Page 277 of 343 FirstFirst ... 177227267273274275276277278279280281287327 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,540 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

There is no disincentive whatsoever. Buyouts can move tge market of anything pre-Alara, pretty much.

There is no reason not to pick up dirty cheap 93/94 playables at this point, stuff like Jalum Tome and LGD Relic Barrier. I'm not saying "buy them all!", but owning a set or 2 might prove useful. A set of these will cost you what, a few bucks each? Why not. It is too late for Fellwar Stone, but there are many more targets out there.

Power Artifact I don't see re-restricted, not very soon anyway. If the most recent tournament report on the old school blog is any indication, that is. His fellings echo mine on the deck: when it works, it feels terribly powerful, but half the time it ends up fizzling. "I was missing only 1 mana to untap the Monolith, but Chaos Orb / SInkhole made sure I could never untap it." That happens quite a bit. That or you have infinite mana but no sink.

There are a few old school cards I have on my radar, but as you guys know and understand, name dropping isn't going to help accessibility for anyone, so I'll refrain from now.

Nov 2010
    New Zealand

I'm interested to see how Old School develops. Will it be the tiny leaders of 2016? If it becomes more popular, I imagine people will be relaxed about introducing revised cards to the format. These cards are pretty old now anyway. Black border is one thing but paying a premium for unlimited is something I wouldn't do.
    mtgpimp

I really don't see Old School going anywhere. The draw of the format is the casual, beer-friendly nature of it all. No tournament scene needed. Speaking from personal experience, it replaced what used to be my weekly poker game when I found people who could play it. The format just doesn't have the same flash-in-the-pan feel that Tiny Leaders does...it's much more Commander-esque, and I think that'll be reflected in its staying power. A couple cards that are ubiquitous in the format that I'm shocked haven't spiked hard or harder are ANQ Mishra's Factories, ANQ Strip Mines, and most of all, ARN City of Brass. City in particular is in most all Old School decks and it's about impossible to find them in NM condition given how much the card was played back in the day (and therefore most ARN versions are beat to hell). While I'm excited about the format since it's an outlet to play with old cards, it's also made completing sets of those old expansions much more expensive than I'd like.

Feb 2012
    Tienen

Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I really don't see Old School going anywhere. The draw of the format is the casual, beer-friendly nature of it all. No tournament scene needed. Speaking from personal experience, it replaced what used to be my weekly poker game when I found people who could play it. The format just doesn't have the same flash-in-the-pan feel that Tiny Leaders does...it's much more Commander-esque, and I think that'll be reflected in its staying power. A couple cards that are ubiquitous in the format that I'm shocked haven't spiked hard or harder are ANQ Mishra's Factories, ANQ Strip Mines, and most of all, ARN City of Brass. City in particular is in most all Old School decks and it's about impossible to find them in NM condition given how much the card was played back in the day (and therefore most ARN versions are beat to hell). While I'm excited about the format since it's an outlet to play with old cards, it's also made completing sets of those old expansions much more expensive than I'd like.
    Tell me about it. Two years ago, I completed my UNL power, and I already had several of the UNL duals. I managed to pick up the missing ones quickly, and with the power, Time Vault, duals and Gauntlet already in my possession, I decided to ocmplete the set. The biggest ones still missing now are Armageddon, Winter Orb, Howling Mine and Wheel of Fortune. And then that stupid 93-94 crap happens. 80 cards missing until completion, most of them rares, and the effort became a whole lot more expensive.

Nov 2006
    London

Old School was fun for a while, but then you realize... the format (if you want to call it that) NEVER CHANGES. It's good for nostalgia, but it gets boring real fast. It's more of a niche collector obsession than a format, IMO.

That's not to say that some A/B/U/AN/ANTQ cards weren't undervalued (especially reserved list stuff), but some of the prices on UNL cards are getting a bit out of hand and they probably will end up dropping back down over time.

