Page 226 of 343 FirstFirst ... 126176216222223224225226227228229230236276326 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,520 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    More like 50+%, it's the most played card after Brainstorm and FoW.
    Yeah, I was too conservative, I wrote 1/3 and edited it to 1/4 with UW Miracles and Storm in mind, completely forgotting that Waste.dec are anything from Goblins to RUG, BUG, DnT, and you meet them every other round.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Plus they're the perfect shape for picking up salsa/guacamole!
    Uhm... I don't get it.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Yeah, I was too conservative, I wrote 1/3 and edited it to 1/4 with UW Miracles and Storm in mind, completely forgotting that Waste.dec are anything from Goblins to RUG, BUG, DnT, and you meet them every other round.

Uhm... I don't get it.
    Every FTV foil I've ever seen is curled so bad you could fix a wobbly table with it. I'm sure you can press it out over time, but those and any other "premium" precon foils just seem so much worse than the regular ones.

We actually had a guy almost not make top 8 this weekend because he'd just picked up a FTV Urborg and it was so bad the judges could cut to it every time. Had to trade it off on the spot to keep playing. Also, that's a $40 card now...I need a stock ticker to keep up with this game.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Every FTV foil I've ever seen is curled so bad you could fix a wobbly table with it. I'm sure you can press it out over time, but those and any other "premium" precon foils just seem so much worse than the regular ones.

We actually had a guy almost not make top 8 this weekend because he'd just picked up a FTV Urborg and it was so bad the judges could cut to it every time. Had to trade it off on the spot to keep playing. Also, that's a $40 card now...I need a stock ticker to keep up with this game.
    Oh, now I get it. Yeah, one of the reasons why I dislike foils in general, but those premium ones are especially horrible.
    The prices spirale is seriously annoying. I remember Tomb of yoghurt for half the price and it can't be more than a year or two. This is ridiculous and although I know that it has a lot to do with game's popularity, I'd still love if WotC print another MMA at the very least. That, or maybe the popularity may drop again, but well, prices won't drop with it, so why should I care. Mainly hen the prices were only one of several reasons why I dismantled my collection.

Yup, it's why I'm trading off all my Promo Cryptic Commands right now. They are just barely starting to show the signs that they will curl, so I can get rid of them at NM and at a premium since it's the middle of the modern season. Got rid of 2 of them for $80 a piece this past week.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Wasteland* isn't as played as BS? I guess it isn't in most combo decks. Still the card is incredibly ubiquitous.

Also yeah Urborg being that high is crazy. Such a sweet sweet card, but I may just end up trading/selling mine...
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Nov 2010
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Shawon View Post
    Seeing as how FTV Jace has been $100 for months now, I decided to pick that card while shopping with my prize credit Sunday. Despite it being banned in Modern, I think it's hella underpriced. Get them now at these prices while you can, guys, that's my opinion.
    How is it underpriced? It's only a niche card in legacy and as you say banned in modern. There are plenty of copies with the reprint (which is ugly as fuck). You should have spent your prize credit on something more playable.
    mtgpimp

It's under priced. Jace 2.0 is the single most powerful card in MtG history. Next most powerful is Griselbrand, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Quote Originally Posted by jamesh View Post
    How is it underpriced? It's only a niche card in legacy and as you say banned in modern. There are plenty of copies with the reprint (which is ugly as fuck). You should have spent your prize credit on something more playable.
    It's underpriced because Jace, the Mind Sculptor is still the best planeswalker in any Eternal format, including Vintage.

There are plenty of copies of Black Lotus in circulation, too, so saying that there are plenty of copies of Jace to suggest that the price tag is going to stay at $100 for the long term is probably the dumbest thing I've read in this thread. I'll go out on a limb and say it is actually the dumbest thing I've read in this thread. You earn an achievement, feel proud.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Hollywood, c'mon, man. You're too seasoned to fall into conspiracy theories.

