Page 35 of 228 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585135 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Aggro Loam

Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by soltakar View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, I wrecked the guy playing Hive Mind in round 3 after you beat me in round 2 (I was playing Buried Ooze).

I'm thinking of going back to aggro loam for KW this week. Any pointers you'd care to share for deck building?
    actually doesn't make me feel better, lol. If he had been an X-1 or X-0 at round 6 i would have had amazing breakers and would have drawn in.

As for pointers, I got a primer on my site.

May 2011
    Fullerton, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Antonius View Post
    actually doesn't make me feel better, lol. If he had been an X-1 or X-0 at round 6 i would have had amazing breakers and would have drawn in.

I read your primer when you first posted it. I'll probably review it and read through this thread again for some ideas.

May 2011
    Fullerton, CA

I read your primer when you first posted it. I'll probably review it and read through this thread again for some ideas.

@Richard Cheese, ain't bolt and chalice comparing to eachother?
    I mean you probably play chalice @1 always, then bolt doesn't dfo anything anymore? :O
    Also the w<hite iq uite good and I would go play karakas, if also is quite good against hive mind combo :)

I also really miss assault because aggro matchups are quite hard if you don't have it^^
    Control with my list is so easy to beat, I always win against it.
    They can never get enough land, always got waste lock and I also drop one big beater and I win...

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

I'm trying to be patient here because it seems like English is not your first language, but for christ's sake man, slow down a bit when you type.

You run Chalice OR 1-drops, not both. Lately it seems that Chalice is falling out of favor because of two things:

1. Turn 1 Chalice requires an opening hand with a Mox, two lands, and Chalice. Statistically that's just not going to happen often. IF you're on the play and IF you open with those specific cards, it's great, but that's way too conditional.

2. Chalice gets worse as the game goes on. You aren't likely to drop it on 2 or 3 and shut down your own key cards, so drawing multiples is usually terribly redundant. At least with something like Bolt, it's never a dead card. I just prefer StP because in my meta there's a lot of Painter Stone and Dredge, so exiling something is usually worth the tradeoff in versatility.

Also Karakas is terrible main. Every time I've had it in my 60 and draw it, I wish it was something else. I wouldn't even bother with it in the SB, as Tariff deals with Emmy and Progenitus, and Hive Mind is just a terrible matchup anyway.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Oh, I forgot, I had a somewhat newish innovation for the deck: Scavenging Ooze. I played a 2/2 split of Ooze and Goyf at the last tournament. There was never a moment when I drew it and wished it was Goyf, though I didn't go up against matches where it wrecks face, either. I think it's good, but more experience will tell.

Oh, I forgot, I had a somewhat newish innovation for the deck: Scavenging Ooze. I played a 2/2 split of Ooze and Goyf at the last tournament. There was never a moment when I drew it and wished it was Goyf, though I didn't go up against matches where it wrecks face, either. I think it's good, but more experience will tell.
    It's actually kind of hard to grow Goyf in the deck because you can get lands and sorceries easily enough, but then you have to luck out with dredges. I can see Ooze being a good addition.

what do you think about b.wish instead of devastating dreams main?

i been less and less impressed with devastating dreams, i almost never can cast it for good value.

either i have it late and no loam or i have it early and no board presence + mox diamond.
    i just always want to brainstorm it away (which is not possible obv.)

i always board out devastating dreams and assaults.
    people always bring in gy hate and i want to blank their sb plans.
    dd w/o loam is suicidal most of the time.

thoughts on burning wish vs dreams in the deck is what im interested in.
    i realize burning wish is a "slow card" but this deck has a way of slowing the game down and playing it on it's own terms most of the time.

i think burning wish is usually a turn 4 and later card in this deck and should not be considered as a 2 drop most of the time which makes it ok.

otherwise i think im willing to try 2 ee in the slot of 2 dd.

last tournament, I played 1 Dreams, 1 Edict in place of Dreams. I think I"m going to play dreams sideboard again. 8 disruption spells in the board does not seem like enough to get there against combo, so I'm not even gonna bother anymore.

last tournament, I played 1 Dreams, 1 Edict in place of Dreams. I think I"m going to play dreams sideboard again. 8 disruption spells in the board does not seem like enough to get there against combo, so I'm not even gonna bother anymore.
    why edict, to have 1 main deck out to a naked progenitus?

they usually vclique you or have a goyf/hierarch/dryad arbor/fow to go with progenitus to kold the 1 edict you have.

