Thread: Tezzeret Foundry

Poisonous Foogoofiish
    Feb 2006
    Germany

Tezzeret Foundry

“Tezzeret Foundry” is a mono / mostly blue combo-control deck, which relies on the Thoper Foundry / Sword of the Meek combination to win the game. The gameplan is to disrupt the opponent with Chalice and Bridge long enough to either win with the combo or just use small creature beatdown (Sower, Trinket and Mishras).
    First the list:

Code:
    Mana (28):
        4 [SH] Mox Diamond
        2 [TSP] Academy Ruins
        3 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (4)
        4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
        3 [EX] City of Traitors
        1 [MR] Seat of the Synod
        5 [CS] Snow-Covered Island
        1 [B] Tundra
        4 [ON] Polluted Delta
        1 [B] Underground Sea

Draw / Tutor (9):
        4 [MR] Thirst for Knowledge
        3 [FD] Trinket Mage
        2 [ALA] Tezzeret the Seeker

Disruption (8):
        4 [AL] Force of Will
        4 [MR] Chalice of the Void

Removal (5):
        3 [LRW] Sower of Temptation
        2 [FD] Engineered Explosives

Win / Misc (10):
        4 [ARB] Thopter Foundry
        4 [FUT] Sword of the Meek
        2 [SH] Ensnaring Bridge

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [SH] Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 1 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 [FD] Crucible of Worlds
    SB: 1 [10E] Pithing Needle
    SB: 4 [TE] Propaganda
    SB: 3 [MOR] Vendilion Clique
    Flexible Slot:
    SB: 4 [DIS] Spell Snare
    Previous Versions:

Card Choices:
    • General
      The deck is build more towards consistency than utility. Both tutors (Mage and Tezzeret) are a tool to increase this, not to fetch out singleton answers – at least preboard.

• Thopter Foundry / Sword of the Meek
      The combo works like that: You sacrifce the Sword or any other artifact with Sword in the yard to Foundry. This creates a 1/1 token and gives you one life, the process can be repeatet as long as you can spend mana.
      It’s quite comparable to Painter Servant / Grinstone, there some differences though:
      Its good versus aggro, by creating chump blockers and gaining life.
      It doesnt involve a creature so its harder to disrupt.
      Foundry is blue and enables Force of Will by increasing the blue count.Being pitchable to both FoW and Thirst is also nice.
      Sword can easily be pitched to Thirst as it requires any artifact to sacrifice, which triggers Sword from the yard.
      As strange as its sounds, Sword can sometimes be equipped to one of your creatures and is not completly dead therefore.
      The deck runs a very high mana to spell ratio and the Foundry combo takes advantage of this.
      Both have the advantage that they are artifacts, which can be tutored by Tezzeret and returned by Academy Ruins.

• Thirst for Knowledge
      To run a blue deck with a lot of mana and artifacts has the advantage to run cards like Thirst over other similar decks ‘manabasewise’. It increases much needed consistency and acts similar to Brainstorm in other blue decks. Running that many artifacts gives you most of the time a pitch target which doesn’t hurt you at all. To pitch Sword is a stronger play than to play it, as you can just play a redundant Chalice or something, sacrifice it and return Swords.

• Sower of Temptation
      Was Oblivion Ring before and was mainly included because I wanted to run FoW again and needed more blue. Most of the time you want to deal with creatures anyway and with Chalice in the picture, Sower is quite difficult to remove for decks which rely on STP / Path. It shines in the blue aggro-control matchup and is decent against something like Dragon Stompy.

• Force of Will
      The previous version run Trinisphere in FoW’s slot, but it proved to be a weak choice because the biggest problem was face threats which really needed to be answered and Trini isn’t really that good without mana denial. FoW is much more flexible and helps you to surive the early game.

• Trinket Mage
      Obvious why he is good in here, most of the time he will search for Chalice. The single Seat of the Synod is also quite relevant sometimes by giving you an additional blue for both Tezzeret and Sower or in general tight mana situations. Also opens sideboard options.

