Page 334 of 343 FirstFirst ... 234284324330331332333334335336337338 ... LastLast
Results 6,661 to 6,680 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Art makes for quick identification of cards and a smoother game play. In fact for most of Legacy I feel you could play the game with just the cards art without any text or Mana cost and most of the experienced players would have no issue.
    The number of judge calls I have received courtesy of all-foreign decks at competitive-REL events suggests otherwise
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I agree with the art thing. Sometimes I do need clarification on odd interaction with opposing foreign stuff, but generally it's fine. Invocations do slow me down though because they all look the same and I need to attempt to decipher the stupid font they chose to figure out what is being cast against me, but maybe it's just inexperience in not seeing those eye sores enough. But since they are so rare I probably won't ever see them that much. What I'm trying to say is that invocations are aids in cardboard form
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I agree with the art thing. Sometimes I do need clarification on odd interaction with opposing foreign stuff, but generally it's fine. Invocations do slow me down though because they all look the same and I need to attempt to decipher the stupid font they chose to figure out what is being cast against me, but maybe it's just inexperience in not seeing those eye sores enough. But since they are so rare I probably won't ever see them that much. What I'm trying to say is that invocations are aids in cardboard form
    what really pisses me about art/border change is that the ease of recognition was one of the arguments for initial frame change... then we get art changes for no other than financial reasons than infinite boarder changes for sake of doesntmatteranymore easy short/mid term marketing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post

Mox Diamond being bought out again.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    140x Relentless Rats
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bleiweiss
    I wish that Wizards would have just gone ahead and done away with the Reserved List entirely. It is nothing but a blight on the game and one that long outlived its purpose. [...] I am wholeheartedly in favor of getting rid of the Reserved List and reprinting higher-dollar staple cards from EDH and Legacy. Pete Hoefling the owner of StarCityGames.com agrees with my point of view as well.
    - Ben Bleiweiss, SCG General Manager, Feb 2010

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerLewis View Post
    Mox Diamond being bought out again.
    Are these worth more than real diamonds yet?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Zllig View Post
    Are these worth more than real diamonds yet?
    They are, because you didn't mention karat
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Nether Voids are disappearing everywhere

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

I'm getting back into the game and I've been putting together a couple decks. Prices are pretty bad, as most of you are aware. I made a spreadsheet a couple years ago of all staples and playables of the format to be my future buylist or goal of cards I wanted to acquire and posted it here. Anyway, I just found it and thought it was hilarious how some the prices have changed in a span of just over two years. Some are good from reprints but damn some have spiked. List.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Soooooo ... foil Mox Diamond jumped from 120€ to 500$ overnight thanks to a buyout of less than a dozen on TCG it seems. Ridiculous.

I guess I will put aside ~16 grand and buy up all LEDs this weekend, just to show how stupid easy to manipulate the current market it. Will be fun to see how everyone reacts if a RL card without promos is suddenly on shortage and priced like Unlimited Moxen. You have 2 days. Enjoy.
    Glad I picked up a Jet on Wednesday!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Abyss buyout is over. I saw about 30 listed from one seller over the last 3 days. I reported to mkm in case they want to try to manage some of this behavior.
    -rob

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Jak View Post
    I'm getting back into the game and I've been putting together a couple decks. Prices are pretty bad, as most of you are aware. I made a spreadsheet a couple years ago of all staples and playables of the format to be my future buylist or goal of cards I wanted to acquire and posted it here. Anyway, I just found it and thought it was hilarious how some the prices have changed in a span of just over two years. Some are good from reprints but damn some have spiked. List.
    Welcome back!

Also, Bone Flute made the spreadsheet?

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Welcome back!

Also, Bone Flute made the spreadsheet?
    Thank you, ESG!

Haha I have no idea why it would be there. I haven’t updated it in a long time. I had started adding whatever random stuff I saw from mtgtop8 and threads here, so it had to of showed up somewhere. Or I got trolled.

Man, with the way prices are rising recently I'm half-tempted to just sell my entire collection. I think I'd make something like a 200% profit on what I paid for my collection if I just dumped it all onto an online buylist... But I'm scared I'd be missing out on even more if I get rid of it now.

