Page 320 of 343 FirstFirst ... 220270310316317318319320321322323324330 ... LastLast
Results 6,381 to 6,400 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Holy balls, what's this all about?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Apr 2016
    Nor Cal

Canonist is the shit right now because storm has been doing well online so everyone is sideboarding it.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Nice hype to sell into. Too bad price memory won't let it ever be worth the pack it came in

Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Di...ean+Hulk#paper

If this isn't pure hype then I don't even
    Protean Hulk is an amazing card with amazing potential. The EDH unban is just icing on the cake, imo. Cards like Protean Hulk just get stronger and stronger, as more creatures get released, and more busted ways to get it in-and-out of play get released.

Nov 2006
    London

Aside from the odd card like Canonist, the price spikes and buyouts seem to have really slowed down in the past year. Would you guys attribute that to a more liberal reprint policy (e.g. introduction of Masterpieces and more Masters sets), or is there something else at play?

Seems like a much more stable economy than before. You can see it just takes about a year from when they identify a problem to correct it. I think we should be thankful that WotC listened.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    The price spikes and buyouts seem to have really slowed down in the past year.
    I'm curious how much of this is just that Reserved List cards have reached their new 'normal' and that previously undervalued cards are priced where the market thinks they should be (which is apparently higher than demand warrants in most cases).

Another factor/possibility is that WotC's willingness to make Masters sets has increased the risk component of the risk/reward equation speculators used on non-RL cards.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I'm curious how much of this is just that Reserved List cards have reached their new 'normal' and that previously undervalued cards are priced where the market thinks they should be (which is apparently higher than demand warrants in most cases).

Another factor/possibility is that WotC's willingness to make Masters sets has increased the risk component of the risk/reward equation speculators used on non-RL cards.
    Not all of them have done this. Lake of the dead for example has seen a wee rise in price, but hasn't shot up for any reason. It's a reserve list land that can do big things. It's no Gaea's Cradle, but it does fit into the growing old-school, and edh market alike.

To take a stab at it, I'd say a small majority of the RL cards have reset their new price memory. This based on my own interest in old-school formats and the archetypes presented.

Could be that most of the reserved list playable powerhouses that were run up (Cradle, Moat, LED, Tabernacle) hit the current market limit and sellers can't off load them any higher. Everything seems to have leveled off at the new higher price and stabilized. The manipulators might have taken big enough hits that they couldn't keep it up? Not sure. Either way, those four all were spiked in July '16 and have since leveled out.

Cradle https://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/8999
    Moat https://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/11653
    LED https://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/10345
    Tabernacle (more of a natural increase) https://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/11742

In any case, I don't think its the new reprints that are contributing to the stabilization. The spikes were a mix of direct manipulation (moat, LED) and some others may have been panic buyouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

I personally think that spikes are default panic buyouts. People generally accept that mtg cards are an unregulated form of money market and thus can be bought and sold for profit, Like any other commodity on a market. As stated above, things like moat were manipulated into their new ceiling price. LED went down the same road.

I've shown magic card price charts to people who deal in economics and day trading, for example, and they've been taken aback every time. The trends there work the same as in commodities futures, 1-2-3 patterns, pinnacles, etc. They're all useable to predict the future price of cards and get on the boat before breakouts. Obviously magic has a different set of variables than a commodity market (set releases, BR announcements) and these variances keep one from reading the bones to foresee the future 100% every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Could be that most of the reserved list playable powerhouses that were run up (Cradle, Moat, LED, Tabernacle) hit the current market limit and sellers can't off load them any higher. Everything seems to have leveled off at the new higher price and stabilized. The manipulators might have taken big enough hits that they couldn't keep it up? Not sure. Either way, those four all were spiked in July '16 and have since leveled out.

Cradle https://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/8999
    Moat https://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/11653
    LED https://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/10345
    Tabernacle (more of a natural increase) https://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/11742

In any case, I don't think its the new reprints that are contributing to the stabilization. The spikes were a mix of direct manipulation (moat, LED) and some others may have been panic buyouts.
    Maybe to get them to get a higher baseline more money needs to be thrown at the wall. Another buy out, another leveling off, a new base.

Looks like another stupid buyout with a hard spike on Drop of Honey.

https://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/11912

Card jumped from about $70 to $250 over the weekend after putting 2 sideboard copies in Top 8, 1 additional copy in Top 16. Quiet Speculation turds didn't help I'm sure.

Insider: Revisiting a Case Study (QS) Jun 11, 2017
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Sweet! That means the Porphyry Nodes I've been stockpiling are bound to increase in price, right?

I almost expect Serra's Sanctum to spike with the new Solemnity reveal. Not that any incredible deck will come out of it, but speculators are idiots who will drive up anything they can if they can sell a rationalization.

That or we'll see something random spike like Halls of Mist

Apr 2016
    Nor Cal

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Sweet! That means the Porphyry Nodes I've been stockpiling are bound to increase in price, right?
    You were joking but with that new enchantment reveal today you might be right

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Nah I get quiet spec updates and no one got Drop of Honey as an early call. This is just a legit buyout to up the price memory. It's a solid card in oldschool formats and warranted 70 buck's a pop but the asshats relisting it for 250 are gunning for a cash grab.

What was that article they wrote about/including the card?

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

They put out a recap article mentioning drop of honey but no where did an author call the spec before the GP, that's what you were talking about right?

Looks like QS dropped a new article, "Insider: Speculation on Legacy Isn’t Dead (QS) Jun 18, 2017", so now Drop of Honey is $425 TCG median, based off of 5 listings ranging $300 - $469.

GG idiots.

Well, weren't they right? Didn't they set out to do what they achieved and moved the market themselves?

Thread Information