Page 220 of 343 FirstFirst ... 120170210216217218219220221222223224230270320 ... LastLast
Results 4,381 to 4,400 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    God forbid we buy from the only people that care to support legacy. Also their prices on foreign stuff is reasonable from time to time
    They support Legacy for their own sake, not because they try to be the nice guys.

SCG is still the prime price gouger as far as Legacy is concerned. They rise the prices and the rest of the market follows suit.

They're a business and free to do whatever they like - including dropping Legacy support in favor of Modern.

It's like feeding starving people with slighty-poisoned food - while you might feel better now, it will kill you in the long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by Purgatory View Post
    I can buy FN USea for €95 and €45 Wastelands in Sweden.
    If those are NM there's your chance to make a few bucks by selling them on MKM for more, and at the same time sucking the staples out of your local playerbase. Happened with my local community some time back so we're stuck with 2 people having legacy cards instead of 20+ we used to get to nowadays non-existent local tournaments.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    Support Legacy my ass. We shall see how long they "support" us.
    They've done more for Legacy in the last 3-4 years than any other entity has. Obviously, they're doing it because it benefits them but the community has grown because of it as well.

I have no problems with them profiting when they put the work, time , and effort into promoting the format.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I can barely remember the days where you were able to buy/trade cards face to face without having a guy across who tries to make at least 30% extra in his favor.

Today I go to mkm, mail 2-3 sellers about discounts if I take this and that, buy that stuff, basta. I'm kinda reliefed that I don't have to spend 30min+ at a table just to see the other guy jumping off the trade last minute
    I'd sig this. Except that I don't even bother asking for discounts, unless I'm making some super special trade. As long as I got everything I need, there's hardly any reason to discuss discounts on "three Ponders, one Teferi's Response" kind of trades...

Also, I like how people in our lgs always come up with "I can buy XYZ for only ?*' crowns on MKM, so give me a 95% discount or I'll seduce your wife." Frankly, I laugh right into their faces and tell them to buy from MKM then, esp. if they love to pay fees and play the game of "will it finish in my mailbox or will it not finish it in my mailbox, and even if it will finish in my mailbox, what will be the condition?" that is so thrilling esp. speaking of "three Ponders, one Teferi's Response" kind of trades.

Otoh, with the advent of online selling and such stuff, it's much harder to get ripped, you simply check the [you name the site] and say "gg, bb, cya" to anyone not willing to offer you a reasonable sale.

Honestly, I think I may trade with one or two guys of our lgs, and there are several whom I always laugh at and send them farming the moment they ask about my binder. Silly, yes, but so they are.

tl,dr: I hate trading. I'd love to win a million crowns so that I don't need to do it.

Btw, what's happening with Karakas? Our shop had it for 1800 CZK around Christmas, now it's priced at 2300 and they got none. Is DnT sooo good?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

I just remembered about the guy i've met at BoM sunday. Spend 20 minutes of talking for a condition I can barely live with, he agrees, i get money, come back and he just tells me that he can get more elsewhere.

We are talking about a trade that was already clear in his favor.

Decided that I don't carry binders around anymore
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

I just remembered about the guy i've met at BoM sunday. Spend 20 minutes of talking for a condition I can barely live with, he agrees, i get money, come back and he just tells me that he can get more elsewhere.

Seriously. I only just recently started using MOTL and I'm already enjoying the relief from the throngs of Standard players offering Pack Rats for your dual lands.

A Whore's Limit Break Uses Anal
    Jun 2006
    Carbondale, IL

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    You have to be a pretty big asshat to buy from SCG. Just saying.
    Do I get a prize because I buy from them almost exclusively these days? Like, a bigger ass as a hat?
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    People arguing about which foil reprint is better is like a Mormon and a Scientologist having a history argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Don't you know that specifics are deadly poison to H. Machinus? They lack the enzymes to digest them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    What in the janky gay ninja hell is that 25th place deck?

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

I buy from SCG, just like any other online store/seller, when I find the best deal for a specific card I'm looking for. Also, SCG's card condition tends to be better and more accurate than some other online retail stores I've used frequently in the past.
    Discussing the impact of True-Name Nemesis on Legacy:

Quote Originally Posted by 2Rach View Post
    And format warping itself isn't necessarily a bad thing for that matter.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

I found some1 willing to sell me my last 2 DCI confidants, at BoM... I went and got cash, and 10 minutes later, he said "Well, I just found out I think they will go up in the future, so new price is 45$ more than before".....

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by TheAardvark View Post
    Do I get a prize because I buy from them almost exclusively these days? Like, a bigger ass as a hat?
    I most definitely don't use them exclusively. Just on mid range purchases where on TCG I'd have to go through multiple vendors to get what I want, but I don't see any reason to not buy from them if the deal is good. Of course my LGS is similarly priced, but at times I'm unhappy with their grading on condition.

