Page 314 of 343 FirstFirst ... 214264304310311312313314315316317318324 ... LastLast
Results 6,261 to 6,280 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Quote Originally Posted by chaosjace View Post
    I can kind of understand some of the reprint policy, as I traded quite heavily for a mint condition English tabernacle of pendrell vale, but for the rest of legacy stuff I wouldn't mind reprints, not many people play legacy because of the price, though I argue that modern has some overly expensive pieces, it would be nice to have more players in the (best) format ever.

Edit: not to mention playing standard where you have to replace your entire deck every so often.

Why would tabernacle be exempt? So the one card you paid a high price for is okay, but the rest is free game. I don't even own a tabernacle, but if the other reserved list cards are on block so is tabernacle. It can go from 1200 to 1 dollar according to those who want it to be worthless. Once that happens would you ever buy an MTG product again. Would you feel sore that your collectible is now worthless.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonwisdom View Post
    It can go from 1200 to 1 dollar according to those who want it to be worthless.
    I think your twisting peoples words here. Affordable and worthless are not the same. As an owner of 3 Tabernacle (And I use them. All 3 are in Stax) I want to see this card affordable not worthless.

I don't think there is any great crime in making Duals all cost less than 100 each. I don't think there is a crime in Tabernacle costing 1/4th of what it does now.

Having a look at Modern reprints, like Goyf, Wizards has shown a desire to increase card availability without totally tanking the value. I don't mind seeing that in Legacy. Your cardboard would have decreased value tomorrow than it has today, but more people would play. If you dislike that, your welcome to find another hobby, I suggest not treating that hobby as an investment and spending less money on it.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Stick to the basics. Buy only what you need. Buy nonfoil playsets. No more than 4 cards, no less than 4 cards. And buy these cards after a reprint. Do not speculate. Do not sell or break up playsets either, I know a lot of people who sold goblin guides before mm15 in anticipation of a reprint. This is assuming you still want them/use them. The only exception is if you're not using something at all and it spikes super high, then I feel it is okay to get rid of stuff. I think this is the best route to build a collection.

Usually when one card gets reprinted another spikes, so nobody should be crying over reprints. Unless we're talking legacy staples here, different story when we're talking about $100+ cards. I can understand people getting upset over U-Sea/tabernacle hypothetically getting reprinted.

I know some people who bought a lot of reserved stuff after eternal masters was announced. I think it's a bad idea, I'd feel nervous about holding onto excess legacy stuff.

besides, legacy is a proxy format anyway. unless you religiously play in grand prix's, these cards have no tournament value anymore. they may as well reprint away.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonwisdom View Post
    Standard cards are not completely worthless. All those Urza cards were once standard cards right? Once the secondary market crashes, so does Wotc as a game. Many of you forgot chronicles or were not around for it. MTG was on life support back then due to the collapse of the secondary market.
    I was not around back than, but the stories I heard was, that the big problem was, that Wizard just delivered the amount of cases the stores ordered. Since previously, there was only a limited print run and thus, as a store owner you only got like 3-4 cases even IF you ordered 60, the stores just over ordered (so the 60+ cases) as usual to get those few cases but suddenly wizard delivered those 60+ cases. THAT was the problem afaik.

Greetings,
    Kathal

Quote Originally Posted by ed06288 View Post
    besides, legacy is a proxy format anyway. unless you religiously play in grand prix's, these cards have no tournament value anymore. they may as well reprint away.
    Depends on where you live, but here in Austria you can play Legacy every week at least semi competitive, which is nice.

Greetings,
    Kathal

bruizar

I think your twisting peoples words here. Affordable and worthless are not the same. As an owner of 3 Tabernacle (And I use them. All 3 are in Stax) I want to see this card affordable not worthless.

I don't think there is any great crime in making Duals all cost less than 100 each. I don't think there is a crime in Tabernacle costing 1/4th of what it does now.
    You might be okay with 250 euro tabernacles, but someone else might prefer 25 euro tabernacles. After tabernacle hits 250, do we keep reprinting it until it is a 25 euro card? Where do you draw the line? Why is your opinion better than others'? (FYI: not too many years tabernacle was a 25/30 euro card)

You can never please everybody, period.

and if you really want to do something like this, then use some version of the following:
    http://kokminglee.125mb.com/economics/caldands.html

The problem, why I dislike this approach (posted by @bruizer) is that is nigh impossible to properly represent the reality, when analysing something like Magic.

I mean, the best example was MM1 and what it did to Modern. Modern got anything but cheaper because of this, heck, the average cost of the decks went up by 36% IIRC. Partly is true for MM2, where Affinity got more expensive, even though the staples got reprinted.

