Thread: Rise & Fall in Hanau, 38th Place with Dredge

explosive
    Feb 2006
    Germany - RLP

Rise & Fall in Hanau, 38th Place with Dredge

So finally this is my report from Hanau.

A few days before Hanau, I was thinking whether to play Dredge or Dreadstill, both decks have been quite solid on me so far.
    However, Fabian always wanted to play Dreadstill and asked me whether he can have it. Some days later he told me that I have to give it to him because he lend his Aggroloam to someone else and therefore would not have a deck to play if I don't give him the Dreadstill. I tell him to suck dick but still gave it to him because I'm social.

I ended up playing Dredge. I know how to play it and with Parcher's 75 and SB plan, nothing can go wrong.

Just in case no one knows the list:

// Lands
    3 [AN] City of Brass
    4 [WL] Gemstone Mine
    4 [OD] Cephalid Coliseum

// Creatures
    3 [RAV] Golgari Thug
    4 [TO] Ichorid
    4 [RAV] Golgari Grave-Troll
    4 [FUT] Narcomoeba
    4 [RAV] Stinkweed Imp
    4 [TO] Putrid Imp
    2 [OD] Sadistic Hypnotist

// Spells
    4 [FUT] Bridge from Below
    4 [JU] Cabal Therapy
    3 [TSP] Dread Return
    4 [TO] Breakthrough
    4 [MI] Lion's Eye Diamond
    2 [TO] Deep Analysis
    3 [MM] Unmask

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [AN] City of Brass
    SB: 1 [MM] Unmask
    SB: 3 [WL] Firestorm
    SB: 1 [JU] Ancestor's Chosen
    SB: 4 [ON] Chain of Vapor
    SB: 2 [OD] Tireless Tribe
    SB: 3 [TSP] Ancient Grudge

So, Match 1 against Johannes Gehrer with RG Goyf Sligh

Game 1 I explode with Land, LED, breakthrough and spawn a lot of tokens with DR on a Troll.

1-0

Game 2 I mull into oblivion and get stomped and burned out soon. So far I've seen no hate.

1-1

Game 3 I slowdredge a few turns and get beaten down to 10, then I explode with Breakthrough. However, Dredges were not good, so I just reanimate a Chosen , go on 46 life and pass the Turn.
    Board: Chosen vs. 2 Nacatls.
    Next turn, I recurr Ichorids and make myself a Sadistic and steal a bunch of Bolts and Chain Lightnings.
    Board: Chosen, Sadistic vs. Nacatl, Nacatl
    He rips a Relic from the top, chains his Relic into a 2nd Relic and draws 2 Burnspells within the next 2 turns to burn away the Chosen. I have no resources left and get assraped.
    I should have Dread Returned a Grave Troll instead of the Sadistic Hypnotist and it would have been a cakewalk, but I messed it up. In Round 1 of the tournament. This still annoys me like hell.

1-2, 0-1-0

Match 2: Simon Fassl with Countertop

He is basically an asshole, but he can also be funny and friendly.
    Plus, he is an outstanding Vintage player. However, he fails hard at Legacy.

So I'm pretty confident on that. g1 I lose the dieroll and I'm happy about that. I DDD a few turns and when I had enough Dredger, I Unmask him and jerk off with Breakthrough.

1-0

g2 he mulls to 5 and keeps a hand with lands, a Dark Confidant and Tarmogoyf. Despite playing the DDD play, I win pretty fast against a Goyf and a RWM because the Confidant flips 2 FoWs and I spawn 2 medium-size Trolls.

2-0, 1-1-0

Match 3 against Hendrik Stadtländer with canadian Thresh

He looked a bit upset when he saw me. When I asked him why, he replied "Well, let's put it just that way, you don't know me, but I know who you are." - Okay, am I that famous?

I keep a mediocre hand with City, Breakthrough and a fuckload of Dredgers.
    I have no clue what he plays, so open with Breakthrough to dump everything into my grave. "Huh...resolves..." he mumbled.

