Thread: [Report] Playing "Tezzeret"

Poisonous Foogoofiish
    Feb 2006
    Germany

[Report] Playing "Tezzeret"

Just coming back from a small local tournament. 19 people showed up and we got 5 rounds with Top 8 not being played out.

I played my Tezzeret deck, because i wanted to test it in a tournament setting.

// Lands
    2 [TSP] Academy Ruins
    3 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (4)
    4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
    3 [EX] City of Traitors
    1 [MR] Seat of the Synod
    5 [CS] Snow-Covered Island
    1 [B] Tundra
    4 [ON] Polluted Delta
    1 [B] Underground Sea

// Creatures
    3 [LRW] Sower of Temptation
    3 [FD] Trinket Mage

// Spells
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    4 [ARB] Thopter Foundry
    4 [MR] Thirst for Knowledge
    2 [ALA] Tezzeret the Seeker
    4 [SH] Mox Diamond
    4 [FUT] Sword of the Meek
    4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
    2 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    2 [SH] Ensnaring Bridge

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 [SH] Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 1 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 [FD] Crucible of Worlds
    SB: 1 [10E] Pithing Needle
    SB: 4 [TE] Propaganda
    SB: 2 [MOR] Vendilion Clique
    SB: 3 [DIS] Spell Snare
    SB: 1 [DS] Trinisphere

Round 1: T2 Zoo
    Game 1 i lose quick by keeping a bad hand ( 2 Misras and a City, no blue mana) and beats from a grown Lynx.
    Game 2 i brought in 1-2 Bridges for Sower i think. Chalice and Bridge lock him with the combo sealing the deal.
    Game 3 was similiar to game 2.
    No real competition as it was a T2 deck, but i have to be careful what hands i keep.

Round 2: Bant Survival + Natural Order combo.
    Game 1 is drawn out - he gets an Emperial Archangel into play which is stopped by Bridge.
    Game 2 i sided incorrectly here, which i will explain in the primer. Bottomline is that i kept nearly all of my X and >=4 spells, which gets punished by a quick Teeg from his side. I get a combo going for around 2 activations before it gets answererd (in fact he answered two Foundrys), which gave me a couple of tokens. They win the race against a goyf and a couple of STP from his side. Lucky game, i hadaround 5 dead cards due to Frodo in hand.

Round 3: UW homebrew control
    I made a couple of mistakes here. we both start slow and i get a Chalice down after seeing him tutoring for a Nought with a Mage. The Chalice gets answered and he puts down the Nought. Before he can attack i play a Bridge, which gave me some time. I had Sower in hand, but hestitated to play her, because i was tight on mana and saw a Thirst Dazed a couple of turns earlier.
    He plays a Cryptic Command to bounce my Bridge and the Nought hit brought me low enough to die to Faery Conclave beats. Ouch.

For game 2 i sided incorrectly, i asumed some kind of Dreadstill and brought in 2 Bridges i think (after the game he told me that he removed 4 Stifle and his single Nought). I should have brought in the Clique for sure.
    I am on the play and lose a Thirst to a Daze (not everybody sides it out on the draw i guess ). After this punt i keep going by Forcing through a Chalice for 1, which gets answered by an EE a turn later, which also kills my vital Mox.
    After this i am nearly dead. he plays an Intution for three AK. I Force the Ak, but should have forced the Intuition before instead (i think i had FoW online there). Already struggling he finds his 4th AK and its just a formality to kill me.
    I should have put more thought in both my game and sideboard strategy here.

Round 4 against Glimpse Combo Elves.
    Game 1 i lose to a lot of beats and a small Tendrils i think. At one point he played Weired Harvest for to "CITP destroy artifact elves", were i fetched two Trinket Mages, figuring he had now creature worthy to steal with Sower.
    For this fellow i brought in 4 Propaganda and Trinisphere (maybe stupid, but hes deck was quite combo centered) for Bridge and Soweri think.
    We play a couple of turns and keep thinking that i will lose sooner or later, but then i get the combo online, which puts him to sleep after some Elve-shenanigans.
    Game 3 he was mana scrwed for a couple of turns due to a quick Chalice for 1. I use this time to increase my advantage and get the combo online quite early. Before winning i FoW a Glimpse.

Round 5 against Bant Countertop
    He starts with Noble and a Top i think. I am a little bit screwed, which results in not getting Bridge online and losing a drawn out game. I made the mistake to not Fow a Brainstorm with Foundry on the stack and a CB on his side. It wasnt relevant to the outcome of the game, but Fowing would have been superior, because of Bridge and the possibilty to stall with Foundry.

Game 2 i brought in Clique and Bridge for 1 EE and 2 Fow i think.
    Very close, we both race, he with exalted Goyf and me with Clique and Factory. I lose the race, by getting Sower denied and a Jitte which kills Clique.

Thats it, no spectecular win, but i am quite satisfied for my first tournament with this deck and it was great fun for sure.

Link to new thread: http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15917
    Last edited by deadlock; 12-22-2009 at 01:31 PM.
    BBB

Nov 2003
    San Diego

Re: [Report] Playing "Tezzeret"

Why would you think he'd side out the Dazes? Your deck has at least as many second, third, and fourth turn+ drops than first turn drops, and most of your most dangerous spells aren't turn 1 drops. You also run very few creatures, and he's playing UW Control.

Would you board out your creature kill, which are almost completely dead, or would you board out your Dazes, which could be used to stop one of the combo element bombs?

It seems batshit retarded for a UW player to board out Dazes if he has them.