• Ensnaring Bridge
      Most of the time you can spit your hand on the board quite fast if necessary - Bridge comes handy here. Often Bridge buys you the necessary time to find the combo. Its one of the most tutored cards by Tezzeret as it protects walker and player (who is also some kind of walker).. Comparable cards are Tangle Wire and Propaganda, both tax mana from the opponent, which can be good sometimes - but also irrelevant in other cases. I dont want to depend on the number of permanents my oppoennt have (Tangle) nor do i want to rely on my opponents mana and creature count (Propaganda). Often you will face 3/3+ were Bridge shines.

• Manabase
      I considered quite some different manabases and shells, but liked the Mox Diamond based manabse most. It provided much needed colour fixing (Thopter Foundry!) and let me stuff in all these lands I want.
      It also runs better with Ancient Tomb / City of Traitors than something that relies on Chrome Mox.
      The deck abuses the high mana count as you can see. It may be most beneficial to the Thopter combo though, as it allows one to quickly generate some tokens, which can be lethal even if Foundry is removed a couple of turns later. Academy Ruins should be mentioned, as its really powerful in here. The first version even run three Ruins, but I cut one in favor of consistency. Most of the time you don’t need the Ruins in the early game, as it works best if fueled with quite some mana.

Sideboard
    • Spell Snare
      Currently testing this card. The idea is to have a replacement for Chalice in the matchups were it is bad. This is foremost the Merfolk matchup. It counters there most threating spells: Echoing Truth, Standstill and Lord of Atlantis. Against Goblins it can stop Piledriver, Goblin Tinkerer, Tin Street and Instigator, though not as reliable, as they have tons of ‘into-play’ cheater cards. I can see it being useful against Aggro Loam and decks playing Gaddock Teeg.

• Propaganda
      A necessary evil I guess, its buys you time against tribal and can be brought in against Ichorid too. It’s decent even without mana denial.

• Vendilion Clique
      Initially considered for the Storm and control matchup, Clique also proved to be good against Bant-style decks. Its good to before casting a key spell and provides a clock in the air / blocks Trygon Predator.

• Pithing Needle
      Again mainly against decks were Chalice is bad or which run very central activated abilities like Survival, Belcher or sometimes some kind of Plainswalker.

• Tormod’s Crypt
      Simply there to make Trinket Mage useful in the Ichorid matchup. I can’t deny that I need some kind of graveyard hate though.

• Crucible of Worlds
      Unsure about this slot, don’t know if its feasible to run it as a one-of. I thought I need another tool against control to keep up with them in the late game. Also I can be useful against recurring land destruction. May get cut.

Considerd Cards:
    • Oblivion Ring
      Was included in the previous build as a catch all card (maindeck). It requires a creater commitment to white and being not blue disables FoW. Was cut for that reason, as FoW is much more flexible. I still consider it as a board card sometimes, but i dont see how i could cut an additional blue source for a basic Plains.

• Sigil of Distinction
      Also included some time ago, the idea was to give Trinket Mage a tutor target which creates a formidable blocker. This inclusion also suggest to include 4 Mage, but i practice it wasnt that good. The current tutor targets are good enough.

• Trinisphere

• Phyrexian Ironfoot
      His first inclusion was a result of having Tezzeret in play, but no way to protect him. I had too many cards for Bridge and my opponent had Mishras Factory(s). The idea was that he is a good defensive creature, which surives a Bolt. The “drawback” can sometimes turn into an advantage as you can use him as he had vigilance. Also he is another body were you can attach an otherwise useless Sword.

• Painterstone combo
      Was tested foremost against Merfolk and Goblins in the flexible slot. With three Painter and 1 Grinsdstone I had the chance to kill him quite fast, having the chance on drawing two different two-cards combos. With the thought in mind that I cant hold of both decks forever, as I am either overrun after an Echoing Truth or a Siege Gang pings me to death. Note that the combo can come handy in matchups were it is good to have a way to win that doesn’t involve the combat step. At least as both pieces as a one of – is a nice Tezzeret target, it doesn’t involve the graveyard too.
      I did cut it for now because I wanted a card in the slot, which is good on its own and doesn’t need a second to become active. Also hands with one piece of each combo sucked.

