Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Hybrid View

[Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Wasteland has just doubled its price in the last month. Star City is selling it for $25. Even Troll and Toad is offering this tempest rare land for $20. This cards, if I am not committing a mistake, closed the year 2009 in a healthy 10 dollars per each.

Mox Diamond was about $28 on October or so. I selled four of them for a hundred bucks just to find out that today, stores are willing to sell them for no less than $40.

Why is this happening?

I thought this was related to the Grand Prix of Madrid. But other staples are not getting that huge impact on their price tags. Force of Will is still $35 and even dual lands are in a stable moment right now (just some minor variations on Tropical Island).
    Last edited by Dice_Box; 07-06-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

The two biggest decks in the SCG 5ks are Merfolk and 43 Lands / Aggro Loam, and those two cards are in them.
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

43 Lands seems to be the biggest influence. It's quite good as long as Tendrils decks stay out of it's way. It explains the exorbitant price on Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale also.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
    Even Troll and Toad is offering this tempest rare land for $20.
    The thing is, it's an uncommon. I really hope they reprint Wasteland if only to keep the prices affordable. Great does not equal broken, and I don't think they should foster an environment of $20+ uncommons. Hell, Birds of Paradise used to be worth something when I first started playing and now it's just a $5 rare and black bordered, and all because of printing it over and over.

Anyway, how many more price threads are we going to see in 2010?
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

... Whoah, people use Mox Diamond in Merfolk now?
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Dr. Edge
    Sep 2008
    Boston, MA

Obviously not

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

It has alot to do with the GPs coming up. Alot of players that are going to go to them aren't Legacy players. So they will have to pick up cards to play the "hot decks". So SCG and the like can't really get away with charging a stupid amount for LoA.

Also Wasteland is played in alot of other decks in Legacy as well. As for Tabernacle and Mox Diamond, there isn't alot those cards out there. The Stores know that, that's why they offer a big amount for them and sell for alot also.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brushwagg View Post
    It has alot to do with the GPs coming up. Alot of players that are going to go to them aren't Legacy players. So they will have to pick up cards to play the "hot decks". So SCG and the like can't really get away with charging a stupid amount for LoA.

Also Wasteland is played in alot of other decks in Legacy as well. As for Tabernacle and Mox Diamond, there isn't alot those cards out there. The Stores know that, that's why they offer a big amount for them and sell for alot also.
    Waste also seems to party all day in slower Vintage metas too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Loyal Retainers also saw a rise in price, before Iona was printed it was an obscure rare uncommon, but now I don't see any on Ebay and english ones are up to 95 Euro on Magickartenmarkt.

I can make this pencil disappear.

Jul 2006
    Santa Barbara

Prices. They drove me out.

I just stopped by to mention that I have finally quit magic. I've been playing since revised and took a hiatus for about 1-2 years shortly after the Mercadian Masques cycle. Since I came back, I've been playing exclusively Legacy (and former type 1.5). I've had a lot of fun playing, reading up on all the decks (I lurked a lot), and watching the format grow to what it is today.

There are multiple reasons I'm quitting; the biggest is the price point of newer cards. Another factor was that I was spending too much time (1-3 hrs more-or-less daily) reading the forums and keeping up with the format (hopefully I'll use that time for more productive things, but it looks like I may just end up spending most of it playing HoN).

A year ago, I had enough cards to make about 75% of legacy decks, and keeping up with Legacy usually meant I only had to get sets of 1 or 2 cards from each new expansion. This cost around 10$-20$ per card (tarmogoyf not withstanding), now it seems that just to keep up I have to buy 2-4 sets per expansion that cost 20-50$ per card (and no, I'm not a poor college/high school student, I have a good job as a software developer). Legacy has finally reached a point for me where enjoyment < cost.

IMO the biggest reason for the dramatic price increase is the mythic rare rarity, any chase mythic rares go for ~2x of a regular rare; another factor (I think this is less significant) is the increased popularity of the Legacy format. The thing that really irritates me about the whole thing is that the price has been artificially inflated, I have less of a problem dropping 300(+) bones on some seas than on a (lot of) new mythic(s).

