Thread: [Duel for Duals] 15th with Supreme Blue

Montreal's legacy scene
    Sep 2008
    Montreal

[Duel for Duals] 15th with Supreme Blue

Hello legacy lovers!

Montreal's team is back from Vestal with a not so glorious achievement but I still wanted to make this report as I think this deck needs more feedback from the community. I finished 15th with 5-2, taking 4 Verdant Catacombs and one of my teammate 18th with 5-2 also, while playing GWB Survival Order (with Retainer/Iona). While 4 Verdant Catacombs is not as good as a mox pearl, I'm still very satisfied with this tournament, mostly because I felt confidant in all my matches.

We left friday from Montreal to Vestal at 14:00, arriving at 20:15, mostly because of the weather between Syracuse and Binghamton. We arrived there, took a look at Eli's "new" store, bought a couple of cards/game and we were ready for a good night before the tournament. Hell thanks to Murray who's working for Hilton and make our weekend soooo much cheaper. 30$ a night diveded by 4 in a 150$/night hotel is what we call, "un osti de bon prix".

82 players, 7 rounds. Mox and fetches added to the prices.

List:
    // Lands
    1 Island
    2 Volcanic Island
    3 Tundra
    4 Tropical Island
    2 Flooded Strand
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Forest

// Creatures
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Rhox War Monk
    1 Progenitus
    3 Wall of Roots

// Spells
    3 Firespout
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    3 Daze
    4 Counterbalance
    3 Natural Order

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 Krosan Grip
    SB: 1 Ancient Grudge
    SB: 1 Trygon Predator
    SB: 2 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 2 Thwart
    SB: 2 Relic of Progenitus
    SB: 2 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 1 Llawan, Cephalid Empress
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle

Round 1:
    Against Harry Matten Gillen (hungryLIKEALION), playing Zoo

He wins the die roll.
    1st game: He goes for Figure first turn and start a slow beating. When he lands a second creature I firespout em away and play a Tarmogoyf. I swords one of his, he paths mine, and we go back and forth a bit, while he is applying some damages with an exalted second goyf. I only find creatures from my Top and in a turn, I add a second goyf to my battlefield and a RWM, feeling pretty confidant with my chances to recover at 6 lifes. Well the 2 cards he has in hand are Chain and Bolt, so go to game 2.

SB: -2 Daze, +2 E.E.

2nd game: I blindly play E.E. at 1 and pass. He plays Figure again. 2nd turn I land Wall of roots, go. He plays Qasali. I firespout away his board and the turn after I have a Progenitus in play.

3rd game: He goes 1st turn Figure again. I play top. Spin at my turn and only see creatures. Damn. The game goes pretty much like the first one, except we exchange a lot of E.E., both side. I never find CB nor Natural Order and I eventually lose to a 6 damage pop.

0-1

Round 2:
    Against Jeff playing Eva Green

I win the die roll.
    1st game: I lock him with CB pretty quickly and all he's able to do is landing a Tombstalker. I fetch to find a STP, but instead I find Natural Order, saccing my wall and winning the race while I have plenty of creatures to sacrifice to Gatekeeper.

SB: +2 E.E., -2 Firespout

2nd game: Swamp, go. Volcanic, Go. Dark ritual, yes, Thoughtseize, Brainstorm in response, hiding CB and a 2CC. He takes a Sword and play choke. Ouch. I eventually have Wall of roots to spin my top but after he kills it, I scoop and go to g3

3rd game: He has early hippy, but I have top to hide good cards. He lands Tombstalker but I have NO the turn after which win the race because of a well timed Swords to plowshares.

1-1

Round 3:
    Against Jim playing T.E.S.

I win the die roll. I know he plays TES.
    1st game: I open with CB Top and 2 dazes and he doesn't duress me first turn. After having CB/Top assembled I start swinging with RWM. He eventually tries an hardcasted Ad Nauseam but I have a Force on top.

SB: +2 Thwart, +1 Grudge, +1 Trygon, +2 E.E., -4 NO/Pro, -2 Wall

2nd game: I open an even better hand of Top, Cb, Rwm, Force, Force, land, Fetch. I land CB top, then an other top, than a RWM and I eventually build a hand like: Force, Force, Thwart, Thwart, Daze. Love you blue cards!

2-1

Round 4:
    Against Ron playing Eva Green

Have I mentionned how I like facing this deck? Guys stop playing it, it's terrible.
    I win the die roll.
    1st Game: I open a one lander with Brainstorm, Fow, CB, Top. I'm generaly ballsy with these hands and keep. Tropical, go. Wasteland, crack, brainstorm in response, NO, NO, Firespout... ouch. Draw, go. Thoughtseize, scoop.