When he opened with Tropical, Ponder, it was clear to me that I'll win. I slowdredge and apply pressure with Ichorids and get more and more tokens. He scoops because he can't get it with his Goyf and the Goose.

1-0

game 2 I DDD and just win. It turned out that he just boarded in 2 Pyroclasms, but neglected Spell Pierces and Pyroblasts which are actually huge against Dredge. I advice him how to side against Dredge and I guess he still left the table quite happy because of that.

2-0, 2-1-0

Match 4 against Christian Bien with Goblins.

My memory is flawed. I don't know whether this match was 2 or 3 games...

g1 I keep a hand with Dredger, Land, Breakthrough. "Do you play blue?" - "I won't tell you" - "Land, Breakthrough" - "I don't play blue.".
    He then plays Land, Vial and before he can do anything with it, I can recurr Moebas and empty his hand with Therapies. "I thought I'd have more time what what are you playing? DREDGE!" - "Yeye "

1-0

g2 or g3 I slowdredge with a Tireless Tribe. He had a hand which relied heavily on his 2 Aether Vials which I destroy with Ancient Grudges. He then scoops it up after I spawn a Grave Troll with 6 tokens.

2-0 (or 2-1, don't know), 3-1-0

Match 5 against Glenn Hasle with BGW Rock

g1: Land, LED, Breakthrough. "I fucking hate Dredge...", he said.

1-0

g2: I keep a hand with City, Chain, Imp & Dredgers, I can deal with everything! He opend without Leyline, I slowdredge with Imp. I just see a Tidehollow Sculler which eats my Chain, then a Kitchen Finks, but his hardcast Leyline is too late and he's not able to stop the army of tokens and the Ichorids that can hit him once.

2-0, 4-1-0

Match 6 against Stefan Benisch with 5color Intuloam

I win the diceroll. Land, LED, LED, Breakthrough, Dredge 4 Trolls, Flashback 2 DA, Hypnotist, mindtwist him. "You little asshole!" -

1-0

g2 I win via slowdredge with a Imp since he is manaflooded and doesn't draw anything senseful.

2-0, 5-1-0

Match 7 against Patrick Collinet with Rock

I keep a hand with Land, LED, Thug and stuff like Moeba and Sadistic after mulling to 6. I intend to DDD however because I lose the diceroll.

He opens with Land, Thoughtseize. He does not pick the LED however but the Narcomoeba. I topdeck Breakthrough and chain the Dredgers ftw.

1-0

He: Land, go.

Me: Land, LED, Breakthrough... His 2nd Turn Jotun Grunt can't stop me.

2-0, 6-1-0

Wow, after a 0-1 start I'm still in contention and have good chances for Top8, YAY!!!

In Round 8 I was supposed to play a Merfolk player and I'm a bit pissed because all Merfolk player that have made it so far are often lucksacks.
    However, the judges tell us to be patient and that they have some issues with their software.

We eventually get new pairings.

Match 8 - Feature match - against Alix "Obfuscate Freely" Hatfield.

I open craphands and mull to 5 with just a Land and a few Dredgers. He starts with a Grim Lavamancer, I draw-go (draw LED). He then plays a Tarmogoyf, attacks with Grim and passes the turn.

I topdeck a Breakthrough. I'm too lucky, the flaw is yet to come. I Dredge only about 20 cards because I did not hit any additional Dredgers beside Thug, Imp and Imp. I also don't have a analysis or whatsoever.

I hit 2 Bridges, a Moeba and a Therapy however and Therapy him. In Response he Fireblasts his own Grim, taking my Bridges so my board remains empty. I call Path to Exile and hit one because I know he play them.

I hit him to 11 with recurring Ichorids, we both seem to have a well-balanced damage race with each other. I DR a 11/11 Troll. "Hm... perfect size...", Alix mumbled. He draws a card, looks at it, and drops it on the table: A Path to Exile. Nice topdeck, sir.
    I manage to hit a Bridge after getting a few damage, so I return 2 Trolls when I'm on 4 Life. He topdecks a Grim Lavamancer and is able to survive 2 Turns by throwing cats on the table to gun me down. Damn!

