Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Deck]Boros

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

[Deck]Boros

Boros

What do you learn at school or university? A good paper or presentation starts with a quotation:

“Boros soldiers are like a cache of bombs ready to explode, and the flame-kin light their fuses.” Flame-Kin Zealot

Well… yes, however…Where are the Flame-Kins? On page four? I have spent some time to write about my favourite deck: Boros.

1. What is Boros?
    Boros is the red/white Ravnica guild that brings together the strength of fire with righteousness and loyalty… but enough fictional background. Boros obviously pairs the best burn-spells in the format with cheap and effective creatures. It is a “fair” deck which does not mean that Boros cannot be super-fast and win against all kinds of decks. I am using the term “Boros” in this primer because people are used to call this “Boros”, nevertheless a more accurate name would be “Boros Sligh” or “Boros Landfall Sligh”. Boros has been played by people for a long time but its Legacy results are more or less marginal. It is not so easy to find recent decklists from big events or vivid discussions about this topic. So, most of the time when I am going to give some information or discuss card-choices, it will be based on my personal experience with this deck. I have managed to win a local event with this deck (about 30 players), reaching several Top 8 results and a 6-3 (not that this is good) at the Legacy Grand Prix in Strasbourg without having byes. I don’t want to profile myself in any way. It is just a small proof that this deck can be pretty effective and strong.

2. Core
    How can we identify a deck? We look at the common core of cards it shares with other decks of the same type. Here are the core cards of Boros:
    4 Steppe Lynx (best turn 1 drop in the landfall variant)]
    4 Lightning Bolt (no need to explain)
    4 Chain Lightning (no need to explain)
    4 Goblin Guide (most aggressive red creature)
    4 Boros Charm (4 instant damage for 2 mana are too good)
    x Fireblast (classic burn-spell)
    x Price of Progress (too good in most matchups)
    x Grim Lavamancer (the tribal-killer)
    x Mountain (safest land in the deck)
    x Fetch-lands (impossible without)
    x Plateau (dual-land of choice)

This cards should be inserted into all Boros decks due to their raw power and efficiency. The use of Steppe Lynx with fetch-lands is simply too powerful to ignore. Starting with a Lynx is the most solid start this deck can make. Subsequently supporting the Lynx by burning the opponent’s creatures is the main strategy here. Steppe Lynx is the key card that transforms the deck from a burn variant into what can be called “Boros Landfall Sligh”.

3. Playable Cards/ Card-choices
    Creatures:
    Beside Lynx, Guide and Lavamancer there are several powerful creatures wanting to join the Boros deck but not all are finally good enough. I would like to give you an overview of possible card-choices here:
    Vexing Devil: Burn players discuss, if this card is worth running. I like the devil. He was always a good draw and both decisions the opponent can make are good for Boros.
    Figure of Destiny: A bit too slow for this deck but it can consume untapped mana.
    Plated Geopede: Same simple problem as with the Figure. Turn 3 is clearly not the turn for Boros’ first attack.
    Jötun Grunt: A cc2 creature that uses the graveyards to survive. Can shrink the Goyfs and weaken Deathrite Shamans.
    Keldon Marauders: A more aggressive Grunt which shoots 2 damage at the opponent’s head. Adding Marauders to the deck pushes it more towards pure burn.

There are some more creatures that can be played but are not so strong or more situational like the listed ones above: Ranger of Eos, Savannah Lions, Mirran Crusader, Kiln Fiend, Ash Zealot. At least each creature is playable that is cheap in its casting cost, establishes some pressure on the board and is capable to push through some damage.

Other Spells:
    Lightning Helix: Great against all aggro decks.
    Magma Jet: Sometimes not quite good enough to join in the team of burn-spells. Nevertheless Scry 2 can help in top deck situations.
    Sulfuric Vortex: Everyone is running around with their Stoneforge/Batterskulls packages nowadays. Vortex is also pretty helpful against decks with a massive control shell.
    Path to Exile: Solid removal-spell but unfortunately it deals 0 damage by itself.
    Rift Bolt: More burn.
    Searing Blaze: The Blaze can be brutal but it can be a dead card depending on the opponent’s deck.
    There are of course many more spells that can be played but most of them are obviously weaker than the ones mentioned above and in the core.
    Ghostly Prison: saw this card in the MB, rather a SB option I guess or metacall

