Page 285 of 343 FirstFirst ... 185235275281282283284285286287288289295335 ... LastLast
Results 5,681 to 5,700 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    That's like buying a Ferrari with a ding in it so that you can save some money. Go balls out or just get HP Revised. Any middle ground is just ratchet and idiotic.

As far as looks goes, Italian is the only language that still use the old T tap symbol which is kinda cool. TBH compairing french or italian fbb sea with an HP revised is kinda extreme, but thats what this thread is for.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Quote Originally Posted by chemicalstylez View Post
    The German language thing i'll never get.... When i bought my FBB lands i went with whatever the cheapest was lol. Safe to say I have many Italian lands . If i found a good deal on a German FBB I'd no sooner flip it and pocket the extra cash.
    I prefer Italian, actually, because of the T symbol.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    I prefer Italian, actually, because of the T symbol.
    And, if you do, that's great. Play with what you love. I truly mean it. But chemicalstylez's mentality is the same as those who run foil Modern Masters instead of foil Ravnica in an attempt at an "all foil" deck because "it's still foil lol". It's not impressing or fooling anyone.

And, if you do, that's great. Play with what you love. I truly mean it. But chemicalstylez's mentality is the same as those who run foil Modern Masters instead of foil Ravnica in an attempt at an "all foil" deck because "it's still foil lol". It's not impressing or fooling anyone.
    While that's true around here and it's fun to be elitist about duals and shit it's not actually the case in the real world. Normal players love expeditions, ktk fetches, and modern masters foils and the percentage of people who actually care about this sort of thing is about as low as it could possibly be.

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    Normal players love expeditions, ktk fetches, and modern masters foils and the percentage of people who actually care about this sort of thing is about as low as it could possibly be.
    Normal players will actively point out anything that's worth more than the stadium cost of a pretzel and fries. However, if ever two nerds sitting at a table are interrupted by a filthy casual, the deck that will receive more "ooo"s and "aaah"s, without fail, is the deck that's groomed to taste. Even my pile of misfit toys manages to snag more complements than haphazard lists. Starting out your "thank you" with "yeah, they're cheaper than German lol" is a surefire way to have no one ever give a shit about the aesthetics of your deck ever again. Run those Italian black borders because you want to run those Italian black borders.

No one appreciates a deck whose Lightning Bolts look like this...

"But they're valuable" doesn't matter. To everyone this playset looks like shit, and running Italian black border because it's what you felt like affording is no less telling.

Normal players will actively point out anything that's worth more than the stadium cost of a pretzel and fries. However, if ever two nerds sitting at a table are interrupted by a filthy casual, the deck that will receive more "ooo"s and "aaah"s, without fail, is the deck that's groomed to taste. Even my pile of misfit toys manages to snag more complements than haphazard lists. Starting out your "thank you" with "yeah, they're cheaper than German lol" is a surefire way to have no one ever give a shit about the aesthetics of your deck ever again. Run those Italian black borders because you want to run those Italian black borders.

No one appreciates a deck whose Lightning Bolts look like this..

"But they're valuable" doesn't matter. To everyone this playset looks like shit, and running Italian black border because it's what you felt like affording is no less telling.
    This is true, though there's some matter of degree here. If you run Italian FBBs, you won't run into a lot of "ewww Italian". It's not really comparable to the most horribly mismatched set of Bolts imaginable.

But it's true that you get away with more shit if you do it with confidence. I get compliments on the 7th edition white bordered basics i run in one of my decks to match the white-bordered duals. Nobody thinks it's cooler than black bordered, obviously, but most people appreciate that all the lands match. Same if you do a deck with, say, English non-foil, but you are super picky about condition and edition. You do get style points just for going with a look and sticking with it.

I had to do a double take. This is in fact not the pimp thread. Huh.

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Havrekjex View Post

But it's true that you get away with more shit if you do it with confidence. I get compliments on the 7th edition white bordered basics i run in one of my decks to match the white-bordered duals.

Holy shit, I'm not the only person who plays these? I just get made fun of for it though.

RANT RANT RANT
    I actually used to play a set of the full-art Lightning Bolts, but realized they are pretty crass and traded them off. I'm currently using generic M11 Bolts while looking to acquire true Beta ones. Now I hadn't looked at their prices much before, but I feel like Beta Bolts have gotten a bit more expensive with C. Rush's passing.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphix View Post
    Holy shit, I'm not the only person who plays these? I just get made fun of for it though.

I actually used to play a set of the full-art Lightning Bolts, but realized they are pretty crass and traded them off. I'm currently using generic M11 Bolts while looking to acquire true Beta ones. Now I hadn't looked at their prices much before, but I feel like Beta Bolts have gotten a bit more expensive with C. Rush's passing.
    I actually like the full art Lightning Bolts because the art is pretty awesomely hilarious to me (Nicol Bolas' giant claw zapping some poor tiny bastard).

