Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M2011

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

M2011

So, I just heard (yeah, I'm slow on news) that M2011 will be released this summer. Are they now printing core sets annually?

Do you think this is a good chance to see some much needed Legacy reprints, such as Tarmogoyf?

What cards do you hope they will realistically reprint, keeping in mind this will be Standard legal?
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Re: M2011

Clicky

Another part of our plan to keep the core set relevant is that it will be refreshed every year, not every other year. Doing a core set every year will preclude us from doing other fourth sets, like Eventide, Coldsnap, and Unhinged and will give us a much more structured and predictable release schedule of three expert-level expansions and one core set each year.
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    Thanks! Wow. Can Magic support 4 releases per year? Also the fact that two core sets will be Standard legal for a few months seems awkward. Pumpking out reprints each year could be good for addressing some rising cost issues.

Anyway, so, got anything you'd like to see reprinted?

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

I'm sure Path to Exile will probably be reprinted to keep cash flow in.

That or I can dream, a 3rd Swords effect would be great
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Banned

May 2007
    jersey

Can't say I would mind seeing goyf reprinted. Type 2 with goyf was pretty silly, but not nearly as bad as it is today or in the time of faeries or affinity. I still think 4 sets a year is just stupid, but WotC has 1 interest and that is to make as much money as possible. That is why the game is being marketed to yugioh players.

See, what they should do is print Tarmogoyf and Bane$layer as the set's premiere mythics, thereby insuring themselves millions of dollars in revenue as people the world over desperately struggle to open the cards they need four of to compete in Standard, but just can't find.

Baneslayer will be reprinted, that's for sure

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

I really couldn't care less about reprints as they have no effect on Legacy, other than the rise and fall of prices, but who cares, right?

But I'm all for some new flavorful cards. Djinn of Wishes was awesome, I hope they print more of these kinds of things, and odds are they will :)
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

doesn't afraid of anything
    Feb 2009
    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez

I think Tarmogoyf would be a pretty safe reprint at this point, especially since it would only be legal for a little over a year. Something needs to be done at any rate, or both Extended and Legacy will implode on themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    I think Tarmogoyf would be a pretty safe reprint at this point, especially since it would only be legal for a little over a year. Something needs to be done at any rate, or both Extended and Legacy will implode on themselves.
    I really want to see that signature again with the "39-land-and-4-goyf.dec, Goyfstill," and all those decks. Pretty hilarious, but so true at this point.
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

Simple Jack Daniel's
    Apr 2009
    San Diego, CA

I'm hoping they reprint Wildfire, or at least Tectonic Break or Thoughts of Ruin. I like blowing shit up.

They could also reprint the Dreams from Torment, which would make many aspects of playing control more interesting in Standard. I know the core sets are supposed to be for beginners, but I feel like the last couple have been (with a couple exceptions) painfully simplistic. I'd like to see a couple cards in there that people have to consider before/while using.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    Terramorphic Expanse combines well with Urborg, tapping all over the place for black mana and then BOOM you fetch a Plains and blow them out with Ramosian Rally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scordata View Post
    Man, why won't the Rock just go away? It doesn't even have any friends.

Like, you know that feeling when you are walking outside and you step in dog shit?
    Thats the exact feeling i have when my opponent opens with Land, Mox diamond, Dark Confidant.

You can pretty much count on the set having enough expensive cards (read: Walletslayer Angel) to make it frustratingly difficult to play some standard once in a while, but not have any legacy cards that make it worth drafting/buying.

Quote Originally Posted by coraz86 View Post
    I'm hoping they reprint Wildfire, or at least Tectonic Break or Thoughts of Ruin. I like blowing shit up.
    I'd count yourself lucky if you get freakin' Stone Rain.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Being a 1C 2/1 with an ability isn't enough to make a card good by default. Elvish Archer is to First Striking as Dark Confidant is to card draw, and Nezumi Graverobber is to robbing graves as Tarmogoyf is to being much much better than a 2/1, but what the fuck does that even mean?

Baneslayer + Goyf would make for a great set... (not)

I could definitely see Path (or Swords, for that matter) get reprinted, and can hope for Mana Leak...
    Level 2 Judge
    Owner, Tales of Adventure Comics and Games, Coopersburg, PA

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

I'd like to see Brainstorm reprinted, just for the new frame in Chinese (Coldsnap precons were not printed in Chinese).

Can someone explain to my simple mind why cards like Counterspell and Brainstorm were somehow safe for MM era Standard, but are now somehow deemed too good to reprint?

Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    I'd like to see Brainstorm reprinted, just for the new frame in Chinese (Coldsnap precons were not printed in Chinese).

Can someone explain to my simple mind why cards like Counterspell and Brainstorm were somehow safe for MM era Standard, but are now somehow deemed too good to reprint?
    Noobs don't like getting their spells countered, so now the standard for a hard counter is three mana.

Seriously.

Also, Wizards doesn't like giving blue good instant-speed card draw because then it makes blue strong and lots of players bitch about it. Well, blue was the best color in Standard for years, so...

Obviously there is going to be some new broken stuff, such as a new Baneslayer or Tarmogoyf, or heck reprinting the allied fetches.

Sep 2007
    Roseville, MN

Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post

They merely took out brainstorm and counterspell temporarily so that there was an excuse for them to make even more rediculous blue power cards as replacements. I'm just waiting for the next level of powercreep from M2011.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Quote Originally Posted by Malchar View Post
    They merely took out brainstorm and counterspell temporarily so that there was an excuse for them to make even more rediculous blue power cards as replacements. I'm just waiting for the next level of powercreep from M2011.
    I can only dream. But if Ponder is the heir of Brainstorm, we could hardly call that power creep. Maybe they could reprint Force of Will. It isn't on the reserve list. If they did, I'd love it if they kept it an UC.

Counterspell was always too good. Mana Leak and Remand are realistically as good a 2 mana counter as you'll be likely to see in the future. Where as ancient staples impact like Lightning Bolt can be lessened (Having creatures too big earlier on the mana curve so Bolt can't be used to easily as removal, have better life-gain cards, etc.) there's really no way to lessen the impact of Counterspell itself.

Brainstorm was a pretty fair card until Fetchlands get involved. Considering they just reprinted Fetches, good luck ever seeing Brainstorm for the next couple of years.

As far as LD goes, I agree they go too far in raping it each and every year. However I can see where they come from in terms of frustration. The last LD deck that was any good was Cascade LD involving Fulminator Mage and Rain of Tears. Thanks to Cascade they always had the LD spell. It was less than fun when half the format couldn't interact with the deck in any relevant way.
    Art Gallery: www.vegeta2711.deviantart.com

For those saying you should win a tournament before calling people retarded, well, I did win one. And you guys are retarded.
    Kyle Boddy, re: legacy players, Winner of SCG Seattle 5k

Turning Japanese
    Jan 2010
    Hampton, VA

Considering the new block is based around land, I doubt there will be any good mass land destruction. I remember way, way back in the day playing a B/G/R LD deck with Sinkhole, Ice Storm, and Stone Rain. Good times. Still have those Sinkholes and Ice Storms too. :D

I'm curious if reprinting BSA really will drive her price down that much. Yeah, there is more product, but the whole "mythic rare" thing still keeps the quantity low.

Thread Information