Page 3 of 343 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

pussy head man from outer space
    Mar 2006

Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

Quote Originally Posted by Brushwagg View Post
    Just to throw this out there that Dreamhalls and Show and Tell are both on the rise. I looked on E-bay for shits and both are around 50 for a play set.
    I bought a korean SaT for 3€ an got it on Sunday the 01/02/10. ;)
    I've also bought Retainers for 16€.
    Hail me.

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

any guesses on a Korean Show and tell price wise I found one in a pile of cards just now.
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

I guess more than the 75 cent I paid for a Foil MM Dark Ritual.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

What are the chances that this is part of a bubble?

And what happens when the bubble pops?

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

Quote Originally Posted by workingdude View Post
    We ask congress for a bailout...sorry I could not resist it.

Problem people have a hard time selling magic cards for less then what they paid it is why staples will shoot up fast as hell but drop very very slowly.
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

That happens when everyone discovers that the deck they just bought isn't that good.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

It pops occasionally, but typically just the initial rush is over. The card typically remains expensive from there on out. Sea Drake is still quite expensive. Cruel Bargain is in the same boat. Aluren is one of the few that dropped back to normal for some reason. Probably due to the fact it's a Tempest Rare and for some reason there's a lot of those out there.

As I said though, 3 kingdoms cards will never ever go down again. I'm actually still annoyed by Strategic Planning since I had been in the middle of trying to get a playset when that bubble started. I wanted to try it in Thresh and after I got two, the price went nuts. Damn.

I wonder why Exploration hasn't followed the price of Mox Diamond and Tabernacle. I find that one odd. The other two are from older sets, but not that much older. Less pet decks using them I guess. Tabletop players do have a marked effect on prices.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    I wonder why Exploration hasn't followed the price of Mox Diamond and Tabernacle. I find that one odd. The other two are from older sets, but not that much older. Less pet decks using them I guess. Tabletop players do have a marked effect on prices.
    Possibly just that Exploration is almost exclusively used in Lands.deck whereas Mox Diamond is in Aggro Loam, Stax, and Land.deck, and Tabernacle is very hard to find and used in Stax and Lands, but would probably find its way into more decks if it wasn't so expensive. Stax got that big win a couple months ago so the interest in that deck is still pretty high up there. Funny to note that Baneslayer is actually more expensive than most cards in that deck.

As for Loyal Retainers I'm glad I picked a few up at 40$ now, as I can sell the extras to pay for the one I'll keep. I think they're shooting up in value because Bant Survival is actually a good deck, and not hard to put together other than the LR. Imperial Recruiter is arguably better, but also only has a niche in one deck that has a bunch more cards that can't be used in any other deck. Painters grindstone aren't really used in many decks now.

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

IMO there is a bubble bursting somewhere along the horizon. I'm sorry but the economy sucks and even if parents are giving their kids the money to buy $100 uncommons it can't last forever.

Remember Vintage, I'm not saying it's dead but it seems that "no one" plays it any more. I'm willing to bet that the astronomical entry costs even with 10 proxy tournaments made the barrier to entry unappealing to most and contributed to its decline.

Mark my words, Legacy is in a boom period but if the prices continue to rise in a quadratic or esponential manner people will just say the hell with this, I'm going to put a down payment on a house or buy a car with my collection.

If you're speculating have fun but don't look at me when your "$150" loyal retainers that you stockpiled don't find buyers because the deck lost its vogueness.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Quote Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
    IMO there is a bubble bursting somewhere along the horizon. I'm sorry but the economy sucks and even if parents are giving their kids the money to buy $100 uncommons it can't last forever.
    Why does it automatically have to be kids?

Remember Vintage, I'm not saying it's dead but it seems that "no one" plays it any more. I'm willing to bet that the astronomical entry costs even with 10 proxy tournaments made the barrier to entry unappealing to most and contributed to its decline.
    Vintage is dying down because the format is stagnant, not because it's expensive. A 10-proxy deck is cheaper than the average competitive Legacy deck even.

Mark my words, Legacy is in a boom period but if the prices continue to rise in a quadratic or esponential manner people will just say the hell with this, I'm going to put a down payment on a house or buy a car with my collection.
    People do this all the time and it doesn't hurt the game in any significant manner. In fact, if anything it is indicative of a healthy secondary market economy. If the bubble were to truly burst, they wouldn't be able to sell them for enough to put a down-payment on a house.

If you're speculating have fun but don't look at me when your "$150" loyal retainers that you stockpiled don't find buyers because the deck lost its vogueness.
    Can't really argue with this, however. This particular case baffles me. It's just not useful in the same way Recruiter or Strategic Planning are. It sees play as a 1-of in a solid, but just short of tier-1 deck, whereas other cards that experienced similar spikes have been used as 4-ofs in at least a couple of decks. I've got a feeling that there is some scalping going on, as they all started quietly disappearing from the market within a day or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

Good god, I'm so happy I already bought my Underground Seas and my Tundra.
    I'm so sad I still got to buy a Tropical Island.

But hey, at least the prices of these aren't going through the roof.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

I just got a Loyal Retainers for $40 from ABUgames and they still have 2 more in stock.

I think prices are rising quite quickly, but it is to be expected when there are huge Legacy tournaments all over the country every few weeks. Decks get popular and people run to buy up the cards quickly. I hope prices don't just keep going up because that is a turn off for people. I really hope Wizards just keeps doing what they are doing and re-printing some older cards in their FTV thing.