4. Comparison to Burn and Zoo
    Boros is more or less a fusion of Burn and Zoo. In regard to my most recent Boros lists, Burn is its closer relative. We can look at the Boros deck from different angles, for example as a faster Zoo deck or a more creature heavy Burn(Sligh) variant. It links the strategy of Burn (throwing Lightning Bolts at the head of the opponent) and Zoo (playing efficient creatures and clearing the path) and is in my opinion the best choice now (when choosing from these three decks). Boros can switch easily from a Sligh strategy to a pure Burn one due to the high density of burn-spells.

5. SB
    Best of both worlds: Red and white offer some decent SB options. Just some few:
    Red Elemental Blast/Pyroblast: against blue based decks like Show and Tell variants, High Tide and almost decent to counter Jace
    Ethersworn Canonist/Pyrostatic Pillar: against all storm decks and stuff like elves
    Volcanic Fallout/Pyroclasm/(Flamebreak): Fallout and Pyroclasm are the superior burn sweepers, against tribal, elves and pretty solid vs. Maverick
    Oblivion Ring: this one is a sick answer to Show and Tell and can function as an additional permanent-removal in other MUs
    Pithing Needle: most flexible card in the SB, good against everything that uses activated abilities, although sometimes a simple burn-spell is better than topdecking a needle
    Disenchant/Smash to Smithereens/Shattering Spree/Wear//Tear: they all serve the same purpose: destroy some annoying permanents the opponent controls
    Relic of Progenitus/Tormod’s Crypt/Grafdigger’s Cage: graveyard-hate

Well, to sum this up: Everything is possible what can be supported by red, white, colourless or Phyrexian mana like Surgical Extraction and Phyrexian Revoker.
    We can learn new SB techs by watching at the SB developings of Burn and fast Zoo decks.

6. Decklist
    This is my recent decklist [11/06/2013]:

4 Steppe Lynx
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Vexing Devil
    3 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Boros Charm
    3 Fireblast
    2 Lightning Helix
    2 Price of Progress
    2 Sulfuric Vortex
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Arid Mesa
    2 Wooded Foothills
    2 Scalding Tarn
    1 Plains
    3 Plateau
    4 Mountain

7. Matchups
    This deck fights against most of the more popular and current decks pretty smooth. I won’t provide here in this section a lot of numbers/data or other stuff. I made some notes on the results of the ongoing Legacy league 2013 in my area:
    Wins: TES 2-0, High Tide 2-0, Goblins 2-1, Jund 2-1, Jund 2-0, Junk 2-1 Elves 2-1, Omnitell 2-0, Delver Burn 2-0, Jund 2-0, Esperblade 2-0, Esperblade 2-0, BUG 2-1
    Loss: RUG 0-2, Esperblade 0-2, SneakShow 1-2, RUG 1-2, Elves 0-2
    Looks pretty random and isn’t very much to comment on. In addition, I am not a huge fan of giving some percentages also due to the low level of present data. I hope that a discussion emerges especially in regard to this section since I haven't been sure about certain MUs. What can be said is that Boros weakness is obviously fast combo decks, nevertheless it can outrace some slower ones.

For reference, you can find the old Boros deck thread here.
    Last edited by CabalTherapy; 06-14-2013 at 11:14 AM.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Re: Boros

I really like this deck, I think it has great potential !!...

would be great not having the same problem as the burn: "nice card, but better would be a lightning bolt"
    perhaps can be fixed increasing slightly the curve with stuff like Ajani, Caller of the Pride, and maindeck 2cmc drops... anyway I liked your list and I'll test it

(google spanglish)

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

To me this just looks like burn with a white flare, not really a new standalone deck.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

You should check this thread out:

Boros Deck Wins
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

I think the heavy landfall element of this approach makes it more unique than vs standard burn or just zoo skimping on the goyfs. It has some potential of its own.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post

Boros Deck Wins
    Yeah I think it has been addressed before as I do seem to remember reading about this deck recently. But he did start a nice little primer for this varient. Guess it is up to the Boros followers to decide to merge them or not.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    To me this just looks like burn with a white flare, not really a new standalone deck.
    Of course, they have a lot in common but nonetheless there are differences that justify an independent thread.
    simply:
    Burn = Burn
    Boros = Sligh using Landfall trigger and a better SB

