Thread: Are Unhinged/Unglued cards legal in EDH? They should be!

Are Unhinged/Unglued cards legal in EDH? They should be!

EDH is all about having fun right? And Unglued/Unhinged cards are designed precisely for this purpose.

I can't recall any Unglued/Unhinged cards that are actually overpowered, atleast not to the same extent that perfectly legal EDH cards like Ancestral Recall, Time Walk and Yawgmoth's Will are. Wizards always did a surprisingly good job of ensuring that none of the Unglued/Unhinged cards are actually broken.

Me and my friends have had countless laughs off of Cheatyface for example...

Would I like to play that card as a one of in a blue EDH deck. Hell yeah! Would it be fair if I successfully managed to sneak it into play, maybe not, though a vanilla 2/2 flyer doesn't exactly scream broken. But would it be hilarious and make for good times. I don't see how it wouldn't. Individual problematic cards in those sets could always be banned, in the same way other problematic EDH cards are.

Where do fellow EDH players fall on this question. It seems that the official EDH rules site has yet to take a formal decision on these cards.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Re: Are Unhinged/Unglued cards legal in EDH? They should be!

Stop that! Gotcha! Stop that! Gotcha! Stop that!

Can get really annoying after the 1st time.

I've had a lot of success with Rare-B-Gone, World Bottling Kit, both Infernal Spawn of Evils, and Yet Another AEther Vortex. The Vortex is a favorite amongst the people I play with. Your experience may vary and obviously some things from silver-bordered land are fun precisely once, while others are always a blast (seriously, I fucking love the Vortex). You just have to try it and see what works for the people you play with.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Being a 1C 2/1 with an ability isn't enough to make a card good by default. Elvish Archer is to First Striking as Dark Confidant is to card draw, and Nezumi Graverobber is to robbing graves as Tarmogoyf is to being much much better than a 2/1, but what the fuck does that even mean?

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

The official site, as I recall, stated that they are banned because the format includes only Vintage-legal, tournament legal cards with the caveat of their own banned list (the Ancestral that you mentioned, for instance, is banned per the official list, as is Walk.)

I personally would think it's probably rather annoying. I suffered through Un drafts for the lands, and even then I only did it a scarce handful of times and just bought the rest because They were simply that bleh..
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Dis iz da WAAAGH!
    Jan 2007
    Chicagoland

On a related note: I've started playing with Chaos Orb, and everyone has loved it. The card is powerful; I nuked Oona, Skull Clamp, and Crypt Angel first time I connected with it. But that was after I had wiffed twice. However it is loads of fun. For most people in the room it was the first time they had ever seen a Orb get flipped in a game.

Just pick Silver-bordered cards that don't cause rules confusion, and are fun. Season's Beatings and Incoming! are probably ok. Ambiguity might not be so welcome.
    DCI Lvl II Judge

Awesome Member
    Jan 2008
    Brookline, MA

Yeah, as long as the game is casual and you don't pack an excessively annoying silver bordered card I don't think anyone will complain. Hell, Richard Garfield,Ph.D. seems like a pretty badass and fun general.
    awesome

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

No one cares about most of them, but there are a few that are just plain overpowered so watch which ones people use. It's typically up to your group on whether or not you can use them. As far as the official rules go, they are banned though.

I use Gifts Given in one of mine and no one cares, but I bet they would care about some of them. I remember the yes / No question one has a broken phrase that can with it for an auto win.

They are fun. No one really cares that you use them most of the time. I used Timmy, Power Gamer for my general at one point and had a blast! It was never particularly broken.

Jan 2009
    c'ville, va

I'd say, clear it with your playgroup first, and use common sense. I don't think anybody is gonna get to bent out of shape over, say, Elvish House Party, but Incoming! is the kind of stupidity that I would not find particularly fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
    I've had a lot of success with Rare-B-Gone, World Bottling Kit, both Infernal Spawn of Evils, and Yet Another AEther Vortex.
    LMAO, the Vortex sounds hilarious. All those cards do.

What other Un cards do people play with?

Thanks for the helpful advise everyone. I'll be sure to spring in a few fun (nonbroken, nonconfusing) Un cards into my group and see how they react.

Thread Information