Page 212 of 228 FirstFirst ... 112162202208209210211212213214215216222 ... LastLast
Results 4,221 to 4,240 of 4544

Thread: [Deck] Aggro Loam

Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

Quote Originally Posted by Stuhl View Post
    Hi everyone,

I recently tried some different kind of Aggro Loam. I designed it to crush the annoying Grixis lists :D

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Grim Flayer
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Life from the Loam
    2 Collective Brutality

4 Wasteland
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Forest
    1 Barren Moor
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Karakas
    2 Ghost Quarter
    2 Windswept Heath
    2 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    2 Scrubland
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Cabal Pit
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Volrath's Stronghold

SB:
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Containment Priest
    3 Leyline of the Void
    2 Zealous Persecution
    1 Reclamation Sage
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Centaur Vinecrasher

Playing 4 Bobs, 4 Thalia, 4 KotRs and one Grim Flayer makes one single Cavern of Souls (on human) legit. Also, Volrath's Stronghold is a great card to regain value. Playing Thalia suggests more offensive play so Grim Flayer takes the spot of Sylvan Library.

With 4 Chalice, 4 Bob and 4 Thalia nearly any Mox hand is super strong as we more or less always have a 2 drop to play.

2 Ghost Quarters along 2 Loams make sure we always have some lands to destroy. Maybe it's better to play 1 GQ and 3 Loams? Not sure about these small adjustments yet.

I played 4-1 in my first league with the deck and it feels super strong. I'm not sure about specific slots, sometimes the huge colorless mana base was a problem. However, not playing cards like Lili surround this problem little bit.

If you deploy an early Thalia followed by a Bob or KotR closes out games very fast. Cards like Fire and Ice or Forked Bolt hurt really much sometimes. Howver, these cards are rarely played.

With a deck like this some MUs change. The combo MU is super strong. However, the Elves MU gets little worse MD.

I just started to test the list but I feel really (dark) confidant about the direction. It seems greedy in the first spot but the hands seem to be really consistent in its function.
    Always interesting to see new approaches to this. Do you think Canonist in the board with the newly freed slots is a good possibility for elves if that's a matchup that you fear? Same with TNN - I'm not seeing much more than the 2 -1/-1 effects SB, is the goal just to race it?

You mention concerns with the manabase, Can we not fit the combo still, especially without red if we're still having such a heavy reliance on black? Especially if we're just racing a bunch of decks now.

Volrath's is definitely my favorite card to see back, I always had concerns with losing creatures and being unable to get them back.

Well, the DD combo might indeed be a thing in there.
    I think Elves shouldn't be too bad as Chalice still does a lot here. Canonist and Containment Priest are still VIPs against Elves. Lili wasn't that strong either.
    My thoughts to TNN: These decks usually struggle with Thalia. The idea is to fight their mana base while deploying creatures like Bob or KotR which they need to handle.
    Also I don't play a lot against TNN these days. More against Angler.

Yeah, but as I said without Lili and PFire the decks shifts little bit and plays differently.

This list is just a first attempt. I just felt like I want to play Maverick again but keep the upside of Mox and Chalice :D.

The reason behind Volraths is also to gain some value out of the Loam engine. Finding PFire always is one part of the reason to dredge. With Volrath you can now find creatures to use by dredging Loam. It is slow often there is a spot to use it. Especially with a KotR.

Maybe Vinecrasher Centaur also has MD potential in a list like this. Maybe in the spot of the 4th Thalia.

Oct 2013
    Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by Stuhl View Post
    Well, the DD combo might indeed be a thing in there.
    I think Elves shouldn't be too bad as Chalice still does a lot here. Canonist and Containment Priest are still VIPs against Elves. Lili wasn't that strong either.
    My thoughts to TNN: These decks usually struggle with Thalia. The idea is to fight their mana base while deploying creatures like Bob or KotR which they need to handle.
    Also I don't play a lot against TNN these days. More against Angler.

