Page 323 of 343 FirstFirst ... 223273313319320321322323324325326327333 ... LastLast
Results 6,441 to 6,460 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

How many people at a legacy PT would actually own the cards they are playing though? Could be due to SCG predicting more eyeballs on the format but to me it seems more like a coincidence.

Glad I got my beta lands duals instead of stupid blue cards though, seas are for chumps.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    This was brought to my attention and is likely the reason for the hike:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...lds-2017-07-19

Legacy in the PT.
    So why did SCG jack up the prices, just before the PT announcement did come out? This seems suspicious as hell.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    How many people at a legacy PT would actually own the cards they are playing though?
    I'd guess only a very small amount. Pretty sure the majority of "Pro" players dislike Legacy quite a bit.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I'd guess only a very small amount. Pretty sure the majority of "Pro" players dislike Legacy quite a bit.
    Citation needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    Citation needed.
    Anecdotal evidence only, happy to be proven wrong.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    You're confusing that one with Standard - the format artificially maintained with tournament support by WotC. Let's be honest - who would keep playing this PoS if it had Legacy-tier tournament support? Not many.

I've heard that pros don't like Legacy simply because it's hard to test for; the format is so wide and can be very random so innovation can be difficult. That's why so many of them just pick up a Delver deck or, more commonly, Show and Tell.

You of course get the Legacy experts that pick up Lands, Miracles, or get something new with Leovold BUG, but typically I've heard pros will just pick up a tried and true safe staple list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I've heard that pros don't like Legacy simply because it's hard to test for; the format is so wide and can be very random so innovation can be difficult. That's why so many of them just pick up a Delver deck or, more commonly, Show and Tell.

You of course get the Legacy experts that pick up Lands, Miracles, or get something new with Leovold BUG, but typically I've heard pros will just pick up a tried and true safe staple list.
    Sounds like they're a bunch of suckers.

I don't know about the exact % of pros that like Legacy, but I've seen Owen Turtenwald, Reid Duke, Patrick Chapin, LSV, and Paolo Vitor Damo Da Rosa all go on record in some form or another saying that they enjoy Legacy.

It's Modern that the Pros hate among the formats.

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Reid Duke and Andrea Mengucci post Legacy videos pretty regularly.

I think there are two types of career pros - the ones who are all-in on the grind and devote all their time preparing for Pro Tours and Grand Prix (Standard, Modern, Draft), and those who just love the game and happen to be damn good so they still play their favorite formats when they can (Legacy, Vintage, Cube), much of the latter group being people who've played the game a very long time.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post

lol that must be a joke. Very little changes in legacy and thus it is easy to learn. When a set releases, in legacy you get 2-3 new cards, in standard you get like 2-3 new decks. Sure everything rotates eventually but after playing for a few years you've learned more decks than you'd ever need to know about in legacy.

Innovation isn't difficult because the format is random, it is difficult because the format is mature. The cards used in all decks are among the BEST in the game. You cant get away with playing ANYTHING that is subpar. So sure, its easy to come up with a tier 3 deck, but there is very little opportunity to design a new deck. New decks are driven by the 2-3 cards each set that enter the legacy pool.

Legacy i think, is more about knowing the format and out playing your opponent than having a superior deck.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Site Contributor

Jul 2009
    Philadelphia, PA

I get the reserved list inflates prices, but aren’t some of the duel prices skewed in the wrong direction? For example, Living Plane is $153 but all the lesser used duels are below $90 ? (taiga/scrubland/badlands/plateau) And these cards are actually used. (well except plateau) Anyone have an explanation?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
    I get the reserved list inflates prices, but aren’t some of the duel prices skewed in the wrong direction? For example, Living Plane is $153 but all the lesser used duels are below $90 ? (taiga/scrubland/badlands/plateau) And these cards are actually used. (well except plateau) Anyone have an explanation?
    Old School. There's a deck that uses Living Plane, as well as various decks that use lesser known cards on the RL.

http://www.wak-wak.se/9394/archetypes
    For those interested in the latest Ancient decks (and the format in general) visit: http://ancientmtgdecks.blogspot.ca/

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
    You have to compare apples to apples!

It's a Legend's rare with a powerful-but-unique ability (so compare it's price to Eureka, Invoke Prejudice, All Hallow's Eve, and Mirror Universe) that doesn't see any real play in 60-card formats.

The closest card to Living Plane specifies that all Forests become 1/1's. It is a collectible and sees light EDH play in combination with Linvala, Keeper of Silence. It might also get some action in Old School (93/94), but I'm not sure because I do not follow that format.

Edit - Teluin confirmed it sees 93/94 play. My work computer nearly blew up when I clicked that link... Can anyone post the list that plays Living Plane? I'd be curious to see how it is used.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Edit - Teluin confirmed it sees 93/94 play. My work computer nearly blew up when I clicked that link... Can anyone post the list that plays Living Plane? I'd be curious to see how it is used.

That's what he was linking to but that site is not really link friendly in formatting.

Re: suspicion of SCG acting on tip of a Legacy portion, the answer from Ben Bleiwess : https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/co...today/dkfxcmq/

And just a "random" excerpt :

8) As always, SCG is in favor of abolishing the Reserve List. We'd rather sell 4x Underground Sea for $100 than one for $400. More people playing = more cards sold = better health for the game long-term. I believe WOTC has made it abundantly clear that they aren't even willing to address the Reserve List at this time - but if they ever were, I'd be happy to lead the charge in favor of getting rid of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    140x Relentless Rats
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bleiweiss
    I wish that Wizards would have just gone ahead and done away with the Reserved List entirely. It is nothing but a blight on the game and one that long outlived its purpose. [...] I am wholeheartedly in favor of getting rid of the Reserved List and reprinting higher-dollar staple cards from EDH and Legacy. Pete Hoefling the owner of StarCityGames.com agrees with my point of view as well.
    - Ben Bleiweiss, SCG General Manager, Feb 2010

The GP announcements today pretty much confirmed that they knew. A PT won't move prices but 6 GPs in the first half of the year featuring at least some Legacy sure could.

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

When it comes to cards like Living Plane, it's one of the many cards from Legends that's been subject to buyouts due to being Reserved List and also the low print run of the original expansions. That's half the reason obscure cards from Arabian Nights are sky-high in price, too. And as said before, 93/94 demand has also shot stuff up a bit and the format has given speculators a number of targets.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Urza's Bauble now $5-10.

https://www.mtgstocks.com/prints/15054

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    That seems high to me.
    Last edited by Millay; 10-19-2021 at 05:51 PM.

Thread Information