Quote Originally Posted by sauce View Post
    why edict, to have 1 main deck out to a naked progenitus?

they usually vclique you or have a goyf/hierarch/dryad arbor/fow to go with progenitus to kold the 1 edict you have.
    I actually stole a game where a 15/15 ran into my main deck edict. It was OK. I think I will be playing two EE's next time though.

i am playing a 3rd mpulse and a 2nd sylvan instead.
    we'll see how it goes this weekend.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Ran the deck today in a tournament for a Mox Pearl (with 14 participants :(

I played against TES (2-1 for me), then 1-drop Zoo (1-2 for me, he had the god-hand), then Esper America(1-1 tie, went to time, I'm favoured to win), then Bant good stuff (lost 1-2, mostly I was just tilting).

My deck treated me meh today, most of the opponent seemed to have everything. I opened some REALLY terrible openers, and didn't hit Loam in several games. Fires was great, and so was Terminate.

7/14 players were Stoneblade, which I wanted to face all day long, but I got stuck hitting slightly awkward matchups. I didn't hit a single Stoneblade, which I would have beaten. The winner was U/W Stoneblade who rode in the car with me to the event.

There wasn't a particular card that fucked me over, except Assault. The card was so good, but my Zoo opponent drew 3 Qasali in a row and killed my shit. I was pissed. Thrun wasn't really relevant, even in the Zoo matchup. It would have been better in the Stoneblade matchup, but again, I didn't face it. If my Thruns were Ghastly Demises, a much different story would have taken place, but oh well.

-Matt

I took Antonius's list, with small changes to the board,to a small legacy tournament for a trop ( 8 people).

Round 1: Junk Depths I went turn 1 mox diamond mox diamond wasteland, tarmogyof go and then set up the loam + seismic assualt combo and beat him, next game i boarded -2 devasting dreams ( all of his dudes survive) -2 bolt (same reason) +4 leyline of the void. I won the next game with crushers vs his 2/3 goyf

Round 2: Stoneblade with Standstills and not visions. He destroyed me game 1, but I went -3 siesmic assault -2 devasting dreams -1 bolt +4 REB +2 Krosan Grip. He got land screwed second game, and third game, he could not make double blue for jace and got countryside crushed.

Round 3: Team America with Ancestral Visions. Blown out game one, I kept a one lander on the draw with a mox diamond and a loam ( this normally gets there) and got land screwed. I noticed his tombstalkers and goyfs so i went -3 seismic -1 bolt +4 Leyline of the Void, game 2 he got land flooded big time and got countryside crushed. Game 3: I set up everything to win and was in the dominant position, I could feel that trop already in my hand...till the shopowner told us we were cutting to top 4. We both drew turn 7 into the third game.

Top 4: Hive mind. Not much to say here, I got blown out game 1 and went for the REBs, which got there game 2. Sadly, game 3 i did not counter the intuition and he pact of negation'ed my REB to win.

Testing that list to atm:

Some questions:

1) Why you play crusher over terravore? Terravore can beat dredge and reanimator and progenitus quite easyer than crusher, because of the trample.

2) I've tested and I don't really liked Mealstrom Pulse because it's first of all sorcery (I would prefer something like removal for 2 mana, like a Terminate or something)

3) Do you guys realy like DD, I always lose on it if it get's countered or I don't get any land (if I don't have any in hand) I think a firespout or more spotremoval would be better, maybe even an extra Terravore and 3 spotremoval, or something like 2 EE more.

4) Woudn't EE/Perniscious Deed be quite good/better than Mealstrolm Pulse mainboard?

