Page 4 of 343 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Agreed 100%, however they would have to be incredibly careful in how they implement such a move in order not to tank the secondary market too quickly. A very large part of Eternal magic is collecting, and if they just suddenly dumped millions of copies of previously hard-to-find (well, useful and hard-to-find) cards into the market it could cause a huge backlash.

I think the way to go for the time being is limited release products like duel decks, FtV, and Judge promos rather than flat-out reprinting anything like Imperial Seal or even Imperial Recruiter in a base or expert set.
    Exactly. Slowly reprinting the cards is what should happen. I do think some cards like Imperial Recruiter would be fine to be reprinted in a new set though. Most should be in the FTV series.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Heh, imagine if they decided to give away duals in the Player Rewards? lol Talk about the largest influx of people into FNM's ever.

I am really starting to hate that reserved list despite the fact I'm one of those people with playsets of the older cards. I'd rather see cards like that reprinted because I'm really tired of hearing about how expensive those cards are (duals and other Legacy staples) and people should be allowed to play in a format they like and not be limited by cash. If you want that, go play Yuh Gi Oh, I hear that game is dependent on money to do well.

They least they should do is reprint the ungodly hard to get a hold of uncommons like Sea Drake, Imperial Recruiter, Strategic Planning, Grim Tutor (ok, its a rare), and the rest of those that aren't even on the reserve list anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    Heh, imagine if they decided to give away duals in the Player Rewards? lol Talk about the largest influx of people into FNM's ever.

I am really starting to hate that reserved list despite the fact I'm one of those people with playsets of the older cards. I'd rather see cards like that reprinted because I'm really tired of hearing about how expensive those cards are (duals and other Legacy staples) and people should be allowed to play in a format they like and not be limited by cash. If you want that, go play Yuh Gi Oh, I hear that game is dependent on money to do well.

They least they should do is reprint the ungodly hard to get a hold of uncommons like Sea Drake, Imperial Recruiter, Strategic Planning, Grim Tutor (ok, its a rare), and the rest of those that aren't even on the reserve list anyway.
    they should not reprint such cards ever...
    it s a collectible game and those are rarities, that aren't that outstanding, so there is no need to reprint them at all ... And if people wanna buy them for triple digits, well let them do, none of those decks are broken, they are just fancy cards for fancy deck.
    the only cards that can kill legacy if their price double/triple faster than the normal are fow, duals and some other legacy long time staples. And last time i ve checked anyway, legacy has always been an expensive format.
    And as it s been said already, "street prices" are much cheaper than inet prices so just look around. Also indeed some cards tend to disappear, and pop back 2 or 3 days after, with one more digit, but that's always been the case for those 'newstaplecomers' especially right before a GP.

Ur tears of nerdrage taste so sweet to me.
    Feb 2008
    Do not care.

Quote Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
    I bought a korean SaT for 3€ an got it on Sunday the 01/02/10. ;)
    I've also bought Retainers for 16€.
    Hail me.
    Ass, it was you who outbid me.
    LOL! Retainers are 250€ / SINGLE at magickartenmarkt.de
    Fuck weird people. I'm selling my Recruiters for a grand each now.
    Team Legal Actions.

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

Exactly. Slowly reprinting the cards is what should happen
    Well they did this kind of. Duals came back as Shock lands, and it took how many years to get enemy fetchlands? But they were only printed because the original ones were leaving extended.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

Sep 2007
    MN

Quote Originally Posted by EaD View Post
    Ass, it was you who outbid me.
    LOL! Retainers are 250€ / SINGLE at magickartenmarkt.de
    Fuck weird people. I'm selling my Recruiters for a grand each now.
    That is amazing. They can still be had for 50 US dollars on some websites.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Agreed 100%, however they would have to be incredibly careful in how they implement such a move in order not to tank the secondary market too quickly. A very large part of Eternal magic is collecting, and if they just suddenly dumped millions of copies of previously hard-to-find (well, useful and hard-to-find) cards into the market it could cause a huge backlash.

I think the way to go for the time being is limited release products like duel decks, FtV, and Judge promos rather than flat-out reprinting anything like Imperial Seal or even Imperial Recruiter in a base or expert set.
    I think Tarmogoyf smashes any idea that cards will necessarily devalue because of printing. He's not old, he's not scarce, he's not hard to find and he's $40 (give or take). Very very few Legacy competitive old cards would lose a lot of value from being reprinted (looking at you Tabernacle). As you said yourself, Standard playsets are upwards of $80, so what makes you think if they reprinted old cards – thus making them Standard and Extended legal – the cards would plunge in value?

They don't need to print them slowly, they need to print a set like Timeshifted shiznit, but not a bunch of jank.
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

Well I bet Legacy is getting popular since it's been all over Star City Games. Maybe that comes with the huge increase in popularity? I hope they do reprint cards though because then Legacy would be even more accessible.