--

On another topic-- looks like Colorless Eldrazi is the real deal in legacy (or at least as good as MUD which is already a regular). For those who have all the MUD staples already (Wastes, Mishras, Caverns, Tombs, Cities, Chalices), when is the best time to buy the Eldrazi core if you want to convert your deck? After the predicted Modern ban? (Will it even matter given that it seems inevitable at this point and everyone knows it?) Would you buy any now? (perhaps Temples/Thorns?) How would this differ for foils?

It doesn't take much to turn 93/94 into 95 by introducing Ice Age and Homelands. Then 96, and so on. The format probably loses some of its nostalgia (and certainly it's innocence) with Urza's Block (if not Alliances). Then there's Old School Commander, etc. it doesn't take much to mix it up. JMO, but I'm convinced it's got staying power as a "thing," at least as far as demand for original printings of old cards are concerned

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    On another topic-- looks like Colorless Eldrazi is the real deal in legacy (or at least as good as MUD which is already a regular). For those who have all the MUD staples already (Wastes, Mishras, Caverns, Tombs, Cities, Chalices), when is the best time to buy the Eldrazi core if you want to convert your deck? After the predicted Modern ban? (Will it even matter given that it seems inevitable at this point and everyone knows it?) Would you buy any now? (perhaps Temples/Thorns?) How would this differ for foils?
    I think prices on the Eldrazi have already started dropping. I picked up the last 3 Endless Ones I needed (I have all the rest) for about 3 dollars each. I could swear they were higher just last week.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by jamesh View Post
    I'm interested to see how Old School develops. Will it be the tiny leaders of 2016? If it becomes more popular, I imagine people will be relaxed about introducing revised cards to the format. These cards are pretty old now anyway. Black border is one thing but paying a premium for unlimited is something I wouldn't do.
    I agree with this sentiment 100%. The tournaments that do pop up in the US (at eternal weekend, for example) allow any version of the card thats non foil original artwork. The spike on UNL cards seems 100% artificial so I don't see how it stays. FWIW, its also odd that the format is called 93/94 yet revised (printed in 94...) isn't allowed. And most people who played back then would tell you revised was on the tables more than A/B/U, so in a way 93/94 is a little bit disingenuous by not allowing revised anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
    I agree with this sentiment 100%. The tournaments that do pop up in the US (at eternal weekend, for example) allow any version of the card thats non foil original artwork. The spike on UNL cards seems 100% artificial so I don't see how it stays. FWIW, its also odd that the format is called 93/94 yet revised (printed in 94...) isn't allowed. And most people who played back then would tell you revised was on the tables more than A/B/U, so in a way 93/94 is a little bit disingenuous by not allowing revised anyways.
    Yeah, I played then and by far revised was hugely more numerous. Additionally Fallen Empires was released in 1994 as well so if we're being honest about the naming it should at least include revised and FE.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I think prices on the Eldrazi have already started dropping. I picked up the last 3 Endless Ones I needed (I have all the rest) for about 3 dollars each. I could swear they were higher just last week.
    There was an initial rush right after the pro tour, and once the have to have it now players were satisfied the price started going down, and last I saw still on a downward trend. It will not go back to pre-pro tour #'s but they have all gone down a bit.
    The creatures being in a current draft set helps with their prices, as the drafts are a downward force on the price, unfortunately once a ban could come into effect the set will not be the current draft set anymore, and that downward force will be gone. and since they are pretty much all seeing some Standard play I half expect them to go up a bit once they stop being drafted, since the std demand could outstrip the modern demand for a few of them.

These are also cards that the Kitchen Table players are going to look at and say "oh, cool" meaning they might not get rid of theirs as easily.

I would say for non-foils you can try to wait for the price to reach its bottom, but for foils, I would go now if you think the cards has the chance to become a Legacy contender because as soon as the pimp my deck crowd starts building it the foil price will spike.

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

Quote Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
    From what I read, it is basically elitism and showing how they are better than others while claiming nostalgia, Revised was released before Legends and The Dark which are both included.