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post

Boros Deck Wins
    Yes, well, I had the permission to open up a new thread. The old one will be closed and linked into this one.
    WantToPonder
    Team MTG Berlin

Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Re: [Deck]Boros

CabalTherapy had permission to create a new thread for an updated version of this deck. I've edited his opening post to include a link to the old thread, which is now closed. Thanks.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

I've always liked Boros or Burn in general. But I have a proposition that could easily help strengthen your combo matchups. Have you considered splashing for blue? It gives you mainly

Brainstorm
    Ponder
    Delver of Secrets

Which will only strengthen probably all your matchups preboard. Then your sideboard could be just stacked with combo hate and counterspells. It seems to me there is no reason to not just play RUW.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    I've always liked Boros or Burn in general. But I have a proposition that could easily help strengthen your combo matchups. Have you considered splashing for blue? It gives you mainly

Brainstorm
    Ponder
    Delver of Secrets

Which will only strengthen probably all your matchups preboard. Then your sideboard could be just stacked with combo hate and counterspells. It seems to me there is no reason to not just play RUW.
    Yes, there is. WUR makes for a much weaker manabase, which isn't made up for by the inclusion of the cards you mentioned. You cannot afford to waste turns essentially durdling if you whiff on Delver transforming, and even though BS is an awesome card, it does not fit in a "hard" aggro shell. That turn spent on BS can be used to lay a critter and punch through damage, through Bolt, Lynx or Guide.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

We have a blue sligh thread already.
    For reference my latest Boros Sligh list:

4 Steppe Lynx
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Vexing Devil
    3 Grim Lavamancer /15

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    2 Forked Bolt
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Boros Charm
    3 Price of Progress
    4 Fireblast /15

4 Plateau
    2 Mountain
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Undiscovered Paradise /20

Side:
    3 Sulfuric Vortex
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Oblivion Ring
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Tormod's Crypt /15

It's not fully tuned, but it runs fine I think.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post

Brainstorm
    Ponder
    Delver of Secrets

I have tested a RUw list with Lynx, Guide, Delver and Lavamancer/Snapcaster (some lists can be found here: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ght=blue+sligh) and it actually was weaker than Boros due to less burn-spells which are superior in this kind of strategy to some cantrips. I felt that playing a Ponder/Brainstorm and searching for some business is slower and less effective than running more "Bolt".

Combo hate is so diverse that you don't have to play some counter (a good player wins against random counter). Canonist, Mindbreak Trap, Oblivion Ring, PNeedle and many others are also decent choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    We have a blue sligh thread already.
    For reference my latest Boros Sligh list:

4 Steppe Lynx
    4 Goblin Guide
    4 Vexing Devil
    3 Grim Lavamancer /15

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    2 Forked Bolt
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Boros Charm
    3 Price of Progress
    4 Fireblast /15

4 Plateau
    2 Mountain
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Undiscovered Paradise /20

Side:
    3 Sulfuric Vortex
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Oblivion Ring
    3 Ethersworn Canonist
    3 Tormod's Crypt /15

It's not fully tuned, but it runs fine I think.
    Looks pretty good, although I haven't got experience with U. Paradise (except in Dredge). Not sure if it is better than simply a Mountain.
    WantToPonder
    Team MTG Berlin

The Dragonstorm

Apr 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by CabalTherapy View Post
    Combo hate is so diverse that you don't have to play some counter (a good player wins against random counter). Canonist, Mindbreak Trap, Oblivion Ring, PNeedle and many others are also decent choices.
    I 100% agree with this. As someone who has played with his favorite, red deck (Vial Goblins, in case that wasn't obvious) for the last 6-7 years I have been thinking about and discussing the issue of effective storm-combo hate back and forth. Experienced storm-combo players can fight themselves through a package of (1) countermagic, (2) hand disruption and (3) a fast/medium clock (Esperblade, Team America), so there is no point in splashing blue to squeeze in Flusterstorm and the like.
    CabalTherapy pretty much summed up the available (storm-)combohate for this deck. Leyline of Sanctity, Orim's Chant andSilence also are viable options (vs. Stormcombo at least).
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

I've been on this deck for a while now, and I have found the boros charms to be to situational. They may be playable, but I think the success is coming from the steppe lynx and that the deck is just good for the current meta. I've been playing a list that is pretty much like the old boros wins with keldon marauders, couple vexing devils, and a little different s/b. I have been playing it on magic online, magic league, and tournaments with quite a bit of success. I will post a deck list late for comparison purposes and card discussion.