• Jace the Mind Sculptor
      I will definitely test Jace when he comes available, most likely in the slot of two Sower (moving them to the board). The deck still screams for more consistency and Jace may offer that. As a result the creature count will be lower and it becomes likely that the opponent will side out his spot removal, making Sower a good SB card.

• Misdirection

• Both Masticores

• Glen something Mage

Matchups:
    I will start to present matchup analysis for the decks which I consider to be a negative matchup. Please be patient as my time is limited. The boarding plans are either based on my current test results / theory or are of experimental nature in the cases were a previous plan has failed.

• Merfolk
      Let’s start with the perhaps worst matchup this deck has. There biggest threats are LoA, Standstill and Echoing Truth. So keep your FoWs for these preferably, especially Standstill and Echoing Truth. LoA and lots of other creatures can still be slowed / stopped by Propaganda and Ensnaring Bridge.

I really tested a lot against them and still looking for ways to solve this matchup. After testing Painter and being satisfied, I currently test this strategy + SB cards:
      -4 Chalice
      -1 EE
      -3 Sower
      -2 Tezzeret
      +4 Spell Snare
      +4 Propaganda
      +1 Bridge
      +1 Needle

Chalice doesn’t help much against them, if they get Vial online its basically useless. Sower isn’t that great and is cut together with Tezzeret, because of their manacost. I anticipate to be mana disrupted therefore I want to reduce my curve.

• Storm Combo
    • Zoo
    • Bant Countertop
    • Landstill
      Not really sure depends really on the pilot. I had games were I was completely outnumbered with answers / card advantage from his side. While I consider siding out combo pieces here, a quick combo can sometimes bring you the victory. Definitely a hard matchup, but you won’t face it that often hopefully.
      +3 Clique
      +1 Needle
      +1 Crucible
      -2 Ensnaring Bridge
      -3 Sower
      -1 Chalice if you want to bring something other.
    • Goblins
      Another very hard matchup – again is Chalice quite bad and both the combo and Ensnaring Bridge can be (completely) negated by Goblin Piledriver.
      Same boarding plan as Merfolk. If you play against a monored version, which relies on Goblin Tinkerer as artifact removal, using Needle on him can be a strong play. While Bridge isn’t quite good against them, it eventually stalls them. If they have 4 Waste as mana disruption, you might keep Tezzeret.
    • Ichorid

• Bant Survival
      In order to avoid Bilbo i side in the following way:
      -2 Chalice
      -1 EE
      -2 Tezz
      -4 FoW
      +4 Spell Snare
      +3 Clique
      +1 Bridge
      +1 Needle
      I got raped by an early Bilbo before, so I will try this plan to avoid him. Needle helps against Survival and Pridemage. I may keep the 4 Spell Snare out and put 4 FoW back in, haven’t decided yet.

Play Tips:
    Using the combo
    In general, most decks cant beat if you get it online fast so play accordingly.
    Somewhat obvious, if you get the combo online with a bunch of other cards in hand you might be tempted to play those to further increase your advantage you might think. Often its better to stop casting at all and just produce tokens each turn.
    Think about which card your enemy could play a produce tokens accordingly in either your turn or their turn.

Why play Tezzeret

Deck Name
    While I am open to suggestions for a better deck name, please don’t call it “Tezzerator”, this would suggest that it is a Extended port, which it isn’t, also this name is fugly.
    Also don’t call it Tezzeret Stax, besides the manabase there is no similiarity to Stax decks as there is no mana / permanent denial involved here.

Again the missing pieces will be added when I have time or if there is new insight. Thanks for reading.

