Page 243 of 343 FirstFirst ... 143193233239240241242243244245246247253293 ... LastLast
Results 4,841 to 4,860 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JBlaze View Post
    Survival of the Fittest went from $30 to $60 over the last couple days. Pure speculation or could there be something more to it?
    A while back just before a b&r update these was some speculation on the unbanning of sotf. Some really thought it was going to happen. At that time prizes where going up on MCM and people started buying playsets.
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    I don't even think it counts as a joke. Not like Chimney Pimp and Yoked Plowbeast.
    Don't talk shit about ChImp. I've won EDH games with it in Varolz.
    I play plowbeasts in my "A Peaceful Realm" EDH. So much farmers, animals a plowshares!

Some swords, too.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    A while back just before a b&r update these was some speculation on the unbanning of sotf. Some really thought it was going to happen. At that time prizes where going up on MCM and people started buying playsets.
    When did that happen? Because the price timeline since it's ban never shows such a spike like we experience it now.

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    When did that happen? Because the price timeline since it's ban never shows such a spike like we experience it now.
    Born of the gods shows a slight rise and drops right after release. But i can't recall if it was the same period as i was talking about. Also the price rise was visible on MCM. I am not sure if you can backtrack on MCM. Will have to check it out another time... smartphone...
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

So someone faked a screencap of the B&R announcement the day before indicating that BBE would be unbanned in Modern. People then went and bought up all the $.50 BBE and began listing them for $4-6 each on eBay.

Now they are down to about $3.50

This hobby is nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Star|Scream View Post
    So someone faked a screencap of the B&R announcement the day before indicating that BBE would be unbanned in Modern. People then went and bought up all the $.50 BBE and began listing them for $4-6 each on eBay.

Now they are down to about $3.50

This hobby is nuts.
    It was going up even before the screenie. Same thing was happening with Ancestral Vision.

Also sillier was the troll, which went (online) from 6 to 13 overnight, and then dropped to 10. All this in the space of a day.

I heard an interesting rumor today at the LGS. Basically, the gentleman was saying that one or two people were buying up P9 last year to the tune of 200k-500k. Has anyone heard anything about this? Baseless rumor or is it well known and I somehow missed it? If this is true, the eventual sell off could be pretty devastating to both the price and collector confidence.

SCG and Dan Bach have been buying up power and thus artificially inflating its value.

I cancelled a sale on MCM yesterday. StarCityGames-account wanted to buy my foil goyfs and also bought alot of the foil goyfs that were cheaper than a certain price. They are now gone and sold. Also, one of the playsets more expensive than mine was sold yesterday. Beware, goyf-buylist-price increase to be expected.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    I cancelled a sale on MCM yesterday. StarCityGames-account wanted to buy my foil goyfs and also bought alot of the foil goyfs that were cheaper than a certain price. They are now gone and sold. Also, one of the playsets more expensive than mine was sold yesterday. Beware, goyf-buylist-price increase to be expected.
    I always wonder what is the problem here and in similar cases, as you seem to imply that there is some. You want to sell at certain price, they want to buy, should be fairly easy to connect the dots.

Usually stores buy stuff because they are sold out and they need more stuff to sell to people. If something is sold out, it usually means that the seller sees the situations as such where the price was too low and during the next round raises the price. This naturally also ups the buy-in price. No conspiracy or abuse needed to explain ny of this.

If you start to speculate on others speculating and turn down business based on that, it's kind of silly, don't you think?
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Say no to creatures.

May 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    Usually stores buy stuff because they are sold out and they need more stuff to sell to people.
    It's a very naive way of thinking imo. Stores do speculate on prices and try to benefit from the fluctuations in the chaotic, unregulated market that is the Mtg singles. And why wouldn't they? They have money to do so, it is their business, and there's nothing to prevent them from doing so.

If I want to sell card X for $100 and I see SCG buying all of the card Xs cheaper than $101 I don't want to sell it for $100 anymore because I know next week it will probably sell for $120. Pretty simple logic really. If average Joe wants to buy my card for $100 I'm happy to sell it because who the fuck knows what will happen tomorrow?
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

I always wonder what is the problem here and in similar cases, as you seem to imply that there is some. You want to sell at certain price, they want to buy, should be fairly easy to connect the dots.

Usually stores buy stuff because they are sold out and they need more stuff to sell to people. If something is sold out, it usually means that the seller sees the situations as such where the price was too low and during the next round raises the price. This naturally also ups the buy-in price. No conspiracy or abuse needed to explain ny of this.

