Page 269 of 343 FirstFirst ... 169219259265266267268269270271272273279319 ... LastLast
Results 5,361 to 5,380 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Vatija Mlohavich
    May 2010
    Croatia

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

Tendo ice bridge 17$ what the hell

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    PTT (Formerly of MTT) - We make Champion

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    Tendo ice bridge 17$ what the hell

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Guessing Eldrazi. Because that's what I was gonna use it for before I cut down to two colors and started using painlands instead.

Ancestral Vision, Past in Flames and Caverns of Despair (wtf seriously) buyouts.

This crap is getting old. Cards rising in price is one thing, asshole speculators doing buyouts to manipulate the market every single week is not making this more fun.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

Quote Originally Posted by Bosque View Post
    Ancestral Vision, Past in Flames and Caverns of Despair (wtf seriously) buyouts.

This crap is getting old. Cards rising in price is one thing, asshole speculators doing buyouts to manipulate the market every single week is not making this more fun.
    Getting old? It hasn't even started yet!

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Caverns of Despair was slightly increasing upward for a while. There's no way anyone in their right mind is paying over $30 for that card. I doubt people will even buy them for 20. Fun fact: I finally gave up and buylisted 10 Storm Worlds to CardKingdom for $13/9 apiece (NM/LP), and someone finally bought the MP playset I had on ebay for $55 (after I gradually reduced the price from $100 week after week). It will never be a $5 card anymore, but it won't be a $20 card either. Same thing here with Caverns.

The problem here is that some people list extremely high on TCG on purpose; so that the Med price is weighted upwards and their cards carry more value. This is an issue that TCG needs to deal with when using their pricing algorithm; even including a simple standard deviation would be a tool that would help players gauge the accurate market value of a card. The fact that some idiot might actually buy their $100 Caverns or $100 foil Ancient Grudge is just gravy.

Ancestral Vision was moving up slowly since Aaron tweeted that they were tossing around the idea of unbanning it, which seems to me more likely than not; e.g., primary blue deck banned, and if B/x Eldrazi makes a good showing, Processors are a natural counter to Suspend spells. These are both speculative increases, but what's the difference between players buying more copies of a card they intend to sell and dealers increasing their buylist prices on cards they have high confidence in? It's really just the same thing.

This is a more natural phenomenon; increased demand for a card causes the price to go up due to the scarce supply. These prices are more likely to hold. It's happening a lot more frequently due to the wild open Modern format, but after next weekend when the Pro Tour is set in stone and a more steady metagame develops, this won't be nearly as common an issue. If Wizards keeps making January bans to shake up Modern before the Pro Tour, expect the beginning of every year to have wild price jumps.

If you don't stay educated about the market, you're going to miss out on getting cards when they're cheap vs. after they've spiked. The liquidity of MTG cards means that even if you buy something you don't need (on the chance you might need it in the future), you can get rid of it easily. Even if you are opposed to speculating (or as I like to call it, "armchair dealing"), you hedge yourself and your own interests (and pocket) against the tendencies of the market.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    The problem here is that some people list extremely high on TCG on purpose; so that the Med price is weighted upwards and their cards carry more value. This is an issue that TCG needs to deal with when using their pricing algorithm; even including a simple standard deviation would be a tool that would help players gauge the accurate market value of a card. The fact that some idiot might actually buy their $100 Caverns or $100 foil Ancient Grudge is just gravy.
    If you don't stay educated about the market, you're going to miss out on getting cards when they're cheap vs. after they've spiked. The liquidity of MTG cards means that even if you buy something you don't need (on the chance you might need it in the future), you can get rid of it easily. Even if you are opposed to speculating (or as I like to call it, "armchair dealing"), you hedge yourself and your own interests (and pocket) against the tendencies of the market.
    People really need to understand both of these. It's so easy to manipulate the "supposed" market pricing and the naive get gouged. More importantly, people don't pay attention and then get a case of the "feel" bads when they miss out (I've been there many times). The only way to protect yourself is to either purchase a playset of everything and never move it or to keep up with trends and have the confidence to buy a card before it becomes a spec.

It's fucking depressing what goes on with this game nowadays. MaRo makes a really vague comment on something on twitter, and bam, 2 hours later 3-5 cards just got 5 times more expensive than a moment ago. Even modern, which was supposed to be an accessible eternal format has now an at least 600-800$ entry provided you want to play something competitive on a more than FNM level.

I was checking out some EDH stuff the other day and this stuff is mindboggling:

Cursecatcher is apparently a 15$ card
    Aether Vial is 40-50 bucks
    Relic of Progenitus is a 5 dollar common
    Not counting some absolute shit like Tybalt, barely any planeswalker is under 10$
    Peregrine Drake is 4 dollars
    Scalding Tarn is 90 bucks
    Phyrexian Altar is 25$

And the list goes on and on. Cross-format staples are starting at 40 dollars basically. I long for the times when you had deck like Psychatog and UG madness and the most expensive part of those decks were the playset of painlands at around 25-35 bucks. Nowadays it's 200-250 for Jace VP alone.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by Kage View Post
    It's fucking depressing what goes on with this game nowadays. MaRo makes a really vague comment on something on twitter, and bam, 2 hours later 3-5 cards just got 5 times more expensive than a moment ago. Even modern, which was supposed to be an accessible eternal format has now an at least 600-800$ entry provided you want to play something competitive on a more than FNM level.

