Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strongest/Most broken generals?

Goblin Piledriver
    Jul 2008
    Netherlands

Strongest/Most broken generals?

Who do you guys think the strongest generals in EDH are? And what does it depend on?
    Some generals like Gwendlyn Di Corci enable the use of some sick colour-combinations while still doing something marginally useful (going apeshit stormcombo style, while being able to cast a general that does something relevant if you have shitty draws) while others like Uril basically say 'build a deck around me and beat face'.

There's a shitload of EDH side-events around where I live and it might be fun to partake in them from time to time, but I've never really bothered checking out the 'EDH metagame' (if there is one) except on MWS. If I were to ever fork over any of my hard-earned cash on an EDH side-event I'd love to have some more insight in the subject. I play Arcum myself and I think he's up there among the best decks to play, and I'm working on Iname, Death Aspect (still not satisfied) which I think can be completely broken but I'd love to hear some comments by the enlightened minds at the Source.

I personally think Azami and Rofellos are the current best generals, based on my (mostly casual) real-life EDH experiences and MWS play. What do you guys think?
    Hello friend.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Re: Strongest/Most broken generals?

Quote Originally Posted by Ectoplasm View Post
    Who do you guys think the strongest generals in EDH are? And what does it depend on?
    Some generals like Gwendlyn Di Corci enable the use of some sick colour-combinations while still doing something marginally useful (going apeshit stormcombo style, while being able to cast a general that does something relevant if you have shitty draws) while others like Uril basically say 'build a deck around me and beat face'.

There's a shitload of EDH side-events around where I live and it might be fun to partake in them from time to time, but I've never really bothered checking out the 'EDH metagame' (if there is one) except on MWS. If I were to ever fork over any of my hard-earned cash on an EDH side-event I'd love to have some more insight in the subject. I play Arcum myself and I think he's up there among the best decks to play, and I'm working on Iname, Death Aspect (still not satisfied) which I think can be completely broken but I'd love to hear some comments by the enlightened minds at the Source.

I personally think Azami and Rofellos are the current best generals, based on my (mostly casual) real-life EDH experiences and MWS play. What do you guys think?
    As a long-time Azami player, I'll honestly say this:

If you can add black to the deck by playing any number of other generals, do it. It makes the "broken storm deck" far, far more broken. As such, any of the 5c Generals are inherantly more capable of making a dumb storm deck than Azami, or a stupid control deck.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Are we talking about true EDH, with it's 4-player free-for-all madness? Or 1v1 EDH? Cuz the most powerful 1v1 generals, such as Rofellos, Azami, Arcum, and Zur, end up playing 1vs3 players at once in the 4-player game: nobody wants to auto lose to them, so everyone gangs up on them.

For 4player EDH, I think the best generals are ones like Sisay and Sens Triplets, and maybe Thraximundar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Goblin Piledriver
    Jul 2008
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    Are we talking about true EDH, with it's 4-player free-for-all madness? Or 1v1 EDH?
    Both, basically. Also I'd like to think that in a perfect world, everybody would be playing equally good (or broken, if you may) generals in an FFA so nobody would discriminate.
    Hello friend.

mull to the skull
    Oct 2007
    SoCal

I just starting playing EDH and was doing a bit of homework.

What I've read (so far) includes these generals as top tier:

Rofellos
    Rhada
    GAAIV
    Arcum Daggson
    Erayo
    Vendilion Clique
    Azami
    Zur
    Sharuum

I'm sure that there are more, but these are the ones that float around the most often for competitive 1v1.
    Basically the best strategies are ones that focus on denial or combo, as Nightmare stated.

