Page 230 of 343 FirstFirst ... 130180220226227228229230231232233234240280330 ... LastLast
Results 4,581 to 4,600 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Jul 2011
    California

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Most of the arguments the doomsday prophets are throwing out there mean modern is going down also. Goyf will be north of $200 and Dark Confidant will be $100 and Liliana will be $110. You could argue WotC is more incentivized to re-print modern staples but the effect will trickle into making legacy more affordable if that happens.
    But any perceived increase in affordability in Legacy due to reprints will be offset by increased demand on staples whose supply is fixed. If people are buying Goyfs and Lilianas for Legacy, they'll probably need Bayous and Tropical islands and Underground Seas too.
    Legacy: Miracles

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by easysantiago View Post
    This is pretty thorough! I only have two things to add.

I am interested in your second point: "Support for the prices evaporates". I wonder what the upper ceiling is. As in, when will people say, 'I'm not paying that, the price is wrong'? Can you think of other instances where this happened on the hobby market?
    I think it heavily depends on the card. In my book, invoke prejudice at $150 is downright ridiculous. I already reached that point.

As for your fourth point, "Transparency puts an end to the illusion of scarcity": if it didn't work for the Marxists, it won't work for MTG. That is to say, even if scarcity is 'revealed' to be an illusion (which I think everyone knows it is), we still ideologically buy into the game.
    I'm afraid so.

Sure, but it's all going down at that point, especially if you buy into Modern target audience being younger, less affluent people. The marginal difference between modern and legacy isn't huge over the course of a 1-2 year invesment (e.g. 5-10 duals).

WotC reprining 10 fetches would go a long way for both formats. Here's hoping they print some fucking stone hideous new bordered Wayne A. Reynolds art fetches.

Jul 2011
    California

Sure, but it's all going down at that point
    Except that it's not. Both formats are making significant gains in popularity. This may mean that we need to reevaluate who the actual audience for these formats is. I think Phelix is right, and MtG (specifically non-rotating formats) is just transitioning into being a higher costed hobby. I think it's fun enough to justify the steep price of entry, and apparently there are a lot of people who agree.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

It's pretty interesting how RL staples shoot up across the board.

Sneak Attack is about 80$ now.

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix View Post
    I think its interesting that people speculate that if it costs X amount of Money, they hobby, game or sport (or a combination) as MtG could be classified, will die.

Why hasnt horseback riding died? its way more expensive. Or powerboating? (or cocaine and Hookers?)

This may be the transition of the a part of the game from being a relatively cheap hobby, like soccer, to a more expensive one.

All the middleschoolers can still play standard.
    I agree with this. And it's also why I think that it will be hard to bring prices down from now on, even with reprints.

Speaking of hobbies (unrelated story coming up), ironically, part of the reason why I decided to invest into magic in the first place was because how much more expensive the other hobbies I wanted to get in were for me. Back then, I had the choice of keep playing soccer (which already costed me a over a thousand dollars a year in terms of transport, equipment, inscription, competitions, mostly in other Canadian cities, and sometimes in the US, and bursaries were bullshit unless you play hockey), or go and get into paintball, which I loved, but was also relatively expensive where I live (you don't go back to renting equipment when you tasted real equipment and that you want to go play at least once a week). In the end, I did not want to play soccer after I started university as a career in sports wasn't my goal, and paintball was really expensive for someone getting in university (especially that it was far as hell, and you have to go in with a team). So after that, when I got into legacy with ANT and it was a few hundreds (back then), I told myself back then that it really wasn't as bad as my other discarded options.

Jul 2011
    California

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    It's pretty interesting how RL staples shoot up across the board.

Sneak Attack is about 80$ now.
    Sneak Attack isn't RL, but yeah... All the staples seem to be on the rise.

So Volcanic Island and Tundra both shot up to $220+ overnight?

*facepalm*

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix View Post
    I think its interesting that people speculate that if it costs X amount of Money, they hobby, game or sport (or a combination) as MtG could be classified, will die.

Why hasnt horseback riding died? its way more expensive. Or powerboating? (or cocaine and Hookers?)

This may be the transition of the a part of the game from being a relatively cheap hobby, like soccer, to a more expensive one.

All the middleschoolers can still play standard.
    There are a couple important differences here though. Horseback riding and powerboating are both individual endeavors, they don't benefit from a large participation base like Magic does. Actually they'd probably be hurt by it, I can only imagine how long it would take to get through a 4000-person dressage event (side note: never date a girl that's into horses, they are insane).

On the other hand, if even the biggest Legacy events started drawing only 150-200 players, I think that could discourage new players from joining the format. I could be wrong, but I think part of what keeps the game popular is it's popularity. I'm sure there's some economic term for that type of momentum.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

I think part of what makes eternal popular is it's exclusivity and not having to play with complete novices and infants.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    There are a couple important differences here though. Horseback riding and powerboating are both individual endeavors, they don't benefit from a large participation base like Magic does. Actually they'd probably be hurt by it, I can only imagine how long it would take to get through a 4000-person dressage event (side note: never date a girl that's into horses, they are insane).

On the other hand, if even the biggest Legacy events started drawing only 150-200 players, I think that could discourage new players from joining the format. I could be wrong, but I think part of what keeps the game popular is it's popularity. I'm sure there's some economic term for that type of momentum.
    Also, I always thought that powerboating uses some high-end technology, and horses are living mamals, quite expensive to acquire and feed, etc. My cards are made of cardboard, no spaceship tech, and I don't need oat, too, not even for Tarpan. They could be cheaper, there's nothing inherently expensive in them.
    Thinking of it, I'd love to have a horse. Must be nice.

I think part of what makes eternal popular is it's exclusivity and not having to play with complete novices and infants.
    With USea for 250 dollars, you may pretty soon play with dame de voyage exlusively.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I can't wait to attract a whole new crowd of Veblen shoppers to Legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    My cards are made of cardboard, no spaceship tech, and I don't need oat, too, not even for Tarpan.
    If you feed Tarpan regularly, you should gain more life when it dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Less the exclusivity, but more of the second point for me. I hate playing vs children, and I hate playing vs people that don't understand even simple stack interactions and people with extreme budget decks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

You got it right on the infants.

But complete novices? Eh, I would say the average PTQ grinder is more skilled at Magic than a Legacy/Vintage player.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Sounds like something I'd read on TMD circa 2004.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    If you feed Tarpan regularly, you should gain more life when it dies.
    OK, I'll give you a golf clap for this one.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Lol ... price of foil counterbalance on MKM. Have to sell mine now
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Lol ... price of foil counterbalance on MKM. Have to sell mine now
    Lol, nice find. I still have a foil set of my own, mmm sweet moneyz. But indeed, geeting that money is difficult to.

I feel like it's worth noting that NM Alpha Lotus is up to 10K on SCG. First time a non-misprint, card has reached that level in retail pricing as far as I know.

Thread Information