Page 324 of 343 FirstFirst ... 224274314320321322323324325326327328334 ... LastLast
Results 6,461 to 6,480 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Speculators gotta speculate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Speculators gotta speculate.
    This is probably a three-step process:

1. Mishra's Bauble goes crazy high in price due to Modern play, so at least some people (myself included) look at Urza's Bauble and say, "Well, if I ever want some of these, I'd better grab some at bulk prices now. Who knows what the silly market will do next?" Thus some part of the online stock is depleted. (I use them in a casual Saheeli Oath deck because it plays very nicely with Saheeli, Titan, and Arcane Denial.)

2. Someone top 8s using Urza's Bauble in a legacy deck. I forget which one.

3. Two new groups now go to buy the card: those who didn't know it existed before and those who want to build the deck.

From there, the supply has already been hit and so speculators can easily buy out the whole market. Boom, now it's gonna be a 5 dolla card.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    This is probably a three-step process:
    2. Someone top 8s using Urza's Bauble in a legacy deck. I forget which one.
    I believe it's a W/B Bomberman list that needs as many 0 mana artifacts that are even remotely playable as possible to power up Mox Opal and Monastery Mentor.
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemeron View Post
    I believe it's a W/B Bomberman list that needs as many 0 mana artifacts that are even remotely playable as possible to power up Mox Opal and Monastery Mentor.
    The lists I've seen (keeping in mind that I do not Vintage) actually abuse it with Paradoxical Outcome. I haven't seen any Paradoxical Outcome lists that run Auriok Salvagers, but it wouldn't shock me if people have been making hybrid lists.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

It's the bomber man deck mostly. It got on camera over the weekend on SCG and wrecked face
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    The lists I've seen (keeping in mind that I do not Vintage) actually abuse it with Paradoxical Outcome. I haven't seen any Paradoxical Outcome lists that run Auriok Salvagers, but it wouldn't shock me if people have been making hybrid lists.
    People are playing Outcome in Legacy? Who are these savages?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

the trick is just staying current with the new brews before the community at large "discovers" them. i got my baubles about 12 weeks ago for 25 cents each.
    -rob

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    the trick is just staying current with the new brews before the community at large "discovers" them. i got my baubles about 12 weeks ago for 25 cents each.
    I simply bought mine for a bad revolt Zoo deck. Come to find out this terrible card has value now
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Hello darkness my old friend.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcyIptW-yIQ

tl, dr: foil Grim Monoliths are now 1k$+

Porphyry Nodes is on the rise! I believe it's underplayed in both Modern and Legacy.

Nodes have been "spiked" multiple times and they never stick.

bruizar

Nodes is spiking because drop of honey became ridiculous

I don't think Nodes will drop again, especially not the foil ones.

Btw Transmute Artifact going "bye bye".

Nov 2012
    Central New York

Awesome. I just sold 2x NM signed Transmutes for $105 for the pair on eBay since after 7 days that's all the bidding reached.....if you guys don't hear from me ever again you now know why. Anyone seen my gun?
    Today I am become death. The destroyer of worlds. -Oppenheimer

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

i realize that buyouts are going to happen. However, how effective are they at establishing a new price level?

Many of the buyouts are for trash cards that have no foreseeable value. For fringe use, casuals are unlikely to be able to afford them and non casuals don't want them.

So are there really enough purchases at the new price levels or are ppl just jacking up the marketplace because the MTG marketplace is easily manipulated?
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Depends on the card...

For instance, MtGStocks says Lifeblood is now a $102 card (up from $4 last week).
    It appears the new trend is to buy out garbage unplayable Reserved List cards to 'fear spike' the value. I assume with the hope to sell them at the newly inflated price, but I'm skeptical at how successful this strategy is...

For a card like Transmute Artifact, I'm more apt to believe a higher price will stick because only someone with serious money could attempt a buy-out (and someone with serious money is probably going to invest in stocks, not cardboard). Plus its CMC and ability are useful for stuff like EDH.
    So again, I think it depends on the card.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Depends on the card...

For instance, MtGStocks says Lifeblood is now a $102 card (up from $4 last week).
    It appears the new trend is to buy out garbage unplayable Reserved List cards to 'fear spike' the value. I assume with the hope to sell them at the newly inflated price, but I'm skeptical at how successful this strategy is...

For a card like Transmute Artifact, I'm more apt to believe a higher price will stick because only someone with serious money could attempt a buy-out (and someone with serious money is probably going to invest in stocks, not cardboard). Plus its CMC and ability are useful for stuff like EDH.
    I understand the logic / theory behind why they are doing it but I guess I'd like to know if the buyouts are successful at raising the price or if the cards generally drop back down to original price / close to it within a month / six months.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

I think the prices will stay pretty high, but nobody will buy the cards.

That is of course unless we are talking about actual playable cards like Transmute Artifact, which has seen Vintage, Legacy and EDH play.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Depends on the card...

At least Transmute Artifact is a "somewhat" unique, playable card.

Lifeblood is pretty terrible, especially since Sanctimony exists. Who would spend even $4 on that?

At least, again, Elephant Graveyard and Shahrazad (which also spiked recently) make some sense.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thread Information