Hence, it really depends on the print run. If the print run is in MM1 territory I doubt, that the prices drop significant, if at all. You would need double the MM2 print run to make a remarkable dent into the prices of Legacy decks (I'm thinking about -35-40% here). And even THAN, the prices will recover rather sooner than later (see MM and Modern).

Greetings,
    Kathal

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    You can never please everybody, period.
    I am not going to try. My goal is not to please everyone, I don't delude myself with unattainable aims. My goal is for a healthy Legacy format and thus my suggestions are always going to align with my views on how to attain such a thing.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Having a look at Modern reprints, like Goyf, Wizards has shown a desire to increase card availability without totally tanking the value. I don't mind seeing that in Legacy. Your cardboard would have decreased value tomorrow than it has today, but more people would play. If you dislike that, your welcome to find another hobby, I suggest not treating that hobby as an investment and spending less money on it.
    I love you.

I started playing again a few months ago after a 6-7 year hiatus. I still have receipts of buying duals, fows, etc, for ~20-25€ a piece in 2006. Coming back and seeing duals start at 200€ scared me. If I hadn't bought a lot of these cards back then I simply wouldn't be able to play with them today because I wouldn't feel comfortable spending 5000+€ on pieces of cardboard for a game. And I am someone without any kind of money issue, which means a lot of people are actually kept out of playing with same cards.

Heck, since I restarted playing we have managed to get a few guys curious and interested in the game and we have been lending them decks to play with us. What do you think will happen next ? I am crushed in advance thinking of the moment they'll be ready and willing to buy into the game, only to realize that the typical price of the decks they've been playing with can be 1500+€. Sure, you can always build on a budget (although today we tend to consider 300€ a budget deck...), or just find other ways to go from there, but still, how shitty is the message here ? "Sorry, forget about playing the same deck / cards than me : these are cards even I would be reluctant to buy today. Too bad if you thought we could be on equal footing" ?

I don't fucking want this. I don't fucking want to be unable to find players because cards are now too expensive. I don't fucking care about having made a 900% return on my duals bought 10 years ago. I want all the players and friends I play with, everyone, to have reasonable access to these cards as well. And what the fuck do you even do with a 600€ Tabernacle ? Do you even get it out from its double sleeve inside its toploader ? Do you even play it with potential drinks around ? Duals have gone 10x in the last ten years. What's to prevent them from continuing upwards if there is no reprint ? What will we all do when duals reach 1000 € ? Do we still even dare to PLAY with our fragile 8000 € pieces of cardboard ? Do we even keep them at home ? How fucking retarded is it having to ask this question ? My most important cards are actually in my big ass professional safe at my working place. Yeah, that's awesome.

I started playing in 1995. That's more than 20 years ago. This game is fucking awesome. I fucking hate the Reserved List. I fucking hate it. It is the shame of this game and this is what's going to kill paper Legacy just like it has long killed paper Vintage. But hey, a fine Lotus in its BGS casing (which it'll never leave anymore) is still worth more than 15K !
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    140x Relentless Rats
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bleiweiss
    I wish that Wizards would have just gone ahead and done away with the Reserved List entirely. It is nothing but a blight on the game and one that long outlived its purpose. [...] I am wholeheartedly in favor of getting rid of the Reserved List and reprinting higher-dollar staple cards from EDH and Legacy. Pete Hoefling the owner of StarCityGames.com agrees with my point of view as well.
    - Ben Bleiweiss, SCG General Manager, Feb 2010

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerLewis View Post

And what the fuck do you even do with a 600€ Tabernacle ? Do you even get it out from its double sleeve inside its toploader ?
    Sell it, it's italian crap if it's a 600€ Tabernacle.
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerLewis View Post
    I started playing in 1995. Maybe even 1994, who the fuck knows.
    Old enough to know what Chronicles did to the game then.

Magic is NOT a card game, it is a COLLECTIBLE card game. If you don't like that part of the game, you just don't like Magic as a concept.

Old enough to know what Chronicles did to the game then.
    At some point, your parents got you out of diapers. Then you know what happened ? You took a shit on the floor.

At this point your parents could have just put you back in diapers and kept you in it for the next 20 years, with the perfectly valid argument that you did try the no-diaper thing once and, well, you know what happened.

Now I'll be going out on a limb here and venture that's not what they did, and that you have now surprisingly met their expectations and become a clean boy (feel free to correct me otherwise).

Now, if they were smart enough to reason that maybe you shitting on the floor once did not mean you'd always do so for the rest of your life, maybe you can follow in their steps and understand the same thing they hopefully did.