Here's my version:

// Lands
    4 [ZEN] Arid Mesa
    4 [ON] Wooded Foothills
    2 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
    4 [R] Plateau
    1 [SHM] Plains
    5 [AVR] Mountain

// Creatures
    4 [TO] Grim Lavamancer
    4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide
    4 [ROE] Kiln Fiend
    4 [ZEN] Steppe Lynx
    1 [AVR] Vexing Devil
    1 [EVE] Figure of Destiny
    1 [PLC] Keldon Marauders

// Spells
    4 [VI] Fireblast
    4 [R] Lightning Bolt
    4 [LG] Chain Lightning
    3 [CFX] Path to Exile
    2 [TSP] Rift Bolt
    4 [GTC] Boros Charm

// Sideboard
    SB: 3 [EX] Price of Progress
    SB: 4 [SHM] Smash to Smithereens
    SB: 4 [RTR] Rest in Peace
    SB: 4 [GTC] Skullcrack

The one card I play that is not mentioned in the primer is Kiln Fiend. If unmolested, it consistently enables a turn three kill. It's certainly worth testing and deserves mention in the "other playable creatures" category. Another creature worth considering is Ash Zealot. I tested it and found it to be OK, but a bit underwhelming given the other creature choices.
    I see more than others do because I know where to look.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I have added Kiln Fiend and Ash Zealot to the starting post because as you said they are solid choices I have forgotten to mention.

I am preparing for tomorrow's Legacy, expecting a diverse meta.
    My SB looks like this right now:

2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Pyroblast
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Oblivion Ring
    4 Surgical Extraction
    2 Volcanic Fallout
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Pyrostatic Pillar
    WantToPonder
    Team MTG Berlin

The Dragonstorm

Aug 2007
    Germany

Hi, this is my current list. I'm new to this deck and want to play my first tournament tomorrow.

4 Mountain
    1 Plains
    3 Plateau
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Arid Mesa
    2 Wooded Foothills
    2 Bloodstained Mire

4 Goblin Guide
    4 Vexing Devil
    4 Steppe Lynx
    3 Grim Lavamancer

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Rift Bolt
    3 Boros Charm
    2 Price of Progress
    2 Lightning Helix
    2 Fireblast
    2 Forked Bolt

I'm still thinking what 2 cards i should add. Atm this are 58 cards mainboard.

What is your Grave hate to go? I thought of Rest in Peace but i feared it could be too slow against certain deck types like reanimator or TinFins.

Last question: What are your first targets to board out in g2/g3? What are the weakest mainboard cards? I thought of G-Guide, Lightning Helix or sometimes the Prices?

Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    What is your Grave hate to go? I thought of Rest in Peace but i feared it could be too slow against certain deck types like reanimator or TinFins.
    Thank you for your help.
    I like Rest in Peace because it nukes Tarmogoyf, Deathrite shaman, Knight of the Reliquary to some extent, until they deal with it, even when they do goyf is a 2/3 (RiP and whatever killed it) knight is a 2/2 and Deathrite doesn't do anything.
    In Red white your Tin Fin matchup and Reanimator match up will never be stellar unfortunately.

Aug 2007
    Germany

Do you board out lavamancer for RiP?

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Played a mediocre tournament today losing against BURG 1-2 and Esperdeathblade 0-2, winning against BURG 2-0 and SneakShow 2-1 and drawing against a friend.

@Jules:
    Good luck.
    Sulfuric Vortex is pretty decent choice but you may also consider playing Magma Jet or Path to Exile.

I am currently running 4 Surgical Extractions because there are a lot of TinFins, oops all spell decks in my meta and the Extraction is the fastest hate against these decks.
    WantToPonder
    Team MTG Berlin

The Dragonstorm

Thread Information