SB: +2 E.E. -2 Firespout

2nd Game: 3 goyfs hand are so good against this kind of deck. It wins by itself.

3rd game: he mulls to 5 and I kill his creature, land a wall of roots, goyf, goyf. He never finds his green source and I get a free win. I felt sorry for that, as I pretty much didn't deserve to win this 2 of 3, but eh. Goyfs > empty board.

3-1

Round 5:
    Against Brandon playing poissons (Merfolks)

He wins the die roll.
    1st game: He goes for first turn vial. I have Cb/Top assembled quickly but it doesn't do anything. Third turn I land RWM, but he plays eot Reejerey, plays a creature that resolves, attack for 14 with his 4 guys against my tapped RWM. I firespout at my turn and start swinging back my life total. I STP his Mutavault and counter his lords with CB/Top (his vial is at 3).

SB: +1 Llawan, +2 Needle, +2 EE, -4 CB, -1 NO

2nd game: He goes first turn vial. Land for me, go. He land, go. I BS eot and he counter it with Cursecather vialed in. At my turn I play Needle without a 2nd land, naming vial. He plays LOA, which I force. I draw into a second land and play Wall of roots, which he forces. Fine. I play an other one at my turn, and 3 turns later he's getting ate by big big hydras.

4-1

Round 6:
    Against Shawn King playing Dream halls.

I win the die roll.
    1st game: I have early top and goyf. He has infinite cantrips. He goes for Dream Halls, I force, He forces back. with only 3 cards in hand. Ok. He discard a card, plays a Progenitus. At my turn I cast NO, killing both progenitus and attack with Goyf, reducing his life total to 9 with only 1 card in hand. He draws, discard brainstorm, plays Progenitus. What?! that's unfair!! I do not find a second force nor a second NO and i lose.

SB: +2 Grip, +2 Thwart, +1 Trygon, +1 Llawan, -3 Firespout, -3 STP

2nd game: He early intuition into his second island, I play CB top, trying to stop his cantrips and maybe finding a force somewhere. I counter his Show and tell with a RWM on top and a turn later he casts Dream halls. I have Tundra, Tropical, Fetch. I look at top 3 and see RWM, Shit, Grip. I'm mitigated as if I take Grip, I lose my top and I don't have an answer to neither Conflux or Progenitus. I'm guessing he has Progenitus because he played show and tell a turn before. But let's say he doesnt. He plays Dream halls, I response by taking Grip, fetching, ok. He plays Conflux, I grip in response. He can still find an other Dream halls from it and without Top, I'm pretty much out of answer. So I decide to fetch and try finding a 5 CC or 1 of my 6 "FOW". I fail and loose to Conflux/Cruel loop.

4-2

Round 7:
    Against John playing Deadguy Ale

I win the die roll.
    1st game: I lock him with CB, land goyf, swords his Tombstalkers.

SB: I do not remember. He had Mom so I guess I brought E.E., maybe taking out Dazes. Yeah, +2 EE, +1 Grudge (he was playing Jitte and Top), -3 Daze.

2nd game: He slows my goyf beatdown with 2 MoM. I firespout 1 of them with 1 hippy. I eventually have RWM, Goyf, Goyf, I'm able to tricks him with a 4/5 goyf, blocking Tombstalker, flashback grudge for his Jitte, swording Mom that blocked the other goyf. I firespout the rest of his battlefield at my next turn and attack for the win.

5-2

Props:
    Sourcers are so great to meet.
    4 Verdant Catacombs, already sold to my mate
    Justin N. (psu42), for his crazy good idea of putting Natural Order in Supreme blue shell
    GWB Survival with Natural Order AND Retainer/Iona
    jimirynk, so kind.
    Eli and CDR for their GREEEAAAAT job
    CDR again for his excellent coverage, while being alone to do everything

Slops:
    Applebee's
    Tony T's Line up
    How Vestal can be colder than Montreal??
    goobafish, going to montreal to play PTQ extended while we are going to Vestal, haha

Hope to see you again!

P-M

Jan 2009
    Plateau, Montreal

Re: [Duel for Duals] 15th with Supreme Blue

...is what we call, "un osti de bon prix".
    Hilarious.

Why did the deck lose thrice to Zoo? Even though we had huge walls, sweepers and NO to race them, they still managed to get through. Bringing in EE post board instead of Daze is key, but what else can we do to improve the MU?

Lion
    May 2009
    Bethlehem, PA

While I can't vouch for the other two losses, he lost to me because I'm the greatest zoo player alive :p but all joking aside, I think zoo is a more resilient deck than you're giving it credit for. People tend to dismiss it as a dumb aggro deck, but it's got so many contingency plans for blue matchups that it's almost dumb.

