Page 11 of 131 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Bant

Re: [DTW] Bant Aggro and Pro Bant

People need to stop underestimating Phyrexian Crusader. It's immune to swords and firespout and most black removal.

nice deck IMO he will be great in deadguy ale (W/B) cause it has equipments too. He is not not better than tarmogoyf but he is huge!!

Island, go!
    Jun 2009
    Golden Gate Bridge, USA
    Last edited by hyc8028; 02-07-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Jun 2009
    Germany

Hello, Iīm playing a Bant aggro list for the last few weeks with pretty good results (6th in a tournament with ~50 players and several times Top 4 in smaller tournaments). The list is as follows:

4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Trygon Predator

1 Umezawaīs Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Stifle
    4 Spell Snare
    4 Daze
    4 Swords to Plowshares

3 Tundra
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Flooded Strand
    4 Wasteland

SB
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Vendilion Clique
    1 Bojuka Bog
    3 Tormodīs Crypt
    3 Path to Exile (/3 Hydroblasts, depending on Meta)
    3 Krosan Grip

Although the decks runs fine, I would like improve my Merfolk matchup. Donīt get me wrong - I know that there is no way that Merfolk will become a good matchup as long as I am running blue and that a resolved Stoneforge Mystic often means GG; but i often had problems when i didnīt draw the right answer in time or just couldnīt resolve a relevant spell. So i was thinking - should I add Cold-Eyed Selkie (which was so-so in testing) or Llawan to the SB? And what to cut?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Seasinger is a good way to shore up some advantage, although it's pretty bad if they resolve Lord of Atlantis.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Dec 2010
    Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Snief View Post
    Hello, Iīm playing a Bant aggro list for the last few weeks with pretty good results (6th in a tournament with ~50 players and several times Top 4 in smaller tournaments). The list is as follows:

4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Tarmogoyf
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Trygon Predator

1 Umezawaīs Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Stifle
    4 Spell Snare
    4 Daze
    4 Swords to Plowshares

3 Tundra
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Flooded Strand
    4 Wasteland

SB
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Vendilion Clique
    1 Bojuka Bog
    3 Tormodīs Crypt
    3 Krosan Grip

Although the decks runs fine, I would like improve my Merfolk matchup. Donīt get me wrong - I know that there is no way that Merfolk will become a good matchup as long as I am running blue and that a resolved Stoneforge Mystic often means GG; but i often had problems when i didnīt draw the right answer in time or just couldnīt resolve a relevant spell. So i was thinking - should I add Cold-Eyed Selkie (which was so-so in testing) or Llawan to the SB? And what to cut?
    I like ths build. But I would cut 1 stifle and 1 spell snare to fit in 2 vendilion cliques or 2 jace, the mind sculptor. Sometimes in mid or late games, even in top deck modes, Jace TMS just wins you the game. Just my experience though.

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by hyc8028 View Post
    Anyone is trying Green Sun's Zenith in Bant Aggro?
    There's a thread going on here about GSZ.
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-%28GUW-GWB%29

In short, GSZ is the nuts in bant, especially with dryad arbor/natural order.

Anyone thinking about playing with Thrun the last Troll? I think itīs great against merfolk, because it cannot be countered. Itīs also a big body and can regenerate. Heīs good against countertop too. He is going to enter the battlefield and survives firespout. Against zoo, thereīs no way they can remove Thrun from the game. I was playing with two Elspeth and i am going to exchange for two Thrunīs.

(V) (;,,;) (V)
    Jul 2008
    Minneapolis, MN

I had it in the list but I decided that it wasn't strong enough to actually use it right now though. You'll have to let me know how it turns out in testing as I cut it before I got into to extensive of testing. At first it turned into an Elspeth but, now it's a Pridemage. I haven't added any of the new cards beyond testing.