Nov 2006
    London

Quote Originally Posted by sjmcc13 View Post
    From what I read, it is basically elitism and showing how they are better than others while claiming nostalgia, Revised was released before Legends and The Dark which are both included.
    Yep, it makes no sense. Could have been a deliberate plan to increase the value of UNL cards collectors were holding.

More anecdotal evidence, but I was also playing during 93/94 and Revised cards were definitely more common (and are hence more nostalgic to me).

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

You are correct, but recognize that Swedish Magic 93/94, which is the go-to for the majority of players, started in 2007 amongst a very small playgroup. People took notice locally, and slowly over the last 9 years it has spread across the globe. 94 or Old School play started to peak some interest in North America around 2011-2013 on and sites like Eternal Central and LandLotusJuzam (which is amazing if you haven't seen it) developed similar formats, but with more lax printing restrictions. Throughout that period, I've found the Swedish ruleset and restrictions to be the most popular globally.
    The reason that the Swedish format gained a lot of interest was largely due to Chas Andres's (Starcity Finance Writer) article on it last May (http://www.starcitygames.com/article...ool-Magic.html). He didn't try to make it a spec format, but he encouraged people to pickup Unlimited copies as the pricing was much cheaper than Alpha and Beta. People took note and the items quickly started to dry up and increase in price sense.
    I can appreciate that a lot of people were burned with Tiny Leaders and now are very skeptical homebrewed formats. I also understand that the restrictions of the Swedish format seem to imply that people are trying to pull the financial wool over your eyes. That said, the is documented history and interest in this particular iteration of the format for nearly 10 years, with the last 5 years being on a global level.
    As I've previously said, no one is forcing anyone to follow the Swedish 94 printing restrictions, however that tends to be the most desirable way to play. People like pimp, and the reality is that Unlimited is now considered a pimp printing by many people. We all know there is a finite amount of this stuff out there, especially in near mint condition, so with increased demand 22 years post printing, the prices are going to go up. I sympathize with those who genuinely want to relive some nostaglia and play with early printings, but it is what it is. You don't need to get hung up on whether your cards say Tap or have the Tap symbol, but if it is important to you, realize that the available supply has diminished from early adopters and the price has increased.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Bosque View Post
    Yeah, I played then and by far revised was hugely more numerous. Additionally Fallen Empires was released in 1994 as well so if we're being honest about the naming it should at least include revised and FE.
    Here in the US, the Eternal Central rules allow Revised and FE.

They also generally change the Restricted list to allow "new" decks to be made each event.

There was an initial rush right after the pro tour, and once the have to have it now players were satisfied the price started going down, and last I saw still on a downward trend. It will not go back to pre-pro tour #'s but they have all gone down a bit.
    The creatures being in a current draft set helps with their prices, as the drafts are a downward force on the price, unfortunately once a ban could come into effect the set will not be the current draft set anymore, and that downward force will be gone. and since they are pretty much all seeing some Standard play I half expect them to go up a bit once they stop being drafted, since the std demand could outstrip the modern demand for a few of them.

These are also cards that the Kitchen Table players are going to look at and say "oh, cool" meaning they might not get rid of theirs as easily.

I would say for non-foils you can try to wait for the price to reach its bottom, but for foils, I would go now if you think the cards has the chance to become a Legacy contender because as soon as the pimp my deck crowd starts building it the foil price will spike.
    That makes sense. Also, I think people have realized it is almost certainly going to be banned in Modern and so demand has slacked, while supply really hasn't.

If you want foils though, always move on them before the set is out of print. Once it is, the price on foil anything playable generally doubles. I'm glad Gerry had Matter Reshapers in his deck though, I randomly opened a foil one in my prize packs on Friday and I have a playset of regular ones.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Nov 2006
    London

Thanks for the input.

If you have the Stompy manabase and Chalices already, the deck is actually quite cheap. I ended up buying set foils (since the multiple was only about 2x) of everything except the Thorns (bought non-foil) and Eyes (waiting for a ban) and it came out to less than 300 euros.

