Page 248 of 343 FirstFirst ... 148198238244245246247248249250251252258298 ... LastLast
Results 4,941 to 4,960 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    Just like Karakas and a bunch of other uncommons :eyeroll:
    My bad guys. Get over it
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Drain is on the Reserved list, but since they started to include a Portal 3 Kindoms card in every of the last few Judge Promo announcements, speculating on Imperial Seal is valid.

@Damnation
    The price has no legitimation as so many EDH cards have since the format became an official format called Commander and the prices quadrupled. Dack Fayden is 300$ in FOIL and even cards considered completely unplayable in other formats now cost serious money. Have you looked up Karmic Guides in FOIL? Jesus Christ! The whole Commander format is a single artificial pricebubble without related demand.
    Mana Drain isn't on the Reserved List. No uncommon is on the Reserved List.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I'm going to assume your area isn't big into casual. In which case you have no way of knowing you are wrong... but EDH's popularity will outlive Legacy's. I'm not saying that due to liking one over the other. EDH is playable among the masses regardless of the Reserved List (can't get a copy of Damnation, sucks for you buddy. You have to use Mutilate instead). The Reserved List is a realistic threat to Legacy's long term viability. EDH is also a cash cow for WotC now (Commander... ugh). Again, I am not saying EDH>Legacy, just that EDH will be around longer as a viable format. And I am again basing that on statistics I made up, but are also correct.

Edit: INB4 but Damnation isn't on the Reserve List!
    Substitute Underground Sea and Watery Grave for Damnation and Mutilate if you have a problem with me using the phrase "reserve list" in a sentence without referencing cards that are actually on it... my point is the same.
    I also think Commander will keep growing. And one of the reasons is precisely the Reserved List. As you don't need 4 Underground Sea, you just keep 1, sell the other 3, and now there are 4 players instead of just 1 (or you just lend them to friends). And therefore there are more players in the same area, so more tournaments are organized. And as more tournaments are organized, more people discover the format and also start playing, etc. (the network effect is very important for Magic, nobody makes a deck of a format that nobody plays).

Jul 2014
    Indiana

Also, you don't have to have $100+ lands to build a fairly competitive EDH deck. Is it easier to win if you do? Yeah, probably, but that's true about basically every format in Magic.

And while I'm not convinced any of these judge foils will make a huge splash in Legacy, as someone trying to build a cube, anything that gets a Ravages of War reprint is a-ok by me.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    I also think Commander will keep growing. And one of the reasons is precisely the Reserved List. As you don't need 4 Underground Sea, you just keep 1, sell the other 3, and now there are 4 players instead of just 1 (or you just lend them to friends). And therefore there are more players in the same area, so more tournaments are organized. And as more tournaments are organized, more people discover the format and also start playing, etc. (the network effect is very important for Magic, nobody makes a deck of a format that nobody plays).
    On the other hand I would gladly loose 4 EDH-players in my community and turn their decks into one legacydeck with one of them playing legacy. EDH brings nothing to the table for us that dont touch the format with plyers.

Nov 2014
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    On the other hand I would gladly loose 4 EDH-players in my community and turn their decks into one legacydeck with one of them playing legacy. EDH brings nothing to the table for us that dont touch the format with plyers.
    That's why I always have two legacy decks. I rather give one of them to a friend that wants to play legacy instead of Modern or EDH.
    Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    Brainstorm is easy to play

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    I think most of us would be happy to see Legacy prices go down, more players join Legacy and/or have the Legacy community grow in general.

But WoTC is in the business of making money and EDH player, kitchen-table magic players specifically, are what sell product. Instead of dealing with the hassle of removing the Reserve list, it is much easier for WoTC, to keep printing casual geared product and grow the casual player base.