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddian View Post
    It seems batshit retarded for a UW player to board out Dazes if he has them.
    It seems batshit for a UW CONTROL player to be playing Dazes. Last I heard control player don't like missing land drops, much less undoing them.

Rawr
    Feb 2009
    Ecuador

Quote Originally Posted by alderon666 View Post
    It seems batshit for a UW CONTROL player to be playing Dazes. Last I heard control player don't like missing land drops, much less undoing them.
    So only merfolk should play daze?

Quote Originally Posted by snorlaxcom View Post
    So only merfolk should play daze?
    No, pretty much any kind of aggro-control should be. But UW control is not aggro-control. You can tell because there is no letter 'A' or 'G' or the word 'aggro' in the phrase "UW Control".

With study and practice, I am confident that you will not commit this logical error in the future. I believe in you. Go get 'em, tiger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

Colonizer of Dreams

Aug 2009

I played a similiar list yesterday in a 60 players tournament in Hassloch. I went 3-2-1. The matches i lost were very close and i had to draw the last one due to timeout. I think i would have won that one, if we had more time. I won against UW Merfolk, Mono-U Merfolk and UW Control. I lost against Aggro Loam, due to a mistake i made and against Bant-Survival. The Draw was against Bant Aggro.

Priceless was the look on the face of Stefan Czolk, the moment he saw that i played Doom Blade. My list was the following:

4x Counterspell
    3x Doom Blade
    4x Force of Will
    4x Lim-Dûl's Vault
    4x Thirst for Knowledge

4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x Ensnaring Bridge
    3x Sword of the Meek
    3x Thopter Foundry

3x Tezzeret the Seeker

1x Academy Ruins
    4x Ancient Tomb
    1x Flooded Strand
    6x Island
    1x Misty Rainforest
    1x Polluted Delta
    1x Scalding Tarn
    2x Seat of the Synod
    2x Underground Sea
    1x Vault of Whispers

Sideboard

3x Arcane Laboratory
    4x Engineered Plague
    1x Pithing Needle
    4x Submerge
    3x Tormod's Crypt

@deadlock: If you are interested in a full report, you should check mtgblogs.de in the upcoming days, where i will write a full tournament report in german, when i find some time.

Edit: I wrote it. Here's the link for the people, who are able to speak german: http://www.mtgblogs.de/teamrockit?p=1971
    Last edited by flrn; 01-18-2010 at 04:52 AM.

Poisonous Foogoofiish
    Feb 2006
    Germany

Interesting list, not playing Mox Diamond gives you much more room for business spells.
    How did you liked Vault - for my taste there is a little too much card disadvantage between Vault, Mox and Force. Personally i would replace them with the 4th combo piece each and maybe a mix of EE and Impulse. Also do you think 3 Tezzeret and 4 Bridge are the correct numbers? Reaching 5 mana is quite hard in some matchups and the second Bridge is redundant if you already have one - but quite needed in some cases. So it makes sense i guess.

I also replied to your Blog.
    BBB

Colonizer of Dreams

Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by deadlock View Post
    Interesting list, not playing Mox Diamond gives you much more room for business spells.
    How did you liked Vault - for my taste there is a little too much card disadvantage between Vault, Mox and Force. Personally i would replace them with the 4th combo piece each and maybe a mix of EE and Impulse. Also do you think 3 Tezzeret and 4 Bridge are the correct numbers? Reaching 5 mana is quite hard in some matchups and the second Bridge is redundant if you already have one - but quite needed in some cases. So it makes sense i guess.

I also replied to your Blog.
    Yeah i answered to your comment at the blog. Yeah the Vault is Card Disadvantage. But it is such a good card preboard to find the pieces you need to find. It also has synergy with Ensnaring Bridge. And i never had problems getting 5 Mana with 4 Tombs and 4 Chrome Mox. If you have the stuff you need the Vault is the best card to imprint into the Mox since it gives you both of the mana you need. And against those Bant lists i really need two or three Bridges per game since they will handle at least one. They have Pridemages, they have Trygon Predator, they have Grip postboard. It's really hard to play through that much hate.

Poisonous Foogoofiish
    Feb 2006
    Germany

Having the Mox is pretty nice i admit, i should give Vault a try i guess.

Have you considered Sower from the board? Most decks will cut there spot removal in g2 and if not Chalice takes care of most stuff. It can deal with Trygon, which can also be answered if you get a Brige online fast. Pridemage is another story though. In my testing stuff like Relic wasnt that much of a problem, as you just need another spare artifact on the board, which you can sac for the Foundry in response to the Relic activation (which normally gets activated in response to the Foundry activation saccing the Sword).

I still like needle against, it can shutdown Vial, Survival or Plainswalker.
    BBB

Colonizer of Dreams

Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by deadlock View Post
    Having the Mox is pretty nice i admit, i should give Vault a try i guess.

Have you considered Sower from the board? Most decks will cut there spot removal in g2 and if not Chalice takes care of most stuff. It can deal with Trygon, which can also be answered if you get a Brige online fast. Pridemage is another story though. In my testing stuff like Relic wasnt that much of a problem, as you just need another spare artifact on the board, which you can sac for the Foundry in response to the Relic activation (which normally gets activated in response to the Foundry activation saccing the Sword).

I still like needle against, it can shutdown Vial, Survival or Plainswalker.
    Mh. Sower out of the board could be good especially with a chalice. Will test this one. I dont quite get your Mishra's Factory though. The opponent has creatures to block in most cases. I think Blinkmoth Nexus is the way to go here since it has evasion and it's easier to attack with under a Bridge and having 2 doesnt hurt since one can pump the other after the attackers have been declared.

Thread Information