Turns out buying all those Kaladesh/Zendikar Masterpieces/Expeditions when they first came out wasn't a bad idea.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

I am very interested how this buyoutmadness is gonna end. I think there are alot of different peolpe trying to make money of the RL. Different people choosing different cards, I mean basically every card on the RL is spiking. Playabillity is only a marginal factor. Sure looks like a buble to me cause current the self fullfilling prophecy works: "Buy cards on the RL and you are sure to make money cause they are rising"
    Last edited by MorphBerlin; 05-02-2018 at 11:05 AM.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

The mantra of "don't worry the RL cards are gold" is very similar to a lot of other precrash markets. Wonder why that is?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by MorphBerlin View Post
    I am very interested how this buyoutmadness is gonna end... Sure looks like a bauble to me
    Hah! A bauble... I like that.

Two months ago I was officially priced out of my goal of collecting a single copy of non-power from the earliest sets. So I've mentally come to terms with selling that part of my collection. I'm currently joining every Facebook group I can that acts as a marketplace for these cards.

I'm now dancing on the razors edge of 'waiting for the value to increase' and 'selling before others like me are similarly priced out'.

I don't think the buyout madness will end in a burst bubble... I suspect prices will continue to rise until the audience that is interested in such items shrinks and makes it difficult to turn cardboard into cash in a reliably quick and easy manner. At that time it becomes a poorer 'investment' and prices will somewhat stabilize and possibly contract. There's gotta be a point where someone who bought out Gwendlyn Di Corci realizes they'll never sell their 50 copies for $150 each...

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Hah! A bauble... I like that.

Two months ago I was officially priced out of my goal of collecting a single copy of non-power from the earliest sets. So I've mentally come to terms with selling that part of my collection. I'm currently joining every Facebook group I can that acts as a marketplace for these cards.

I'm now dancing on the razors edge of 'waiting for the value to increase' and 'selling before others like me are similarly priced out'.

I don't think the buyout madness will end in a burst bubble... I suspect prices will continue to rise until the audience that is interested in such items shrinks and makes it difficult to turn cardboard into cash in a reliably quick and easy manner. At that time it becomes a poorer 'investment' and prices will somewhat stabilize and possibly contract. There's gotta be a point where someone who bought out Gwendlyn Di Corci realizes they'll never sell their 50 copies for $150 each...
    Once upon a time I was trying to get playsets of every thing and I started with the oldest sets. I never did get all the way through Arabian Nights though, but I got close, because I never did manage to focus on just the one. So, now I have stupid things like three Libraries and other junk like three Nether Voids, which are stupidly expensive now. Thing is, while my plan will never come to fruition, I don't have any real incentive to sell. My job pays my bills, so, why sell now?

Even if the bubble bursts, I don't care, because I never bought them to make money, I bought them to play Magic.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Once upon a time I was trying to get playsets of every thing and I started with the oldest sets. I never did get all the way through Arabian Nights though, but I got close, because I never did manage to focus on just the one. So, now I have stupid things like three Libraries and other junk like three Nether Voids, which are stupidly expensive now. Thing is, while my plan will never come to fruition, I don't have any real incentive to sell. My job pays my bills, so, why sell now?

Even if the bubble bursts, I don't care, because I never bought them to make money, I bought them to play Magic.
    Still, if you miss out on an opportunity to maximize your return on these cards you missed out on a lot of extra cash. Sure, you have a job to pay your bills but missing out on thousands of dollars still sucks.
    - 'Pathy' on MTGO
    - Eastern PA player

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

you can dump the 2 other libraries to finish playsets of other old cards. :)
    -rob

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Once upon a time I was trying to get playsets of every thing and I started with the oldest sets. I never did get all the way through Arabian Nights though, but I got close, because I never did manage to focus on just the one.
    Buy a booster box of Arabian Nights.

The Beauty of these old expansion sets is that EVERY Rare is in EVERY booster box ONCE. Back then you bought 4 boxes and had your playsets of every Rare.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Thread Information