Linkt to a small tournament report: http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15891
    Last edited by deadlock; 12-23-2009 at 05:10 PM.
    BBB

Magic Player Decapitator
    Nov 2009

Re: Tezzeret Foundry

How exactly does the Thopter Foundry/ Sword of the Meek combo work? It isn't infinite, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Buying duals for 30 a piece is certainly smart. Buying 4 Eureka (a terrible card) is not. :/

Knowing what to buy is just as impo as knowing when to buy.

A Dedicated Storm Player...
    May 2008
    Universe > Laniakea > Virgo Supercluster > Milky Way Galaxy > Solar System > Earth By the moment...

I'm thinking also in buildidng the deck with tezz and thopter/sord combo,
    but´I think the best approach is the control one withouth those citys and a.tomb and mybe the inclusion of c.b/s.d.t ,
    also as you say thopter requires U/W at least, so in my opinion I'll leave the way you build the deck less depentdant on thopter/sword for example with the gifts u. approach.

therefore 3 choices in my opinion:
    - your build with less thopter/swords + gifts approach (and more tezz maybe)
    - control build with no ancient/city
    - control build with no ancient/city and c.b /s.d.t

The Solution

Test
    Last edited by The Solution; 04-02-2015 at 06:30 PM.

Poisonous Foogoofiish
    Feb 2006
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Kangaxx View Post
    How exactly does the Thopter Foundry/ Sword of the Meek combo work? It isn't infinite, correct?
    I added an explanation under Card Choices /Thopter Foundry - Sword..

Pelikanudo i also considered other shells, but the truth is that you need two things for the combo to work at it fullest potencial:
    -A lot of mana to produce tokens quickly, like i said in the primer.
    -Getting the combo online fast: without City / Tomb or the need to tutor for the pieces with Gifts you are simply to slow in some cases. I have maxed both pieces for a reason, you can still reduce the numbers in g2/g3.
    About the CB shell, compare it to the problem with running CB and SotF together - both engines need a lot of mana. Its the same with Foundry.

About the above post, your deck is something completly different, please start a new thread for it. On a sidenote not using either Brainstorm or Chalice in a blue deck like this is.. strange - especially with such overhelming toolbox approach (another difference between the two decks).
    BBB

The Ineffable
    Nov 2007

I personally think Trinket Mage is a waste of a slot in the deck since can't get either combo piece or top. Regardless you should run 1x Meekstone if you insist on running it (plus it works w/ Tezzeret).
    Quote Originally Posted by Rico Suave View Post
    Few things are as vague, nondescript, and frustrating as when people talk about tempo on a MTG website.

Poisonous Foogoofiish
    Feb 2006
    Germany

I personally think Trinket Mage is a waste of a slot in the deck since can't get either combo piece or top. Regardless you should run 1x Meekstone if you insist on running it (plus it works w/ Tezzeret).
    Very interesting comment, i always thought of Trinket Mage as a fine card which gets the job done, but nothing too spectacular. As he can grab Chalice mainly, which is a good play - but could be done by something like Fabricate or Intuition too. In addition these could fetch your combo pieces and Bridge, which is quite a boost.
    The questions which remain are:
    - How relevant is Trinkets Mage 2/2 body?
    - What replacement, currently i am leaning towards Fabricate, but i consider Intuition and even Gifts too. The last too would require a Crucible in the main in my opinion, which would more drastic changes, like moving Sower to the board. For now i will simply test 3 Fabricate in the slot of Mage.
    BBB

The mad statistician
    Nov 2009

I like the deck and the combo itself, but I am worried about one aspect of the list you posted. Do you ever find yourself lacking disruption and board control? 4 Force of Will seems on the very low end for spot-countermagic. I understand that the Chalices definitely help, especially because you can seek them out (pun intended) and, at 1 or 2 counters, they will shut down most decks in the format. Explosives also help for a similar reason. But I am not sure what this deck can really offer against combo decks. With only 4 FoW to deal with threats on the spot, you would have to rely on getting an early Chalice and hoping it is set at a dangerous mana cost. In the early turns, that probably means 1 counter, but many combo decks can play around that with ease.

