Page 313 of 343 FirstFirst ... 213263303309310311312313314315316317323 ... LastLast
Results 6,241 to 6,260 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    I'd be happy to lose my "investment" if it meant that more people played.

Who cares, anyway.
    Those of us who bought into the format recently because we were upset with how the finances of Modern and Standard worked. If WotC didn't basically have a policy that guaranteed that I didn't need to worry about my $600 card becoming $200 overnight, I wouldn't have bought into Legacy. And I know several players coming from similar circumstances, whether it be buying into Legacy because Modern is garbage or because keeping up with the Standard metagame and cost of rotation was not what they wanted to be doing for the rest of their MTG career.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Oct 2015
    Virginia

I can kind of understand some of the reprint policy, as I traded quite heavily for a mint condition English tabernacle of pendrell vale, but for the rest of legacy stuff I wouldn't mind reprints, not many people play legacy because of the price, though I argue that modern has some overly expensive pieces, it would be nice to have more players in the (best) format ever.

Edit: not to mention playing standard where you have to replace your entire deck every so often.
    Now Playing:
    Dark depths
    Reanimator
    MUD
    Disclaimer: The above person does not claim to have knowledge pertaining to the following subject: anything. Thus, said person may not be held liable for any mishaps/explosions that his advice incurs.

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Those of us who bought into the format recently because we were upset with how the finances of Modern and Standard worked. If WotC didn't basically have a policy that guaranteed that I didn't need to worry about my $600 card becoming $200 overnight, I wouldn't have bought into Legacy. And I know several players coming from similar circumstances, whether it be buying into Legacy because Modern is garbage or because keeping up with the Standard metagame and cost of rotation was not what they wanted to be doing for the rest of their MTG career.
    If you want to protect your $600 go put it in a bank. If you're lucky it'll become $606.50 by next year. If you think you're protecting your finances by "investing" into some cardboard, the only person you're trying to fool is yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    If you want to protect your $600 go put it in a bank. If you're lucky it'll become $606.50 by next year. If you think you're protecting your finances by "investing" into some cardboard, the only person you're trying to fool is yourself.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Can't have fun every Friday with $600 sitting in a bank account.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

A board game, beer and friends cost a lot less than Magic. Your making a choice to play this game, you have other options.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Hobbies are expensive. You're lucky that this hobby retains any value at all. A lot don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Hobbies are expensive. You're lucky that this hobby retains any value at all. A lot don't.
    Completely agree.
    Related to this, I don't understand people who's always trying to sell their cards for at least the money they payed for them, regardless of their market value. I think this is one of the reasons why Legacy is dying...

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

A board game, beer and friends cost a lot less than Magic. Your making a choice to play this game, you have other options.
    You're right, I do have a choice. And I chose the hobby that has a policy that says I can expect a significant return (maybe a little more, maybe a little less, but not significantly less) on the money I put in.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    And for Legacy, it's a feature not a bug.

Sep 2015
    Shrewsbury, UK

The only reason cards are worth anything is due to demand from players. Investing in cards seems, to me, to not be the most profitable thing to be doing with your hard earned money. It's a game first after all and I think that gets lost sometimes.

I've bought into modern and legacy in a big way, and I would have no issue with my cards betting worth nothing because of reprints. If that means that more people start playing than I'm all for it.

Hell if it was down to me I'd put in a gradual phase out of the reserved list over the next 5 years. Gives people plenty of time to sell up if that's what they want to do. I mean its not like homarid shaman is too powerful that it should never get a reprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    As someone who owns many cards that are getting devalued by reprints, I say, bring it on. This kind of aggressive policy helps make sure people can actually play. People still buy packs, which still have an msrp, so there is a minimum price point. Above that, it's far better for the game if cards max out at $20 on the high end.

Of course, there is always the reserve list of you simply must own cards that won't get reprinted.
    I am not sure you own that many cards that you paid a high price for. If you bought an underground sea for 200 dollars and it dropped to 20 dollars you would be mad.

If you are not mad, than there are many people who would be happy to buy your collection for 10 cents on the dollar.

Magic is not expensive. You can buy thousands of cards for like 20 bucks on ebay.

Modern and Legacy are expensive. These formats are earned through years of collecting. You have to pull your dues. Contrary to the media propaganda, you are not owed anything in life. If you are a new player, there is a constructed format for you. It's called standard and if you don't want to spend that much on standard, you can play commander, draft, planechase, kitchen table etc ..... Hell you can play pauper and any tier one deck for 30-40 bucks.

I don't even play or own a single planechase card, but I feel sorry for anyone who paid 400 dollars to collect those previous sets, since you can now get it for 100.

