Page 102 of 228 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152202 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 4544

Thread: [Deck] Aggro Loam

Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

Played 61 cards 4C-Loam today and did 3-1 (4th) in a 14 players event.
    It's the stock list, with Dark Depths, Thespian's Stage, and the 61st card is Treetop Village. It's been pretty good i nfair matchups because not only I can dredge it out to beat people up, I can tutor it with Reliquary if need may be, and vs TNN walls I can simply attack, trample over, and Loam it back. That play is yet to be seen though haha.

The sideboard is a little more different. Since last weekend I took a beating to Blood Moon, this week I took out all 4 Leylines of the Void, and changed it to 1 Forest, 1 Swamp, Nihil Spellbomb (I can use the extra draw to dredge) and Bojuka Bog. This way I don't lower my chances too much to GY hate.

R1 vs Goblins I win both games. G1 I get chalice to one, and slowly control his creeps with Punishing Fire, and beat up with Ooze and Goyf.
    SB: I sideout the cyclelands and lilianas i think. Side in Golgari Charms, Qasali and basic lands.
    G2 He plays land vial. I play mox, land and goyf. he uses pyroknesis on the goyf and reveal bloodmoon. wastelands my land. My turn i draw land, bob, go. he wastelands me again ,and I draw land again. He actually plays a second blood moon, but I get lucky and have mox+bayou+Charm in my hand so I promtly destroy it. I draw the dark depths combo and win.

R2 vs Hightide I manage to place a Chalice for one, and beat him with bob until I draw gaddock and win.
    SB: -3 Grove -3 P. Fire -2 Liliana +2 Canonist +1 Gaddock +Chains of Mephisto +3 Slaughter Games
    g2, I mulligan to 4 -it was either no hate at all or no lands- and lose. G3 I have in play gaddock, 2 bobs, 2 moxes, chalice for one. He plays Rebuild and starts comboing. he sends gaddock back to my hand and time spiral me, draw a pretty poor hand. My new hand has gravehate, canonist and another gaddock. I play it all and win.

R3 vs Deathandtaxes. I am always one step behind. Chalcie to one didnt prevent his Aether Vial, though it did hold a STP in his hands. He has mother, 3 stoneforges, thalia and a serra avenger, and is beating me up. I start to pick up game with reliquary + maze, and start assembling the combo. When I have it ready to go he draws a wasteland. He attacks with batterskull and Avenger. I block with Reliquary, and he taps mom for pro-green. In response I combo it out, however he simply wasteands Dark Depths and I miss the combo. Not all is lot though, with tapped Mom, I am able to use two P. Fires in my hand and start duking it out on his team, managing to not get hurt again - up until he buys flickerwisp and phases Maze of it.
    SB: -3 Lilianas - Cycleland i think, +2 Golgari Charm +1 Ancient Grudge +Qasali
    G2 played similarly, I was always a step behind and wasnt able to keep up in the end.

R4 vs 4color Delver. I starts with Ponder, I start with chalice to 1. I play a treetop Village and a goyf, but he dazes it. He never plays anything until he's 5 with Treetop beating him to a pulp… and draws a Goyf. However by then I assemble P. Fire combo and finish him off.
    The only car dI remmeber sideboarding was Chains because I auto-do it with blue decks.
    G2 was similar, but in a different lock. he keeps a hand based on brainstorm - one land, and a lot of nasty cards, however he goes for a dual, which gets the wasteland axe, and he never draws any other land. Win!

So yeah, I really like the treetop route. And I hate you DnT!
    Last edited by aluisiocsantos; 09-07-2014 at 07:50 AM.

Dec 2013
    Lowell MA

Hello all. Brand new to the deck, basically built it last week, tested it a few times with some friends then brought it to my local store. Here's what I ran for reference. It was hard to play, but fun and rewarding. Plus it makes 20/20 flyers, which is something I am always down for.

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Tarmogoyf
    1 Scavenging Ooze

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond

3 Life from the Loam
    2 Green Sun's Zenith

1 Maelstrom Pulse
    4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Punishing Fire

2 Liliana of the Veil

1 Sylvan Library

3 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    2 Bayou
    1 Forest
    1 Swamp
    2 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Barren Moor
    2 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Scrubland
    1 Savannah
    1 Taiga
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Thespian's Stage
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Barbarian Ring

SB
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Golgari Charm
    1 Choke
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Liliana of the veil
    2 Slaughter games
    1 Tabernacle at the pendrell veil
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Devastating Dreams
    1 Anger of the Gods
    3 Nihil Spellbomb

Here's a quick rundown

R1 vs Burn Very very quick 0-2 loss. Not much to say

R2 vs UWR Delver 2-1 I died a typical delvery death in game 1 on the draw. In game 2 maze of ith blanked a delver for several turns while I waste locked him out. Game 3 was a close one, but at some point I stuck a Knight, and with stage on the board it was over shortly after.