Yeah, but as I said without Lili and PFire the decks shifts little bit and plays differently.

This list is just a first attempt. I just felt like I want to play Maverick again but keep the upside of Mox and Chalice :D.

The reason behind Volraths is also to gain some value out of the Loam engine. Finding PFire always is one part of the reason to dredge. With Volrath you can now find creatures to use by dredging Loam. It is slow often there is a spot to use it. Especially with a KotR.

Maybe Vinecrasher Centaur also has MD potential in a list like this. Maybe in the spot of the 4th Thalia.
    That mana base

Cutting the red should make it better... My attempt to contribute.
    27 Lands is too much if no DD is around.
    Too much colorless around and not enough basics

4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Windswept Heath(Maybe split with Marsh Flats)
    1 Forest
    1 Swamp
    2 Bayou
    2 Scrubland
    1 Savannah (Still the worst dual in the deck)

1 Barren Moor
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Karakas
    1 Cavern of Souls (Like it!)
    1 Cabal Pit
    1 Maze of Ith

4 Wasteland
    2 Ghost Quarter

1 Dryad Arbor

In case you want the DD+Stage combo I would advise to either put DD in SB and swap a GQ for the Stage or both GQ for the combo.

----------

Just has a fun contrast, this is my list from GP Paris:
    (Was new to Legacy so did not have a lot of cards. BUG Delver was on high and every1 was using their confidants)

2x Barren Moor
    2x Bayou
    1x Cabal Pit
    1x Cavern of Souls
    1x Dark Depths
    1x Dryad Arbor
    1x Forest
    1x Karakas
    1x Maze of Ith
    2x Scrubland
    1x Thespian's Stage
    2x Tranquil Thicket
    1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Wasteland

1x Gaddock Teeg
    4x Knight of the Reliquary
    2x Phyrexian Revoker
    1x Qasali Pridemage
    1x Scavenging Ooze
    1x Sylvan Safekeeper
    2x Green Sun's Zenith
    2x Hymn to Tourach
    4x Life from the Loam
    1x Maelstrom Pulse
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Mox Diamond
    2x Sylvan Library
    3x Abrupt Decay
    3x Liliana of the Veil

Sideboard (15)

1x Bojuka Bog
    2x Choke
    3x Engineered Plague
    1x Ethersworn Canonist
    1x Gaddock Teeg
    1x Golgari Charm
    1x Hymn to Tourach
    1x Krosan Grip
    1x Massacre
    2x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1x Toxic Deluge
    Quote Originally Posted by MXG View Post
    Leovold because he is just gasoline. Look at the artwork. He knows it's over. He's offering your opponent the handshake.

Quote Originally Posted by juzamjimjams View Post
    Vengeant?
    Yes, Vengeant. Sorry for the delay!

Also, it may be worth checking out this report from a BUG Loam/Lands player. He made top 16, and there are pieces / parts here which we have seen crop up with slightly more frequency in the past weeks. Clearly this is a very different deck than our One True Love, but it has me thinking.

Cutting the red should make it better... My attempt to contribute.
    27 Lands is too much if no DD is around.
    Too much colorless around and not enough basics
    Actually 27 lands including Dryad Arbor is pretty usual. It's 26 mana producing lands without Arbor and we always want to throw something into Chalice. With DD combo it is more like 27 lands + Arbor as DD is not really treated as a land.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Aberosh1819 View Post
    Yes, Vengeant. Sorry for the delay!

Also, it may be worth checking out this report from a BUG Loam/Lands player. He made top 16, and there are pieces / parts here which we have seen crop up with slightly more frequency in the past weeks. Clearly this is a very different deck than our One True Love, but it has me thinking.
    I think that a BUGr list could potentially be viable, I threw something up a while back but never had the chance to play/test it. I do like his idea of pernicious deed though, that actually seems like a better board wipe than Golgari Charm/Toxic Deluge in this build.