And SCG supporting legacy is the reason that the format is even relevant. I don't feel bad supporting them for their tournaments. Prices suck ass right now, but if people keep buying them obviously the market at the set prices is there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

I think if the US cashes out to a degree and prices drop, Europe will yet again buy up the real estate and RL cards due to lower/competing prices. And the cycle resets itself if there is an abundance of cards under a price point which people are willing to pay. The Legacy scene goes indy and people keep the format alive regardless of a lack of support from WoTC(SCG). I'm no economist but it is a plausable way for things to head in five years or a decade's time. I hope I'm wrong, all that would suck worse than $300 USeas

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    I found some1 willing to sell me my last 2 DCI confidants, at BoM... I went and got cash, and 10 minutes later, he said "Well, I just found out I think they will go up in the future, so new price is 45$ more than before".....
    Well, the credo for private and professional traders within the MTG economy is: "If anyone is willing to pay the charged price, it's still too cheap to sell!"

Quote me on that
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

So many jaded Euros in this thread. SCG actually runs a pretty tight ship, and yes some of their prices are high on a few key staples and popular cards. However, they also sell a lot of other cards cheaper than you can find on eBay.

I'm also loving all the retarded comments about how <super pimped out scarce card> is too much for you to afford. There are always alternatives.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    I buy from SCG, just like any other online store/seller, when I find the best deal for a specific card I'm looking for. Also, SCG's card condition tends to be better and more accurate than some other online retail stores I've used frequently in the past.
    I don't buy much from SCG these days, but I do recognize that if I do, I'm paying for them having what I want in stock as well as not having any issues with grading, etc.

I've had much more problems with TCG sellers than I have SCG or even eBay sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    "I support overpriced and the most user unfriendly online card store that frequently manipulates with market prices because they run a few tournaments a year and make money on players that attend then mask that with good rewards."

Yeah, VIVA LA SCG!
    Funny you say "overpriced". If someone is willing to pay the price they set, it can't actually be overpriced - it's just what the market will bear.

I would call 40-50 tournaments a year and paying out 10k per tournament a bit more than "a few".

Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    However, they also sell a lot of other cards cheaper than you can find on eBay.
    This is true. They also stock rare and hard to find items that I can't easily find elsewhere, so I'll pay whatever for the convienece. Also, they're reputable, so you won't worry about getting ripped off on a high ticket item and their customer service team is pretty great (had a water damaged booster, was super easy to do an exchange and they threw in a couple goodies for my trouble).

Vatija Mlohavich
    May 2010
    Croatia

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    Funny you say "overpriced". If someone is willing to pay the price they set, it can't actually be overpriced - it's just what the market will bear.

I would call 40-50 tournaments a year and paying out 10k per tournament a bit more than "a few".
    It's a few. 40 tournaments where they make money, they're not altruits, they're doing this for a sole benefit of profit. They manipulate the market, they get inside info of new sets, and they inflate the prices of the cards artificially.
    The market bears it for now but people are not happy with the way it's going, and people need to be happy to continue to buy product. Happy customers happy company.

Also yeah, 40 tournaments is nothing. 400k in award money (is it money or is it store credit?) is almost nothing compared to what they make in product sales at those tournaments.
    Just calculate the price of admission multiply it with number of attendants, then subtract some fee for organisation and they'll still be in plus.

They're just glorified traders doing it for a sole purpose of profit. Nothing else.
    PTT (Formerly of MTT) - We make Champion

Aug 2011
    San Antonio, TX

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    "I support overpriced and the most user unfriendly online card store that frequently manipulates with market prices because they run a few tournaments a year and make money on players that attend then mask that with good rewards."

Yeah, VIVA LA SCG!
    SCG actually has the best customer service of the online magic shops. The cards they sell are actually in the conditions you buy them in and they don't cancel orders because the price spiked before they were able to ship them. They run more than a few legacy tournaments, they run a fuck ton of them, they even stream them online for players to watch. Also they don't mask anything, they are a business, which exist to make make money.

If you can't afford the price of legacy cards don't blame scg, who advocate getting rid of the reserve list btw, blame wizards for keeping the reserve list, blame hoarders who collect cards because they think its a retirement fund, blame players for paying high prices.

Long story short:
    SCG will restock their inventory, if the only way to get players to sell their underground seas is to raise their buylist close to tcg player prices thats what they will do.
    Don't hate the player hate the game.
    It's just bidness.
    Last edited by Aggro_zombies; 04-04-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

also, of course magic can be an Investment, and a very nice one indeed.

Im fucking horrible at stocks, but im pretty sure you need to be doing insider Trading to match value increase legacy staples have seen the last 4 years.

Im not so horrible at magics, and do very much so enjoy speculation.

The relevant discussion here should be about the ramifications of scg having the ability to dictate prices to a degree that other retailers cannot.

Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    The relevant discussion here should be about the ramifications of scg having the ability to dictate prices to a degree that other retailers cannot.
    The market leader has always been able to do that. The ramifications are that either (a.) the market marches to SCG's drum or (b.) the market will reject whatever SCG is doing and SCG will have to do the moving and shaking in order to accomodate the market.

I'm more interested in Wizards releasing godbooks to certain people/entities, while others are left out in the cold. I did not know of this apparently commonplace practice until recently. Seems pretty bogus to me.

Thread Information