Page 51 of 343 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

Quote Originally Posted by sigfig8 View Post
    Think about it, the risk in buying 20 Mind Twists is low considering the upside if they are unbanned.
    Mind Twist is really terrible. It's probably the worst card still banned from Legacy. I'd be super happy going into a tournament if I knew all of my opponents would be playing 4x Mind Twist. Factor in your time searching the internet for them and buying them and storing them and then (potentially) re-listing them and there isn't any money to be made on it.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    Mind Twist is really terrible. It's probably the worst card still banned from Legacy. I'd be super happy going into a tournament if I knew all of my opponents would be playing 4x Mind Twist. Factor in your time searching the internet for them and buying them and storing them and then (potentially) re-listing them and there isn't any money to be made on it.
    +1.What kind of deck would play even a 1-2x Twists? It's no use in Legacy.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Mar 2010
    OH

Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    +1.What kind of deck would play even a 1-2x Twists? It's no use in Legacy.
    What good Legcy decks run Grim Monolith? I have yet to see one have a strong showing. Yet, those would have been a tremendous investment. One thing we've learned from the recent unbannings is that a card will be over-hyped upon unbanning even if it's not good. The window may be narrow, but significant profits can be made here.

And if you're going to argue with me on the Grim Monolith point, consider Illusionary Mask as an alternative. I bought one for 70$ pre-unbanning from SCG and I sold it on ebay for 120$ after it was unbanned. And no one seemed to think Mask would be any good.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by sigfig8 View Post
    What good Legcy decks run Grim Monolith? I have yet to see one have a strong showing. Yet, those would have been a tremendous investment. One thing we've learned from the recent unbannings is that a card will be over-hyped upon unbanning even if it's not good. The window may be narrow, but significant profits can be made here.

And if you're going to argue with me on the Grim Monolith point, consider Illusionary Mask as an alternative. I bought one for 70$ pre-unbanning from SCG and I sold it on ebay for 120$ after it was unbanned. And no one seemed to think Mask would be any good.
    Yeah, but Grim Monolith sees little play in UR sneak , Hive mind combo and MUD aggro. Mind Twist is not even CLOSE to be something playable. Why would you play it over Tourach? to be reasonably better than Tourach it's casting cost becomes 4. 4 cmc and doesnt affect the board like Wog, Jace, Moat or Humility ? sounds like garbage to me.

Mask is different. Mask costs a lot because it is an highly collectable card ( only ABU). Unbanning it only put it under the spotlights, it's something like an ''extra'' and everyone start wanting one or two, just in case it might become broken (I highly doubt this). You can see it retained its value pretty well, even if since the unbanning nobody played it competitively, still sits in the 100's $ for U and 200's $ for B.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    Yeah, but Grim Monolith sees little play in UR sneak , Hive mind combo and MUD aggro. Mind Twist is not even CLOSE to be something playable. Why would you play it over Tourach? to be reasonably better than Tourach it's casting cost becomes 4. 4 cmc and doesnt affect the board like Wog, Jace, Moat or Humility ? sounds like garbage to me.

Mask is different. Mask costs a lot because it is an highly collectable card ( only ABU). Unbanning it only put it under the spotlights, it's something like an ''extra'' and everyone start wanting one or two, just in case it might become broken (I highly doubt this). You can see it retained its value pretty well, even if since the unbanning nobody played it competitively, still sits in the 100's $ for U and 200's $ for B.
    Even Hymn is argubly not broken in Legacy. It's insane on turns 1-3, but after that, its value starts decreasing when your opponent is down to 1-2 cards in hand. Topdecking Hymn mid-game makes a lot of decks playing black not want to run it, instead they opt for other black cards e.g. removal/Bobs/Thoughtseize. If Hymn is argubly not universally run in any decks playing black with a discard theme, then I cant see Mind Twist being played at all. I don't really want a 3cmc Hymn, nor a 4cmc discard spell that does nothing on turn 4, or requiring a Dark Ritual on turn 2 to discard 3 cards because I've lost 2 cards doing this in the process as well. Although Rit Rit Twist is quite disturbing, but I rather just Ritx2 AdN.

