Page 322 of 343 FirstFirst ... 222272312318319320321322323324325326332 ... LastLast
Results 6,421 to 6,440 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

May as well. If you aren't playing blue in legacy you're doing it wrong anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I see some have said it was 10 years ago, so the case is different today, and that WotC woudn't do it. How exactly was Harmless Offering released in 2016 then, as it's the exact same situation 10 years later. Donate cost 2U and is on the reserved list, Harmless Offering cost 2R and has a very, very similar text.

"A card is considered functionally identical to another card if it has the same card type, subtypes, abilities, mana cost, power, and toughness." <--- the RL policy. The way I read it, these cards shoudn't exist, as they have the same mana-cost, and are functionally idenctical. Changing colors doesn't change CMC.

Also @JPoJohnson: do you mind linking me, or just referring me to what year any changes happened? I can't find anything from Wizards saying they did. Thank you in advance.

edit: Another old case was Null Profusion being another color-shifted RL card, having the same exact errata as Recycle. And there is also the curious case of Reverberate, which is more like Harmless Offering in which the text slightly changes.

tl:dr=color-shifted Moat when?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Kanti View Post
    I see some have said it was 10 years ago, so the case is different today, and that WotC woudn't do it. How exactly was Harmless Offering released in 2016 then, as it's the exact same situation 10 years later. Donate cost 2U and is on the reserved list, Harmless Offering cost 2R and has a very, very similar text.

"A card is considered functionally identical to another card if it has the same card type, subtypes, abilities, mana cost, power, and toughness." <--- the RL policy. The way I read it, these cards shoudn't exist, as they have the same mana-cost, and are functionally idenctical. Changing colors doesn't change CMC.

Also @JPoJohnson: do you mind linking me, or just referring me to what year any changes happened? I can't find anything from Wizards saying they did. Thank you in advance.

edit: Another old case was Null Profusion being another color-shifted RL card, having the same exact errata as Recycle. And there is also the curious case of Reverberate, which is more like Harmless Offering in which the text slightly changes.

tl:dr=color-shifted Moat when?
    Reverberate had a pretty big shitstorm around it when it got spoiled. How about Twincast? Did that have a big uproar around it? As far as I can think that might be the earliest color shifted "reprint"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

It's true changing colors doesn't change CMC. But it doesn't say "converted mana cost." It says "mana cost." 2R is a different mana cost than 2U.

If you swap out Fork for Reverberate, 99.999999% of the time it will be functionally identical. That is not the case for Donate and Harmless Offering; it'll make a pretty big difference if you have Blue mana but no Red mana (or vice versa).

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Reverberate had a pretty big shitstorm around it when it got spoiled. How about Twincast? Did that have a big uproar around it? As far as I can think that might be the earliest color shifted "reprint"?
    I don't remember anyone really caring about Twincast, but then again I don't remember much of a hubbub for Reverberate either.

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Donate is an incredibly fringe card that is nominally pretty bad, hard to get outraged over harmless offering.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    Donate is an incredibly fringe card that is nominally pretty bad, hard to get outraged over harmless offering.
    So basically it's a crap card that sucks, and thus has little demand, and a low price. But if a card has high demand, and a high price, then the RList starts to matter?

At what dollar amount do people get outraged? RList is created to protect collectors, but I guess it doesn't matter when if they color-shift >$50 cards?

@LordSeth: You are right on the mana-cost, but it obviously seems pretty crazy. This means by nature they can't reprint any lands or artifact on the RList? Who thought of this?

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

Anyone protecting the reserve list is a moron on drugs at this point or simply has no idea how the market actually works
    Tusk Up

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

So basically it's a crap card that sucks, and thus has little demand, and a low price. But if a card has high demand, and a high price, then the RList starts to matter?

At what dollar amount do people get outraged? RList is created to protect collectors, but I guess it doesn't matter when if they color-shift >$50 cards?

@LordSeth: You are right on the mana-cost, but it obviously seems pretty crazy. This means by nature they can't reprint any lands or artifact on the RList? Who thought of this?
    So are you okay with Stony Silence being a card?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Oct 2015
    Prague, CZ

Any clue why Thoughtseize (Lorwyn especially) is rising these days?