Now, it might not be a weakness of the deck, persay. After all, there are not too many combo decks around in the format, at least at the highest levels of play. But against the ones that do lurk (Solidarity, ANT, Belcher, Reanimator, Entomb Hulk, etc.) I am concerned that the deck lacks real stopping power. (Reanimator is arguably a combo deck, so I will put it up here as one).

There are a number of ways to correct this. Have you considered any Aether Spellbombs? The low cost, searchable bounce would be invaluable against all of the creature based combo decks like Cephalid Breakfast, Reanimator, Hulk, and so on. By a similar token, what about Trinisphere to deal with the rest? You have ample mana acceleration courtesy of your mana base. A turn 1 Trinisphere is flat out game over for many combo decks in game 1, before sideboarding. Even if you don't want it maindecked, it should at least go in the sideboard.

How useful is Propaganda really? Thopter/Sword combo is already strong against aggro. Throw in an Ensnaring Bridge and you have an almost bulletproof anti-aggro plan. Propaganda is redundant.

As to Trinket Mage, I like the 2/2 body on the guy a lot. Especially against Merfolk where, in many cases, he will prevent at least one of their Lords from attacking (the 2/2 Mage is not worth trading with a 2/2 Lord of Atlantis in the vast majority of cases). In addition to chumping, pitching to FoW, ,and random beating, he also seeks out most of your answers. Definitely include this baby.

Just some random thoughts regarding the deck.
    -ktkenshinx-

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Here's a Ugw version that I just assembled:

--PWs [4]--
    2 Tezzeret the Seeker
    2 Jace, the Mindsculptor

--instants [22]--
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will
    3 Spell Snare
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Path to Exile
    3 Thirst for Knowledge

--artifacts [12]--
    1 Sensei's Divining Top (could be Foundry #3)
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Engineered Explosives
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Sword of the Meek
    2 Thopter Foundry
    2 Vedalken Shackles
    1 Crucible of Worlds (could be Sword #2)

Land [22, 23=better?]
    1 Academy Ruins
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Flooded Strand
    8 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Seat of the Synod
    2 Tundra
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Forest

I believe Shackles, the combo (and Jace) suffice as kill cons.

SB:
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Trygon Predator
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Rhox Warmonk
    3 Relic of Progenitus
    ---
    Let me know what you think.

Poisonous Foogoofiish
    Feb 2006
    Germany

Concentrated on Dreadstill the last days / week so therefore no activity.
    The biggest problem with the posted build is that its quite inconsistent and lacks business spells. This comes from running 28 mana sources, which dont get abused enough outside the combo (compare to Aggro Loam and Armageddon Stax - both put there mana / lands to good use).

If someone has ideas and wants to go with the Stax-like manabase, this is what i consider as skeleton of the deck:

// Lands
    2 [TSP] Academy Ruins
    3 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (4)
    4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
    3 [EX] City of Traitors
    1 [MR] Seat of the Synod
    5 [CS] Snow-Covered Island
    1 [B] Tundra
    4 [ON] Polluted Delta
    1 [B] Underground Sea

// Spells
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    4 [ARB] Thopter Foundry
    4 [MR] Thirst for Knowledge
    1 [ALA] Tezzeret the Seeker
    4 [SH] Mox Diamond
    4 [FUT] Sword of the Meek
    4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
    2 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    1 [SH] Ensnaring Bridge
    + 8 cards, with atleast 4 slots that draw / tutor stuff. Something like Impulse, Fabricate, Gifts or Intuition. Also additional ways to stall aggro are needed.

