Thread: [EDH] Reaper King

[EDH] Reaper King

First EDH deck I wanted to build. I've finally got it together, and it's a blast to play. Some five color goodstuff and regrowths. The deck is based on a few ideas:

1) Fetchland synergy with Rings of Brighthearth and Crucible of Worlds is insane. I want to set one of these up as quickly as possible.

2) Fill the deck with bombs and recursion; if the best spells are good once, they're better twice.

3) By the time you make bomby plays, it should be too late for other players to stop you.

4) Run as many card advantage engines as possible; General synergies are awesome if they don't take up too many slots.

General: Reaper King

Land
    10 Fetchlands
    10 Shocklands
    10 Dual Lands
    1 Reflecting Pool
    1 Strip Mine
    1 Krosan Verge
    1 Reliquary Tower
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    1 Cephalid Coliseum
    1 Nomad Stadium

Oblivion Ring
    Swords to Plowshares
    Path to Exile
    Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    Academy Rector
    Idyllic Tutor
    Enlightened Tutor

Fabricate
    Allied Strategies
    Opportunity
    Fact or Fiction
    Future Sight
    Bringer of the Blue Dawn
    Cryptic Command
    Time Stretch
    Tezzeret, the Seeker

Demonic Tutor
    Vampiric Tutor
    Bringer of the Black Dawn
    Conspiracy
    Decree of Pain
    Liliana Vess
    Damnation

Recoup
    Wheel of Fortune

Prismatic Omen
    Regrowth
    Doubling Season
    Eternal Witness
    Bringer of the Green Dawn
    All Suns' Dawn
    Reap and Sow
    Azusa, Lost but Seeking
    Restock
    Oracle of Mul Daya
    Seedguide Ash
    Shard Convergence

Rings of Brighthearth
    Crucible of Worlds
    Legacy Weapon
    Etched Oracle
    Sensei's Divining Top
    Mox Diamond

Mirari's Wake
    Progenitus
    Nicol Bolas Planeswalker
    Last Stand
    Putrefy
    Pernicious Deed
    Spitting Image
    Oona, Queen of the Fae
    Debtor's Knell
    Terminate
    Maelstrom Nexus
    Maelstrom Pulse
    Reborn Hope
    Conflux
    Angel of Despair
    Mortify
    Wargate
    Vindicate
    Vengful Rebirth
    Maelstrom Archangel

So there are a ton of ways to dump lands into play as quickly as possible, between Oracle, Azusa, Crucible, etc. The amount of deck thinning that you do in a game is actually incredibly relevant most of the time; I've emptied the deck of fetchable lands in the games I've played so far. I should probably fit Life from the Loam into here for more synergy with the fetchlands, especially because of how much recursion there is in the deck; but I think it's alright for now.

Once you start casting bombs, your spells are, on average, so much better than everyone else's that you can just start to dominate a game. IF you ever manage to untap after casting Conflux, you should win the game on the spot.

There are a few cards I really want to fit into the deck, but I'm not sure what to cut. You need most of the tutors to set up your land engine, and you need a lot of answers to make sure you can stay in the game long enough to start casting bombs. The only things I can see cutting are the Reaper King Synergies, but those have been awesome when they come up. Last Stand suddenly reads "destroy target permanent for each forest you control," Elspeth becomes broken, etc, etc.

Here are some things I'd like to add:

Mirari
    Cruel Ultimatum
    Naya Charm
    Bant Charm
    Nucklavee
    Mystical Tutor

Let me know what you think, suggestions and comments are more than welcome.
    Last edited by 94teen; 01-06-2010 at 11:24 PM.

Steve Carpenter's my friend.
    Feb 2009
    Poughkeepsie, Ny.

Re: [EDH] Reaper King

Whenever another Scarecrow enters the battlefield under your control, destroy target permanent.

That's the reason for Conspiracy. that's why I'm hesitant to try to abuse that. You're dependent on one card to make the rest of them good. Otherwise, Reaper King is just a 6/6 for 5. Artificial Evolution provides some redundancy, but it's so narrow and makes Reaper King get targeted by the next removal spell regardless of board position.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Scarecrone is a huge bomb if you get the general and another scarecrow to recur. Another decklist that I've seen powers out the general and then plays a bunch of cheap scarecrows for the vindicate. Another fun card is Favor the Mighty. If you don't want to use the scarecrow synergy, you could try using any other five color general that might have a bigger impact on the game.

Chameleon Colossus is large, has some sort of evasion and protection, and is a scarecrow.

Thread Information