Page 283 of 343 FirstFirst ... 183233273279280281282283284285286287293333 ... LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,660 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    I never understood the premium some people will pay for German cards. You can get boxes for the same price as 'normal' ones (English or French) at the normal price here (Belgium) with ease. It's not as if those cards are so hard to come by. I used to buy my boxes in Russian when that was still possible, if I were to pick up that habit again, I'd go for German. Same price, but the individual cards seem to move a lot faster.
    Neither do I understand the German premium. I have been asked several times more for foil German cards than foil Japanese ones (and I'm not talking about Wilder Nacatls), which seems absurd to me. But some people are really willing to pay a big premium, so it does exist.

For cards from recent sets there doesn't seem to be any premium over English though, and they sell considerably slower. So buying German boxes instead of English ones is a worse idea than it may seem.

Feb 2012
    Tienen

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    Well, it used to be that foreign cards were rare. Japanese, in particular. I don't know if that's true anymore. Here's my experience:

1. I like Chinese cards because I can typically get them for cheaper than English ones.
    2. I like Russian cards because the language is really pretty.
    3. I like German cards because the language is so angry and awesome.
    4. Some particular cards are funny (if you are twelve): Treasure Cruise in German is "Lehnende Ausfahrt." Delay in French is "Retard."
    I am quite fond of my German Portal Götterdämmerung in my Numot deck, for that reason. The name is cool. But that's the rare exception.

I never understood the premium some people will pay for German cards. You can get boxes for the same price as 'normal' ones (English or French) at the normal price here (Belgium) with ease. It's not as if those cards are so hard to come by. I used to buy my boxes in Russian when that was still possible, if I were to pick up that habit again, I'd go for German. Same price, but the individual cards seem to move a lot faster.
    I'm not sure either. But I just *had* to have german FBB duals for my legacy deck.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

For Legacy, one reason why German is popular is because if you want to keep your entire deck one non-English language, that pretty much limits you to German, French, or Italian because of your duals.

Plus, it's an awesomely angry language.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    4. Some particular cards are funny (if you are twelve): Treasure Cruise in German is "Lehnende Ausfahrt." Delay in French is "Retard."
    Or the recent "Descend Upon the Fishermen" French translation snafu.

Feb 2012
    Tienen

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Or the recent "Descend Upon the Fishermen" French translation snafu.
    I just saw that. Those accents are there for a reason.

I have a couple worthless tron lands in I think French I'd love to make English.

Only prices I'm bothered about are lands and a few artifacts.

2 years ago I tried to get 1 set of duals, said when I get my income tax I'm getting them.

I look and a set went way way out of my range of even probability.

So I'm forever stuck playing a tier 2 deck.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    I have a couple worthless tron lands in I think French I'd love to make English.

Only prices I'm bothered about are lands and a few artifacts.

2 years ago I tried to get 1 set of duals, said when I get my income tax I'm getting them.

I look and a set went way way out of my range of even probability.

Bank loan/LOC?

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

The difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2 is honestly too small to fret about. Just learn your deck(s) inside and out.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    The difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2 is honestly too small to fret about. Just learn your deck(s) inside and out.
    Oh I do, I'm fairly proficient in making my decks work.

Example in modern

Mono blue tron vs gr tron.
    I should lose but I won, I just made a play mistake and I wasn't even trying I just made a silly mistake.

If I had a full spiral tide list I might of did better another night but I was just having fun.
    Wasn't expecting to even do anything.

But a couple people conspired and his midget ass was gloating at me.

"3 turns to slow"

Now the patrons are pushing thoes 2 out because noone wants their kind.

But I want duals, I want p9, sadly I'll never get it.

Example in modern

I should lose but I won, I just made a play mistake and I wasn't even trying I just made a silly mistake.

If I had a full spiral tide list I might of did better another night but I was just having fun.

"3 turns to slow"

Get p9 and loose the woe is me im poor thing. Its not classy.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Example in modern

"3 turns to slow"

You're on a forum for Legacy players. You don't get to complain about not being able to afford expensive cards.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    You're on a forum for Legacy players. You don't get to complain about not being able to afford expensive cards.
    But they're literally in the "Bitching About Prices" thread. That's what this thread is for, is it not?

Feb 2012
    Tienen

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    But they're literally in the "Bitching About Prices" thread. That's what this thread is for, is it not?
    There's a difference between complaining about the price of cards, and stating you'll never get them. If obtaining the pricy staples needed to play eternal isn't even an objective anymore, how strong is your desire to play eternal at all?