0-1

game 2 I have to think for a long time what to do with my hand, I mulled on 5 and kept a hand with Land, Therapy, Moeba, Breakthrough, Unmask.
    I thought about just topdecking a Dredger, unmasking myself and then go off, but that's not the safest plan.
    I therefore unmask him, hit a Crypt and then dump stuff into my grave with Breakthrough.

I dredge for 3 turns, hit him a bit with Ichorids and Alix rips a Crypt from the top. I am forced to draw and rip a Therapy from the top, to I cast Therapy on myself to dump 3 Trolls into my grave in hope to recover. He then topdecked a Jotun Grunt, I dredge 6 times irrelevant stuff, Grunt disposes the other 2 Trolls and I'm doomed.

0-2, 6-2-0

However, it was a pleasure to play against him and I hope I'll have a chance to get revenge some day.

Match 9 against Eske "Ecoris" Sparso with Merfolk

g1 I open with a Putrid Imp and slowdredge. That's enough since he has a slow hand with low mana and Aether Vial.

g2 I tried to slowdredge again but somehow 1 Merfolk suddenly became 5 Merfolks with Jitte and I was dead in a second... duh.

g3 was the bad beats story: I keep a hand with City, Troll, Coliseum, Breakthrough, Therapy, Unmask. I wanted to use Coliseum as a combo-enabler, so I did not breakthrough on Turn 1 because I wanted to keep it.

I unmask him, see: Island, Aethr Vial, Echoing Truth, Umezawa's Jitte, Merrow Rejeery, Sovereign, FoW. I pick FoW and pass the Turn.

He draws, plays Island, Aether Vial and passes the turn.

So, everythings fine, if he would have draw Cursecatcher, I could pay for it, if he would have drawn Daze, I could pay for it, if he would have drawn a Relic, I'd still have tried to explode and Ancient Grudge it. Everything seems perfect!

I play the 2nd Land, Breakthrough and he quitely drops a FoW on the table. Yes, he topdecked another Force right after I unmasked the one from his hand.
    I don't draw a discard outlet and can just watch how I get slaughered by a Rejeery carrying a Jitte.

1-2, 6-3-0, 38th place out of 268.

Because I'm still certain that my line of play was the best you could do with this opening hand against Merfolk, I'm very angry as this topdeck was the only way (THE ONLY WAY) for him to steal the game.
    He admitted that he would have been dead since even a topdecked Relic would have been irrelevant because he kept a 1-lander.
    I'm out of Top16 and happy about him being 17th.

In retrospective, my behaviour afterwards was very infantile and I have to apologize for that.

But I still feel sorry for Alix who did not made it into Top8 because of tiebreakers, he ended up being 9th.

I somehow can't call it day still, I'm certain that I could have made it into Top16 if I wouldn't have got topdecked.
    But at least I had the opportunity to meet the Unicorns and credits ro Parcher again for his... his... well, everything, the deck and the guide.

Alix has taken a photo of that, hope his report goes online soon. ;-)
    Last edited by Adan; 01-14-2010 at 03:26 AM.
    Team SPOD
    <Der_imaginäre_Freund> props:
    Adan for being the NQG God (drawer)

Refuses to play dual lands
    Mar 2007
    Terryville, CT

Re: Rise & Fall in Hanau, 38th Place with Dredge

Dont feel bad, I have lost games where you therapy someone for a specific card, and if they get another turn, sometimes they just draw it. Although looking at that hand you had(I see only 6 cards there, I assume you mulled or forgot to list a card) I may have been inclined to send that one back and risk going to 5 cards against merfolk.... Otherwise, looks like you had some solid plays all day.
    TEAM AWESOME

Well, at least we smell better

Not a Member
    Jul 2006
    Germany

Re: Rise & Fall in Hanau, 38th Place with Dredge

I played against Eske in the Trials one day later also with Dredge (LED-less). Well what can I say, he drew the Lord to kill me exactly in game 1 and the Relic the turn before he would have been dead. Those Merfolk players...

Still he was a nice guy and played well.
    TS Crew

Thread Information