Of course, the Beta (or my preference is the Judge promo ones) are the sweetest ones.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

running Italian black border because it's what you felt like affording is no less telling.
    Mmmm, not necessarily true. For example, Italian FBB Tundras and Volcs are only, on average, $100 less than their German counterparts. So it stands to reason to that if someone is running the Italian ones in a traditional Miracles list (3 and 2, respectively), it's not out of budget considerations because it's only a few hundred more on top of the $2450 ($500 more, less if you can find a good seller). And someone who has no problem spending almost $2500 on 5 cards will have had no problem spending $3000 on those same 5 because at that point it's just gratuitous.

At least, that's how it was for me.

But I also just wanted ITA more than GER.

Run those Italian black borders because you want to run those Italian black borders.
    Yup.

I completely agree that if you're using the cheapest versions to pimp but don't make the rest of the deck the same (i.e. you have German FoWs but run some beat ass French FBB duals) then you're just trying too hard.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    For example, Italian FBB Tundras and Volcs are only, on average, $100 less than their German counterparts. So it stands to reason to that if someone is running the Italian ones in a traditional Miracles list (3 and 2, respectively), it's not out of budget considerations because it's only a few hundred more on top of the $2450 ($500 more, less if you can find a good seller). And someone who has no problem spending almost $2500 on 5 cards will have had no problem spending $3000 on those same 5 because at that point it's just gratuitous.
    Agreed. However...

Quote Originally Posted by chemicalstylez View Post
    The German language thing i'll never get.... When i bought my FBB lands i went with whatever the cheapest was lol. Safe to say I have many Italian lands . If i found a good deal on a German FBB I'd no sooner flip it and pocket the extra cash.
    ... is what started this conversation.

I end up going for French because I prefer the look. IIRC, the print run is comparable to German. When I was foiling Maverick I wanted a French Bayou because the name said "Bayou" instead of whatever angry German phrase it is, and I wanted them all to be the same language so I ended up with Savanes and Brousse as well.

When you're talking about sinking money into a vanity card, imo it's more important that YOU like the way it looks than whatever anyone else thinks.

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Cambriel View Post
    because the name said "Bayou" instead of whatever angry German phrase it is
    "Mangrovensumpf". Fun part is is, iirc, "Bayou" is hard as shit to say, so Mangrovensumpf is the word that's frequently spoken even during English conversations.

German folks can feel free to confirm/deny.

Edit: Debunked.
    Last edited by iamajellydonut; 05-08-2016 at 11:08 PM.

Site Contributor

Feb 2015
    Detroit, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Cambriel View Post
    I end up going for French because I prefer the look. IIRC, the print run is comparable to German. When I was foiling Maverick I wanted a French Bayou because the name said "Bayou" instead of whatever angry German phrase it is, and I wanted them all to be the same language so I ended up with Savanes and Brousse as well.

When you're talking about sinking money into a vanity card, imo it's more important that YOU like the way it looks than whatever anyone else thinks.
    +1 for French. I'd rather eloquence than austerity. I chose these solely on the point of not following the macho German language trend.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Let us continue with bitching about prices and discuss pimp in the pimp thread.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    Let us continue with bitching about prices and discuss pimp in the pimp thread.
    Werd, I'll use whatever I get my hands on in English.

I have 2 or 3 not English urza lands and it bugs the crap out of my.

Now I have replaced them from a recent collection acquisition.

I'm not picky about cards anymore other than the lands I use.

Zen/UN, urza saga and earlier lands(t:add * to your mana pool). When they moved to the symbol instead of text I started buying older lands.

Mostly saga and tempest but I do like iceage and revised basics.

I need a few cards to tank so I can finish my spiral tide list, in sure someone is saying to themselves.

"Big whoop, tides cheap as dirt"

"Mangrovensumpf". Fun part is is, iirc, "Bayou" is hard as shit to say, so Mangrovensumpf is the word that's frequently spoken even during English conversations.

German folks can feel free to confirm/deny.
    (To make sure: you meant Germans specifically use "Mangrovensumpf" during English conversations?)

If so: Sorry can't confirm, bayou is not hard to say and both names are used during English and German conversations here.

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    If so: Sorry can't confirm, bayou is not hard to say and both names are used during English and German conversations here.
    Damn. I've been fed false information it seems.

Oct 2013
    The Naki, NZ

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    (To make sure: you meant Germans specifically use "Mangrovensumpf" during English conversations?)

I think he was being slightly sarcastic, even though 'Mangrovensumpf' is pretty easy compared to some of the other cards in existence. (For example, Gedankenpeitschenremasuri is much more of an abomination)

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbump View Post
    Gedankenpeitschenremasuri
    Oooh, my God. I just googled the card associated with that name, and there is no way I ever could have guessed that a card with such an innocent name could have such a terrifying translation.

That said, I was actually being serious. I had heard somewhere that "bayou" was tough to pronounce for Germans, but apparently I was told wrong.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

That's like buying a Ferrari with a ding in it so that you can save some money. Go balls out or just get HP Revised. Any middle ground is just ratchet and idiotic.
    Depends on what you plan to do with the Ferrari. I'm not Ralph Lauren, because if I was, I'd drive the ever loving hell out of his 250 TR, so there's no reason to own that particular example, at least for me. But, since there's only like five, you can't be super picky. #30milliondollars

Thread Information