I'll likely never own a playset of Workshops (I let that train pass by two years ago, they tripled in price since then). But if I ever fall upon a stupid pile of cash, you can bet your ass I'll get them.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

There's a difference between complaining about the price of cards, and stating you'll never get them. If obtaining the pricy staples needed to play eternal isn't even an objective anymore, how strong is your desire to play eternal at all?

I'll likely never own a playset of Workshops (I let that train pass by two years ago, they tripled in price since then). But if I ever fall upon a stupid pile of cash, you can bet your ass I'll get them.
    I love Legacy. I have no more Legacy decks. I play proxy Legacy when I can, and have no intention whatsoever of acquiring $300 cards.

That does not change my desire to play the format.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    I love Legacy. I have no more Legacy decks. I play proxy Legacy when I can, and have no intention whatsoever of acquiring $300 cards.

That does not change my desire to play the format.
    How much can you really love it if you can't even find the willpower to invest in something you "love".

I

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Quote Originally Posted by kingsey View Post
    How much can you really love it if you can't even find the willpower to invest in something you "love".

I
    Put it this way: I love my car. But, say, between paying $5000 for an original AC Schnitzer kit to put on it, plus another $2000 for paint, I instead paid $400 for a replica set and painted it in my garage with rattlecans for $200.

Did it affect my enjoyment of the car? Nope.

Will I win any Concours d'Elegance? Fuck no.

Does anyone imply that I don't love the car due to using non-original parts? That's debatable, but I've had a couple of people with $50,000 invested into their cars complimenting me on how it looks and asking where I sourced the reps, what paint I used, how the fit was, etc.

-

I think I mentioned this several pages back, but god damn is the Magic community much more elitist than cars. Nobody gives you shit for using replicas to save money, not even people with hundreds of thousands of dollars in their builds. There's an intrinsic understanding that acquiring originals of many parts is cost prohibitive, and unless you're building a car to win Pebble Beach, you'll use replicas and alternatives whenever possible to cut down on costs.

Feb 2012
    Tienen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    Put it this way: I love my car. But, say, between paying $5000 for an original AC Schnitzer kit to put on it, plus another $2000 for paint, I instead paid $400 for a replica set and painted it in my garage with rattlecans for $200.

Did it affect my enjoyment of the car? Nope.

Will I win any Concours d'Elegance? Fuck no.

Does anyone imply that I don't love the car due to using non-original parts? That's debatable, but I've had a couple of people with $50,000 invested into their cars complimenting me on how it looks and asking where I sourced the reps, what paint I used, how the fit was, etc.

-

I think I mentioned this several pages back, but god damn is the Magic community much more elitist than cars. Nobody gives you shit for using replicas to save money, not even people with hundreds of thousands of dollars in their builds. There's an intrinsic understanding that acquiring originals of many parts is cost prohibitive, and unless you're building a car to win Pebble Beach, you'll use replicas and alternatives whenever possible to cut down on costs.
    If you use that car in some sort of tuning or restoration contest, and the use of specific parts is outlawed in that contest, then the other participants would have reason to be upset with your replicas. Same as magic players who'll take offense when you use a proxy in a tournament. If somebody bitches about a suboptimal but legal deck you bring to a tournament, or about a proxy in a kitchen table game, meh.

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post

I already told you to buy Collected Company ($12ish now, will be $20+ as long as its legal down the road), Khans fetchlands (seems obvious but they're in the $12-$15 range now and if you're willing to wait, they're going to be $20-$25+ down the line for as long as Modern is a format), Thoughtseize (won't be reprinted soon, is the best at what it does, will also see demand in every format it's legal in), Abrupt Decay (just going to keep going up as it's the best at what it does in every format) , Dig Through Time (barring a ban, should be a Legacy staple for a while). And buy shocklands. Again, another "obvious" one, but so was Snapcaster and Liliana. Good cards are good cards and will see play forever, and just keep going up in price as long as Magic is popular.
    Did you guys buy all those Collected Companies when they were still around $10-$12? If you had, like I told you to, about 8 months ago, then you could cash them out for twice as much or more now that they are riding their crest of popularity in standard/modern. I personally have like 40+ of these sitting around and a handful of foils, so i'll be cashing them out pretty soon before they rotate out of Standard. Bought all of them for around $8-$10 each!

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

If you use that car in some sort of tuning or restoration contest, and the use of specific parts is outlawed in that contest, then the other participants would have reason to be upset with your replicas. Same as magic players who'll take offense when you use a proxy in a tournament. If somebody bitches about a suboptimal but legal deck you bring to a tournament, or about a proxy in a kitchen table game, meh.
    I just re-read my post and the post I quoted, and I see no mention of tournaments. Actually, I specifically mentioned I wouldn't win any Concours.

Thread Information