Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] GW Survival

Re: GW Survival

Tajuru Preserver 1G
    Creature - Elf Shaman
    Spells and abilities your opponents control can't cause you to sacrifice permanents.

From ROE. Could this have any applications outside the T-21 MU?

Jan 2010
    Germany

Hey guys! Finally, after six weeks of not playing Legacy I managed to play another tournament, namely our "monthly Haßloch". This time the tournament was held as a trial for Bazaar of Moxen, also (which takes place May 13-16th in Annecy, France - if you havenīt heard yet).
    48 Players attended to play for prizes and byes, resulting in 6 rounds of Swiss + T8 playoffs.

I played this list:

// Mana
    4 [u] Savannah
    4 [ON] Windswept Heath
    2 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
    1 [LG] Karakas
    4 [7E] Forest
    1 [MI] Plains
    3 [TE] Wasteland
    1 [FUT] Horizon Canopy
    1 [US] Gaeaīs Cradle
    1 [JP] Maze of Ith

// Creatures
    4 [CFX] Noble Hierarch
    4 [FNM] Mother of Runes
    4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
    2 [ARB] Qasali Pridemage
    4 [CFX] Knight of the Reliquary
    4 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
    1 [FD] Eternal Witness
    1 [LRW] Gaddock Teeg
    1 [PRO] Spore Frog
    1 [JDM] Genesis
    1 [MM] Squee, Goblin Nabob
    1 [ZEN] Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 [P3] Loyal Retainers

Removal and Engine
    4 [u] Swords to Plowshares
    4 [EX] Survival of the Fittest
    2 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte

// Sideboard
    SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
    SB: 2 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 3 [LRW] Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 2 [SHM] Vexing Shusher
    SB: 1 [WW] Bojuka Bog
    SB: 2 [ALA] Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 1 [JP] Maze of Ith
    SB: 1 [SHM] Faerie Macabre

Compared to the list I played in Madrid, I only changed MB: -1 Quiriron Ranger +1 Maze of Ith and SB -1 Pridemage, +1 Maze of Ith. As I said I tinkered around with Stoneforge Mystic as well for some time but came to the conclusion that itīs just too clunky for this deck. I like the card very much, but in here it just doesnīt fit well enough to make room for it imo.

Anyway, here are todayīs results:

Round 1: White Weenie 1-1
    Round 2: Survival Elves feat. NoPro 2-0
    Round 3: ANT 2-1 (Yeah!) :D
    Round 4: Bant Aggro 2-0
    Round 5: Tempo Thresh 1-2
    Round 6: RW Walker.dec 2-0

I come in as 5th place after swiss.

Top 8: 4c-Counter Top (Nassifīs list) 2-0
    Top 4: GWB Rock 2-1
    Finals: Tempo Thresh 0-2

So I finish 2nd place which means picking a minty Natural Order and one bye for Annecy. :D
    As you see my only losses were against TT (I played the same guy twice) which was quite disappointing in a way. I always considered that matchup to be clearly positive but after today Iīm not so sure anymore. I mean, he played the deck really well and also drew what he needed both games while I drew stuff like Squee and Genesis or a bunch of lands... ;P but nevertheless Iīm not so sure about this anymore.
    My highlight of the day was clearly against ANT in game 2 where I had Gaddock Teeg backed up by TRIPLE Mother of Runes in play! ;))) Yeah, that was nice indeed! ^^

Hope to see you all in Annecy!

From my experience TT is positive, I was suprised to see you lose twice to it. Do you have anymore details? I guess there has to be manascrew involved?

Too bad I have to put this deck aside for a while, cause the meta changed and now is about one third combo (ANT and Belcher).

pussy head man from outer space
    Mar 2006

Compared to the list I played in Madrid, I only changed MB: -1 Quiriron Ranger +1 Maze of Ith and SB -1 Pridemage, +1 Maze of Ith. As I said I tinkered around with Stoneforge Mystic as well for some time but came to the conclusion that itīs just too clunky for this deck. I like the card very much, but in here it just doesnīt fit well enough to make room for it imo.
    dito.

(Fabian Knabe finished 5th at the monthly Legacy tourney in Iserlohn with my list, btw. he won 2 out of 3 Combo MUs 2-0. ;)

Jan 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp2293 View Post
    From my experience TT is positive, I was suprised to see you lose twice to it. Do you have anymore details? I guess there has to be manascrew involved?
    Manascrew was only an issue during one game, actually (out of the five we played). It was just that no matter what I played, he ALWAYS had the right answer for it. I canīt even remember getting MoR active a single time.... :/ One game, he FoWed two MoR during my first two turns and despite those 2 for 1 trades I still couldnīt win. I guess here came just everything together at once: he played very well and drew like a god. Also, he won the dice roll BOTH matches... :/

@Valdez: Nice to see someone else beating the ass out of combo with this deck! ;D

Anyone still has recent developments on this deck? Could maybe Vengevine be considered?