Growing the Commander lets them sell more Duel decks, Commander decks and provides incentives for judges with sweet Casual promos among other things. While this happens, they keep the reserve list intact and don't have to deal with a vocal portion of speculators that WILL complain or even sue if WoTC announces that the Reserve List is no longer an entity. That is my opinion.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    Mana Drain isn't on the Reserved List. No uncommon is on the Reserved List.
    Actually, there are a number of uncommons on the Reserved List, mainly due to how rares and uncommons were classified in the old days (U1 or U2 vs. U3, etc.). I'm not going to list any of the many U2s and U1s here, since we would classify them as rares today. But these are the U3s, or what we would classify as uncommons under the current system:

Bazaar of Baghdad
    Citanul Druid
    Damping Field
    Gate to Phyrexia
    Haunting Wind
    Khabal Ghoul
    Library of Alexandria
    Martyrs of Korlis
    Merchant Ship
    Mightstone
    Powerleech
    Sandals of Abdallah
    Su-Chi
    Transmute Artifact
    Weakstone

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

Quote Originally Posted by Plague Sliver View Post

Also a shame they won't do literary quotations anymore, case in point: Wasteland
    Yeah, T.S. Eliot's Wasteland is the best wasteland.
    Team Blood, Beijing.
    Currently play: Sneaky Show/ Lands

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinZ View Post
    Yeah, T.S. Eliot's Wasteland is the best wasteland.
    That's one of the only foil cards I would ever play.

-Matt

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I don't get the bitching about the new Wasteland art. It isn't the best thing ever, but it's solid. The frame, though...

Quote Originally Posted by mishima_kazuya View Post
    Growing the Commander lets them sell more Duel decks, Commander decks and provides incentives for judges with sweet Casual promos among other things. While this happens, they keep the reserve list intact and don't have to deal with a vocal portion of speculators that WILL complain or even sue if WoTC announces that the Reserve List is no longer an entity. That is my opinion.
    Does a class action suit even have a realistic chance to succeed? I know it's America where you can sue for all kinds of stupid shit and win, but still...

That said, I don't give a shit about the RL anymore. Asian fake card quality seems to be increasing quite a bit lately. It's only a matter of time now until they're perfect and then the prices will crash since a) demand can be fulfilled with cheap fakes and b) people are afraid to move their real cards/buy cards. And Wizards brought it upon themselves with their retarded police that does nothing but harm, just so that a few assholes can play stock market with cardboard.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I agree, the new Wasteland is gorgeous, I just wish it would have been old frame. That would have been a sick surprise.

-Matt

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

I always wonder what would happen if WotC technically sold the IP of Magic to a third party. Would the Reserved List still be binding? After all it's not inherent to Magic as an IP, just a promise of the company owning it how they will or will not distribute the product.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    I always wonder what would happen if WotC technically sold the IP of Magic to a third party. Would the Reserved List still be binding? After all it's not inherent to Magic as an IP, just a promise of the company owning it how they will or will not distribute the product.
    The third party company could reprint the RL staples into oblivion and drown in the tears of speculators - unless the deal somehow includes the condition not the reprint RL stuff (not happening since nobody in the business world gives a damn about that). The "promise" of Wizards is already questionable as legal base, but anybody else isn't bound by it in any form.

Didn't the initial copyright of MtG run out in 2013 and was prolonged?

Quote Originally Posted by Plague Sliver View Post
    Dude, Feldon of the Third Path is busted in half...AND he's a Tiny Leader

/sarcasm

I only wish they would update Karakas with art that doesn't suck. I am forced to rock the original Karakas because foil printing is THAT bad.

Also a shame they won't do literary quotations anymore, case in point: Wasteland
    They still do, just on cards that don't matter. I think there was a card in m15 with a Shakespeare quote.

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I'm one of the new-boarder-only-for-conform-look freaks.

Seriously, why should Damnation or Dualcaster Mage get a fucking Judge Promo?
    Literally the only person on the planet upset about a Damnation reprint.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I am shocked Dual got the shiny treatment over TNN.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by mini1337s View Post
    Literally the only person on the planet upset about a Damnation reprint.
    Maybe "the only person on the planet" who thinks that such a card should be in Modern Masters as a Modern Legal card and that the Judge Foils would serve better for cards which can't be reprinted in a Modern legal set like FoWs/TNNs/SFMs/etc.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Perhaps, but that's far from Wizards vision of the Judge Rewards program. Otherwise we would not have over half of the cards in the Judge program geared towards commander or Cube. It's by no means a process to get cards into legacy.

Maybe I'm just a cynic, but I see the Judge Rewards Promos as a means to "pay" the judges for all their hard work without getting into all sorts of international tax law messes. And let's be real...foil Legacy staples are a much better payout than some $40 card with ~$120 foils from a relatively recent set.

Thread Information