These are all Wotc cash grabs. They could just as easily print new planechase cards for new players and maybe reprint a few of the old ones. But instead they decide to steal from the collectors yet again. There are some people here who don't care. Maybe your sitting on Beta power which you know they can't reprint, maybe you don't have that many good cards to begin with. But overall, it is obvious that Wotc is now serving the Hasboro shareholders. I still find it funny that many people seem to really care how much Wizards of the Coast is making and everyone seems so concerned with Wizard's financial well being.

For once I wish players would look out for themselves and for the store-owners who survive on selling singles. That's right did you know that most LGS's would fail selling just booster packs. They make like 10 bucks per box after competing with online vendors. Any store owner who bought into plane chase sealed or open just lost a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by and3h View Post
    The only reason cards are worth anything is due to demand from players. Investing in cards seems, to me, to not be the most profitable thing to be doing with your hard earned money. It's a game first after all and I think that gets lost sometimes.

I've bought into modern and legacy in a big way, and I would have no issue with my cards betting worth nothing because of reprints. If that means that more people start playing than I'm all for it.

Hell if it was down to me I'd put in a gradual phase out of the reserved list over the next 5 years. Gives people plenty of time to sell up if that's what they want to do. I mean its not like homarid shaman is too powerful that it should never get a reprint.

If they phased out the reserve list in 5 years, no one would buy. Why would anyone buy any cards that were going off the reserved list? That does not give anyone time to sell. You would only be able to sell to noobs who had no idea that the reserve list would go away. Who wants to pay 200 dollars for a card that will be worthless in 5 years. Just think about it. Would you buy a single card that in 5 years that will be worthless.

This is a collectible card game. And if you have no issue with your cards being worthless, no one is stopping you from selling your collection really cheap so that a new player can get in. But those of us who paid 400 dollars for their modern deck would like to keep it that way. I mean a 20 percent hit now and then is okay, but worthless???

In case it is not clear, I am not against reprints. The game needs reprints to survive. Responsible reprints are good for the game.

What I am against is cash grabs by Wotc and their shareholders. They pretend to be "for the people". They love it when players don't care that their collections are being reprinted to death. They love those players the most. If they could, they would eliminate Standard, Legacy and Modern for draft. Every week you pay 16 bucks for draft to have fun and then you have to buy a new deck again every week. After 300-400 dollars per year, you do it all over again the next year. In the end they want you to have nothing to show for your collection. If they could get away with that, they would. You see no other game on the planet get's away with how much money Wotc can extract from it's player base. You only do so, because in the back of your mind you know that your cards could be worth something. And they will as long as the player base is vigilant from Wotc cash grabs.

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by dragonwisdom View Post
    Just think about it. Would you buy a single card that in 5 years that will be worthless.
    If your a standard player yes.

The list is constricting the format. If prices get to high people will just stop playing period. We need to find a release valve.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

If your a standard player yes.

The list is constricting the format. If prices get to high people will just stop playing period. We need to find a release valve.

Standard cards are not completely worthless. All those Urza cards were once standard cards right? Once the secondary market crashes, so does Wotc as a game. Many of you forgot chronicles or were not around for it. MTG was on life support back then due to the collapse of the secondary market.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by dragonwisdom View Post
    If they phased out the reserve list in 5 years, no one would buy. Why would anyone buy any cards that were going off the reserved list? That does not give anyone time to sell. You would only be able to sell to noobs who had no idea that the reserve list would go away. Who wants to pay 200 dollars for a card that will be worthless in 5 years. Just think about it. Would you buy a single card that in 5 years that will be worthless.

This is a collectible card game. And if you have no issue with your cards being worthless, no one is stopping you from selling your collection really cheap so that a new player can get in. But those of us who paid 400 dollars for their modern deck would like to keep it that way. I mean a 20 percent hit now and then is okay, but worthless???
    This is totally ridiculous, dood. The whole fucking Standard format is build on chase rares/mythics which are worthless 5 years later and people still pay absurd prices to get them.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    This is totally ridiculous, dood. The whole fucking Standard format is build on chase rares/mythics which are worthless 5 years later and people still pay absurd prices to get them.

Try this as an experiment. Pay 500 dollars per year in standard. Than after the year give your cards away to a new player. I mean if your point is so valid, please try that out.

Here is another food for thought.

But what if Wizards printed every card 4x MTG for any set and sold it like the game Dominion for 40 bucks.

Would you pay 500 dollar a year for that product. Hopefully the answer is no. There needs to be balance for a collectible card game.

If I thought I could trust Wizards, I
    could see an end to the reserve list. But I don't trust them anymore. They are now beholden to their shareholders. And even if I trusted Rosewater, what happens when he dies. All it takes is one greedy CEO and your collection is done.

Mar 2013

Pay for Standard... No thanks. I won't touch that dumpster fire.

For the record, I hand out a lot of Standard cards. I draft, I very rarely keep what I draft. I have enough junk already in my home.

Thread Information