set. This seems suitably awesome enough that it deserves its own thread.

Honestly, I love this card. The ultimate is fucking awesome. Brainstorming every turn in a format with 4 blue fetches is awesome. Unsummon is usually meh, but I like the flexibility.

Great card. Can't wait to test it in LS. Not sure if it's better than Elspeth, but the ultimate is better even if it's more of a pain to pull off (6 vs. 5 turns, if you're just ramping, but Jace will live post-ultimate)

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

I'm beyond excited to start testing this thing in CounterTop. Yeah, what up 4CC slot! I'll take +1 card Brainstorms all day, thanks!

This guy probably slots better into Supreme Blue than any other variations on Counter-Top mostly because Supreme Blue tends towards the control end of the spectrum anyway and could milk a lot of mileage out of Brainstorm-on-a-Stick.

Oct 2009
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I'm beyond excited to start testing this thing in CounterTop. Yeah, what up 4CC slot! I'll take +1 card Brainstorms all day, thanks!
    Exactly what I was thinking. A card that counters landstills bombs with counterbalance, as well as can be dropped for card advantage? Yes please.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Are we sure the 0 ability puts back two cards and not three?

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Dodge this.
    Jan 2005
    Westland, Michigan

This actually fits my pet deck perfectly even without the built in Brainstorm. I'll take two.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Are we sure the 0 ability puts back two cards and not three?
    Yes. The full card has been pieced together.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=206535

Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. A card that counters landstills bombs with counterbalance, as well as can be dropped for card advantage? Yes please.
    EDIT Ignore me, I see what you're saying 4CC Converted mana cost

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Regular Jace is already a card draw engine for one less mana with a kill condition attached, and it's not used. You're never, ever going to get this up to twelve counters in anything but a hardlock position, so effectively you're paying four mana for a Brainstorm on a stick that died to Lightning Bolt.

Regular Jace is barely playable in Legacy and certainly better than this.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

I agree with IBA that the Ultimate seems not that relevant in a Landstill type of deck, they would rather play Brainstorm every turn than the +2 ability. From time to time in control wars it might come in handy but usually players will rather Brainstorm until they have won by card advantage.

But I think everyone underestimates the Unsummon ability. Playing it and bouncing a Goyf seems like a strong tempo play. They have to recast it, you get to untap, Brainstorm and kill it. The original Jace had no way to defend itself so you could only play it on an empty board which was quite annoying if your removal is something like Wrath or Explosives.

Nov 2003
    San Diego

It's way better than regular Jace, if only for pinching out the mirror. I mean, you expect a better card when you pay more, but the extra cost really doesn't matter against Control, and the effect is much better.

Jace 1 is not a very good card against Aggro or Combo at any rate, so if your metagame warrants Jace 1, I can't imagine you would still run it over Jace 2, which will win the control mirror more easily.

But honestly when the hype wears down, I don't see this as being played anywhere outside of Landstill as a 1-of, and just to beat the mirror (with applications elsewhere, yes, but you wouldn't play it if there weren't any other control players in your meta).

4 mana is a fuckton in a format with Daze and Spell Pierce and a lot of aggro. Jace 2 is essentially just as easy to kill as Bob, is much more expensive, and only has a marginally better effect.

EDIT: Tao pointed out that you can bounce Goyf. Nice. So now he bolts Jace (or Magma Jets), replays the Goyf, and you're down a mana tempo after that tempolicious play. Oh, and goyf is +1/+1 because it now feeds of of Planeswalkers. Om nom nom.

Mar 2007
    RI

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddian View Post
    EDIT: Tao pointed out that you can bounce Goyf. Nice. So now he bolts Jace (or Magma Jets), replays the Goyf, and you're down a mana tempo after that tempolicious play. Oh, and goyf is +1/+1 because it now feeds of of Planeswalkers. Om nom nom.
    Errr... How is the control player down tempo? He's fogging an attack, both players are tapping 3-4 mana and are breaking even on cards? If anything I'd think the control player is gaining tempo, because they're both basically gained no ground on respective turn 4, progressing the game to turn 5, with no real change in board state (Goyf gained a P/T; and missed an attack).

The control player paid 4 mana for Jace. And bounced a Goyf, who, now recast is summoning sick (negating an attack). It cost them 2 mana to replay the Goyf and another 1-2 mana plus a card in hand answer the Jace. At 4 mana the gains are far from spectacular, but the card is clearly not geared to be good against agro anyway.

In contrast, against a Goyf in a Supreme Blue, or ProBant build or something the effect of Unsummoning it is that much better, as Tao mentions the following turn you can use the Brainstorm ability to dig for a permanent answer to it. And their deck is likely not packing direct damage to kill the 'Walker.
    TPDMC

They call me a slob, but I do my job...
    Sep 2009
    Back to the city by the sea, blowin' in the wind, fighting with hordes of retired people

I can see it definitely fitting in a Supreme Blue shell. It could be great for the deck strategy: stall/sweep the first few turns, then drop Jace and go for massive CA and card quality. He is also pretty good with counterbalance, and can basically solve the loss of Dark Confidant as a draw engine.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

To reiterate, this Jace, unlike most Planeswalkers thusfar, does not fill the alternate function of being a kill condition, not even a shitty one like old Jace (although one upside to this printing is that I can now refer to my next control deck featuring the other version as Arsenic and Old Jace).

Therefore, this is a card draw engine.

At four mana.

Need I remind you fuckers;

This. This is what new Jace is competing with.

For one more blue commitment. At sorcery speed. And dying to fucking Lightning Bolt.

Secret: Brainstorm is only good because it's drastically undercosted. No one plays fucking Compulsive Research in Legacy.

This card is to Brainstorm as Concentrate is to Ancestral Recall. With Concentrate probably being more tournament viable. While I don't want to say the card is unplayable- it's potentially fine in Block or T2- it's nowhere near matching the card drawing power of the above mentioned cards that still aren't played in a lot of control decks in Legacy.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Thread Information