Page 336 of 343 FirstFirst ... 236286326332333334335336337338339340 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,720 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Edit: Past that I'm sure there are a lot more variances in foreign shops in lot to lot printings...but again, I haven't seen a lot of people come forward asking if their foreign card is legit or not.
    It's also only the American card stock that is a curling shitshow. So there are definitely differences.

As for fakes, aside from using foreign cards, why don't people art alter it, e.g. with extended art on the frames?

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    As for fakes, aside from using foreign cards, why don't people art alter it, e.g. with extended art on the frames?
    Then you're at the mercy of the head judge as to whether or not your cards are playable. Pay for a decent alter and you're probably fine, but if it can be easily cut to or otherwise identified upon inspection then it'll be disallowed and you're right back where you started (i.e. without your playset of duals).

Sharpie alters are a thing. Potentially horrific looking, but a $2 Gaea's Cradle that has a tasteful, safe for children Dragon Ball Z vs Dr Doom mess on top of it sounds pretty good right about now.

And apparently having artists sign fakes is actually a thing. They may call it out but otherwise will sign whatever for their $2 fee. Other than Mark Tedin for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Even wizards acknowledges that the Japanese stock/coating is different, so they changed all sites to Japanese style. So you could point to that as evidence of why a foreign fake feels different than a English comparison card.
    I mean, as far as Japanese cards go I only buy/use those in my decks so I have a pretty good idea (moreso than the average MTG player, anyway) of how they appear and feel. Therefore I'd say that I am confident in my abilities to be able to spot a fake Japanese card.

I'm sure that this "skill" can be extended to players who collect other types of foreign cards, like Russian and German and S./T. Chinese and the like. You would just have a smaller group of "experts" to go to rather than being able to poll the entire HEG member base.

Other than Mark Tedin for some reason.
    I wouldn't want to sign something that the person could then use as "proof" that the card is "genuine" when scamming another player.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

I've been trying to ask Maro about pseudo-reprints several times, but couldn't get an answer, so I tried the most basic question possible to build up on.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post...ints-but#notes

-Hi Mark ! The RL covers functional reprints, but you're allowed to print new cards that are close, right ?

-There’s a “spirit of the Reserved List” that we try to be careful about.
    While I remember seeing that notion of "spirit" tossed here and there, being used in such a direct answer is a downer. I'll see if I can try to get clearer answers on what might be hoped and what might not.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    140x Relentless Rats
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bleiweiss
    I wish that Wizards would have just gone ahead and done away with the Reserved List entirely. It is nothing but a blight on the game and one that long outlived its purpose. [...] I am wholeheartedly in favor of getting rid of the Reserved List and reprinting higher-dollar staple cards from EDH and Legacy. Pete Hoefling the owner of StarCityGames.com agrees with my point of view as well.
    - Ben Bleiweiss, SCG General Manager, Feb 2010

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerLewis View Post
    I'll see if I can try to get clearer answers on what might be hoped and what might not.
    This shitpost from Reddit about how to circumvent the RL is basically what you're looking for.

And it'll never happen.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

I don't really see how it's shitpost. Probably too long for what it is, but that's all.

Also, they made Reverberate, so there is hope, unless they're now stating even Reverberate was a mistake they'd never repeat.
    140x Relentless Rats
    I wish that Wizards would have just gone ahead and done away with the Reserved List entirely. It is nothing but a blight on the game and one that long outlived its purpose. [...] I am wholeheartedly in favor of getting rid of the Reserved List and reprinting higher-dollar staple cards from EDH and Legacy. Pete Hoefling the owner of StarCityGames.com agrees with my point of view as well.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerLewis View Post
    Also, they made Reverberate, so there is hope, unless they're now stating even Reverberate was a mistake they'd never repeat.
    This was the incident which initiated the whole "Spirit of the RL" nonsense, after the people of TheManaDrain made a buzz about Reverberate/Fork on Twitter.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Wasn't Reverberate the whole genesis of the "spirit of the reserve list" thing?

kingdavidofisrael asked: If Fork is on the reserved list, why is Reverberate okay? I know they're not exactly the same but it seems like basically a functional reprint.
    It was created at a time when we were a little looser with how we handled the Reserve List. As it’s a done deal, we use it, but I don’t feel like we’re going to be doing that in present day.
    Posted September 21, 2012

I'm all for holding out hope, but using the card that helped tighten the screws is a bit of a downer.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

Somebody submitted fake tournament results to mtgtop8 to try to inflate the price of Meditate, so that's neat.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Site Contributor

Feb 2011

Considering the price spike that occurred today and yesterday on MCM, I'd say it worked. Speculation/manipulation of prices has reached a new low...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Non games are not only a common sight in Legacy, they are every decks plan. [...] Playing a deck like DnT and then complaining about "Non games" is hypocritical, because non games are your plan, you just disapprove of the way someone else is trying to achieve that same goal.

It has happened before with Dramatic Entrance that I remember - https://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/2664.

Not sure how often these come up. I wouldn't put it past speculators to spike fake tournaments with a tier 2/3 deck plus new tech (Pox with Karn, Nic Fit with Academy Rectors and the Almondkat Curses) to drive up demand as well. That seems a little better method for a solid gain instead of a completely outlandish deck like Meditate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Wasn't Reverberate the whole genesis of the "spirit of the reserve list" thing?

kingdavidofisrael asked: If Fork is on the reserved list, why is Reverberate okay? I know they're not exactly the same but it seems like basically a functional reprint.
    It was created at a time when we were a little looser with how we handled the Reserve List. As it’s a done deal, we use it, but I don’t feel like we’re going to be doing that in present day.
    Posted September 21, 2012

I'm all for holding out hope, but using the card that helped tighten the screws is a bit of a downer.
    Thanks for the info. Didn't know that. This sucks.
    140x Relentless Rats

Oct 2015
    Prague, CZ

I play legacy and fortunately, I don't need to care about most of that RL crap. However, Revised duals are also going up. Revised duals!

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by jattra View Post
    I play legacy and fortunately, I don't need to care about most of that RL crap. However, Revised duals are also going up. Revised duals!
    Maybe because Revised Duals ARE Reserved List cards?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Oct 2015
    Prague, CZ

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Maybe because Revised Duals ARE Reserved List cards?
    That is clear :)

The point is that the crazy buyouts are getting dangerous for the game, which was not the case with Cadaverous Bloom and co.
    Last edited by jattra; 05-14-2018 at 11:00 AM.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by jattra View Post
    That is clear :)

The point is that the crazy buyouts are getting dangerous for the game, which was not the case with Cadaverous Bloom and co.
    My little joke earlier aside, the format suffers from the buyouts for much longer. 200$+ for the likes of LEDs, Mox Diamonds, City of traitors and such already act as gatekeepers for people witz slight interrest in the format.

Why should anyone shell out ~600 for 3 out of 75 card required to play Legacy if you can get a Playstation 4 Pro with a second Controller and a few games for the same price? I wonder if people still realize that MTG and Legacy have to compete with other forms of gaming these days.

Join us at Facebook!

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Why should anyone shell out ~600 for 3 out of 75 card required to play Legacy if you can get a Playstation 4 Pro with a second Controller and a few games for the same price?
    Because in 4 years you can sell those 3 cards to buy a Hyundai?

Sony's biggest error was not making the Playstation out of cardboard...

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Sony's biggest error was not making the Playstation out of cardboard...
    At least Nintendo does now.

Join us at Facebook!

Thread Information