R3 vs Enchantress 1-1 draw I normally play enchantress, so it felt weird to be playing against it. He mulled to 5 in game 1 and I was able to decay his enchantress' presence and roll things up before too long. G2 was a protracted struggle. I stuck an early chalice at 1, which slowed his mana development quite a bit. He was primarily on the RIP helm combo with 1 back up sigil of the empy throne, but he overcommitted all his RIPs to the board and maelstrom pulse took out all 3, which was probably my highlight of the day. But he was able to win game 2 in time with a dark confidant and a knight of the reliquary that he stole from me with his helm of obediences.

R4 vs Imperial Painter 2-0 win These were grindy game which I won primarily by virtue of luck. He was on the play both games and managed to stick a moon effect early on. G1 I super lucked out with a forest in my opener, and 2/3 of my punishing fire to kill his simian spirit guides. It was that kind of match. I eventually loamed into a swamp and decay took care of the moons. Game 2 was a pretty similar story, with me once again having a basic forest, and I think some critters to win the game with.

R5 vs DnT 1-2 loss Game 1 was over quick and painful. Game 2 was a reversal of G1, where it was quick and painful for my opponent. Game 3 was a good one with plenty of back and forth. I think my inexperience with the deck led to a series of less than optimal plays, where I felt the game start to slide out from under my control. Maze of ith did great work in this game blanking equipped critters till I could answer them.

Maze of ith was my MVP for the day, saving me probably ~20 damage over the course of several games. I tried running a 1-of goyf and Gaddock Teeg as GSZ targets, and I never had occasion to grab it over Pmage or Scooze, who was really really good. I like the Volrath's stronghold and the barbarian ring in theory but they seem too grindy, even for this deck.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Ring seems unnecessary. Death and Taxes always was an awkward MU. On one hand, PFire is a beating, on the other hand, sometimes they get a thalia down and it slows you down enough to where they just overwhelm you. This is why I loved Devastating Dreams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

cabal pit it probably better in the ring slot for manabase reasons

no dryad arbor means you don't have any non-mox t1 plays.

Dec 2013
    Lowell MA

Quote Originally Posted by apocolyps6 View Post
    no dryad arbor means you don't have any non-mox t1 plays.
    You are correct in this regard. I think I'll just make a 1 for 1 swap of arbor for barbarian ring.

What are your thoughts on replacing the basic swamp with cabal pit?

I am playing 1 barbarian ring (with a manabase to support it) but that is because
    1. My build is light on removal
    2. I'm not playing abrupt decay and need uncounterable removal
    3. Being able to tutor it with knight. (and not having maze for mana reasons)

Of those I think only the third applies to you. I would start with a swamp and see if you need a pit in testing

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

So, I'm gearing up for the GP and seeing what decks I have the pieces for. My mainstays are Jund and Rock, so I was thinking about Aggro Loam. I copied Niklas's BOM list and have been goldfishing it for a bit now. I enjoy it a lot and I feel it's really solid, but I'm wondering if the last five months have changed anything. The only changes I'm blindly considering at the moment are -1 Taiga, -1 Punishing Fire, +1 Forest, +1 Golgari Charm, and replacing the second Charm in the board for a Massacre.

http://www.bazaar-of-moxen.com/en/ba...vent,c147.html

Apr 2013
    Kiel, Germany

I've been playing this deck in different variants lately, too. One thing I've tested a bit lately is Burning Wish. Unfortunately, I had to drop Liliana for it in Order not to lose too much business. That way, I'm not dependent on double black anymore plus I'm unsure if Liliana is still that good currently, given that people started drawing 3 off the top and more often than not, they had more than one threat when I landed her. If Burning Wish is a valid alternative must still be seen, though. I think it's worth a try. Here's my current list:

3 Dark Confidant
    1 Tarmogoyf
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Dryad Arbor

3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Punishing Fire

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    1 Sylvan Library

4 Burning Wish
    3 Life from the Loam
    2 Green Sun's Zenith

4 Wooded Foothills
    1 Windsweapt Heath
    2 Taiga
    1 Savannah
    1 Plateau
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrubland
    1 Badlands
    3 Wasteland
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Forest
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    1 Karakas
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows

SB:
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Chainers Edict
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Reverent Silence
    1 Shattering Spree
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Army of the Damned
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Dreadbore
    1 Slaughter Games
    1 Massacre
    1 Devastating Dreams
    1 Timely Reinforcements

There are still 2 slots free and don't really know yet what to add. What have your experiences with Leyline of the Void been? Is ist worth the slots? I haven't done too much testing with this particular list yet, but I think adding Burning Wish might be a good way to go right now. I'm courious to hear your thoughts on this!
    Last edited by BennBeckmann; 11-07-2014 at 03:30 AM.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    So, I'm gearing up for the GP and seeing what decks I have the pieces for. My mainstays are Jund and Rock, so I was thinking about Aggro Loam. I copied Niklas's BOM list and have been goldfishing it for a bit now. I enjoy it a lot and I feel it's really solid, but I'm wondering if the last five months have changed anything. The only changes I'm blindly considering at the moment are -1 Taiga, -1 Punishing Fire, +1 Forest, +1 Golgari Charm, and replacing the second Charm in the board for a Massacre.

http://www.bazaar-of-moxen.com/en/ba...vent,c147.html
    Personally I would cut some number of Liliana. Swagspear and Pyromancer make her worse at board control, and the discard just isn't as strong as it used to be, even if it's still one-sided. P.Fire seems pretty good right now though. I think I would just go -1 Liliana, +1 Golgari Charm, maybe drop another for the 4th Decay.

I've also really liked having a singleton Eternal Witness, but I play just Jund colors with Volrath's Stronghold.

@Benn - I would drop Army of the Damned. It's going to come down so late in the game that you should already be winning, the color requirements are ridiculous, and when the hell would you actually want it? Lingering Souls or Timely Reinforcements would probably be a lot better.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Personally I would cut some number of Liliana. Swagspear and Pyromancer make her worse at board control, and the discard just isn't as strong as it used to be, even if it's still one-sided. P.Fire seems pretty good right now though. I think I would just go -1 Liliana, +1 Golgari Charm, maybe drop another for the 4th Decay.
    I've been playing around with the list a lot more more since I posted that. The list is incredibly solid. I'm not sure how true the story of Niklas throwing this deck together at the last second is as it's pretty clear that either this deck is thoroughly tested or he's a fucking wizard.

-1xTaiga
    +1xForest

-1xChoke
    -2xEthersworn Cannonist
    -1xQasali Pridemage
    +1xContainment Priest
    +1xMassacre
    +1xReclamation Sage
    +1xSpirit of the Labyrinth

Those are the changes I'm currently working with in comparison to the original list. You're right that Punishing Fire is too useful to quit. However, I don't agree that Liliana is something to cut. She is also too good to quit. Every card has their bad days. If Liliana's only match-up where she isn't one of the best cards in the deck is UR Delver, that's ok in my book. Tarmogoyf remains both an unfortunate necessity and the weakest card in the deck, and I'd love to be able to manage another land without going to a 61 Card Special, but other than that I am nothing but thrilled with the deck. My largest issues right now, coming into this deck blind, are cleaning up my lines of play and figuring out how to sideboard.

Glad to see people are still tweaking this list. I've been playing the BOM list for a while and really like it. That being said I'm going to try the basic forest and maybe cut a Lilly for an EE.

Also going to try a few board changes, something along these lines:
    -2 Canonist
    -1 Choke
    -1 Ancient Grudge
    +2 Containment Priest
    +1 Krosan Grip
    +1 Slaughter Games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 2013
    Kiel, Germany

@Benn - I would drop Army of the Damned. It's going to come down so late in the game that you should already be winning, the color requirements are ridiculous, and when the hell would you actually want it? Lingering Souls or Timely Reinforcements would probably be a lot better.
    That was more of a fun thing because I wanted to have a wincon tutorable and was looking for an alternative for worm harvest. As you can imagine, it finished long games a lot quicker than grinding them out would have had. Win more, though, I know
    For some reason, yesterday I forgot to mention Devastating Dreams and Massacre in my SB, so they are there, too, obviously.
    As I said, I was just toying around with different options for the wish board and I haven't been completely disappointed yet. You play virtually 7 Loams, have an answer for an otherwise Auto-loss against Blood Moon and whatever sweeper you need for any situation.