4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Wasteland
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 Karakas
    2 Sylvan Library
    3 Punishing Fire
    1 Cabal Pit
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Underground Sea
    2 Tropical Island
    4 Dark Confidant
    1 Island
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Badlands
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Bayou
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Lonely Sandbar
    2 Life from the Loam
    2 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Barren Moor
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Cephalid Coliseum

1 Telemin Performance
    1 Dack Fayden
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Golgari Charm
    2 Flusterstorm
    3 Leyline of the Void
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Diabolic Edict
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

If only Deed didn't blow up our Mox/Chalice/everything :(

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by apocolyps6 View Post
    If only Deed didn't blow up our Mox/Chalice/everything :(
    If only there was a way you could play around your own board wipes. :(
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    If only there was a way you could play around your own board wipes. :(
    Those are cards you always play on turn 1-2 though, well before you'd cast or even need a Deed. You have to slow yourself down too much to play around it. Deed just isn't good in this deck.
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

Right, no way in hell am I gonna not play some of the best cards in the deck just in case I draw a board wipe. The solution is either to not play a card that hurts you more than most decks, or to play nic fit instead. I guess I could see it out of the board for the GBx midrange mirror, but our curve makes it not all that effective.

If you notice, Baxter dropped his moxen to play deed.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemeron View Post
    Those are cards you always play on turn 1-2 though, well before you'd cast or even need a Deed. You have to slow yourself down too much to play around it. Deed just isn't good in this deck.
    Right, no way in hell am I gonna not play some of the best cards in the deck just in case I draw a board wipe. The solution is either to not play a card that hurts you more than most decks, or to play nic fit instead. I guess I could see it out of the board for the GBx midrange mirror, but our curve makes it not all that effective.

If you notice, Baxter dropped his moxen to play deed.
    I get it, chalice and mox diamond are important cards in this deck and you probably don't want to be destroying your expensive cardboard when you play. I'm not saying that the deed is 100% a replacement for deluge or charm, just that it has the potential to be way better. Just looking at the DTB section the only matchups where I can see deed being worse is against D&T (since it can get revokered), elves (you obviously want chalice on 1 and a board wipe here) and UR Delver/Grixis Delver (You probably don't want to be deluging at all in the UR matchup and charm is pretty useless unless they're playing pyromancer). I still don't like chalice in the grixis delver matchup but you probably don't want to be losing chalice. Past those decks what are other decks where you want both Chalice and Deed? Chalice comes out in nearly every BUG matchup and (imo) against the 4c Control variants/Deathblade/Bant/Etc. It's okay to lose a mox diamond at the stages of the game where deed really comes into play, that's kind of the point of playing board wipes. Golgari Charm kills Dryad Arbor and Bob and Toxic Deluge has the potential to kill most of the creatures in the deck, you still play those right?

I don't know his thought process but I don't think that is the reason that he dropped his moxen. Just looking at his results with the deck for the last couple of years it seems more like he realized that Mox Diamond and Brainstorm are pretty bad in the same deck and swapped out the diamonds for DRS and saw that deck where loam can be either your primary or backup strategy deed seemed like a good board wipe. I'm sure you can ask any Nic Fit player, it's not that hard to hold threats in your hand or only deed for 1-2 to wipe your opponent's board but not yours.

Good day.

Having blue and counterspells allows you to not play chalice+mox. If you aren't playing blue, you need the Chalice+mox to gain momentum.

I think we really should not be comparing the way that Deed works in Nic Fit to the way it will work here. That whole deck is designed to work with deed. Most of their threats dodge it with their CMC, and veterans are designed to be sacrifices. The deck can also easily play and pop it in the same turn. Meanwhile, we will probably have to play it out one turn and then hope to dodge decay to use it the turn after. How often do you have a spare 6 mana? I think Leo/TNN are big enough actors that we want to be considering them when estimating the activation on Deed.

What non-creatures are we trying to blow up? I mean, there are lots, but what do you have in mind? I'm not really seeing an urgent need for that kind of stuff.

