Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Re: [Deck] Bant

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    Board out daze, jitte, batterskull.

In 2 rest in peace, 1 path, 2 decays, 1 elsepth
    I don't understand this.

Daze is good vs them, it's a fast linear combo deck that uses things like Lotus Petal and Elvish Spirit Guide. Sometimes it will look silly, but more often it'll be backbreaking.

Jitte and Batterskull are stronger that you think, going above 20 life to be able to take a hit is huge in the matchup. And if you're taking out equipment, you take out the Stoneforges right?

Depths doesn't play Loam (usually), don't bring in Rest in Peace. What does Elspeth do?
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    I don't understand this.

Daze is good vs them, it's a fast linear combo deck that uses things like Lotus Petal and Elvish Spirit Guide. Sometimes it will look silly, but more often it'll be backbreaking.

Jitte and Batterskull are stronger that you think, going above 20 life to be able to take a hit is huge in the matchup. And if you're taking out equipment, you take out the Stoneforges right?

Depths doesn't play Loam (usually), don't bring in Rest in Peace. What does Elspeth do?
    Daze sucks against lands. You need to watch their chalice, their crop rotation, and loam.

You probably can take out stoneforge as a 1 of copy, but i want to connect with SOFI and TNN as soon as possible.

i have nothing else to fight lands. Do you? Hence the use for elspeth. I certainly won't be using daze. Meddling mage sucks, containment priest sucks, what else do you have?

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by anwei View Post
    They're not generally playing loam or otherwise using the Gy. Surgical can end the game if you can kill a depths and get them, but it's not a Gy strategy.

Do bring artifact hate for needle, since wastelands are quite good.
    I've seen those decks running both punishing and loam.

Quote Originally Posted by streetMage View Post
    I also board in 2x Surgical Extraction.
    Don't run surgical.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I think surgical is fine. Often enough you can let them make a lage, swords it, then surgical depths. I've won multiple games on the back of that play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I think surgical is fine. Often enough you can let them make a lage, swords it, then surgical depths. I've won multiple games on the back of that play.
    Surgical is great if you can get a Depth.

How many of you actually run surgical.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Daze sucks against lands. You need to watch their chalice, their crop rotation, and loam.

You probably can take out stoneforge as a 1 of copy, but i want to connect with SOFI and TNN as soon as possible.

i have nothing else to fight lands. Do you? Hence the use for elspeth. I certainly won't be using daze. Meddling mage sucks, containment priest sucks, what else do you have?
    We're talking about the BG Depths matchup, not lands. They're very different. Meddling Mage is fine in the matchup, Elspeth really does nothing.

EDIT: Just realised myself and a friend streamed a league with Bant recently where we played against BG Depths, I'm not sure how to link to a timestamp but it's just after an hour and a half into the video for anyone interested. https://www.twitch.tv/islandgomtg/v/103121316

I should probably warn you that we jam some stupid cards into the maindeck usually so there are some Seedtimes and a Winter Orb for fun this time
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Turbo BG Depths and Lands are different decks.
    RG Lands is the match up you want GY hates like RIP.
    I think turbo depths is a worse match up. They have 3-4 needles and 7-8 discards in main. They also have not of this world and crop rotation to fetch Sejiri Steppe as protections. Against a turbo depths, I will bring in needle, extractions and containment priest (and also stifles if I don't have one in main).

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I would advise against containment priest as it does not do what I believe that you think it does
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I would advise against containment priest as it does not do what I believe that you think it does
    yeah, I'm sorry. I just read the texts more carefully. It's non-token.

Surgical is great if you can get a Depth.

How many of you actually run surgical.
    I'm running 2/3 now

When up to 3 slots, as RB Reanimator continues to gain prominence, I would begin considering Leylines in the board.

Edit: Brainstorm Show Collected Company Brew: (seems bad)
    4-Color Collected Company
    Creatures (25)
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Spell Queller
    2 Flickerwisp
    4 True-name Nemesis
    1 Eternal Witness
    2 Vendilion Clique

Spells (14)
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Collected Company
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

Lands (21)
    2 Scrubland
    2 Savannah
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Bayou
    1 Tundra
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Verdant Catacomb
    3 Marsh Flats
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Mana Confluence

SB
    4 Meddling Mage
    4 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Reclamation Sage
    3 Leyline of the Void
    2 Force of Will
    Last edited by anwei; 12-03-2016 at 07:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Nilla Pac View Post
    I've goldfished with Doomsday decks about twenty times and I still haven't won a game yet.

Way way way back in the day (before RIP was printed) I played Leyline in bant and it wasn't very good. I think surgical is by far the better card choice even if there are going to be some games you get turn 1'd with a Chancellor trigger on the stack. I think surgical is so good in a lot of other match ups that I'm sold on playing 3.

When up to 3 slots, as RB Reanimator continues to gain prominence, I would begin considering Leylines in the board.

Edit: Brainstorm Show Collected Company Brew: (seems bad)
    4-Color Collected Company
    Creatures (25)
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Spell Queller
    2 Flickerwisp
    4 True-name Nemesis
    1 Eternal Witness
    2 Vendilion Clique

Spells (14)
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Collected Company
    1 Umezawa’s Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

Lands (21)
    2 Scrubland
    2 Savannah
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Bayou
    1 Tundra
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Verdant Catacomb
    3 Marsh Flats
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Mana Confluence

SB
    4 Meddling Mage
    4 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Reclamation Sage
    3 Leyline of the Void
    2 Force of Will

Also- the new tech is Gurmag Angler in the main as a 1 of.

Quote Originally Posted by TSmiley View Post
    Also- the new tech is Gurmag Angler in the main as a 1 of.
    For Bant or BR Reanimator?

It (or Tasigur) has been on my list to test for Bant, and seems quite good at 1 (fewer Ponders means less good than some other decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Nilla Pac View Post
    I've goldfished with Doomsday decks about twenty times and I still haven't won a game yet.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

For Bant or BR Reanimator?

It (or Tasigur) has been on my list to test for Bant, and seems quite good at 1 (fewer Ponders means less good than some other decks).
    I'd assume Bant, doesn't make much sense in Reanimator.

I don't get what Angler would bring to the deck? We have great beatsticks in the form of True-Names already, not to mention anything equipped. One of the strengths of this deck I've found is being good vs Swords to Plowshares.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    I'd assume Bant, doesn't make much sense in Reanimator.

I don't get what Angler would bring to the deck? We have great beatsticks in the form of True-Names already, not to mention anything equipped. One of the strengths of this deck I've found is being good vs Swords to Plowshares.
    I assume it is to outmuscle other decks or race more effectively. It does push us farther into needing more cantrips to set up Angler.

It gives you access to a one mana ground beater that's not decayable, boltable, holds down the ground against eldrazi and gofys- I'm using it as a 5th threat (would 100% just play a 5th tnn but obviously you can't.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Zirath View Post
    I assume it is to outmuscle other decks or race more effectively. It does push us farther into needing more cantrips to set up Angler.
    I suppose, but this deck is so good vs any other creatures decks already. Pushes us further into black too, I'm very skeptical.

It gives you access to a one mana ground beater that's not decayable, boltable, holds down the ground against eldrazi and gofys- I'm using it as a 5th threat (would 100% just play a 5th tnn but obviously you can't.
    Eldrazi's primary removal spell is Dismember, so isn't this not actually reliable? I've also never lost to Shardless (I can run away with tempo).

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

I've played with 2 of the 3 combination with BUG delver

1 tasigur
    1 Hooting
    1 gurmag.

People were always the most hesitant and would kill my hooting mandrils first before the other two. Tasigur being last.

Thread Information