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

I really hope that after FtV: Relics they do FtV: Lands and reprint some cards like the old Duals, Wasteland, and 4 other useful lands.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    As you said yourself, Standard playsets are upwards of $80, so what makes you think if they reprinted old cards – thus making them Standard and Extended legal – the cards would plunge in value?
    Because if old cards that are expensive due to scarcity are reprinted, they will no longer be scarce. Just look at the price of Berserk after FTV: Exiled.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Feb 2009

As you said yourself, Standard playsets are upwards of $80, so what makes you think if they reprinted old cards – thus making them Standard and Extended legal – the cards would plunge in value?
    Because if old cards that are expensive due to scarcity are reprinted, they will no longer be scarce. Just look at the price of Berserk after FTV: Exiled. It's just a simple fact of supply and demand.

For the record, however, I don't personally care one way or the other. But I'm sure there are a good deal of collectors who would go absolutely apeshit if Tabernacle or some other ridiculously priced card like Imperial Seal were reprinted.
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Because if old cards that are expensive due to scarcity are reprinted, they will no longer be scarce. Just look at the price of Berserk after FTV: Exiled. It's just a simple fact of supply and demand.

For the record, however, I don't personally care one way or the other. But I'm sure there are a good deal of collectors who would go absolutely apeshit if Tabernacle or some other ridiculously priced card like Imperial Seal were reprinted.
    Berserk is barely prevalent/playable. I know that's just one example you're using, but I just think there are very few cards that would have any great impact. I think most of the cards that are jumping and are Legacy defining (Natural Order, Wasteland, dual lands, Lion's Eye Diamond, Mox Diamond, Force of Will, etc.) are not exactly scarce. They are cheaper than Tarmogoyf and Baneslayer Angel and have lower price tags than those newer cards, so what is the risk of printing those old "staples"? If they reprint them before they get to $50 they have less chance of alienating these hypothetical collectors.

Amen, brotha.
    Aug 2009
    Bamberg / Franconia / Bavaria / Germany

Well, I doubt they will reprint Wasteland in a set. Textless would be a possibility, so would FtV.
    But seriously, they won't reprint Wasteland. LD, accessible by every deck? No way in the current standard.

Dec 2006
    Minnesota

What I personally would love to see would be Chronicles II with all good cards this time around. They should print it in such limited amounts that retailers should only receive say one box at the bottom level on up from there to a max of say 3 boxes for Gold stores? It would be such a limited run that people would have to have dibs on like 1 pack to avoid hording. They could include 4 rarity tiers with foils of each. I'm not really sure about cards like duels or power (maybe inserted like the treasure cards?), but they could include all the classics and cards that see competitive play in eternal formats or in nostalgic winning decks from days gone by. I hate that all these supposedly super limited release sets have a static number of cards and there is no mystery when opening them. Part of collecting and part of Magic is to gamble on the pack you purchase. I'm pretty sure if Wizards did it right, this set would be a hit in both the primary and secondary market. They would have to keep the print run to like say 5,000-10,000 boxes? Does that sound right?

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

10,000 boxes? For the whole world? That would make the cards in them even more expensive.
    The Source: Your Source for "The Source: Your Source for..." cliche.

Sep 2007
    MN

What do people anticipate some legacy cards will settle at regarding the recent risers?

Loyal Retainers
    Tabernacle at P Vale
    Show and Tell
    Dream Halls
    etc

Feb 2009

Quote Originally Posted by conboy31 View Post
    What do people anticipate some legacy cards will settle at regarding the recent risers?
    Loyal Retainers - No idea, sky's the limit for P3K cards.

Tabernacle at P Vale - I think this is about as expensive as it will get, but probably won't be going back down anytime soon.

Dream Halls/Show and Tell - Both of these will probably settle around 12-15.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Quote Originally Posted by conboy31 View Post

Loyal Retainers
    Tabernacle at P Vale
    Show and Tell
    Dream Halls
    etc
    I think Dream Halls and Show and Tell will likely be less than Natural Order. The deck is more fragile and requires a whole deck built around it as opposed to the NO+Prog "combo", which only requires those five cards and can be shoehorned into a number of "shells". Even relatively creatureless decks can use Dryad Arbor and fetchlands to facilitate it. I think NO+Prog has already proven itself to be tier 1 or at least 1.75 , whereas Dream Halls.dec won a bit but not consistently and we will have to see how it does now that everyone will know what it is and how to play against it.

I don't want to speculate on the others because I would be talking out of my anus.

Aug 2006
    Philly

Basically what Majikal said should hold true. I doubt that Show and Tell/ Dream Halls will go up much more and possibly could drop because the deck isn't gaining too much steam at this point. I think that Tabernacle may go up a bit more beyond what it has reached for a brief period but will possibly drop down a bit from that point and reach a plateau. MMogg I really don't think that Show and Tell/ Dream Halls can end up more than Natural Order because of how widely Natural Order is played compared to Show and Tell.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

I think Dream Halls and Show and Tell will likely be less than Natural Order.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmagzoo7 View Post
    MMogg I really don't think that Show and Tell/ Dream Halls can end up more than Natural Order because of how widely Natural Order is played compared to Show and Tell.
    Neither do I. As I said, and explained fully already.

Thread Information