I usually take out bobs in the (non-midrange) deluge matchups, so I don't often hit my own creatures with it.

You also seem to not think chalice is all that well positioned right now. That may be true, but if we agree on that the deck is gonna have to change in some pretty big ways. BUGLands is not a bad way to go if chalice becomes not worth maining

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

I think we really should not be comparing the way that Deed works in Nic Fit to the way it will work here. That whole deck is designed to work with deed. Most of their threats dodge it with their CMC, and veterans are designed to be sacrifices. The deck can also easily play and pop it in the same turn. Meanwhile, we will probably have to play it out one turn and then hope to dodge decay to use it the turn after. How often do you have a spare 6 mana? I think Leo/TNN are big enough actors that we want to be considering them when estimating the activation on Deed.

What non-creatures are we trying to blow up? I mean, there are lots, but what do you have in mind? I'm not really seeing an urgent need for that kind of stuff.

I usually take out bobs in the (non-midrange) deluge matchups, so I don't often hit my own creatures with it.

You also seem to not think chalice is all that well positioned right now. That may be true, but if we agree on that the deck is gonna have to change in some pretty big ways. BUGLands is not a bad way to go if chalice becomes not worth maining
    Not sure why I need to keep on spoonfeeding the aggro loam master.

The takeaway from the Nic Fit example is that it's okay to exchange a few of your threats for most of theirs. Yes we don't have the ability to abuse explorer like Nic Fit does but at the same time that deck is usually playing some number of creatures that they're losing as well whether it is DRS, Hatebears or commonly played cards like Leovold/SFM. You shouldn't be overcommitting to the board and then deeding it all away, that's just dumb. You also don't have to pop it immediately which can force your opponents to play around it by slowrolling their threats allowing you to deal with them easier. I don't quite understand taking out bobs but you do you.

So where did I say it's primarily for noncreatures? Just off the top of my head: aether vial, equipment i.e. swords, jitte and batterskull if you have the mana and cards like sylvan library.

Chalice is chalice, sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad. I think it's bad when I play against mono decks that don't care about it and it's good when I play against decks where it stops half of their deck.

Good day.

The beauty of Deluge is that you only hit your non Knight creatures. KotR is always big enough. Also it is a reliable spell for 3cmc. Against Elves waiting one more turn to crack Deed micht be crucial.

Overall I don't like Deed in this deck. Imo Deluge is still the best board wipe for the low on creatures mana base.

I never had serious issues with non creature spells. If at all it's Jace. And Deed does nothing here.

By the way: The Thalia list I posted earlier doesn't seem to be a thing :D I was in the mood. However, it doesn't work out It's just not a Thalia MD deck.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

If killing your own stuff was that big a deal, we would play Fire Covenant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

I tested a junk list very similar to maharis's last night to good results against Elves, Infect, and a UB Death's Shadow list. Mana feels great. Brutality not being an instant was relevant a few times, but the deck ran so much smoother that I didn't mind. Cabal Pit is a house.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

With the new Crucible on a stick, plus our own Loams and Knights which love lands in the yard, what about sideboard Impending Disasters for certain matchups?

A lot of these Leovold and Snapcaster decks are getting very mana hungry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    With the new Crucible on a stick, plus our own Loams and Knights which love lands in the yard, what about sideboard Impending Disasters for certain matchups?

A lot of these Leovold and Snapcaster decks are getting very mana hungry.
    That seems pretty janky, you could just play Thalia and punish both fair and unfair decks.
    Last edited by CptHaddock; 06-28-2017 at 10:51 AM.

Good day.

If the card did not trigger on your upkeep, it might be worth talking about. Also, if the opponent is okay with 3 lands in play the card becomes pretty awful. Rancid Earth is kind of neat in that it can blow up a land and kill X/1s, but its also not worth a sideboard slot.

That being said playing actual Armageddon is not the worst idea if the meta calls for it. Mox Diamond, Knight, and playing 27+ lands make the effect less symmetrical.

Thread Information