Page 52 of 343 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    The term "Solomoxen" has been around as long as people have been writing about Type I, in case you were wondering.
    Seriously. It's even sometimes 8 or 9 (or 13!) now since Chrome Mox was printed and Mana Crypt was recognized as hella good and restricted and everyone plays one in storm (and other) decks and there's Mox Opals to think about.

Also I'm appalled that dahcmai posted a decklist that uses City of Brass to cast all of THREE non-blue spells, instead of using Mystical Tutor and Brainstorm, though maybe Wheel of Fortune was a necessary evil back in the pre-storm combo days.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Mystical didn't really do much. You were going to get a draw 7 again with as many as there were so you just didn't have to search them up. Heh, if anything, Vampiric wasn't restricted. As for City of Brass, it's actually just oddly enough the best pick. The duals might leave you missing a color and you aren't going to get another land drop again, the deck also played Crop Rotation and Balance in the board. It was 5 color. It's not like you went past the first turn and cared about that life loss anyway. You got to just play away and not care about your life total ever. Brainstorm just sucks compared to Stroke, Wheel and Windfall in a deck that can power out ungodly amounts of mana pretty easily first turn. You were only going to see Force of Will and had to punch through a couple of those at worst. That was easy enough.

I'm surprised people haven't heard the term solomoxen before. I thought most people used to hit up the Mana Drain / Beyond Dominaria at least once in a while. I figured if anything, someone from SCG would've wrote with that term at least once lately.

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    I'm surprised people haven't heard the term solomoxen before.
    Perhaps because it's still a horrible term, regardless of age. The unnecessary of grouping unlike items together for the sake of having a hip nerd slang term is a little ridiculous. The explanation only gives it that unwashed gamer geek vibe. Something I'd expect to hear from the dude that shows up to play week after week in the same faded anime shirt and sporting a bad peach fuzz mustache.

If that's what you do with your first five posts on this site, you can do that somewhere else. Ciao. - Bardo
    Last edited by Bardo; 12-29-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Feb 2004
    Clifton Park, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Oil View Post
    Perhaps because it's still a horrible term, regardless of age. The unnecessary of grouping unlike items together for the sake of having a hip nerd slang term is a little ridiculous. The explanation only gives it that unwashed gamer geek vibe. Something I'd expect to hear from the dude that shows up to play week after week in the same faded anime shirt and sporting a bad peach fuzz mustache.
    So a quick way to say in an article or a discussion "your most broken artifact mana acceleration that is a core of your manabase" is a grrouping of unlike items that makes you feel nerdy.

You do know you're posting on a Magic: the Gathering forum, right?

Kettle, meet Pot. Pot, meet Kettle.

If you are going to waste posts ( a whoppin 4 at this point ) making semi-inflammatory comments about things you don't like, why don't you drag yourself back over to 4chan and fap to the furries. Because if these 4 posts are any indicator, we really won't be missing out on anything with your lack of posting here.
    Team Albany: What's Legacy?

You cannot know the sweetness of Victory, without first dwelling in the agony of Defeat.

Mar 2010
    faster harder Scooter!

I always thought the most common word for 'that bunch of restricted broken artifact mana accelleration in the Vintage format' was 'the jewelry'. Whatever happened to that one?

May 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA

Solomoxen is a term I've known for a while. I guess that since Vintage is on the outs and legacy is in means all the new blood haven't heard the term. Perhaps the people that don't know the term didn't follow themanadrain.com for the last ten years, or the dojo back when it was big. I know that I was a forum wallflower for well over a decade and that was several years ago. Anyway, the term is specific and well known.

Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    So a quick way to say in an article or a discussion "your most broken artifact mana acceleration that is a core of your manabase" is a grrouping of unlike items that makes you feel nerdy.
    Exactly how often do vintage articles need to refer to those 7 specific artifacts? And how is Sol Ring one of the "most broken" when compared to a first turn crypt/vault?

Quote Originally Posted by Sims View Post
    You do know you're posting on a Magic: the Gathering forum, right?
    You know this is thread about the rising costs of card prices, not a brag about a once broken 12 year old deck that is now in a non-existent format, right?

There should be a capsize somewhere in your academy list, dachmai. I know because I used to loop it with candelabrum to make infinite mana with Academy and 9 (!) other artifacts.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Yeah, there should be, but it's an old list. I don't have a copy of the one I had right as they got restricted to death.

Solomoxen wasn't my idea. lol It's a thing the Mana Drain guys came up with, I think. No clue really, but I liked that term. Much easier than typing out a set of cards that were in virtually every deck.

Anyway, back on subject. Is it just me or have foils took a serious dive lately? I managed to get a bunch of them I have been hunting for next to nothing lately. Picked up a Rebuild, Grim Lavamancers (Torment ones), Reverent Silence, Accumulated Knowledge playset, playset of Scourge Siege Gangs, and a few other choice goodies for pennies on the dollar just this week and was starting to wonder what's going on? I'm getting these too easy. Must be the depression of the pocketbooks from Christmas or something.