Smarter than your average Bear Deck
    Jan 2009

Rafiq
    Godo
    Karthhus
    Rofellos
    Braids (no longer, but she's a bi*ch lol)
    Sharuum
    All suck! lol

Erayo, you might as well play Winter Orb while you're at it and paint a giant bullseye on your forehead :P Since you're basically telegraphing what you're gonna do to them lol

Now good generals vs "generals that make good decks" is a different story >.<
    May your suffering equal your weakness
    --Ihsan's Shade

May 2005

Azusa, Lost But Awesome

Why is Braids like the only potential general that's banned? I mean, yeah, she's strong... But was she really breaking the format??
    Bless your heart, we must consider Blue/White Tempo's strategy and win percentages in an entirely different deck thread. -4eak

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Braids is the only general, that if you ride the faerie dragon and pop her out on turn 1 or 2, will win you the game no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDemonKn1ght View Post
    Why is Braids like the only potential general that's banned? I mean, yeah, she's strong... But was she really breaking the format??
    The only thing Braids does is decrease interaction and she's damn good at it. She serves no other purpose than to Smokestack people out of the game before they even get started. It's detrimental to the whole "fun multiplayer brawl" concept that the format tries to cater towards.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Being a 1C 2/1 with an ability isn't enough to make a card good by default. Elvish Archer is to First Striking as Dark Confidant is to card draw, and Nezumi Graverobber is to robbing graves as Tarmogoyf is to being much much better than a 2/1, but what the fuck does that even mean?

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Horde of Notions is the "best" of the five-color generals, and decent enough for a control deck.

As mentioned, Uril, Azami, and Rofellos are all pretty silly. Gaddock Teag can be a real beating against control, but makes you play silly green and white creatures, so meh.
    InfoNinjas

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDemonKn1ght View Post
    I won a 5 player chaos EDH game once by doing this with Braids:

My turn 1: Swamp, Sol Ring, Charcoal Diamond.
    Their turn 1's: lands, cipt lands, etc, go.
    My turn 2: (Drew mana crypt). Crypt, Swamp, Braids, Bitterblossom, go.
    Everyone else: concede.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Zur aka Dr. Strange could get pretty broken...

Hes so good, he even made the Legacy Crossover :P

If they printed enough rebels, Lin Sivvi might get there. Recurring, Toolboxing key rebels is really good.

I just wish that WoTC prints more rebels.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Aug 2009
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    There were timeshifted rebels in Futuresight so you can still hope.

What about Ashling the Pilgrim? She can do some early beating and will be
    a fatty + massremoval and big damage in the lategame. Or is she outclassed
    by other red generals like Godo or Kumano?

Nov 2006
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    Azusa, Lost But Awesome
    Azusa is awesome. Does anyone have an Azusa EDH?
    "Part of me belives that Barrin taught me meditation simply to shut me up."

-Ertai, wizard adept

http://solidarityprimer.proboards85.com/index.cgi

Bryant Cook

I'm surprised Godo isn't getting more love. He's absolutely retarded, ask the people around 'Cuse what they think of Protection: Your deck.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

No mention of Sedris yet? For shame! he's fuck-busted in 1v1 as a control piece. I just wish there were more good Evoke creatures in those colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Happy Troll
    May 2009
    Rochester, NY

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    If they printed enough rebels, Lin Sivvi might get there. Recurring, Toolboxing key rebels is really good.

I have a Lin Sivvi deck. She's a good general for 1v1 games. Pretty hilarious against my friend's Rafiq deck. You've got Whipcorder, Defiant Vanguard, pro black/red gliders, Outrider en-Kor + Task Force/Cho-Manno, and Children of Korlis for defense. Once you've built up your mana base and gotten enough guys into play, Mirror Entity serves as the win condition.

It's less impressive in larger multiplayer games, mainly because of the number of wrath effects running around. The deck can recover from being wrathed, but it's slow to do so. One piece of tech that I want to put in is Changeling Hero, simply so that I can recruit it and champion Sivvi in response to a wrath, speeding up my recovery by a turn.

Other than that weakness, the only thing that I feel is really missing is a rebel that can destroy artifacts/enchantments.

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Isn't Lin-Sivvi + Mirror Entity (rebel) + other random rebels busted as hell?

Edit: Ninjutsu
    Last edited by whienot; 12-22-2009 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Ninja'd
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

Gaddock Teeg is quite broken and so lame ...

But I like Zur's brokeness

Thread Information