One area of focus for SCG this go-round is weaving a story around the Players Championship. This is why the commentators frequently mention the leaderboard and grant more camera time to big-name players. Another element has been Nick Miller's profile series, which started with Kent Ketter and then covered Eric Rill. SCG is basically following the advice espoused by John Butler in his exhaustive article series "How to Improve Magic Coverage," which SCG published last year. The deck tech of Dredge has more to do with who's piloting the deck rather than the fact it's Dredge. Dave Thomas has had great finishes with the deck before and was 4-0 at the time of the deck tech. That is why he was picked. In fact, I would guess that YOU would have a good chance of getting a deck tech at an SCG Open for the same reasons.
    It's not the "Deck Tech" so much as the price increase on Ichorids lately. I mean, how many times does a deck need to be featured over and over again?

It just seems egregious that, no matter the reason, a series called "Deck Tech" should be reserved for innovation - no matter the record of the pilot - but still the same old boring shit pops up. If someone has the balls to pay $40 to bring their own creation, reward them for it.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    It's not the "Deck Tech" so much as the price increase on Ichorids lately. I mean, how many times does a deck need to be featured over and over again?

It just seems egregious that, no matter the reason, a series called "Deck Tech" should be reserved for innovation - no matter the record of the pilot - but still the same old boring shit pops up. If someone has the balls to pay $40 to bring their own creation, reward them for it.
    I agree to some degree. There's three things stopping that though - 1) There's not really that many off the wall decks being played, 2) you have to be X-0 after 4 or 5 rounds, tough for a brew, and 3) you have to make yourself known to the commentators, usually be being a well-known local at least. It's almost a perfect storm of things that have to go right. They do pop up occasionally though - Boss Infect, Turbo Depths, and UWR Landstill off the top of my head from the past 6 months.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

@JMS discussion: While I expect him to rise over the course of time, I would expect reprints in some form sooner or later since JMS is still the Planeswalker and he will sell packs.

It's an iconic money card and if FTV: 20 has shown anything, then that they're willing to reprint it, even if it isn't currently Modern-legal.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Honestly right now, liliana is better than jace in legacy in my opinion....
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesh View Post
    Many Legacy decks play 2-4 and many vintage decks play 4. It's an extremely powerful card used in almost as many slots as every legal format allows.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    I agree to some degree. There's three things stopping that though - 1) There's not really that many off the wall decks being played, 2) you have to be X-0 after 4 or 5 rounds, tough for a brew, and 3) you have to make yourself known to the commentators, usually be being a well-known local at least. It's almost a perfect storm of things that have to go right. They do pop up occasionally though - Boss Infect, Turbo Depths, and UWR Landstill off the top of my head from the past 6 months.
    But see, therein lies the problem: Bias. Star City Games is biased when it comes to their choices as to what and who they put on camera. A lot of that has to do with the exact reasons you mentioned, which is sad. Just because the folks that show up at these events don't hop a flight to the next Open doesn't mean they should be inherently disqualified from unveiling something new and interesting to eager minds because they're 2-2. I'm sure out of hundreds of players there's at least a handful that brought their own brews to compete with that are legitimately competitive. Standings should factor in zero percent in that regard, because sometimes it takes a lot of wrongs to make a right - as long as they plant the seeds for creativity and innovation, it doesn't matter.

I just don't like seeing the same faces and same old shit being rehashed a hundred times over just because one person changed one card in a list, even if it's notable. It's about being a fanboy. It's about being an elitist. It's the powerful personalities. That's what wins you over on the Open Series, and that just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I'm alone here and extremely old-fashioned because I've been playing this game since I was twelve (being thirty-two now), but I am much more interested to see what an intelligent, young kid is bringing to the fold as opposed to reading about "pros'" (eye roll) cookie-cutter Reanimator or StoneBlade decks.

Honest to God - if S.C. ever asked me to do a Deck Tech, I wouldn't do it. I'm a part-timer these days who plays in big events when he can being a new father. I want to see what fresh, eager minds have to show because they're the future of this game. Somewhere, someplace there's a kid out there who is trying to make a name for himself doing the best he can with what he has. Those are the people I want to see on camera, and those are the people I feel should be brought more into the mix to develop a format that uses just about every Magic card in existence. I'm for the every man; the innovators.