Aug 2008
    Germany

Hi to everyone in this thread !!!

Until yet i played Bant Survival, but in the last weeks i meet a lot of meerfolk and aggro decks, but not much combo, so i thought of trying this variant.
    Is Anyone playing or testing this atm or isn't it good anymore ?
    Last edited by jeanbathez; 05-17-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Hi there!

I'm still playing GW Survival (just not much lately). If you don't face lots of combo this deck is a solid choice. Do you already have a list in mind?

Aug 2008
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp2293 View Post
    Do you already have a list in mind?
    Hmm, comeing from bant survival something like this :

4 Savannah
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Forest
    1 Plains
    3 Misty Rainforest
    4 Wasteland
    4 Horizon Canopy

4 Mother of Runes
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Qasali Pridemage
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Kitchen Finks
    1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Loyal Retainers

4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Survival of the Fittest
    3 Umezawa's Jitte

I'am not sure if i should include ET in the main, cutting 1 Jitte and 1 Finks f.e..
    Also i think the gameplan with this deck is much more aggro than bant survival or GWB Survival..., i think will miss Top or Brainstorm when digging for survival or answers without survival...

Your list looks pretty good IMO. I run pretty much the same but -1 Wasteland -1 Kitchen Finks + 2 Scryb Ranger. If you want to run ET, I'd probably cut the Finks.

You're right, this deck is more aggro, often it just plays as GW Aggro with the possibility to land a Survival.

Jan 2010
    Germany

Iīm just back from Annecy and want to post results shortly. Almost 500 players attended to play 9 Rounds of swiss + Top 16. I finished 6-2-1, resulting in a 45th place, making it into the pricecut. ;))

I changed no card in my mainboard (see above for decklist) but decided to cut Tormodīs Crypt + Maze from my sideboard in favour to 3x Faerie Macabre + 2x Bojuka Bog, which was an excellent call in Annecyīs Meta (there were TONS! of Reanimator decks). I really like the fact, that I can "fetch" both of these either with Survival or KotR which adds a lot of persistancy to those MatchUps which are strongly dependend on their GY.

Did anybody else who posts here, play in Annecy? How was it going for you?

Congratz on the result! How many reanimator decks did you face? From my experience this is a really hard MU. Did you also manage to dodge Combo all day?

Sep 2007
    MN

Hey venice, I was playing some post board games vs. reanimator yesterday. Which route did you end up taking:

A) Leave Iona + retainers in
    B) Board out retainers, leave in Iona
    C) Board out Iona and retainers

I think B or C might be correct. It is tough to say which is better between having the Iona in the deck and being able to get it if they show and tell or throw it in the yard to screw up their exhume. Or simply have another slot to bring in your board.

I feel like leaving in retainers and iona is too dead as white gets shut off and they will have answers in 1 or 2 colors.
    Also, I found it was much easier to win if I could exile both copies of the reanimators Iona, and giving them access to steal mine from my yard might be more trouble than its worth. Once both Iona's are gone they have to try to race you with shrouded inkwells or archangels (if they are still in) or be open to getting their creatures sworded.

Jan 2010
    Germany

@phil: Thanks! I faced two Reanimator in the main event on Saturday and played another two in a last chance Trial on Friday. My friend played Reanimator as well so I really tested the MatchUp a lot. I find it not that hard to be honest, even favourable postboard Iīd say. Having Maze and Karakas available is really HUGE against them. Thus, a resolved KotR normally wins, as does Survival (Frog+Genesis). Post board three Faerie Macabre are just insanely good. And the good thing is with four KotR Show and Tell can really backfire on them. I remember one game where it actually happened that my opponent played Show and Tell bringing Iona into play while I chose KotR. In my turn I activated KotR to fetch Karakas and he was like WTF??? ;))))
    The only "scary" creature might be Inkwell. But without Islands and big dudes in play (or Frog) he can also be handled quite well. Archangel is too slow in most cases or will just cause a stall. And Sphinx/ Archon can be Sworded or Mazed.
    I think in this figuration which I play atm the deck has really good chances to beat Reanimator very well.