Magic is NOT a card game, it is a COLLECTIBLE card game. If you don't like that part of the game, you just don't like Magic as a concept.
    Magic is NOT a collectible, Magic is a collectible card GAME. If you don't like that part of the collectible, you just don't like Magic as a concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    140x Relentless Rats
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bleiweiss
    I wish that Wizards would have just gone ahead and done away with the Reserved List entirely. It is nothing but a blight on the game and one that long outlived its purpose. [...] I am wholeheartedly in favor of getting rid of the Reserved List and reprinting higher-dollar staple cards from EDH and Legacy. Pete Hoefling the owner of StarCityGames.com agrees with my point of view as well.
    - Ben Bleiweiss, SCG General Manager, Feb 2010

"Old enough to know what Chronicles did to the game then."

Yeah it got new players in the game.

Magic the gathering is an investment compared to other games. It is one of the few games that cost so much money. Why on earth would you pay so much for a booster box if it
    did not retain some value. It is both collectible and a game at the same time. In some formats like Vintage and Legacy there is a conflict between the collectible and gaming aspect. There are different formats that have
    different price points. That is it. That is how Wizards designed it. They don't want everyone playing modern, so they keep it expensive. If they made it as cheap as standard, why would anyone play standard, which is their cash cow.

I hate to break it to some of you, but store owners who I talk to a lot, consider their inventories or "collections" as investments. Please think about that?
    They don't make that much money selling booster boxes, since most of you order from online vendors and not your LGS. Their margins are thin, after paying
    for rent, employees, product etc... A good percentage of their profits comes from their inventory.

Now some of you might say well maybe we should have a policy where no card should cost more than 20 dollars or all dual lands, tabernacle and the like should be half what they are worth. Are you willing to empty your back accounts through a "gofundme" page
    to reimburse all those store owners? I mean this seriously. What do you do about those stores that sank thousands of dollars into their "investments" What would you do about them. One can infer from some of your comments that you don't mind them going bankrupt.

Now some of you will just want to hit prices with a 20 percent hit to the market price. 'This is reasonable and this is likely what will happen with Modern. However, if you get the wrong CEO in office (say rosewater dies) , you could pay 70 dollars for snappy only for it to get reprinted to 5 bucks.

I will say this again. Magic is a cheap game intrinsically. Some constructed formats are expensive. So what. There are many different formats that people can play on the cheap.
    If Wotc wanted Legacy to survive they would just allow a limited number of proxies. They don't want it to survive. They view those cards as mistakes. Duel lands, LED, Cradle, etc are game designmistakes as far as they are concerned. Ditto for the Lotus and the moxes.

It is true there is no crime in making cards more affordable. But how Wotc does it will make a difference.

I tried to push for a trade-in program. For example, if you had a revised Tundra you could trade it in for 8 copies and then you as the collector or you the store owner would benefit. You could sell your cards and get more copies into the market.

It was a non-starter since people can't wrap their head around the idea. I still think a trade-in program is coming as fakes get better and better, but Wotc will have to be desperate to enact one. They already have redemptions from MTGO online, so it is doable, but it will be a massive change in policy, so they will wait until the very end. Just an idea or an opinion.

I want Legacy to survive like you do. It's sanctioned wizards proxies, a trade-in program or creating different cards that do the same thing. But alas they are all-in on modern.

Mar 2013

I have explained my issues with the Trade in program before. I think my issues with it are valid, I have yet to see them addressed. I have also said before if that's the answer they land on, so be it.

As for stores, when you trade in stocks, you can be burned. At this point, that's what I think some people think of cards as and treat as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathal View Post
    Depends on where you live, but here in Austria you can play Legacy every week at least semi competitive, which is nice.

Greetings,
    Kathal
    i'm jealous/mad, all the shops within an hour in my area switched over to proxies a couple years ago. i sold off my ant/dredge/charbelcher/oops all spells stuff shortly afterwards. i don't like proxies; i think people should respect the barrier to entry. buuuuuut i do have to admit that things have gotten out of hand recently, and attendance was struggling beforehand anyways. this idea that cards will just keep going up and up in price is magical christmas-land to me.

bruizar

I have explained my issues with the Trade in program before. I think my issues with it are valid, I have yet to see them addressed. I have also said before if that's the answer they land on, so be it.

As for stores, when you trade in stocks, you can be burned. At this point, that's what I think some people think of cards as and treat as such.
    there are plenty of revised duals in circulation. i dont see a problem

Mar 2013

there are plenty of revised duals in circulation. i dont see a problem
    I don't know what you mean by this. What are you directing your comment at sorry?

bruizar

I don't know what you mean by this. What are you directing your comment at sorry?
    The price of cards is only partially made up by its scarcity. It's mostly just people deciding that they want €X for it and the rest of the market just following. Creating 8x the number of revised duals with trade ins floods the market since there are already approx 680.000 playsets of revised duals out there. If we cant even muster up legacy events with 20 people and say its because we can't obtain dual lands, knowing that there is more than enough for everyone to go around, this format is lost.

Thread Information