The people who aren't afraid to lose to evolve the format.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

I agree with Hollywood; I don't care if a deck is 1-3 or 2-2, as long as it's interesting, innovative, and lays the foundation for improvements and potential tweaks, then I want to see those decks over some rehashed deck that we've seen a thousand times before.
    Discussing the impact of True-Name Nemesis on Legacy:

Quote Originally Posted by 2Rach View Post
    And format warping itself isn't necessarily a bad thing for that matter.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    But see, therein lies the problem: Bias. Star City Games is biased when it comes to their choices as to what and who they put on camera. A lot of that has to do with the exact reasons you mentioned, which is sad. Just because the folks that show up at these events don't hop a flight to the next Open doesn't mean they should be inherently disqualified from unveiling something new and interesting to eager minds because they're 2-2. I'm sure out of hundreds of players there's at least a handful that brought their own brews to compete with that are legitimately competitive. Standings should factor in zero percent in that regard, because sometimes it takes a lot of wrongs to make a right - as long as they plant the seeds for creativity and innovation, it doesn't matter.

I just don't like seeing the same faces and same old shit being rehashed a hundred times over just because one person changed one card in a list, even if it's notable. It's about being a fanboy. It's about being an elitist. It's the powerful personalities. That's what wins you over on the Open Series, and that just rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I'm alone here and extremely old-fashioned because I've been playing this game since I was twelve (being thirty-two now), but I am much more interested to see what an intelligent, young kid is bringing to the fold as opposed to reading about "pros'" (eye roll) cookie-cutter Reanimator or StoneBlade decks.

Honest to God - if S.C. ever asked me to do a Deck Tech, I wouldn't do it. I'm a part-timer these days who plays in big events when he can being a new father. I want to see what fresh, eager minds have to show because they're the future of this game. Somewhere, someplace there's a kid out there who is trying to make a name for himself doing the best he can with what he has. Those are the people I want to see on camera, and those are the people I feel should be brought more into the mix to develop a format that uses just about every Magic card in existence. I'm for the every man; the innovators.

The people who aren't afraid to lose to evolve the format.
    Amen.

This week on SCG: 4 writers milk the same decklist with their own personal "innovations" and tell you why you should sleeve up their version for the next big event!

What happened to content like "who's the beatdown" and other quality pieces of actual strategy? When did we devolve into 1500 words about why you should run a second Jitte or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    Truthfully it's their dime. I can be 4-0 with DooStill ... but it's their money and their overhead. Why show me Doo'ing in a Boros Battleshaper when it won't make them any money? Also they are incentivized to put their beards on camera because they've committed to building a stable of writers, bearded casuals, and 'personalities'. The fact that tokens are being printed with people on them and that humans desire them is startling but apparently real.

I don't know how much science of selling really goes into it, I find it hard to believe an on camera choice is made based on the salable mana base.

I just find myself anchored to a time where the game used to be fun - and I think you can be creative and have fun at the same time. I would much rather see a Didgeridoo on the board churning out Battleshapers than "Fetch, Island, Delver, go."

I agree 1,000% but the days of having an interesting somewhat unknown 75 across from you are pretty much gone. Especially at larger events. The Delver issue is just a mistake, the most aggressive, oppressive on the play turn one play since pre strip mine restriction black vise is a blue creature. That wasn't going to end well.

a) 75% of the legacy SCG players don't play much legacy outside of the SCGs
    b) they own a legacy deck (or are borrowing) they don't have a giant pool of eternal cards from which to brew
    c) $40 is alot for some young beards, and they aren't blowing it on Cavern of Animar ... granted some still blow $40 on burn or $40 on a deck they don't know how to operate but I think they think they have a shot despite not knowing what priority is or how a Trinisphere works

the 9 rounds would certainly be more interesting if you didn't know the 75 two turns into your match. Granted some people surprise you and play 1 Dark Confidant.

Just anecdotally related to the discussion on deck techs, I've been x-0 or x-1 in rounds 5-7 of Opens quite a few times with my Jace Lands deck, which in my opinion is a pretty innovative and interesting take on the deck, and I've never been approached by SCG for either a feature match or a deck tech. You would think they'd be happy to feature something like this (it runs quite a few stupidly expensive cards that they could hype and sell) but I think the primary reason is I'm not a pro or a grinder, my name isn't well-known, my deck doesn't fit into the SCG meta of Delver/Griselbrand decks, and therefore it doesn't play into the image they're selling.

Thread Information