Page 101 of 343 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

Quote Originally Posted by John Cox View Post
    Wasn't it given out at Gp London (2005) or something? I for some reason thought it was a foil that had an association with a GP.
    Judge foils are given to judges at GPs and PTs, yes. 2005 is probably around the right time frame for Sol Ring.

Judge foils are currently only distributed for one year and then retired, so only about 1600-2200 are given out, total, worldwide. Older foils were a bit more random in distribution, but Sol Ring was one of the more limited ones.

GP foils are given to everyone that enters, so they end up relatively common.
    Last edited by cdr; 06-23-2011 at 06:53 PM.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

I was wondering if now would be the best time to buy Primeval titans (just two, not for speculation). It's about to be reprinted, so it might go lower, but if it's still standard playable, then It might go back up. What did it used to be, 45 USD a piece?

3-point-shooter

Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Judge foils are given to judges at GPs and PTs, yes. 2005 is probably around the right time frame for Sol Ring.

Judge foils are currently only distributed for one year and then retired, so only about 1400-1800 are given out. Older foils were a bit more random in distribution, but Sol Ring was one of the more limited ones.

GP foils are given to everyone that enters, so they end up relatively common.
    Does the number of judge foils from last year top at 1800? I don't see why Phyrexian Dreadnought is only 25$.

Quote Originally Posted by tsabo_tavoc View Post
    Does the number of judge foils from last year top at 1800? I don't see why Phyrexian Dreadnought is only 25$.
    No more than 2200 max by my math, and probably a little less than that. And quite a few judges keep theirs and those never enter the market, so quite a few less than that are actually available. John Alderfer alone probably takes 50+ of every foil out of circulation every year.

And yes, judge foils are generally undervalued IMO. I don't think people start to price in the rarity until they suddenly stop being available when they rotate.

Quote Originally Posted by hyperchord24 View Post
    I was wondering if now would be the best time to buy Primeval titans (just two, not for speculation). It's about to be reprinted, so it might go lower, but if it's still standard playable, then It might go back up. What did it used to be, 45 USD a piece?
    There's going be a heck of a lot more Titans in circulation, but the bannings did make it more playable in Standard. I'd wait until after M12 unless you see a good price - it's not going to go up much if at all, and it should fall even more once Valakut is about to rotate. Baneslayer Angel was probably as good or better than Titans at the time, and getting reprinted murdered its price.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

I wonder what would happen to prices if I were to Top8 an SCG Open (or even Top16), with a Land Equilibrium, The Abyss and Chains of Mephistopheles, plus a Nether Void for good measure in the sideboard, even if I never brought them in?

Hmmm...

3-point-shooter

Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    I wonder what would happen to prices if I were to Top8 an SCG Open (or even Top16), with a Land Equilibrium, The Abyss and Chains of Mephistopheles, plus a Nether Void for good measure in the sideboard, even if I never brought them in?

Hmmm...
    SCG will love you for sure.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

So would I, just for the sheer amount of style points. Reading the forum posts alone would be priceless. If someone has a chance to do that, they most definitely should. lol

A Whore's Limit Break Uses Anal
    Jun 2006
    Carbondale, IL

Just not until after I get an Abyss...
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    People arguing about which foil reprint is better is like a Mormon and a Scientologist having a history argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Don't you know that specifics are deadly poison to H. Machinus? They lack the enzymes to digest them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    What in the janky gay ninja hell is that 25th place deck?

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by TheAardvark View Post
    Just not until after I get an Abyss...
    Yeah the Abyss has to go up, it's just way too iconic a card to never see play and it can put certain decks out of the game pretty quickly in a control shell. I'm actually surprised it hasn't shown up as a 1x in more BUG control lists sideboard at least.

On a related note, wow did Jace and SFM bounce back quickly. Jace is starting to run about 60+ each already and SFM is almost back to around $8 a piece.

Granted they could dip again as they only officially become illegal Friday.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Quote Originally Posted by dontbiteitholmes View Post
    Yeah the Abyss has to go up, it's just way too iconic a card to never see play and it can put certain decks out of the game pretty quickly in a control shell. I'm actually surprised it hasn't shown up as a 1x in more BUG control lists sideboard at least.
    I agree. Almost to the point that I might speculate. It's very hard to find. It has to go up at least steadily. It took two decks doing very well with Candelabra as a 3-4 of for that card to sky rocket. What would happen if you ran it as a 3-4 of is some control deck? If it starts showing up in decklists, if it's around a 90-dollar card now (depending on where you buy), imagine the possibilities!