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I don't like thrun because he's too small. He might be great vs countertop because he has shroud and can't be countered, but against zoo, 4 mana for a dude that's smaller than kotr/ goyf is pretty bad. Also elspeth is "big n splashy" by sending a giant flying kotr/goyf over your opponents dudes FTW. Elspeth is also awesome against control because a token every turn is insanely annoying and difficult to handle. I still prefer elspeth.

today i wanted to try progenitous in the local tournament only to see how much unprepared my meta is.
    my list:

4 Noble Hieararch
    3 Qasali Pridemage
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Rhox War Monk
    3 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 progenitous

4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    2 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares

3 natural order
    1 Engeneered explosives

3 Windswept Heath
    2 Flooded Strand
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Tundra
    1 Savannah
    1 Forest
    1 dryad

Sideboard:

1 Engeneered explosives
    3 path to exile
    1 Bojuka Bog
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    2 nature's claim
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 vendilion clique
    2 jace, mind sculptor

I forgot to add an empirial archangel in SB and i remebered one game late :P

1st game vs boros deck wins

a part type2 battlecry a part old-school white-weenie-shadow creatures, tarmogoyfs and rhox easily take the game around 5-6turn

SB: I didn't see a lot of spells so i removed 1fow, 1 daze,1 explosives for 3 paths

he SB out all his white creatures and now he is playing red deck wins I keep a slow hand with fetchlands and ponders-brainstorms and i drop to 1 life fast, rhox came in and with exalted efects (and a sword on my reliquary) i stabilize fast and win this

1/0

2nd game Vs R/w goblin

I thought he is playing zoo and i do not mull my no fow no sword hand and I am forced to block with my noble, 2 pridemages hold the line and kill a vial double daze and a fow for 2 ringleaders and seage gang make him scoop ( i fowed removing progenitous, i didn't see any knight, goyf or rhox. I acualy won with 2 noble hierarchs and 2 pridemages and a couple of swords)

+3 paths,-1 explosives,-1 clique,-1daze (was 2nd and it sucks)

keep semi-crap hand with noble+daze+fow my 8th card is progenitous.. he has vial 1st turn and i let it cause i have 2 pridemages, he miss his land drop and i daze his lackey next turn quasali takes his vial and for some turns we play draw-go and atack with my 2nd pridemage
    i get a brainstorm but i do not have a shuffle for progenitous neither NO so i keep it. A rhox joins in for the beat down while he has only 1 piledriver and 1 lackie I get him on 7 life while i am on 30something and i draw NO and with brainstorm i get progenitous in(only for the over kill :P )

2/0

3rd game Vs rock

I know his deck it is a copy/paste for a champion in MTGO, his weakness? only 12 creatures and 4 of them darck confidants
    I keep a mana-heavy hand cause i know that he has wastelands and vindicates but i have fow, NO and brainstorm. I get thoughtseized and he takes fow, I am expecting a hymn to turach so i do not drop noble hierarch to have brainstorm, he does have a hymn and i brainstorm keeping my have full of lands exept the noble hierarch (he picks him in random). next turn he plays a darck confidant thoughtseize my only nonland card (a fow) and i play NO sacking my fetched dryad for progenitous, he is at 11 life (by fetching and thoughtseizing) and bob reveals targmogoyf so he scoops

-NO package (+the land) for 2jace,+clique,+3 paths I am expetcking some king of hate so i put jace +extra body(clique)

I keep a 1 land hand with 2 nobles and 2 daze he wastes my land and swords my hierach... I do not draw a land for the turn and things look bad..
    I draw a savanah and i drop hierarch, again he has a sword and a wasteland. At this point i think everything got lost and i want to scoop..
    BUT the deck smiles on me and i draw my trusted tropical dazing his tarmo and brainstroming on more lands. next turn daze on tarmo #2 and sword on his bob make him go on top deck-mode with a SDtop as his only permanent. SDTop consumes his mana to draw every turn and i stabilize with a knight and a vclique. knight gets karakas and i filter his hand. then kill his elpeths while on 4 life and end the game with a huge (~15/15) knight

3/0 he was so frustrated that he droped the turnament (lol)