Seemed like an easy upgrade on standard MUD and better for the long-term since it's also playable in Modern (assuming the DCI doesn't completely gut it).

Though if they ban Temple and not Eye I'll feel a bit stupid...

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Thanks for the input.

If you have the Stompy manabase and Chalices already, the deck is actually quite cheap. I ended up buying set foils (since the multiple was only about 2x) of everything except the Thorns (bought non-foil) and Eyes (waiting for a ban) and it came out to less than 300 euros.

Seemed like an easy upgrade on standard MUD and better for the long-term since it's also playable in Modern (assuming the DCI doesn't completely gut it).

Though if they ban Temple and not Eye I'll feel a bit stupid...
    In all honesty if the deck remains playable in Legacy, a banning of Eye in Modern won't drop the price that significantly. Sadly price memory is a thing, and the fact that the deck appears to be playable in Legacy (and relatively budget at that) will help it maintain a price of $20+ regardless of what happens to it in Modern.

Nov 2006
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    In all honesty if the deck remains playable in Legacy, a banning of Eye in Modern won't drop the price that significantly. Sadly price memory is a thing, and the fact that the deck appears to be playable in Legacy (and relatively budget at that) will help it maintain a price of $20+ regardless of what happens to it in Modern.
    True, but I think we might see a lot of Expedition Eyes go up for sale if it does get banned. You also have Tron players who'd probably be selling their copies as well.

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

True, but I think we might see a lot of Expedition Eyes go up for sale if it does get banned. You also have Tron players who'd probably be selling their copies as well.
    Eye might still command value from EDH players wanting it, as tutoring my eldrazi and other targets is good enough for many of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    If you want foils though, always move on them before the set is out of print. Once it is, the price on foil anything playable generally doubles. I'm glad Gerry had Matter Reshapers in his deck though, I randomly opened a foil one in my prize packs on Friday and I have a playset of regular ones.
    Ya, I do not know if I should be hopeful of this, or dreading it.
    I bought a 4 Japanese boxes (tentacle monsters need to be Japanese, not English) and pulled a foil Thought-Knot, Mimic and Reshaper from them. Now I do not know if I should buy foil Japanese playsets or sell those 3 cards...

Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I understand and share the views of most here about Old School. It does indeed feel somewhat elitist, allowing certain prints and not others. Yes, the Fallen and Revised argument. Tiny Leader was indeed a flash in the pan, but Old School developped slowly over the years. All valid points.

I couldn't care less if the guy in front of me taps an Cronicles City to tap a Revised Tome to draw a card. I'd rather have someone in front of me to play with than building decks I can only goldfish. At the end of the day, I do feel the format has lasting appeal. Price memory being what it is, I doubt the cards are going down to what they were last year, even if all of a sudden everybody decides to unload their staples.

Considering my very limited free time and my absence of desire to take part in Modern tournaments, I converted some Modern staples into stuff on the Reserve List/Power 2 years ago. At the rate they were reprinting stuff, keeping everything in a box didn't seem like a good idea. The trades you could make back then were truly mindblowing, with stores no less. Although the prices on higher end stuff readjusted, some Modern cards are way overpriced and would convert nicely to RL stuff even now. Glimmervoid, Ravager, Ugin, Chalice,...Spellskite? I don't like the fact they can reprint, and do reprint everything they can. People sitting right now on sets of Twilight Mires and Phyrexian Altar are wasting money. I mean, why? If you play in tournaments I semi get it. If they're in your pet decks that's fine. But these sitting in binders?

There's an insane amount of pressure on AN City of Brass these days, especially NM ones, but the beat up will follow suit eventually. Considering the price of Duals, most people turn to these for fixing. I, for one, am very optimistic for the format, and there is palpable, growing interest in my city. Clerk at my LGS tells me the old binders are taken out and emptied a hell of a lot more than before, and anything remotely playable from UNL/LGD/ANQ sells very well and quickly. That did not happen overnight, mind you, but a rather as growing interests over time here.

Thread Information