Page 182 of 228 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184185186192 ... LastLast
Results 3,621 to 3,640 of 4544

Thread: [Deck] Aggro Loam

Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

I played in a no-show GPT, so we did casual round robin. 2-0-1 against UR Delver, BUG Delver, and DNT. I played 3x Swords which were crucial in the DNT matchup to fight against both Prelate and Mirran Crusader. I'm thinking of boarding them in while keeping the Chalice in too against Delver, simply because Chalice is either going to stick and win the game, or be countered/destroyed immediately.

On the SCG list:
    Is mainboard Karakas necessary now? That list cuts the basic Swamp and, adds a third cycle land, and cuts to 5 fetchlands for an additional dual (Badlands). Only thing I can think of is against Depths.

Kolaghan's Command seems pretty decent right now, against DNT you can take out equipment and prelates, good against BUG (kill a Strix and a DRS), not so great against Eldrazi. It's a decent flex answer.

Tabernacle is something I've had success with too. Good against Pyro decks or to slow down Delver. I'm playing a Crop Rotation/Tabernacle/Bojuka Bog (main) combination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

@Claymore

I think you are working with a pretty different 75. Karakas has never not been in the deck. (And there is no good reason to cut it)

Here is a quick diff of that list and a stock (pre-Lage) one.

And here is the same thing with just the differences.

hey, how is matchup against eldrazi?
    Im getting back to legacy after some years and thinking to build 4C Loam or Lands, but I like 4C Loam, jst worried against eldrazi. Other decks seems good for it =)

thanks!

I played some Lands variants where Karakas was in the side due to it not having a huge requirement in the meta - Show and Tell, Reanimator, etc were low, so my build was based on that. It was replaced with mainboard Bojuka Bog. I think it could certainly be main though with Lands being so prevalent.
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Oct 2013
    Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by Tutor View Post
    Im getting back to legacy after some years and thinking to build 4C Loam or Lands, but I like 4C Loam, jst worried against eldrazi. Other decks seems good for it =)

thanks!
    Matchup is good. Can't beat super busted draws(probably only combo can) but you have several plans against them(Big Knight, Wasteland Lock, Clog Board and win with Marit Lage)

Quote Originally Posted by Tutor View Post

thanks!
    I would say the matchup is favorable. Knight of the reliquary and swords to plowshares from the sideboard put it in your favor.

any thoughts on master of the wild hunt in the garruk relentless sb slot?

seems better vs creatures, worse vs miracles.

also, can grab it with gsz
    Last edited by willydoo; 11-09-2016 at 07:03 AM.

Oct 2013
    Portugal

I believe the deck is pretty much built to grind creature matchups, do you really need extra help against shardless for example?

Master of the Wild Hunt compares poorly to Meren if you are in the market for a zenithable CA tool with a body.

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Pilhas View Post
    I believe the deck is pretty much built to grind creature matchups, do you really need extra help against shardless for example?
    Probably? I don't think Master is what we want as a GSZ target (I prefer Kolaghan's Command as a generic fair matchup value play and Meren or Glissa, the Traitor as GSZ value cards), but I defintely put Shardless on the even-to-unfavorable side of the matchup distribution.

Went 1-2-1 at a 20 person GPT (along with a bye), not a great showing. Typical Depths build with Bojuka Bog main and this sideboard:

Sideboard
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Reclamation Sage
    3 Swords To Plowshares
    2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Surgical Extraction

4c Loam - 1-1 in turns. Grindfest match where I won game 2 in turns. Multiple bogs back and forth, making sure to save Thicket to protect Loam. His hardcast Leyline kept my Knights small in the end but I was able to swarm, plus Surgical on Abrupt Decay to remove any answers. Of note, I managed to discard my single Reclamation Sage right before he played the Leyline. This was definitely a battle over who could Bojuka Bog Life from the Loam.

BR Reanimator: 1-2. Turn 1 Chalice and triple Dark Confidant keeps me in game 1 but he's able to barely get the win with Tidespout. Game 2 my turn 1 Thalia and Bob follow up gets me ahead and Surgical saves me from an Elesh Norn. Game 3 I have a Karakas, Thalia, Ethersworn, Mox, Mox opener. He bins Griselbrand turn 1. I make the choice of Turn 1 Thalia with an open Karakas. He plays Animate Dead on Griselbrand and I bounce, ends up drawing 14. He ended up playing out some Petals with Spirit Guide, Rituals, and gets out a Blazing Archon. I play Ethersworn and don't get any more answers. He's able to play the white force spike angel and I can't answer. I should have gone Ethersworn, so at least he wouldn't be able to do anything after a cheap reanimate on Griselbrand. I thought Thalia would have been functionally the same but didn't account for Spirit Guides.

