Page 262 of 343 FirstFirst ... 162212252258259260261262263264265266272312 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,240 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Feb 2015
    Germany

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie View Post
    Is buyout and/or Old School Magic also the reason the price of an AN Serendib Efreet has gone through the roof?
    Not just the Efreet, also many other cards that are played in the Oldschool Format. Chaos Orb, AN Erhnam, AN City of Brass, Su-Chi, Nevinyrrals Disk, Unlimited Duals and many more. This format was already expensive enough, but now its absurd

Hell, even City in a Bottle has gone through the roof and is now one of the most expensive cards in AN

Nov 2014
    Italy

This "format" is such a gold mine... I'm actually struggling to see a player base that will last for long with those prices...

Yes, I have a phone and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    Brainstorm is easy to play

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Did somebody just buyout Gaddock Teeg?

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Lor...ock+Teeg#paper

It's interesting that he's sold out stateside, but there's still plenty of him on MKM. So europeans can calm down.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by death View Post
    It's interesting that he's sold out stateside, but there's still plenty of him on MKM. So europeans can calm down.
    English NM starts on 13€. Dafuq is with the world?
    Also, I made a (small) mistake of not purchasing the Erhnams while they were cheap. Nevermind, I'll stick to Maro or Mystic Enforcer as my cmc4 creature of choice. (Not to mention tht I'll stick to my new "no casual decks".

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    English NM starts on 13€. Dafuq is with the world?
    Also, I made a (small) mistake of not purchasing the Erhnams while they were cheap. Nevermind, I'll stick to Maro or Mystic Enforcer as my cmc4 creature of choice. (Not to mention tht I'll stick to my new "no casual decks".
    shit, this morning I checked the price in mkm and after seeing them at 5-6€ I thought that it was just happening in USA, and now they are at +12€...

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Now the people who bought them wait for all those who will never play it but randomly decide they need it to start buying.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Now the people who bought them wait for all those who will never play it but randomly decide they need it to start buying.
    Exactly.
    Also: death, your new avatar is sexy. So is the girl in your post, althogh, quite frankly, she might get better glasses.

Well, Enchantress is no longer a budget deck anymore; Serra's Sanctum has almost doubled overnight to $70 because some folks in the MTG Finance sector have been pimping it as a "good EDH spec".

Bleh.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaican Zombie Legend View Post
    Well, Enchantress is no longer a budget deck anymore; Serra's Sanctum has almost doubled overnight to $70 because some folks in the MTG Finance sector have been pimping it as a "good EDH spec".

Bleh.
    Not be brash, but this card is fairly obvious a spec target ever since Theros block was announced. How could it not be a popular casual appeal?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Not be brash, but this card is fairly obvious a spec target ever since Theros block was announced. How could it not be a popular casual appeal?
    Yeah, yeah...I know, brother, I know. It has all the hallmarks of a card just waiting to spike: older, lower print-run, Reserve List, sees fringe Eternal play, and so on.

The thing is...it already spiked hard around Theros because the buyout brigade (using this term semi-facetiously) thought that Enchantress was going to be a sure thing in Legacy following an, ostensibly, "Enchantments Matter" block. What was once a 14 dollar card doubled to 30 and stayed there despite putting up zero competitive results. And now it's spiking again and pardon me if I don't think the demand is entirely organic. I'm calling shenanigans.

Price instability, as demonstrated by events like this, is one of the shittiest parts of contemporary Magic and there doesn't seem to be any end in sight. Every tournament, every supplemental product, every new tech...all of them are going to set off more panic buys and more insane price inflation, screwing over handfuls of people who were slowly saving towards a deck or certain cards, but now find they need to sock away twice as much (or more!) as before because the wonderful world of MTGFinance has juiced the market.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

...and it all goes back to the Reserved List.

How about that Relic of Progenitus though? All prints of that card are over $5 now. Jumped almost $2 in the past day.