Mar 2010
    OH

Quote Originally Posted by Metalwalker View Post
    Even Hymn is argubly not broken in Legacy. It's insane on turns 1-3, but after that, its value starts decreasing when your opponent is down to 1-2 cards in hand. Topdecking Hymn mid-game makes a lot of decks playing black not want to run it, instead they opt for other black cards e.g. removal/Bobs/Thoughtseize. If Hymn is argubly not universally run in any decks playing black with a discard theme, then I cant see Mind Twist being played at all. I don't really want a 3cmc Hymn, nor a 4cmc discard spell that does nothing on turn 4, or requiring a Dark Ritual on turn 2 to discard 3 cards because I've lost 2 cards doing this in the process as well. Although Rit Rit Twist is quite disturbing, but I rather just Ritx2 AdN.
    I am not arguing your point that Mind Twist will be useless in Legacy. I'm simply saying that it'll get a good jolt to its value for the short run. Everyone will want their playset. Remember, Mind Twist right now is only like a 3$ card. I'm not talking it'll see 40$ mind you, more like 8$. That's still more than a 100% increase...

Is it just me, or there is some speculation on Candelabra since the 20th?

^^I bought two for 40 USD a piece about 7-8 months ago. That was about the going rate for NM from trusted sellers. I tried to buy a third 2 months ago and by then the going rate was 50 USD.

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Spring Tide is sporting it in some builds.

(previously Metalwalker)
    Mar 2008
    Houston, TX

Candelabra = EDH brokenness for Spikes, so there you go. I bought mine at $25-30 a year ago. It was in EX-/VG+ condition. I think the card is a little too narrow to be a staple in a potentially broken deck e.g. SotF. It won't be an engine universally used like SotF but I don't doubt that it might one day be a central piece to a broken deck. The card clearly has the potential to be broken. Being 1cmc also adds to that.

Jan 2007
    Birmingham, AL

SCG has the new phyrexian crusader going for 4 bucks and its about the same for prebuying on Ebay. Does it go up or down from here till the time the set comes out?

Mar 2009
    usa illinois

I think the crusader goes down from here, just because I think poison overall is a losing Proposition from wizards perspective. they (wizards)can not make creatures with poison to good because if they do games will be over to quickly

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

Candelabra has already been in a broken deck. Remember what got Mana Crypt, Mana Vault, Lotus Petal, Lion's eye Diamond, Vampiric Tutor, Tolarian Academy, Windfall, Time Spiral, Stroke of Genius, Dream Halls, Mind over Matter, and several others all restricted or banned at the same time.

This thing was insane. This is pretty close to the old list, though I could swear there was a Capsize in the list somewhere. Stupid thing had a singleton Strip Mine for the sole purpose of hitting opposing Tolarian Academies due to the way the Legend Rule worked back then during a time when you could play 4. Tells you something about the power level of the thing when Strip Mines 2-4 weren't good enough and I think even Time Walk got cut eventually for not being strong enough.

4 City of Brass
    4 Tolarian Academy
    1 Strip Mine
    4 Candelabra of Tawnos
    7 Solomoxen
    4 Hurkyl's Recall
    4 Windfall
    1 Time Walk
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Timetwister
    1 Wheel of Fortune
    4 Force of Will
    4 Time Spiral
    4 Stroke of Genius
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mana Crypt
    4 Mana Vault
    2 Defense Grid

As for the Crusaders they will go down some, though that's not a horrible price. I figured $12 for a playset was pretty fair, that's what I grabbed them for. I'll use them in fun decks no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    7 Solomoxen
    Would you mind explaining exactly wtf that is?

Black Lotus, 5 moxen, Sol Ring.

Since when did lotus and sol ring count, or were even referred to, as moxen exactly?

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Oil View Post
    Since when did lotus and sol ring count, or were even referred to, as moxen exactly?
    Sol Ring, Lotus, Moxen.

SoLoMoxen.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Cool word play bro!

Nov 2006
    London

Cool word play bro!
    Awesome 3 posts, bro.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

The term "Solomoxen" has been around as long as people have been writing about Type I, in case you were wondering.

Thread Information