Thread: [Report]NLS @ Gent.

[Report]NLS @ Gent.

Another Sunday, another… Wait a minute! This time the tournament is on a Saturday. There isn’t much to win for me as I already have a plane ticket and Bye’s but I’m sure that my teammates wouldn’t mind if I got another ticket for them. We head out on Friday, play some Standard which I dislike as I am playing Jund to have the JelleF test his deck. I pick up my Tabernacle for 119,90 and we head home.

The weather forecast claimed that there would be snow so we went by train instead of by car. Up early, get on the bus towards the train station and walk a bit from the bus stop to there. I get a text message from Jelle, saying that he feels ill and won’t be able to make it. Wim calls and asks if I can buy a ticket for him as he might be late. Turns out, with late he means that he’ll get there just in time for the train.

So we have to make a stop and hop on another train… 30 minutes later! Damn trains. We buy some food, wait for a while and arrive in Gent with 20 minutes to spare. I don’t really know the correct way, but I do know the way with a detour! So we take that for safety precautions. We arrive with plenty of time to spare. I hand the last cards to Wim and we enrol.

A total of 31 players showed up. One person short for allowing a double trip + Bye’s.
    I’m playing NLS, JelleF is running Goblins and Wim is playing his own deck which has turned into a 5color deck by now. I get seated down next to a person who I met during GP:Paris. I don’t know at that time but he is playing Belcher. He hints me by saying that it’s important for him that I don’t know what he plays. Obvious sign of an all in deck!

Round1:
    I’m paired against an unknown person. This usually is a good thing since he’s probably not into the entire legacy thing.

Game1:
    He plays a Ravnica dualland and my expectations are confirmed. It’s the White Black one, heck if I know the name. I have the kill in hand by turn2 but decide to wait to be safe in case he actually plays blue. He shows he doesn’t by playing Swamp into a Sinkhole. I just kill him the turn after. Well, he scoops in reaction to my Ill-Gotten Gains.

Game2:
    I keep a one land hand but have Mystical and Ponder. He opens with Dark Ritual into Hymn and takes both Mystical and Ponder. So I’m left with some mana effects, I’ll just draw what I need! He follows up his play on the next turn with Ritual into Sinkhole, destroying one of my 2 land. I draw and pass the turn. He plays his third Dark Ritual but it’s a Hypnotic Specter this time, could become troublesome. I draw like the champ I am and get the Infernal Tutor from my deck. So I go through IGG since he doesn’t have mana open for Extirpate. I’m a bit scared of Ravenous Trap, you never know with these guys but I don’t want to risk losing to my own Ad Nauseam. He doesn’t have it and I win within 10 minutes of round time.

1-0-0 (2-0-0)

JelleF lost. Don’t know about Wim but I’m pretty sure he lost. Both Stax decks lose but Jan, another NLS player loses his as well against Landstill. I see a player making notes of who’s playing what and check his paper. Plenty of Goblins, storm and a very limited amount of Counterbalance or blue in general. JelleF gets called to the judge station in between matches. Turns out he forgot to mention he plays mountains.

Round2:
    I’m paired against the guy I was seated next to! If only I can recall his name. My apologies that I can’t. By now I do know that he’s playing Belcher so I can keep that in mind.

Game1:
    I keep a hand with land, Ponder, Petal, Silence, LED, Infernal Tutor, SDT after winning the die roll with a magnificent 20!
    Land into Ponder shows me the turn2 win through Dark Ritual, Chrome Mox, Land. I play the Petal to have Silence up. He goes for Burning Wish into Empty the Warrens. I decline to Chant since Empty the Warrens does nothing but he messed up anyway and scoops up his cards.

Game2:
    He opens with Land Grant and I quickly notice that he can play the Charbelcher but can’t activate it this turn. So he does just that and has Chrome Mox + Petal in play.
    I draw for my turn, play Petal and SDT. I’m forced with a decision here, I can play Chant during his upkeep to stop sorcery speed mana such as LED, Land Grant and more but I won’t have a 100% kill next turn unless I draw the needed card. I can also gamble, hope he doesn’t draw a mana source and then win 100% through Doomsday. I go with the first, he draws and passes. I draw the Dark Ritual I needed! I play land, Double Ritual, Doomsday, Meditate, Petal, LED, LED, SDT. Use LED’s for RRRBBB and draw the Burning Wish for a lethal Tendrils.

2-0-0 (4-0-0)

JelleF got paired against Zoo, a horrible matchup and he had a game loss. He managed to win the first game but lost the second resulting in a loss in general. I think Wim won.

Round3:
    Paired against Pox!

Game1:
    I play some land and my artifact mana to protect it from discard. He tries to do some stuff with a 5 card hand but he just can’t. I win not much later.