Now I don't believe for an instant that wizard is really concerned with one player, especially one who played fairly infrequently in the first place. I'm definitely in the minority as Legacy is thriving and doing well (the best shape it's ever been in?), but I have the feeling that I'm not the only one upset by the increased cost (ha! look at what thread I'm posting in. EDIT: Was originally gonna post this in the "Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard" thread). So this brings me to my question, what is your limit? How high can (Legacy) staples go before you decide it isn't worth it? (I don't think prices are still rising, this is just for the sake of discussion).

Anyway, I've decided to hold on to all my cards as I feel like most of them are going to continue to rise in price (unless neo-legacy happens), and because I'm way to lazy to put them on ebay and ship them out. Also, if prices drop it'd be nice to have the ability to get back into the game, but to be honest, it somehow feels good not playing anymore.

Good bye.

P.S. Check out the music group, The Glitch Mob. Edit: That didn't work, too tired to fix it. Fixed -Jander
    Last edited by Jander78; 09-24-2010 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Corrected url.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    For example, if your friend steals your ice cream cone, and you start chasing him only to have a large weretiger jump out from behind a parked car and go "ROAR" in your face, only to then have said weretiger be struck by a bolt of lightning and be reduced to a smoldering catpile, you are probably going to be like "Wtf just happened" for at least a few brief moments while your friend escapes with your ice cream cone. And if you aren't distracted, you have Trample.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Re: Prices. They drove me out.

People quit Magic the way they quit WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

I can hardly think of recent 4-ofs. Also, I've noticed how other non-mythic staples aren't all that expensive. DoJ, a 4-of in many decks in T2 is only 2.50, compared to the 10 dollars for WoG. Rare lands have also been more inexpensive lately.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinizer View Post
    I can hardly think of recent 4-ofs. Also, I've noticed how other non-mythic staples aren't all that expensive. DoJ, a 4-of in many decks in T2 is only 2.50, compared to the 10 dollars for WoG. Rare lands have also been more inexpensive lately.
    I think hes talking about Vengevines and planeswalkers (the mythic rare creatures in general).

Besides, would you play with M11 or Scars of Mirrodin dual lands in this format?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Dec 2006
    Spain

I will play Scars Duals if I want to go budget. Some decks only play 3-4 lands, so is cheaper and almost equal to play old Duals.

You can start with Scars Duals, and buy 1-2 old Duals and some Fetchs, this make easier to get a good manabase.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    I think hes talking about Vengevines and planeswalkers (the mythic rare creatures in general).

Besides, would you play with M11 or Scars of Mirrodin dual lands in this format?
    I said "Non-mythic". Vengevine is a mythic. It's also only good in one or two Legacy decks. But I agree. The price of mythics has become insane. I blame speculators.

I now see a slight possibility of Jtms in ftv20 :)

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

Quote Originally Posted by joretapo View Post
    I now see a slight possibility of Jtms in ftv20 :)
    WotC marginally cares for Legacy/Vintage, it's cards and prices. Since Jace TMS is neither Standard or Modern legal I doubt they bother about Jace TMS reprints.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    WotC marginally cares for Legacy/Vintage, it's cards and prices. Since Jace TMS is neither Standard or Modern legal I doubt they bother about Jace TMS reprints.
    It's still an iconic money card, though.

Otherwise, we would already have FoW reprints in some kind of form.

Edit: Jace in FTV: 20 would still sell a bazillion units (or whatever print number is).

This is why i said slightly, but they also proved they understood that money cards sells sets (thoughtseize / mutavault / ooze in m14 and modern masters) and are prepared to print them somewhat regardless of the secondary market impact.
    Anyway it is wishfull thinking i do not really expect it i just see a possibility now as before i was pretty much sure it wouldn t happen considering previous releases

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

some of the more niche cards have really come down
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Thread Information