--------

In order to fix the mentioned problemsi currently thinking about a more MUC oriented build, here is the starting point for this:

// Lands
    2 [TSP] Academy Ruins
    2 [B] Tundra
    2 [B] Volcanic Island
    6 [ZEN] Island (2)
    1 [MR] Plains (1)
    3 [TE] Ancient Tomb
    4 [ON] Flooded Strand
    1 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
    1 [ON] Polluted Delta

// Spells
    1 [FD] Vedalken Shackles
    1 [10E] Crucible of Worlds
    2 [SHM] Firespout
    3 [MM] Counterspell
    4 [ARB] Thopter Foundry
    3 [FUT] Sword of the Meek
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    3 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    3 [MR] Chalice of the Void
    3 [TE] Intuition
    3 [MR] Thirst for Knowledge
    2 [CHK] Gifts Ungiven
    3 [CST] Brainstorm
    3 [MR] Chrome Mox

The list looks a little unfocused, which is so because its both just a rough sketch and it runs both Intuition and Gifts. I dont want to give detailed card description for now, because i have to test first. Just wanted to give you a glimpse of what direction the concept may head.
    BBB

Just a question, why doesn't this deck play Painter Servant Grindstone. I screened trough the thread but couldn't find it.

This way you win the turn after Tezzeret wins the game... Am I missing something?

@Deadlock: your first line got me thinking... Why not put it in a Dreadstill shell... The still will probably be removed, but a almost MUC deck with Counterbalance/Top and a combo finish smells very good.

- Benie

Oct 2009
    Hamburg, Germany

how about this:

// Lands
    1 Academy Ruins
    3 Tundra
    2 Volcanic Island / Tropical Island (depending on what sideboard you aim at)
    5 Island
    1 Snow-Covered Island
    1 Plains
    2 Ancient Tomb
    1 Seat of Synod
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Polluted Delta

// Spells

2 Tezzeret the Seeker
    2 Vedalken Shackles
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Thopter Foundry
    2 Sword of the Meek
    4 Force of Will
    2 Engineered Explosives
    3 Enlighted Tutor
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Thirst for Knowledge
    2 Gifts Ungiven
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Grindstone
    1 Painter's Servant
    3 Counterbalance
    2 Sensei's Divining Top

- CB/Top shell (well not as 4 offs but should be ok with tutors)

- alternative win condition with Painter/Grindstone.

- You can tutor up both win conditions with E.Tutor/Tezz/Gifts

Perhaps add 1 Ensnaring Bridge but don't really know what to cut
    currently playing:

Maverick, Dredge, TES..: still lot of work to do...

- anonyme Weltstars -

Ur tears of nerdrage taste so sweet to me.
    Feb 2008
    Do not care.

Quote Originally Posted by Benie Bederios View Post
    Just a question, why doesn't this deck play Painter Servant Grindstone. I screened trough the thread but couldn't find it.

This way you win the turn after Tezzeret wins the game... Am I missing something?

@Deadlock: your first line got me thinking... Why not put it in a Dreadstill shell... The still will probably be removed, but a almost MUC deck with Counterbalance/Top and a combo finish smells very good.

- Benie
    Because it is easier to get rid of a combo involving a creature than an enchantment.
    Painter is to fragile, as is Dreadnought, though the Dreadnought combo costs less, is more aggressive and stifle is useful apart from comboing the dreadnought on the table.
    BUT it takes more slots than the Painterstone combo.
    I would say this deck shouldn't play any of those and just rely on the foundry-meek thing or tezzeret.
    Additional removal would fit better in the slots of the painterstone combo.

Also I am not sold on CBTop at the moment.
    It's often 1 turn to slow for zoo and somehow don't keeping up with recent decks.
    Dunno, a highly personal impression..
    Would cut it and fill the slots with more actual answers to the bad mu's for this deck.
    Team Legal Actions.

Poisonous Foogoofiish
    Feb 2006
    Germany

EaD gave a really good answer which covers most. Additionally i want to point out that the combo requires quite some mana: By the time you can assemble it, you may need to produce quite a bunch of tokens, even if not - having more mana can still win you the game if your opponent finds an answer to Foundry, but you had the chance to produce tokens for a couple of turns.
    This is also the reason why i hesitate to throw it in the "default" CB / Top shell, as CB/Top requires quite some mana on its own.