Goblins: 1-2. Games 1 and 3, overwhelmed when he gets several Ringleaders a game turning over 3 goblins and I am without my Punishing Fire engine (x3). Game 2 I get a Tabernacle out to slow down his development and clean up his board.

Goblins: 2-0. I get strong starts and am able to use Punishing Fire to clean up. A timely Crop Rotation found a missing Grove to start the engine.

Overall I felt fine going without the Leyline board, but I think the deck would need at least 2 Surgicals, maybe 3. Tabernacle and Ghost Quarter are the obvious cuts, but I've had a lot of luck with Tabernacle lately. Good against Empty, swarm strategies, Delver decks. I didn't get a good Ghost Quarter matchup at all.

The Swords were gas all day.

Oct 2013
    Portugal

Hey guys, I 4-1-1 a side event in GP Rotterdam.
    Stock list with DD+Stage and a Grim Flayer instead of Teeg(Sold mine for mistake)

Sideboard was pretty straightforward:
    3 Swords
    2 Thoughtseize
    3 Leyline
    2 Canonist
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Deluge
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Garruk Relentless
    1 Containment Priest

R1 2-0 Cloudpost(Wasteland is good, it seems)
    R2 2-0 UBr Reanimate
    R3 2-0 Death and Taxes
    R4 1-2 Death and Taxes(Made a marit Lage when he had Karakas on the table, punted hard)
    R5 2-0 Enchantress(2nd game he mull to 4 searching for green mana, matchup is pretty hard)
    R6 ID

Any questions feel free...

Noticed the following list string together a couple 5-0's online:

1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Dark Confidant
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 The Gitrog Monster
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Life from the Loam
    3 Punishing Fire
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Badlands
    1 Barren Moor
    2 Bayou
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Forest
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Karakas
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    1 Taiga
    1 Thespian's Stage
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    2 Windswept Heath
    1 Wooded Foothills

Most noticeable thing is dropping the third LOTV for a Git Gud Toad. Thought it was spicy so I've played a few games with it, and I'm just saying, if you untap with this thing it's like a storm engine in this deck.

Anyone else have any experience with the card?

Pancake
    Oct 2012
    Netherlands

The card is ridicilous. I've played it in other decks that have more ramp and everytime you start dredging the deck explodes. 5 mana seems high tho.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmans View Post
    The card is ridicilous. I've played it in other decks that have more ramp and everytime you start dredging the deck explodes. 5 mana seems high tho.
    Yeah 5 mana is very high, though the amount of mana this deck can make shouldn't be underestimated.
    I'm not at all saying it's a good card choice, and there were plenty of times it sat in my hand uncastable...

But it's so gas.

Been putting my reps in with the deck feel I have a good understanding of the deck now. The only thing that I cant figure out is how life from the loam is a card advantage engine. I basically only use it the to get lands back that i pitch to mox and wastelands or clearing the top with sylvan library. When i do dredge it back I always feel like I'm im dumping good cards in to yard.

Don't just have an idea - have all of them
    Apr 2016
    Germnay

Life from the loam helps you out when you are under pressure. Your graveyard is like a virtual hand. by dredging loam you see always 3 more cards (like library). Dredging loam depends on your needs if you search for something which can loam give you like punishing fire, dark depths combo, wasteland. Also dredging Loam grows the Knight.
    Loam is creating card advantage by casting 1 card too get 3. That's +2. And of course the fact that you get Loam back on your hand for casting it.

I'm gonna disagree with Neo900 a bit here. You generally should not be looking to dredge up good cards. The real card advantage comes when 3 lands move from the yard to your hand. The chances of you dredging lands or Pfire vs anything else is not so amazing that you want to dredge without good targets already in the grave.

Neo900 has a point that there are times in the game where you determine your outs are exactly Pfire, or drawing Wasteland or whatever, in that case dredging loam increases your chances of seeing those cards. That situation, however is usually way less simple. If you are looking for removal, often that is 3 cards to find pfire or 1 to find pfire, decay, gsz, or scooze to gain life or something like that. Rarely is the class of cards that you are looking for solely things you can get back from the yard so I advise folks to focus on lower hanging fruit first in terms of playing better first.

Tho, I generally discourage people who are newer from hoping to dredge into 3 targets from 0 a la Lands, there are plenty of situations where dredging and casting loam is card advantage. 1 Wasteland and 1 Cycle land is a decent way to spend your turn, and that happens pretty often.

Its also fine just to not use loam much unless you have a good reason to. Just be aware that is is always an option should that plan happen to be good in the current scenario

would a blue splash add anything earth shattering to the deck?

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Intuition, but at that point, you're into Control Lands/Eternal Garden territory.

Thread Information