Last night I saw a few playsets listed for $4 apiece plus shipping, same seller, and I bought them all, because considering the spike, it's a great deal. He later cancels the transaction, explains that he made a typo in the price (meant to list them at $14), and instantly refunds the money. Unfortunately I realize that he is under no obligation to fully deliver on the transaction, but it does come at the cost of reputation. This is something I didn't notice before; he had 9 negative feedbacks in the past month, but he had so much volume that his total feedback percentage was still 99.6%. In hindsight, I'm not surprised, but he's still a shitbag.

Aug 2010
    Cloggyland

Relic of Progenitus is a 4-of in the Modern Eldrazi Ramp decks that are suddenly popular in Modern. Exile your opponents graveyard (ie: fetchland), use Oblivion Sower and Blight Herder to ramp in the new Ulamog or Kozilek. Eldrazi Temple and Eye of Ugin help as well. It actually looks quite nice, for a Modern Deck...
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    Which is fine right now, because unless you live in the Netherlands, storm combo isn't a particularly big part of the metagame.

Where do you follow these price trends?

Here in Europe everything's still rather stable, athough the market tends to follow, slowly but surely, your crazy buyout bubles..

I hate making analogies like that, but damn U ass of A again greedly fucks every market possible for their own benefits (still remember that recent "world" economy criss?)

We need a puke emoji..

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaican Zombie Legend View Post

Bleh.
    Its actually been a good speculation target since gaea's cradle spiked. Wizards will never reprint a land like serras sanctum / cradle / tolarian academy. Sanctum is the only other land that hadent apiked and it was just a matter of time. The card was an amazing buy for 25 a little while ago. Consider trading 2 fetchlands for it... Imo thats a no brainer.

Madditionally, i think gaea's cradle is another good buy. More specifically foil cradles. itll never get a reprint and the land can ONLY get better as more green cards are printed.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miagi View Post
    Where do you follow these price trends?

Here in Europe everything's still rather stable, athough the market tends to follow, slowly but surely, your crazy buyout bubles..

I hate making analogies like that, but damn U ass of A again greedly fucks every market possible for their own benefits (still remember that recent "world" economy criss?)

We need a puke emoji..
    I use this - http://www.mtgstocks.com/interests

Pretty on the ball with price spikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Am I ever glad I stopped playing any format that requires actual cards...

I think there'd be way less price spikes if people analyzed cost vs reward.

For example, I played 160 hours of Skyrim. It cost me $30. That's a cost per hour of around 20 cents. To get that same enjoyment out of a $2000 Legacy deck, I'd have to play it for 20,000 hours.

"But you can sell it after you're done!". Which is true. So if I got 70% of what I paid for it, I'd only have to enjoy it for 6,000 hours. Whoop dee do.

Shit, a Legacy deck even compares unfavorably to an old BMW I have as a pleasure car. I've spend $6000 on it in the last year, including repairs, maintenance, mods, gas and insurance (edit: and purchase price too. Yeah, it was trashed). Drove 20k km at an average of 30km/h. Went to a dozen events, and had a lot of fun working on it on weekends. I'd say I got about 800 hours of entertainment out of it, so it cost me about $7.50 per hour of entertainment. I'd have to play a $2000 Legacy deck for 266 hours to get the same value.

tl;dr it was way more fun to play Legacy when decks cost $500.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    Am I ever glad I stopped playing any format that requires actual cards...

I think there'd be way less price spikes if people analyzed cost vs reward.

For example, I played 160 hours of Skyrim. It cost me $30. That's a cost per hour of around 20 cents. To get that same enjoyment out of a $2000 Legacy deck, I'd have to play it for 20,000 hours.

"But you can sell it after you're done!". Which is true. So if I got 70% of what I paid for it, I'd only have to enjoy it for 6,000 hours. Whoop dee do.

Shit, a Legacy deck even compares unfavorably to an old BMW I have as a pleasure car. I've spend $6000 on it in the last year, including repairs, maintenance, mods, gas and insurance. Drove 20k km at an average of 30km/h. Went to a dozen events, and had a lot of fun working on it on weekends. I'd say I got about 800 hours of entertainment out of it, so it cost me about $7.50 per hour of entertainment. I'd have to play a $2000 Legacy deck for 266 hours to get the same value.

Yeah, mtg can be fun, but not THAT fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    You'd get a lot more people playing too. But alas we don't.

Thread Information