If you start to speculate on others speculating and turn down business based on that, it's kind of silly, don't you think?
    That's rational thinking. If you do not need money there is no rush to sell.

well Scg basicaly runs mtg prices that's the problem, unlike normal world this is really easy in magic due to low prints and no regulations existing, add insider information from wotc and they can't lose money ever on anything rational they do, well anyone with a lot of money can do that to some extent

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by nodahero View Post
    SCG and Dan Bach have been buying up power and thus artificially inflating its value.
    Incorrect. The reason prices have gone up, is actually directly linked to GP Richmond, where blue ZEN fetches, Goyf's, Lilianas and Bob's had gone up alot in price.

This meant people wanted to trade their off their modern cards for duals/power. This meant you could, often, find 2 fetches + something worth 15$ for a underground sea trade, which for most people is utterly shit. Prices went up for duals, which meant power went up too.

Also, people actually buy into vintage. A lot of the old magicplayers are adults now, with income, and they have a real interest in playing the format.

Also: He is called Dan Bock, NOT Dan Bach.
    Last edited by Jander78; 01-23-2015 at 11:02 AM. Reason: fixed tags

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    That's rational thinking... can't lose money ever on anything rational they do, well anyone with a lot of money can do that to some extent
    That'S what I wanted to do now when I got myself lots of until-now-bound-in-cardboard money from the collection/decks I sold recently. There's nothing special about "buy for 70 % of ČR's prices, sell for 80 % of the same price", just like Tom does it since his 14 years when he started with a nickelback in his bum bag.
    But then I imagined the horrible work with this and the need to meet the people and I rather decided to purchase sofa, bookcase, highway vignettes, kitchenette and a playset of wintergummi.

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    That'S what I wanted to do now when I got myself lots of until-now-bound-in-cardboard money from the collection/decks I sold recently. There's nothing special about "buy for 70 % of ČR's prices, sell for 80 % of the same price", just like Tom does it since his 14 years when he started with a nickelback in his bum bag.
    But then I imagined the horrible work with this and the need to meet the people and I rather decided to purchase sofa, bookcase, highway vignettes, kitchenette and wintergummi.

I meant more global stuff to spike prices worldwide like there was a run on foil fetches etc. ... but if anyone was putting all his cash into old cards last 5 years, it was damn good investment (better than vintage cars compared to some economy article I read - they reviewed best x year investment opportunities) and there is no presure to sell yet

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    I meant more global stuff to spike prices worldwide like there was a run on foil fetches etc. ... but if anyone was putting all his cash into old cards last 5 years, it was damn good investment (better than vintage cars compared to some economy article I read - they reviewed best x year investment opportunities) and there is no presure to sell yet
    Otoh, foil fetches are not Your Usual Stuff, and the thing you wrote about is more like a speculation/hoarding than a continuous shop-like behaviour when you buy w/e the 70% chase rare and sell it for 80%. I guess that once you got yourself past some point (say 50-200 thousands of "free" crowns, depending on your other income and such stuff), you're pretty much guaranteed to nomore ever spend a mere buck as the mere 10% margin leaves you with enough monthly salary (say 5k CZK) to make your hobby pay for itself. Lets imagine the perfect situation (no fluctuations, no cards lost in transit, no rip-offs, etc.) when your turnover is 100 thousand/month (not unlikely, I sold just a few cards with no real troubles and effort, and got some 1/3 of that amount), then a 5-10% margin gets you what a cashier in Debilla works for, while she's having all kinds of weekend shifts and much such crap that you surely won't undercome when selling cardboard crack to lgs occupants.

I think things like foil goyfs are in low enough supply that the price can be manipulated if enough are bought. It wouldn't be the first time something like this happened I think.

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    I think things like foil goyfs are in low enough supply that the price can be manipulated if enough are bought. It wouldn't be the first time something like this happened I think.
    It happened several times here in Europe, most notably the Duals when SCG bought them in a massive fashion. They exploded in price in 2-3 days, especially the blue ones, which went up by 90% or even more (I'm looking at you Underground Sea). Same thing happened with the Zendrika Fetches.

Greetings,
    Kathal

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Question is: well, isn't that a pretty dangerous speculation? The market for foil Goyfs is quite a limited, I'd guess. One may easily end with a box of cards he'll never move.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    Question is: well, isn't that a pretty dangerous speculation? The market for foil Goyfs is quite a limited, I'd guess. One may easily end with a box of cards he'll never move.
    Well they bought my FOIL Worldwake Jaces with their MCM account as well, so I can verify them buying premium stuff in Europe.

Weeks later FtV Jace was announced, so I'm fine ;)
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Thread Information