Page 216 of 343 FirstFirst ... 116166206212213214215216217218219220226266316 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,320 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jamesh View Post
    Black Lotus at $3000 on SCG.
    lol ok

So much for that Unlimited set!

I think I'll just finish Collector's Edition and International Collector's Edition and call it a day!

Mar 2007
    RI

Quote Originally Posted by TheAardvark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    ...keep all your staples in perfect fits at all times, that way when you want to put a deck together you only have to sleeve it once (with the normal sleeves). It takes a while initially to get all your stuff in the perfect fits, but it's easy from then on, just keep extra perfect fits around for when you pick up new cards.
    What I've moved to (note: this is for EDH, so YMMV for other formats) is buying a ton of Perfect Fits and a ton of my preferred sleeves and just double sleeving everything in one type of sleeve. Not sure how viable this is for others, but it's great for me.
    Admiral_Arzar is definitely on point. Perfect fitting one's collection seems like a given to me at this point. The value on things is obscene and preserving any degree of condition in the transition from deck to deck or collection to deck is worth multiple times the ~4ish cents per Perfect Fit.

TheAardvark's suggestion might work for some and may be function better with certain sleeves, but as a user of KMCs (Mat and Super) I find that sleeve wear is a thing and for instance if I sleeved my collection in KMC Matte Blacks - my Wastelands, Brainstorms, Swords to Plowshares, Delver of Secrets, etc would show substantial difference in sleeve wear than Ancient Tomb, Dark Ritual, Liliana of the Veil, Nimble Mongoose - what have you. I suppose also a factor worth noting is I tend to only have 1 or maybe 2 Legacy decks sleeved at a given time. I use a set of 75-80 sleeves for whatever deck I'm playing until the corners start to crease or wear becomes substantial. In general the core MD cards start to become more worn than the less commonly SB'd cards and then I swap to new sleeves and resign the 50ish most similarly worn sleeves to my set for Drafting. I figure the sleeves last me about 2 months this way - 1 month as Constructed deck sleeves and 1 month as Limited - w/e that works out to $6-7 a month for a set of new KMCs.
    TPDMC

Black Lotus at $3000 on SCG.
    Definitely never powering my URx Landstill deck or Merfolk for vintage at this point then ):
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JPoJohnson View Post
    Definitely never powering my URx Landstill deck or Merfolk for vintage at this point then ):
    They're not selling any for $3k, though.

Nov 2010
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by pandaman View Post
    They're not selling any for $3k, though.
    That's not important, SCG drives the price - this will lead to rises across the board.
    mtgpimp

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

That's not important, SCG drives the price - this will lead to rises across the board.
    True that.
    Black Lotus has seen a $1500+ retail price increase over the last year and a half. People are still buying though.

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

Yea, you could get EX Lotus for around €600 in Europe, now the price is more like €900. The rest of the power is on the rise as well, especially since November. Call me crazy but I think Vintage Master is having/will have an impact on the paper Vintage prices.
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

This is the concerning part of the issue. You always see prices rise in the direction of what SCG has it set at, especially when they rise their buying price, because that will be the floor of the selling price.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
    - Albert Einstein

I think it also partially has to do with the popularity of Vintage decreasing prior to ~2009/2010 which was when the game became much more popular so prices were stagnant for a while but are now starting to pick up from a combination of the newer player bases increased interest in the format from vintage masters and scg capitalizing on that.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs View Post
    Call me crazy but I think Vintage Master is having/will have an impact on the paper Vintage prices.
    I don't think it's crazy.

Tarmogoyf's and Bob's prices were even higher after Modern Masters was released, despite more copies being in circulation, simply due to increased demand from new interest in the format.

I can see the upcoming Vintage Masters on MODO having the same effect.

Does anyone know why Ancient Tomb is a $20 card all of a sudden? Did I miss something? Did someone write an article saying it should be more than an $8-$10 card?

Because Wasteland is now $130 on SCG...

A Wasteland Story:

I've had the same playset of wastelands since about 10 years or so when I picked them up for Type 1. When wasteland first came out it was thought to be just a crappy strip mine and had a nominal value. When it became a Type 1 staple it became a $3-5 card. I was broke back then and trading for wastelands and a guy had one that had been used as a proxy for Stabilizer and valued it at $1 in trade. Since it was going to be sleeved I didn't care and I've played with this wasteland for years. This past year I finally picked up a 5th wasteland at a SCG open with some store credit (it was around $50 at the time) and my Stabilizer wasteland was moved to an EDH deck.

Not that I ever plan to get rid of this wasteland because it has some sentimental value, but I'm curious as to what you guys think it would be worth with Stabalizer written on the back? $50? $75???

Also- with regards to Lotus at $3000, I have felt that Power cards are primed for a big price jump for the last year or so because of two things - The 20th year anniversary of the game and Vintage coming to MODO. In anticipation of this I picked up some BB power that I was missing last year to finish my set of BB power. I think that once power arrives to MODO in June it's going to go up even more in price. If you want to get power, I would not wait any longer... Just saying.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

As long as it is sleeve playable I wouldnt value it less than 100 probably.

Heres my tourney legacy but beat to shit 25 dollar special

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Depending on how it shows up in a sleeve, that might not be playable either. Creased cards tend to reflect their crease onto the sleeve, and the wear on the sleeve will make it apparent.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Nov 2010
    New Zealand

Yea, you could get EX Lotus for around €600 in Europe, now the price is more like €900. The rest of the power is on the rise as well, especially since November.
    Yes. Lotus leads the way but all the rest of the power nine (and time vault) will follow. The days of buying relatively cheap moxes are coming to an end.
    mtgpimp

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Depending on how it shows up in a sleeve, that might not be playable either. Creased cards tend to reflect their crease onto the sleeve, and the wear on the sleeve will make it apparent.
    LOL its amazing how many of my hand me downs float around Atlanta.

Yea, you could get EX Lotus for around €600 in Europe, now the price is more like €900. The rest of the power is on the rise as well, especially since November. Call me crazy but I think Vintage Master is having/will have an impact on the paper Vintage prices.
    This is a sound opinion. I think people who were curious but didn't buy in will get the chance to play on MODO and finalize their decisions based on their experiences online.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    I recently bought a 15 USD Foil Emrakul off TCGPlayer that was bent to hell and back. Ironing it + placing it under some speakers on a flat surface have made it sleeve safe and perfectly playable. For 15 USD I couldn't resist and I'm glad I didn't. In retrospect the ironing probably wasn't necessary and I could've just speaker'd it but ironing suprisingly didn't damage the card further and really helped it bend to my will :)

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    LOL its amazing how many of my hand me downs float around Atlanta.
    You selling your beat up/shitty language legacy staples for good prices is a way of community building

#NoRegrets

Dont forget your Mexican Jitte that you just gave me or the Italian Mox Diamond

Like I said, I havent had any issues with it so far so whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

That Wasteland might be in fact quite an expensive, look, it's got a story! I think I'll start selling fake "Stabalizer" Wastes.

Oct 2013
    New York

Im trying to build lands and this price explosion is getting ridiculous. Waste is at 130, port is 120, depths is 45-50, dual and fetches and tabernacle are what they are. Even Exploration is 35 bucks. Is there any end in sight?
    Last edited by Blakroc; 03-29-2014 at 08:29 PM.

Thread Information