Game2:
    He drops a turn2 Chalice for 1 which is annoying! I’m still at 19 though so I go for it with Ad Nauseam. Turns out that I’m at 3 only 9 cards later with no way to win. I stop anyway and pass the turn. He drops a Nantuko Shade. I draw my card for the turn but don’t find a way out. Off to game3!

Game3:
    I drop an SDT and some artifact mana. He applies damage with a Nantuko Shade after taking cards from my hand. The game comes down to the following. He has 3 Swamps and a Nantuko Shade and pumps him every time which shows me that he has nothing else relevant. I can go through Ad Nauseam right now with 4 mana floating at 10 life or pass the turn, let him draw a card, get hit down to 5 and win through Doomsday. But he showed me Extirpates during game2 after the game, saying he knocked those out with Chalice. So I go for Ad Nauseam. I manage to reveal Ill-Gotten Gains, Chrome Mox, SDT, Infernal Tutor. SO at 3 life I can flip. Every colored card except Doomsday, Meditate or Tendrils will win me the game through Chrome Mox imprinting that card, IGG for my Dark Ritual, LED and Infernal Tutor, play those and win. I flip!..... A Brainstorm. I do exactly what I described and win.

3-0-0 (6-1-0)

I don’t even know what the rest did.

Round4:
    There’s 4 players at 3-0-0. There’s only one player at 1-0-2 who can get the same points. Others can go for 4-1-0 but even then us 4 will be a lock. So we all draw.

3-0-1 (6-1-0)

Round5:
    Another draw.

3-0-2 (6-1-0)

I check around to scout for exact cards in top8. These are the top8 decks:
    UWB Landstill, Goblins, Goblins, Fearies, ANT, NLS, Belcher, Pox.

I’m paired against ANT and will have to play the Pox or Belcher player if I win, probably Belcher.

Quarters:

Game1:
    I keep a hand with Silence and some cantrips. He mulligans down to 5. I play some cantrips as does he. I go for it on turn 3. Silence? Resolves. Win through IGG loop.

Game2:
    He has a turn1 kill with Ad Nauseam. He flips Petal, Petal, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Tendrils and some more stuff. He can kill me with just that yet he keeps flipping cards. He does some more stuff, god knows why but kills me eventually.

Game3:
    I keep a double Chant hand. I get down an SDT as does he. At a certain point he taps down his white source and passes the turn. I see Infernal Tutor and LED on top along with 4 lands in play including a fetchland. I cast Chant, it resolves. I switch SDT, fetch and then notice I don’t have enough. Fail! He passes turn back, uses Mystical for Pact of Negation at the end of my turn. I have to cast the Chant during his upkeep, which resolves. I go for it during my turn but he does have a Chant.

Loss due to fail from my side. So I get a fetchland.

Belcher wins against ANT by epicness. ANT goes first and has Flooded Strand. Belcher goes off, plays belcher and activates. ANT fetches in response but sais ok with Angels Grace in hand! Belcher reveals 19 cards and a Bayou. Angels Grace gets cast… not really since it’s not possible anymore.

Finals are Landstill against Belcher. Landstill obviously wins.

We take the train home and have to wait 30 minutes before the train arrives. Then we have to wait 45 minutes when we have to switch trains. So home late and we do nothing for the rest of the evening.

Buttscratcher?
    Aug 2007
    Germany

Re: [Report]NLS @ Gent.

Nice report again, buddy. Thx for the input on NLS with Chants.
    Team Legal Actions. What else?

Check out my All-Commons Cube on MTGS.

Can you provide a decklist, please? Makes following along easier, plus it's what everyone comes to thse report for anyway :P

I also want to see Wim's 5color deck, if that is possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

Decklist is the same as last time:
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Flooded Strand
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Tundra
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Island
    4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Chrome Mox
    4 Dark Ritual
    2 Cabal Ritual
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Mystical Tutor
    2 Ponder
    3 Sensei’s Divining Top
    4 Orim’s Chant
    2 Silence
    3 Infernal Tutor
    2 Burning Wish
    1 Meditate
    1 Doomsday
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Ad Nauseam

Side:
    1 Deathmark
    1 Infernal Tutor
    1 Doomsday
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Chain of Vapor
    2 Echoing Truth
    1 Tropical Island
    2 Krosan Grip
    3 Xantid Swarm

I'll check for a decklist but don't know if I'll find it. It's along the lines of this:

4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Tundra
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Taiga
    3 Wasteland
    1 Academy Ruins
    2 Island

4 Force of Will
    4 Stifle
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Tarmogoyf
    1 Sower of Temptation
    2 Trinket Mage
    1 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    3 Counterbalance
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Firespout
    1 Crucible of Worlds

Side:
    1 Underground Sea
    4 Engineered Plague
    2 Krosan Grip
    1 Tyragon Predator
    3 Red Elemental Blast

Don't know what else. And yes that's 61 maindeck cards from him.

Thread Information