Also, EE really helped me win game 3.

Game 2, i don't think you cast firespout. I'm pretty sure you just made t3 progenitus and I lost.

Anyway, I really enjoyed our match and look forward to meeting you again on the field of battle. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Strangest convenience store I've yet seen: Kum & Go (somewhere in Nebraska). I remember thinking: "Huh, a drive-through bordello. Clever."

Steve Carpenter's my friend.
    Feb 2009
    Poughkeepsie, Ny.

You guys should pm next time you come down for a legacy event.

Jun 2009
    Sao Paulo - Brazil

I'm interrested in the No + PRO in SupremeBlue , did you not missed the ponders to find cards or suffle effects( and less blue cards to pitch to FoW)?
    Did topdeck Wall and NO(without green creature) could be a VERY bad thing?
    Did Dryad Arbor died to your firespout or make your manabase much more fragile?
    Super Bizarros Team.
    HUEHUEHUE BRBRBR. VIVA DILMA!!! EM NOME DE JESUS CRISTO!

Sep 2006
    I'm On a Boat Motherfucker

Quote Originally Posted by Shimi View Post
    I'm interrested in the No + PRO in SupremeBlue , did you not missed the ponders to find cards or suffle effects( and less blue cards to pitch to FoW)?
    I used to play Ponder in the deck, but it is horrible. Firstly, it is always sided out first. Secondly, it kills the 2 cc cards in the deck when it comes to Counterbalance. Seriously, Ponder is just bad in the deck.

Top decking a wall or Natural Order with no green creatures can happen, but rarely..we do have brainstorms and tops. And you also have the ability to fetch out Dryad Arbor.

The chance of having your one Arbor dying to Firespout is there, but low. And I would rather lose him and get 3 or 4 of their dudes and not care. He did play a basic forest, which I don't, simply because I want 2 blue lands for Counterbalance and I'm not worried about Wastelands a lot; especially with Wall of Roots now for extra mana.
    Team SnK - Skizzik no kicker!

Currently looking for: 2x FOIL Sensei's Divining Tops (CHK).
    If you have any of these and are looking to trade or sell, please pm me.

Montreal's legacy scene
    Sep 2008
    Montreal

Well if you look at my old list, you can notice I never played Ponder in Supreme Blue. It is a good aggressiv card, but as a control role, It doesn't shine at all.

Walls were good all day long, playing the control role perfectly while accelerating into an aggressiv start.

Also, I have to say that playing firespout is SO easy in this deck. The only thing you have to worry is you need to keep wall of roots unused (or only once), never fetch your dryad except when you want to NO, and never land a goyf without at least land + instant in the graveyard.

@James: I'll do for sure!

We are playing a basic forest because of the Loam MU (both aggro-loam and 4x.lands) where it really shiiiines. It gives the possibility to cast NO with a wall of roots and any fetch (which means gg against both decks).

P-M

Jun 2009
    Sao Paulo - Brazil

@Enigma Thanks for your feedback , I will do some testing and hope to continue this discussion in the CB topic , just one more think , did you liked pitting needle or would you make some big SB change?
    Did ever played against Evagreen with white splash(for StP , Vindicate)??Did you not missed the 3cc cards for this MUs?
    Super Bizarros Team.
    HUEHUEHUE BRBRBR. VIVA DILMA!!! EM NOME DE JESUS CRISTO!

Montreal's legacy scene
    Sep 2008
    Montreal

@Enigma Thanks for your feedback , I will do some testing and hope to continue this discussion in the CB topic , just one more think , did you liked pitting needle or would you make some big SB change?
    Did ever played against Evagreen with white splash(for StP , Vindicate)??Did you not missed the 3cc cards for this MUs?
    I was hesitant to put the needles main, but our fear to face too much loam decks convinced me to do so. It's also pretty good against Vial and Landstill.

Between the 3 "discard.dec" that I played last week-end, there was a BW, a BG and a BGW. I always found those decks terrible. The 2 or 3 times I had CB/Top on play, I always had the good CC to counter everything except Tombstalker. Six 3cc cards is not bad. We used to play 2-4 back in the days with dif's lists.

P-M

Mantis Toboggan, M.D.
    Aug 2006
    Toronto, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    goobafish, going to montreal to play PTQ extended while we are going to Vestal, haha
    I'm trying to get back on tour, you can't hold that against me! :P Otherwise I would always choose Legacy over Extended.

Good to see that some Canadians made it down for the event.

Thread Information