4rth game Vs rock

he is my team mate so we ID

3/1/0

5th game Vs ravager
    progenitous 3rd turn

SB:do not remeber but 100% +3 paths and +2 nature's claim

He starts hard but fow and daze keep him under control the protection from all colors met a 2nd fow and natures claim for his plating (he did had any creatures I play killed it for psycological reasons) tarmo and knight drop him to single digit life and brainstorm reveals a NO and i get progenitous for an overkill :P

4/1/0 undifeated 1st get some boosters and i open 2 tezzerets, 1 foil and one non foil nexus!! :D

pros:

progenitous is fun to play unless you draw him ( happened some times and i got depressed)
    very fast wins with progenitous reminds me back when i palyed Bant Survival and got 3rd turn Iona :P
    getting 1st AND opening 150$+ worth of cards!

Cons:

drawing progenitous after pondering him away..
    drawing progenitous after brainstorming him away
    play brainstorm and see 0 blue cards and pitch progenitous only to draw NO after some turns (I am thinking adding rafiq of the many for a 2nd target)

Legacy Staple
    May 2008
    Citizen of the world.

I'ts fucking Progenitus, not progenitous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    you just want us to do that because of your Silences, you sly dog.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Avatar of kicks_422's creation and property

Quote Originally Posted by Piceli89 View Post
    I'ts fucking Progenitus, not progenitous.
    and you meant It's and not I'ts, so what's the point ;-) ?

Quote Originally Posted by MWR View Post
    and you meant It's and not I'ts, so what's the point ;-) ?
    LOL! Nice.

Ohhhhhhh shit! It's onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    baghdadbob, you're Team Scrubbad's spirit animal.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Snief View Post

4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Tarmogoyf
    2 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Trygon Predator

1 Umezawaīs Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Stifle
    4 Spell Snare
    4 Daze
    4 Swords to Plowshares

3 Tundra
    3 Tropical Island
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Flooded Strand
    4 Wasteland

SB
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Vendilion Clique
    1 Bojuka Bog
    3 Tormodīs Crypt
    3 Krosan Grip

If Merfolk is played heavily in your meta try replacing KotR with RWM and dropping Stifles for 3-4 Vials will make it favorable. Vial makes sure Stoneforge resolves and RWM keeps you alive on exalted triggers. You do not need to drop an Island or replay it after Daze and Wastelands hit them in this mu stick to forest, plains, Savannah and Nobles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

(V) (;,,;) (V)
    Jul 2008
    Minneapolis, MN

Is there any alternate option to Path? I'd rather not advance my opponent any more than I have to.

Jan 2010
    Davis, CA

I'd think running a Trygon Predator as an alternate Natural Order target would be better. Maybe both it and Rafiq, even, but Trygon can be Ordered up when there's a bunch of annoying artifacts out that need to be taken care of... I dunno, it's just a thought.

am whipping up a list for a 20-30 man this weekend, probably lots of merfolk and CBtop in the meta. Was thinking about natural order/ show and tell but that seems poor in the expected meta so I put this together.

4 vial
    3 hierarch
    2 StP
    3 brainstorm

4 goyf
    4 pridemage
    2 stoneforge
    3 daze

4 RWM
    2 Clique
    1 SOFI
    1 SOLS

3 natural order
    2 Jace TMS

4 FoW
    1 progi

3 trop
    3 tundra
    1 plains
    1 island
    1 forest
    8 fetch, 4 MRF, 2 WSH, 2 FS

1 jitte
    2 StP
    2 sower
    2 llawan
    2 perimeter captain
    1 dueling grounds
    1 wheel of sun and moon
    1 tormods crypt
    1 relic of prog
    2 enlightened tutor

I havent tried the stoneforge package yet but it seems to get pretty good reviews on these boards and I thought it worth a try but still have not tested it much. The list is at 19 creatures and 19 blue spells so close to a good threshold for both vial and FoW. Any comments/ criticisms? One concern is 17 lands but it has been working now. Seems alright with 3 hierachs and vials. Anyone have experience testing land number in a deck like this.

(V) (;,,;) (V)
    Jul 2008
    Minneapolis, MN

I'd suggest Body and Mind with the Natural Order package. Extra Green Creature and can swing past green creatures.

Thread Information