Though some other cards I can't seem to touch still so it's not everything, just mainly foils. There's a really cheap lot of foils going on right now that have a set of Torment Cabal Therapies in it. I was tempted, but I don't really need any of the rest of it and hate reselling that much stuff as singles. Hunt for foil Garruck lavamancer and you'll find it. Good deal for what it is, but you'll have to actually need a lot of it to make it worth it. Reselling that much would be a pain.

Anyone else get some oddly good deals lately?

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

It's after Christmas, many people are in need of money to pay bills, and therefore good deals can be had by those with money to spend :P

-Matt

Feb 2010
    Houston,texas

I didn't want to start a thread on a question that has some relevancy here: Can anyone foresee LED being banned anytime soon? I was given a small stipend (what magic money basically is when you're married) for Christmas (100 bucks) and want either a playset of LEDs or Dark Confidants. I own damn near all of TES except LEDs and 1 or 2 duels. I own damn near all of Deadguy ale except for Dark Confidants. I've never played combo in legacy so am totally leaning toward the LEDs but would hate to buy them if they are suspected to banning. Thanks guys!

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Oiolosse View Post
    I didn't want to start a thread on a question that has some relevancy here: Can anyone foresee LED being banned anytime soon? I was given a small stipend (what magic money basically is when you're married) for Christmas (100 bucks) and want either a playset of LEDs or Dark Confidants. I own damn near all of TES except LEDs and 1 or 2 duels. I own damn near all of Deadguy ale except for Dark Confidants. I've never played combo in legacy so am totally leaning toward the LEDs but would hate to buy them if they are suspected to banning. Thanks guys!
    LEDs probably have the potential to be banned (at least more so than Dark Confidant), but I don't think it's very likely, so I wouldn't factor that into your decision.

LEDs are also much more valuable than Deadguy Ale, so if you can pick them both up for the same price, it should be easy. (Or if your wife is okay with you going for either set.)

Both see play in a variety of decks, but TES is a much stronger deck than Deadguy Ale, if you feel comfortable piloting combo. You may eventually want to pick up Confidants anyway if you do play Dark Ritual storm combo though.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    It's after Christmas, many people are in need of money to pay bills, and therefore good deals can be had by those with money to spend :P

-Matt
    I think a lot of people are also spending X-Mas money on MTG cards. I expected to scoop up good deals so close to the holidays but nothing seems to be budging yet...
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

I kind of doubt LED just for the sheer fact that not many people can even play TES worth a crap. It's odds of actually becoming a deck people complain enough about to garner notice is pretty low. It's definitely a good deck, but difficult to pilot correctly. I highly recommend it! : D

Feb 2010
    Houston,texas

I kind of doubt LED just for the sheer fact that not many people can even play TES worth a crap. It's odds of actually becoming a deck people complain enough about to garner notice is pretty low. It's definitely a good deck, but difficult to pilot correctly. I highly recommend it! : D
    Thank you (and lord of the pit) for your response. Play testing with LED proxies feels like cheating so I can see the potential for a future banning. I think I will go ahead and grab the playset of those anyway. TES is difficult to play compared to most lists out there but the challenge makes it very fun! I won't be able to grab them till March anyway actually (campervan'ing New Zealand, yay!), so I'll keep my eye on future ban speculations.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Is it just me or have foils took a serious dive lately?
    I would like to finish my set of foil Intuitions, but hey, 45$ each? I also wanted a singleton foil Grim Monolith for my EDH, but it's overpriced everywhere.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

Quote Originally Posted by dontbiteitholmes View Post
    I think a lot of people are also spending X-Mas money on MTG cards. I expected to scoop up good deals so close to the holidays but nothing seems to be budging yet...
    A long time ago (2002) I got a Lotus for way under the going rate on Christmas day. Just follow the "seasons" for what feeds PTQs and as the season flips you should find lower prices on last season only type cards. E.g. Jace isn't going down wether it is Extended or T2 season. But a card that is only used in T2 might experience a dip when going to extended.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
    A long time ago (2002) I got a Lotus for way under the going rate on Christmas day. Just follow the "seasons" for what feeds PTQs and as the season flips you should find lower prices on last season only type cards. E.g. Jace isn't going down wether it is Extended or T2 season. But a card that is only used in T2 might experience a dip when going to extended.
    I think you can forget about getting any deals as far as Legacy this season. I think a combination of SCG coming up + X-Mas money for young ones + Survival banning shaking up format is creating a buying frenzy. Duals are retarded high right now, Seas are over 300 a playset again.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Any of you has a price idea of Holiday Special Cards? I just got Evil Presents ( Holiday 2008) for cheap (10 eur) and I'd like to know if I have to trust the 50$ they're selling it online....
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Mar 2009
    usa illinois

is it me or are volcanic islands really low right now ?

Thread Information