Not counting some absolute shit like Tybalt, barely any planeswalker is under 10$
    Phyrexian Altar is 25$

And the list goes on and on. Cross-format staples are starting at 40 dollars basically. I long for the times when you had deck like Psychatog and UG madness and the most expensive part of those decks were the playset of painlands at around 25-35 bucks. Nowadays it's 200-250 for Jace VP alone.
    Sell your cards, use the money to buy liquor, and drink until you forget.

bruizar

Just buy foils of every playable and semi playable card upon new set release. Buy extras to trade in for old stuff. I bought Jace, Vryn's Prodigy at $8 (and got laughed at on this forum and salvation). Now, people are crying they missed out :).

I'd buy at least Thought-Knot Seer and foil Ulamog/Kozilek from the current set. Ulamog / Kozilek will be $100, and Thought-Knot Seer will be similar to Vendilion Clique. Warping Wails will also be very expensive in a few years. This set has a lot of good cards and will continue to provide speculation fuel for the next several years

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Kage View Post

It's been over $10 for two years. Compare the card's graph to that of FOW: http://www.mtgstocks.com/cards/2654 and http://www.mtgstocks.com/cards/10551. This is a perfectly natural curve shape for an uncommon with only one printing.

This is a victim of "Snapcaster syndrome"; high demand card is suppressed until an upcoming reprint set (MM2), and once spoiled the card is not reprinted, so the price spikes as a result. Simply put; they can't reprint all the Modern cards every time, so the ones that get reprinted go down but the ones that are reprinted go up.

This is a bit of a sharp spike, but it's due to it being a 4-of in a hot new Modern deck.

[quote]Not counting some absolute shit like Tybalt, barely any planeswalker is under 10$[/quotes]

Planeswalkers are so cool at the kitchen table. I've gotten "wows" at my foil DD Tybalt in my binder at prereleases. Not surprising.

It's long known that "free spells" are overpowered. A 3-mana reusable blink effect was printed, so any permanent that untaps more than that is an infinite mana two card combo.

Volcanic Island is 260. Good lands are good.

[quote]Phyrexian Altar is 25$[quote]

This one I'm not sure what the catalyst is, other than the generic explanation of low-supply high-demand casual card.

Yes, but at that time there weren't as many people playing the game. More players = more demand = higher prices.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Just buy foils of every playable and semi playable card upon new set release. Buy extras to trade in for old stuff. I bought Jace, Vryn's Prodigy at $8 (and got laughed at on this forum and salvation). Now, people are crying they missed out :).

I'd buy at least Thought-Knot Seer and foil Ulamog/Kozilek from the current set. Ulamog / Kozilek will be $100, and Thought-Knot Seer will be similar to Vendilion Clique. Warping Wails will also be very expensive in a few years. This set has a lot of good cards and will continue to provide speculation fuel for the next several years
    You can put together a full foil set of BFZ on MTGO for around $300. The 25 full-art foil lands that come with it are about $125 already, and then you get foil Ulamog, Gideon, Truths, Kiora, Ob Nix, Drana, battle/man lands etc. Probably not worth sinking your actual cash in but if you have extra tix/cards you don't need on MTGO you can cash it out and sit on it.

bruizar

It's long known that "free spells" are overpowered. A 3-mana reusable blink effect was printed, so any permanent that untaps more than that is an infinite mana two card combo.
    Counting down for rasputin dreamweaver to surge

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Counting down for rasputin dreamweaver to surge
    Right?!

bruizar

Right?!
    It hasn't caught on yet but I swear it's gonna be expensive once the speculators find out there's a new Eldrazi Displacer general in town. Legends, rare, and combos from the command zone with Eldrazi Displacer (foil Palinchron surged this week, peregrine drake too, but you have to assemble palinchron/drake and displacer whereas Rasputin is always available from the command zone and doesn't rely on lands)

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I guess this speculation fueled by the EDH Prophet of Kruphix ban?

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Ten...orn+Muse#paper

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Ancestral Visions is spiking, apparently Maro tweeted that they're going to test it for unbanning in Modern? Anyone know about this?
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Yea, he said with Twin gone its no longer on the hard no list. Thing is he gave a very light chance to the card from what I saw. More that they would give it a look and not that it was a sure thing.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Yea, he said with Twin gone its no longer on the hard no list. Thing is he gave a very light chance to the card from what I saw. More that they would give it a look and not that it was a sure thing.
    In other words: He drives up prices by firing sheer speculation. Isn't his and his turds job to keep the secondary market in check with reprints?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    In other words: He drives up prices by firing sheer speculation. Isn't his and his turds job to keep the secondary market in check with reprints?
    He answered a question posted to him. Not going to blame him for that. Hey if this year's rumoured Eternal Masters is real, maybe we get that reprint.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    While that would be nice, no, that isn't his job, or anyone else's.

His job is actually to make Hasbro's stock price rise, nothing more.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Ancestral Visions is spiking, apparently Maro tweeted that they're going to test it for unbanning in Modern? Anyone know about this?
    Does anyone else find it odd that the Duel Decks: Anthology version is spiking higher than the set veraion?

Thread Information