@conboy: I usually leave both of them in, just for the reason of flexibility. Against Reanimator I board like this: -4 Finks, -1 Pridemage, -1 Gaddock, +3 Faerie, +2 Bojuka, +1 Vexing Shusher

Sep 2007
    MN

Your karakas and maze really pushes some win % vs. reanimator that my version does not have and I am probably going to add one or both of them to my list. They have been on my radar and the meta is pushing their relevancy hard.
    Another thing I noticed in testing that actually came up twice was that they tried to exhume Iona, I ate it with Macbre, then brought him back to play via exhume. In the meantime while they worked on getting an Iona in play I was able to resolve a jitte. Then they got Iona in play, I equiped a jitte to noble and ran it into iona. A macabre with a jitte + 2 counters kills Iona in combat. This scenario leaves them in a precarious situation.

Edit - Venice you often have had the genesis + frog engine main. How relevant have you found it g1/the frogs fogs buying you a turn to set up or swing fatal? The issue I have with it is that it could be 2 dead cards game one. Though, it could be a blowout g1 if they cant interact with your yard and frog can dodge exile removal.
    But if they both are in your sideboard, bringing them in increases the opponents grave yard hates power.
    As it is, I have both in my SB instead of maindeck and will sometimes bring them in trying to get strong value out of frog when they could swing fatal, etc.

Jan 2010
    Germany

I really like Genesis+Frog in my maindeck. Of course there are games where you donīt really need them but I think there are more situations where they really shine. Besides ANT I guess there are very few other MatchUps where I would board them out. At worst, you can throw them into Survival and get something else.

One thing I forgot to mention: I had a really ridicolous game against ANT where I had to mulligan to 4(!) and still won the game...

Sep 2007
    MN

Quote Originally Posted by venice View Post
    I really like Genesis+Frog in my maindeck. Of course there are games where you donīt really need them but I think there are more situations where they really shine. Besides ANT I guess there are very few other MatchUps where I would board them out. At worst, you can throw them into Survival and get something else.

One thing I forgot to mention: I had a really ridicolous game against ANT where I had to mulligan to 4(!) and still won the game...
    That Ant game must have been awesome. T1 mother T2 cannonist/Mr. Teeg?
    I played about a half dozen games again today vs. reanimator, 2 pre and like 6 post board. The Macabre eating Iona plus equiping it to jitte came up at least two more times out of the 6ish post board. Winning both times.
    I also went ahead and added the main deck Karakas. I am pretty sure that is the correct call at the moment. I am on the fence with Maze and Gcradle but will probably try them out fairly soon.

Instead of 3 macabres + 0 crypts, a 2 - 1 split might end up being stronger as going all in on the macabres amplifies reanimators pithing needles. However, if you are able to win game one, the trip macabres might simply blow them out g2. Whereas they would have a much better idea going into a potential g3.

Quote Originally Posted by conboy31 View Post
    That Ant game must have been awesome. T1 mother T2 cannonist/Mr. Teeg?
    As I've sadly found out, this does not help against a boarded virtues ruin. :(

Jan 2010
    Germany

I played another tournament yesterday. 91 players, 7 rounds. I missed Top8 only by an inch going into the last round with an 4-0-2 record, but lost very unlucky: although my opponent was a nice guy to play with, he did things like casting two Vendilion Cliques or attack, then play Retainer, then try to sac it... and more stupid stuff like that..... but unfortunately he got his Survi online first and I didnīt draw one of my 11 outs before he finished me (he was on 2 life). Game two I mulled two five and had to keep a mediocre hand...while he got early pressure I just couldnīt cope with. That was quite sad seeing my opponent making such big play mistakes but still winning the game.... but I guess thatīs part of magic...sometimes luck just beats skill no matter what...
    So finally I ended up in 16th place which still earned me a foil Dark Confidant+ foil Stoneforge Mystic which isnīt that bad either so it made up a bit for loosing that last round.

I played against:

Reanimator 2-0
    Dreadstill URb 1-1
    Tempo Thresh 2-0
    4c Control 2-1
    UGW Faeries 1-1
    Merfolk MonoU 2-1
    Bant Survival 0-2

My maindeck was the same as "always" (see above). As far as sideboarding goes, I tried a new tech in adding three Perimeter Captain to the board. And although I didnīt face Zoo all day long (sadly, because these guys just CRUSH Zoo decks), they won me a game vs. Merfolk I would have lost if I hadnīt played them. For now, I would also consider them against TT since they can really buy a lot of time and are so easy to cast. I really like the card!

Also, I met "Rigero" from TheSource (he also played GW-Survival). And it was really nice to meet people you only know from the internet in real life and see whose behind the nickname. :D

Folk Punk Pirate
    Oct 2007
    Mannheim, Germany

Played the same event, finished 5/1/1 but had an abysmal opp-score so I got 9th... Fuck my life!
    Nevertheless awesome deck. Report incoming as soon as I get around writing it.
    Sneaky Pirates of Doom - Not really a Legacy Team anymore.

Thread Information