Another factor is that the combo runs well with some more artifacts in the deck, as you only need Foundry in play were Sword can be in the yard and a random artifact (e.g. Chalice, Mox or EE for 0) to sacc in play.

Bridge is a good card here - especially if you run Tezzeret too, the orginal list runs at least one - depending on the number of ways to find it. Still the problem to put all these lands to good use or at least turn them into good cards with something like Scroll Rack.
    BBB

The "combo" looks weak to me because it won't win the turn it comes into play. It's much easier to deal with a combo that doesn't win the turn it comes on to the table than one that does - which is why people advocate for Servant/Grindstone. Honestly, it's hard to imagine how Thopter/Sword is going to be better than a faster combo Servant/Grindstone, if you're looking for speed, or a straight up beater like Tombstalker if you're looking for reach.

Since both of the components are permanents and artifacts, you might find a home for it in some kind of affinity or stax deck, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect it to work as a combo finish.

Colonizer of Dreams

Aug 2009

Im currently playing around with this version:

Code:
    // Lands
        1 [TSP] Academy Ruins
        4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
        5 [ZEN] Island (3)
        4 [ON] Polluted Delta
        2 [MR] Seat of the Synod
        1 [ZEN] Swamp (1)
        2 [R] Underground Sea
        1 [R] Tundra

// Creatures
        3 [FD] Trinket Mage

// Spells
        1 [MR] Chalice of the Void
        4 [MR] Chrome Mox
        3 [4E] Counterspell
        1 [FD] Engineered Explosives
        4 [SH] Ensnaring Bridge
        1 [ALA] Executioner's Capsule
        4 [AL] Force of Will
        3 [AL] Lim-Dul's Vault
        1 [10E] Pithing Needle
        3 [DIS] Spell Snare
        3 [FUT] Sword of the Meek
        3 [ALA] Tezzeret the Seeker
        3 [MR] Thirst for Knowledge
        3 [ARB] Thopter Foundry

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [TSP] Academy Ruins
    SB: 2 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    SB: 4 [UL] Engineered Plague
    SB: 4 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
    SB: 4 [NE] Submerge
    Im quite satisfied with the version. You have to accept, that your Enchantress matchup is horrible. Other than that, it's pretty hard to play against BantSurvival, since they pack a lot of hate main. If they get a survival online you are very likely to lose the game.

But it's so much fun to play this deck, so i will keep playing it for sure. Submerge in the board have been very good. The only thing i currently miss is another pinpoint removal main, so i probably will go back to playing Doom Blade main, since it's the best black removal to hit Iona.

Colonizer of Dreams

Aug 2009

Played the deck again in Hassloch. This time 43 people showed making it 6 rounds of swiss.

3 Counterspell
    2 Doom Blade
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lim-Dul's Vault
    3 Snuff Out
    3 Spell Snare
    3 Thirst for Knowledge
    2 Engineered Explosives
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Sword of the Meek
    4 Thopter Foundry
    3 Tezzeret the Seeker
    1 Academy Ruins
    3 Ancient Tomb
    1 Badlands
    6 Island
    2 Polluted Delta
    3 Scalding Tarn
    1 Seat of the Synod
    1 Swamp
    2 Tolaria West
    2 Underground Sea

Board:

3 Arcane Laboratory
    2 Perish
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Tundra
    4 Spell Pierce
    4 Submerge

I didn't take notes, so here is a short summary of what happened.

Round 1 against Aggro Loam (without Burning Wish)

So here it comes. First game and i already do a crucial missplay. At the end of the second turn of my opponent i stack my library to draw into Thopter Foundry and after that into Sword of the Meek. I draw the Foundry. Play a Fetchland. Fetch my Sword away and never find another one, nor a Bridge. He simply beats me down. I think i would've one that one, since his only out for that situation would be Devastating Dreams and i had counters in my hand.

In the second game i have a Force for his early Confidant. Too bad i can't handle the upcoming two Confidants. He manages to draw all his Krosan Grip's due to that. So i also lost this one.