Jan 2007
    Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jace is starting to run about 60+ each already
    They're $50 or less on ebay. A pair of Japanese sold for $120. English are $45-50.

Jun 2006
    Carbondale, IL

I went ahead and pulled the trigger for an Italian one for $45. Not a great deal, but it's fine with me, since I need one for EDH. The last big Legends piece I need is a Moat, and I am probably going to just let that one go; not worth it to me, really.
    People arguing about which foil reprint is better is like a Mormon and a Scientologist having a history argument.
    Don't you know that specifics are deadly poison to H. Machinus? They lack the enzymes to digest them.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

I tried Abyss in BUG control at one time and found it just sucks against the aggro decks. Too slow for Zoo, Merfolk it's not too horrible, but they tend to put in guys at the EOT anyway, Goblins have haste and just power through it. The speed was the killer. I ended up using Drop of Honey and it worked much better. Even Damnation was stealing the spot most of the time.

My Abyss went into my mono-B creatureless EDH deck because I'm a meanie and do things like that.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

English Abyss on Ebay has been floating around $60, so don't get too excited boys (yes, a mint one went for 90, sure. But, Mint anything old goes for top dollar).

The Abyss is a fine card, but usually slow against the decks you'd want it against.

-Matt

Jun 2006
    Carbondale, IL

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    English Abyss on Ebay has been floating around $60, so don't get too excited boys (yes, a mint one went for 90, sure. But, Mint anything old goes for top dollar).

The Abyss is a fine card, but usually slow against the decks you'd want it against.

-Matt
    Oh, I agree, and was why I said the $45 wasn't a great deal; pretty much average. I think the card's potential growth is tied more to EDH than Legacy, honestly.

Just picked up two Italian The Abyss. I attended the SCG Open in Baltimore and they were sold out and asked curiously why all the sudden everyone was looking for them. This is one of those cards that hasn't done any real damage yet, but it is more than likely going to wind up shooting higher in value. The Abyss has always been a card waiting to breakout, and it looks as though the time is ripe for that to happen.

It's always been a great card; the biggest issue is finding a deck worthy of its inclusion for it to be optimally effective. I think an artifact-based control variant could give it a home, or even something along the lines of BUG. It just needs to breakout for its value to serious jump to astronomical levels (like Moat did when people actually realized how good it was before sitting at roughly US$70.00 a piece for years). I think an English NM The Abyss will round out at around US$150.00, with Italian NM ones floating at about US$100/110.00. This is very hard to predict, but I think if someone just finds the right shell for it, it just might work.

I could be wrong here, but it's safe to assume the card is going to see a slight increase in value in the short-term. Once it sees more widespread play, it could jump higher - or even double - in comparison to the price it currently sits at. Older cards just tend to do that no matter how "playable" they might seem, although playability certainly affects the price. The Abyss is a nasty card in the right deck and deserves a chance to shine after all these years.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

My, there goes Solemn Simulacrum. From $6, gonna go all the way down to, oh, $2? Maybe not, cuz there is a lot, and I mean a LOT of chaff in M12, damn.

Cobra Kai Sensie
    Oct 2004

I think Abyss has a lot of value as a sideboard card. It may not be the best card for the aggro matchup, but vs. Midrange aggro decks that rely on 8-12 creatures to do the job it can be a real ball buster especially if the opponent doesn't think to sideboard for it. Examples Team America, Junk, Stoneforge decks.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

Sweep the leg!

Ah well, there it happens again. Self forfilling prophecy. Everybody thinks it will go up. buys it, increases demand, and it goes up.

Anyway, I don't think it is worth to push the abyss, really, think about it, is it that good in legacy ? I have my doubt's.

It's not even good against midrange decks, cause they have often a lot of small dorks sittin aroud who are expandable ..

^This is akin to everyone buying stock in one company just to make the stock more valuable. I wonder why people don't do it. I think it's because it's hard to get evryone on the same page about which company and to buy in. Just because a few sourcers want to speculate doesn't mean it's going to rise. But then again, they are VERY hard to find.

Thread Information