Because it's pretty

at least when compared to the Theros one

Foreign Black Border
    Jun 2012
    Houston, Texas

Been a few years since it was reprinted and Grixis death shadow is pretty good in modern (if I had to guess)

And I agree, it is very pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I still have a strong suspicion that if 'Thalia, Heretic Cathar' had been named 'Frank, Heretic Cathar', people would be a lot more skeptical of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin Aggro View Post
    Ugh, there he goes again, talking about the girlfriend. We get it dude.

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Quote Originally Posted by jattra View Post
    Any clue why Thoughtseize (Lorwyn especially) is rising these days?
    I think Modern Death's Shadow has a lot to do with it. Not sure why Lorwyn specifically, though.

Both printings have been on a natural rise, but Lorwyn's spiked hard this week despite not looking like an actual buyout (or was just a failed one).

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Site Contributor

Feb 2011

That's a pretty decent price for an unlimited USea, right?
    Non games are not only a common sight in Legacy, they are every decks plan. [...] Playing a deck like DnT and then complaining about "Non games" is hypocritical, because non games are your plan, you just disapprove of the way someone else is trying to achieve that same goal.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Is SCG jacking up the prices again? This doesn't make sense:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Re...ound+Sea#paper

May 2015
    PDX

lol, they're trying to spike revised duals to 500? I wonder if they forgot about the price ceiling provided by unlimited, FBB, Beta, and Alpha... Seems like they're putting a lot of faith in vintage if you think all these Sea prices are going to upshift vs the fairly stable price of power. There isn't exactly a booming market for people looking for ~$3k beta Seas (they list them at 5k), particularly b/c your getting into low-end Lotus pricing...

I'd like to know how the meeting went down on this decision. Nevermind that Volc is performing better than USea right now, it seems a bit ambitious to spike Sea $100 over Volc given that Sea casts Death's Shadow (easiest blue dual to replace with shock-land).

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    lol, they're trying to spike revised duals to 500? I wonder if they forgot about the price ceiling provided by unlimited, FBB, Beta, and Alpha... Seems like they're putting a lot of faith in vintage if you think all these Sea prices are going to upshift vs the fairly stable price of power. There isn't exactly a booming market for people looking for ~$3k beta Seas (they list them at 5k), particularly b/c your getting into low-end Lotus pricing...

I'd like to know how the meeting went down on this decision. Nevermind that Volc is performing better than USea right now, it seems a bit ambitious to spike Sea $100 over Volc given that Sea casts Death's Shadow (easiest blue dual to replace with shock-land).
    Revised duals cannot be compared with power...
    1,100 Alpha sets
    3,200 Beta sets
    18,500 Unlimited sets
    289,000 Revised sets
    So they printed ~300000 seas vs ~22000 sapphires.
    Yes, you can play 4 seas and only 1 sapphire, but even with this..

I don't think they are really trying to spike the price of all duals, but just the NM/M ones.
    Also... who plays Death's Shadow in Legacy/Vintage?

All this is going to do is push the market more towards Chinese duals. Supposedly they're printing black ink layers now too. I took a look and it seems the only real limitation will be getting blue core paper, but good luck testing for that outside of a microscope-style loupe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Revised duals cannot be compared with power...
    1,100 Alpha sets
    3,200 Beta sets
    18,500 Unlimited sets
    289,000 Revised sets
    So they printed ~300000 seas vs ~22000 sapphires.
    Yes, you can play 4 seas and only 1 sapphire, but even with this..

I don't think they are really trying to spike the price of all duals, but just the NM/M ones.
    Also... who plays Death's Shadow in Legacy/Vintage?
    What I'm saying is if I go to a vendor at a GP or EW and I see beta Sea at SCG's $5k sitting next to a $3k unlimited Lotus or beta Recall, I'm not going to buy the Sea (assuming I'm there to spend such a high amount). If you push revised Sea to $500, then FBB and unlimited Seas start costing as much as an unlimited Mox...so congrats on raising the price of revised Sea on the back of a top end that is kind of fictitious if power stays about where it is price-wise. They can be compared, because they're sitting right next to eachother in the same case wherever you go to buy cards.

I mean there's some Shadow going on in legacy, but the point is more that Volc is performing better than Sea right now and SCG lists it at $100 less, and you can't really come up with a reason to run Steam Vents over Volc while the same is not true with Sea.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

This was brought to my attention and is likely the reason for the hike:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...lds-2017-07-19

Legacy in the PT.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Thread Information