0-1-0 (0:2)

Round 2 against Ur Dreadstill

His third turn Dreadnought gets eaten by Snuff Out. An Ensnaring Bridge stalls the board. He manage's to play another Dreadnought. He finds a Trinket Mage to get rid of the Bridge with Explosives. Luckily i have a Force there. Well for the second Trinket Mage, which fetches the last EE out of his deck, i dont have a Force and he does critical Damage. I had another Bridge in my Hand, but he had the Force for it, if he didn't kill me that turn.

In the second game i keep a hand with 4 counters on it and draw myself into another 2 counters. Well Mishra's Factory doesnt give a shit about that and i get beaten down by 2 Factory's.

0-2-0 (0:4)

Round 3 against Dredge

In the first game, i keep a hand with my engine on it. He doesn't have a fast start, so my engine gets rolling and he can't do shit about it. Hurray first win.

In the second game he is simply too fast for me. I don't have a Bridge to stall the board and the Iona on top of it makes it an easy win for him.

Third Game kinda goes like the first one. My Bridge stalls 15 Zombie Tokens, while my Thopter Tokens can attack him.

1-2-0 (2:5)

Round 4 against UWG Countertop

He doesn't find his Counterbalance early on, so i manage to sneak away the win, by handling his early threats with removal and stalling the board later on with Ensnaring Bridge. He doesn't find a Pridemage for my Thopter Foundry and the tokens go all the way.

In the second game he has a very early Counterbalance. He manages to counter some of my stuff, but I'm not beaten yet. At one point i had to tab out and he manages to get Back to Basics into play, which denies me my Ancient Tomb and my black mana. He wins the game.

In the third game he gets his Balance in the fourth turn or something like that online. At that point i already had an Ensnaring Bridge in the play to stall the board. He doesnt hit a Force with his Balance, so i can sneak my Tezzeret into play. From that point on my Tokens go all the way, once more.

2-2-0 (4:6)

Round 5 against Zoo

It's basically coming down to the fact, if i get my engine online before he can do critical damage. I win the dice roll and get my engine online. He doesn't find a Pridemage and I'm able to keep my life out of the red zone.

He has a fast start and the removal for my engine/Bridge in the second game. He wins therefor.

In the third game he also had a fast start with 2 Nacatl. I could get rid of them with Perish. I was quite shocked when he played Burning-Tree Shaman and i had no counter left to handle it. Luckily i drew myself into another removal and my engine seals the deal since he couldnt find one of his Krosan Grip.

3-2-0 (6:7)

Round 6 against UW Merfolk

I was quite satisfied, when i saw the pairing, since i knew i had to face merfolk. So far i didnt lose a single game against Mono-U Merfolk. Too bad UW Merfolk is another story as i had to find out later.

Well in the first game i could stall the board with Ensnaring Bridge and my engine does the job. But it didnt go on like that.

In the second game he had Sygg River Guide and managed to sneak 6 Mana into play. Too bad the tokens are blue, so he gave his critters Protection from Blue and attacked me. I didn't have enough mana to race this loss of life with my engine and i couldn't find a Bridge to stall him.

Well third game kinda goes like the second one. He has a counter for my Ensnaring Bridge and this time Lord of Atlantis makes his critters unblockable. He also played a Meddling Mage on Ensnaring Bridge. I try to race him with my engine but when i made the third token in this turn, he goes for Ravenous Trap. Since i had no other artifact on the board, i had to give up on my Sword or on my Foundry. I gave up on my Foundry, didnt draw another one and he beats me down.

3-3-0 (7:9)

The deck is really fun to play and im currently working on a UWr version. I kinda need to figure out how to get the best out of the engine to really make it worth playing in legacy. Time will tell.

Hi,

Not trying to derail your Tezzeret build, but I thought you might like to have a look at this variant, just in cast you missed it. It's the first deck listed, played by Carlos Santiago, and as the link suggests it was undefeated on the first day at GP Madrid.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...day1undefeated

Thread Information