Feb 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Jak. View Post
    I just got a Loyal Retainers for $40 from ABUgames and they still have 2 more in stock.
    Did you mean Shuffle and Cut? They're the only place I see that has any left.
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

I think prices are rising quite quickly, but it is to be expected when there are huge Legacy tournaments all over the country every few weeks. Decks get popular and people run to buy up the cards quickly. I hope prices don't just keep going up because that is a turn off for people. I really hope Wizards just keeps doing what they are doing and re-printing some older cards in their FTV thing.
    But that's even not enough. FTV: Exiled pretty much sucked for Legacy. I worry about stuff like dual lands reaching $100 ea. (it'll happen eventually) as a barrier to becoming a Legacy player.

Also, the online sales community is really really small. Short story, I worked in a card shop once and when Yu-Gi-Oh! first came out it was shit hot and no one had it in the neighbourhood . . . except the drugstore next door. So the owner bought everything they had so he could continue to sell his packs at inflated prices. How hard would it be for someone to buy up cards from competitors, and then flip them when you've got the only supply?

Internet supply compared to internet demand is pretty low.
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Did you mean Shuffle and Cut? They're the only place I see that has any left.
    Oh shit! I guess they just sold out. I ordered when there was 3.

Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    But that's even not enough. FTV: Exiled pretty much sucked for Legacy. I worry about stuff like dual lands reaching $100 ea. (it'll happen eventually) as a barrier to becoming a Legacy player.

Also, the online sales community is really really small. Short story, I worked in a card shop once and when Yu-Gi-Oh! first came out it was shit hot and no one had it in the neighbourhood . . . except the drugstore next door. So the owner bought everything they had so he could continue to sell his packs at inflated prices. How hard would it be for someone to buy up cards from competitors, and then flip them when you've got the only supply?

Internet supply compared to internet demand is pretty low.
    I totally agree. This is the problem I see. Cards from Portal or older sets just aren't in the local store. Having to rely online to get them where prices are inflated just isn't worth it most of the time. I really hope something gets done so Legacy, the fastest growing format, doesn't die because of it. I mentioned the FTV things because they were a step in the right direction.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Oh shit! I guess they just sold out. I ordered when there was 3.

I totally agree. This is the problem I see. Cards from Portal or older sets just aren't in the local store. Having to rely online to get them where prices are inflated just isn't worth it most of the time. I really hope something gets done so Legacy, the fastest growing format, doesn't die because of it. I mentioned the FTV things because they were a step in the right direction.
    I guess the elephant in the room – as always – is the reserve list.
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

Feb 2009

Even some things not on the reserve list, IMO. Portal 3 Kingdoms cards are a perfect example of this. Many of them have reached triple-digit pricetags due to their scarcity, making them a highly-sought rarity among collectors. Dare WotC reprint them and risk alienating those who have shelled out top dollar for them?

I think that, fortunately, nothing from the starter-level sets really jumps out as being a staple in Legacy, so it's fine if they're expensive, but god help us all if something from one of those sets becomes as powerful as, say, Tarmogoyf.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

I would much rather them alienate a few players than a lot more players. The prices will come down, but the cards will still be of worth and I highly doubt these aggravated people will quit the game if the reserve list was thrown in the trash.

More German than Germans
    Jul 2006
    Madison/Muncie IN

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Dare WotC reprint them and risk alienating those who have shelled out top dollar for them?
    And how many people do you think that would be? I like to think that the grand majority (at least 85% if you want a number out of the ass) don't "collect" this game on a level where shelling out thousands of dollars to get a playset of everything Portal or whatever would be viable monetarily wise. I know it would be annoying to those who did spend a ridiculous amount of money on cardboard, but by the sound of it the people who DO spend that kind of money on The Source (check the pimp legacy deck thread) are pretty well off anyway. A "hit" of 1 grand or more doesn't seem to affect you munch when you have a "monthly magic budget" of $250.

I think Wizards should be able to reprint anything and everything. Even P9 (the only other alternative is to make proxies 100% tournament legal, not just this "proxy stuff").

I am convinced that this format will die if something isn't done about this "bubble" stuff within the next year or two. What meaning doesn the phrase "play with all your old favorites" hold if all your old favorites are pushing $80 a playset?
    Ich bin aueslander und sprechen nicht gut Deutsch

Feb 2009

I would much rather them alienate a few players than a lot more players. The prices will come down, but the cards will still be of worth and I highly doubt these aggravated people will quit the game if the reserve list was thrown in the trash.
    Agreed 100%, however they would have to be incredibly careful in how they implement such a move in order not to tank the secondary market too quickly. A very large part of Eternal magic is collecting, and if they just suddenly dumped millions of copies of previously hard-to-find (well, useful and hard-to-find) cards into the market it could cause a huge backlash.

I think the way to go for the time being is limited release products like duel decks, FtV, and Judge promos rather than flat-out reprinting anything like Imperial Seal or even Imperial Recruiter in a base or expert set.

Quote Originally Posted by Meister_Kai View Post
    I am convinced that this format will die if something isn't done about this "bubble" stuff within the next year or two. What meaning doesn the phrase "play with all your old favorites" hold if all your old favorites are pushing $80 a playset?
    $80 a playset is nothing. Standard-legal cards reach $80 a playset. What do you expect for cards that are out of print and therefore more scarce? Just be glad none of the super-rare, super-expensive are format-defining or even the least bit warping. If everything were available to everybody, it wouldn't be a collectible game anymore.

The only cards that I can really agree that absolutely NEED to be reprinted sometime soon are the original Dual Lands. They are the linchpin of the format, and if they're not readily available, there is no format. Everything else is either sufficiently abundant or not really necessary to compete.

Thread Information