Thanks for the hint on Timely Reinforcements, though, I haven't considered that one yet.

I've been looking at 4color loam as an excellent non-blue choice against the metagame. I'd like to run it at GP New Jersey, but before I do I'd like a little help with the manabase. Any opponent knowing how to play against these strategies will know that Wasteland can be just as devastating to our board development as ours is.
    Does anyone know what the number of mana sources should be in this deck?

Lands
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wasteland
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Karakas
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Urbog, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Taiga
    2 Bayou
    1 Savannah
    1 Badlands
    1 Scrubland
    1 Swamp
    1 Forest

Creatures
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Tarmogoyf
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    3 Dark Confident

Other Spells
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    3 Abrupt Decay
    3 Punishing Fire
    3 Life from the Loam
    2 Green Sun’s Zenith
    2 Sylvan Library

Sideboard
    2 Choke
    2 Golgari Charm
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Containment Priest
    3 Ethersworn Canonsit
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Qasali Pridemage

It's really hard to support any non-plains/forest mana-producing lands in that version of the deck unfortunately. When I was playing with it week-in and week-out I always struggled to find room for a single forest let alone a swamp or badlands. I think that your knights will really be struggling to get multiple activations with your current manabase. I was always happiest with the deck when fully dual'd out and I usually just leaned heavily on the moxen when facing bloodmoon or wasteland. The manabase is trying to do a ton and if you introduce basics into it I think it stretches too thin and you start to run into issues casting your spells which is super-lame in a 25+ land deck that runs diamonds. I feel like you really have to embrace the greed.

You are quite correct. I've always hated losing to Bloodmoon/Wasteland, but it is the risk I take in running this deck.
    What is your opinion of 2 Gaddock Teeg in the main deck?
    Is Dark Confident any good right now? It feels like anytime Chalice resolves, Confidant is the best thing ever, but if you don't have a Chalice, it feels bad.

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

You... you cut Barren Moor?

Do you hate money?

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by alrightgame View Post
    Is Dark Confident any good right now? It feels like anytime Chalice resolves, Confidant is the best thing ever, but if you don't have a Chalice, it feels bad.
    Play the deck as it was constructed. As it was intended. What you're doing right now is scooping out its insides, replacing them with confetti, and trying to figure out why it doesn't breathe. Play the deck as it was. It'll provide you with clear information as to why something is there and what you need.

I've been grinding the deck for about a little more than a month and am still finding out tricks, but here's what I've learned so far. Dark Confidant is quite possibly the best card in the 75. Cycle lands are the reason you run Loam. Basics suck. Duals you can't sacrifice with Knight suck. Ghost Quarter is gimmicky. Etc.

You are quite correct. I've always hated losing to Bloodmoon/Wasteland, but it is the risk I take in running this deck.
    What is your opinion of 2 Gaddock Teeg in the main deck?
    I don't think 2 teeg is necessary md. It's really just a game-1 emergency button for combo for me and with chalice you can steal plenty of games already. I do run a second in the board though.

I'm also pretty much on the same page as jelly regarding confidant and cycle lands, they are the glue that holds this ridiculousness together.

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

I other news, I've finally settled on it. I'm cutting the Chokes. They're easily the weakest card in the sideboard, and none of the Delver variants view it as anything more than a speed bump. One of the Chokes already became a Massacre, but the other I'm looking to dedicate towards UR Delver and Burn. Auriok Champion/Kor Firewalker, Timely Reinforcements, and Circle of Protection: Red are all my current picks. Any suggestions?

Dec 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I've been looking at 4color loam as an excellent non-blue choice against the metagame. I'd like to run it at GP New Jersey, but before I do I'd like a little help with the manabase. Any opponent knowing how to play against these strategies will know that Wasteland can be just as devastating to our board development as ours is.
    Does anyone know what the number of mana sources should be in this deck?
    I haven't played 4C Loam post-Khans, but I too can't but reckon that it's well positioned in the current meta. And by current meta I of course refer to Treasure Cruise in particular and URx Delver in general.
    Chalice and Punishing negates most, if not all, of what they are doing.
    Teeg seems a lot better now as well, he'll pull his weight in the fair match-ups in addition to being great in the unfair or control ones.
    I do wonder however, how good is Liliana and Dark Confidant against Swiftspears, Pyromancers and a ton of burn? Could perhaps something like Stoneforge with the complete equipment package (BS, Jitte, SoFI) be better currently?

Thread Information