Just some thoughts, I really like that I don't play Chalice mainboard anymore.
    IT's good but not that needed like I thought... I also liek the botls and lavamancers main so..
    Also myabe we can paly kird apes main to go faster (but then you have a really hard aggro version so)

I would like to hear your idea's and sorry for my language and fast typing in previous posts :)

I don't think EE is good in general anymore, but I'd be interested in testing the new Liliana over Pulse. She's still a removal spell but does other neat stuff too.

I don't like DD, but some people swear by it. YMMV, I guess.

Why EE woudn't be good, it kills so many things (I only use it upto like manacost 3/4).
    And yeah DD, I think it ain't good and would be better replace it for firespout or something then...

And the new lilliana let's test that yeah that's quite mean, we shall see :)

I haven't been playing Aggro Loam in a long time, but it has always been one of my favorite decks. The printing of the new Liliana made me interested in the deck again, in addition to Antonius's recent good results, and I've been testing it for some time now.

I can't even describe how awesome the new Liliana has been in the deck. I had 2 copies of it instead of Pulses at the beginning, but I upped the count to 3 shortly after. My list is basically the latest Antonius's list with 3 Liliana's and 1 EE instead of 2 Pulse and 2 DD. I also changed 1 Taiga to B/R filter (Craven Cairns) which has worked well.

Anyway, how do you feel the banning of Mental Misstep will affect the playability of Aggro Loam?

I'm trying to decide for a deck to play at GP Amsterdam and the deck that I'm most familiar with is Aggro Loam. Actually I went 7-2 on the first day of GP Madrid with Aggro Loam when Mystical was still legal, but I do acknowledge that (storm) combo is one of (if not the) the worst matchups for Aggro Loam.

Is there any way to negate the increased amount of combo being played (just a speculation) or is Aggro Loam just a bad choice from now on?

Hi, I'm also going to GP and testing the deck with all choices (white, with/without chalice,...)
    And I think the best thing is to go the hard aggro version.

So now MM is banned, I think it will be quite good to play more one-drops again.
    So I will be testing my old list back with kird apes/wild nacatls and bolts, to speed my list up.
    The only thing that ain't good is that there will be played much more combo now MM is banned.
    So thinking of that we should play more hate, maybe chalice sideboard or something...
    what are your idea's?

And didn't tested the new lilliana yet, is it so good that you need to play it 3x :O?
    I should get maybe 2x/1x, but 3 looks to much.
    And Lilliana ain't good against things with burn, but for the rest it's quite good yeah :)

Quote Originally Posted by kortero View Post
    I haven't been playing Aggro Loam in a long time, but it has always been one of my favorite decks. The printing of the new Liliana made me interested in the deck again, in addition to Antonius's recent good results, and I've been testing it for some time now.

I can't even describe how awesome the new Liliana has been in the deck. I had 2 copies of it instead of Pulses at the beginning, but I upped the count to 3 shortly after. My list is basically the latest Antonius's list with 3 Liliana's and 1 EE instead of 2 Pulse and 2 DD. I also changed 1 Taiga to B/R filter (Craven Cairns) which has worked well.

Anyway, how do you feel the banning of Mental Misstep will affect the playability of Aggro Loam?

I'm trying to decide for a deck to play at GP Amsterdam and the deck that I'm most familiar with is Aggro Loam. Actually I went 7-2 on the first day of GP Madrid with Aggro Loam when Mystical was still legal, but I do acknowledge that (storm) combo is one of (if not the) the worst matchups for Aggro Loam.

Is there any way to negate the increased amount of combo being played (just a speculation) or is Aggro Loam just a bad choice from now on?
    I have no idea how much combo is played in Europe right now, but this is one of those decks that you just don't play if combo is going to be a serious metagame issue. I'm not sure that it will be, though: combo was not particularly rampant in the American metagame prior to the printing of MMS, and while I suspect that there will be an initial uptick in players looking to play some variety of storm now that MMS is gone, it will likely settle down again after a while. My impression of the European meta is that it has always been combo-heavy, so this may not be the best deck.

That said, Aggro Loam was only so-so in the meta prior to the printing of MMS and the resurgence of interest in decks that largely eschewed one drops. I don't think 1cc-less Loam builds are any good, but if the meta goes back to being creature- and midrange-heavy, this deck should continue to be a solid choice.

Thread Information